Dubai: Scottish man jailed for public gay sex was ‘only kissing and cuddling’

1. Not being picky, but just in terms of sheer influence – surely any intervention should be by the FCO and not the Scottish government as foreign affairs are a matter for Westminster.

1. You’re right, Stu, something like this is a reserved matter for the UK Government, and as much I criticise the SNP Scottish Government, if it was me in this position then I’d gladly accept any assistance from any government!

1. @BennieM

Oh, I would accept help from anywhere that was prepared to give it. I was just wondering if the Scottish government would have any influence diplomatically with the Dubai authorities or whether (as they legitimately could) would turn to the Scottish government and advise them to refer their concerns through the FCO and British ambassador. I suspect this is SNP politicising (although it is welcome to see them regard this case as worthy of attention).

1. Yes, I see exactly what you mean about it not being in the power of the Scot Gov and I wonder myself if they’ll be able to do anything at all.

To be honest, I suspected the same about the SNP muscling in for their own ends but I didn’t like to say so! I’m trying to be less critical of the SNP than I usually am and give them credit when it’s due.

2. Stu – btw I just gave your comment a thumbs down insread of a thumbs up by mistake – sorry!

1. No prob!

2. Good luck to him but it still remains he was commiting an illegal act in that part of the world.

It is terrible that he has lost his job at home too!

Shame on the Scottish Government for not getting involved too!

1. I don’t think he lost his job at home.

From my reading of this article, he was working as a teacher in Dubai, and lost his job there because of this.

Really, what possible reason could there be for him to lose his job in Scotland?

1. I think that you are right, I mis-read. However, in terms of losing his job here all it takes is a few homophobic parents and it spirals from there!

2. Sister Mary Clarence 17 Apr 2012, 8:58pm

Well the obvious reason would be his need to take three years off I would have thought

However, all a misunderstanding and it seems the job was in Dubai anyway.

3. If you choose to go to Dubai and choose to break their laws you should expect to face their justice system.

All that said, good luck to him, I hope his appeal is successful.

1. Sister Mary Clarence 17 Apr 2012, 8:59pm

Indeed, but you should also expect to be treated fairly and equally under their laws. I think that is his point.

1. This is Dubai where fairness and equality do not appear top be in their vocabulary!

4. I have no idea why any self respecting gay man would go on holiday to a very homophobic country, such as Dubai! Go and spend your money in gay friendly countries.

1. Gattagiudecca 17 Apr 2012, 5:07pm

I totally agree. I don’t want to put any money into a regime that is homophobic. I am constantly telling my straight friends to boycott these countries to show some solidarity with me.

5. Does anyone else think the story of the guy who saw them and called the police is a bit dodgy? He parked behind a petrol station for a nap! It’s not beyond the realms of possibility, I suppose!

1. Gattagiudecca 17 Apr 2012, 5:10pm

Oops -i thumbs downed your comment by mistake. Perhaps the guy who reported it was jealous or had been turned down!

1. I just did the exact same thing with Stu’s comment above! Maybe they should get rid of these thumbs up, thumbs down buttons!

1. Thanks BennieM lol

I cancelled Gattagiudecca’s thumb down for you!.

1. Thanks, Stu!

2. I agree with your suggestion about the witness. I bet he parked there hoping for a quickie and they weren’t interested. Why else would someone park somewhere quiet and out of thd way at night like that?

2. If they were having sex then it def sounds like dogging going on, and in attempt to make himself appear more innocent he phoned the police and reported it – afterwards naturally.

6. Let’s be very clear about Dubai – no Briton with any decency should visit the place.

Not only is homosexuality illegal, but the economy functions because of modern day slavery.

The vast majority of the service and construction staff in Dubai have been trafficked to that country and are treated as slave labour.

1. dAVID

You keep saying this, and largely I agree with you.

What happens when you work for an organisation that sometimes sends you overseas (as I used to) and the routing of your flights involves a stop over in Dubai.

I would never choose to go to Dubai (unless the regime changed massively) but I have spent 18 hours in a hotel there on 2 occasions.

I never left the hotel, had 1 drink in the bar, swam, ate in the restaurant and slept.

If I could have chosen the flight routing we would have gone via Singapore, Hong Kong or Johannesburg – unfortunately this was not an option open to me.

Would you say I should have refused the trip?

1. Keith Farrell 17 Apr 2012, 6:10pm

I would say that you are doing the right thing Stu, I do find it funny how these countries can make such laws against gay people, but at the same time feel that it is acceptable to own slaves (or at the very least treat people like slaves) seems it is ok to bed your male slave because he is a non person in their eyes, all double standards. I do wish there was some way that we could get equal rights every where but I dont think that will happen in my lifetime, at least not unless we are prepared to die fighting.

2. Gattagiudecca 17 Apr 2012, 8:10pm

I think it is fair enough if you are there because your company/employer. You cant really control that. But someone actually choosing to go there of your own free will for a holiday is something i don’t really understand. I also get annoyed by straight people telling me how wonderful it is. They couldn’t care less that the regime is homophobic.

1. People tend not to care about things that don’t directly affect them.

7. Paddyswurds 17 Apr 2012, 6:07pm

Why are there so many stupid people in the world in “012. With all the money being spent on education world wide one would think we would be on top of things by this stage. Surely there are more gay friendly places in the world where two Gay men kissing isn’t such a huge deal. frankly I am not in the slightest in sympathy with these two idiots…..if you put your hand in the fire, you are gonna get burned; end of…….

1. Paddyswurds 17 Apr 2012, 6:07pm

2012…** obv

1. Keith Farrell 17 Apr 2012, 6:12pm

There are only about 10 places in the world where we have our rights, but there are something like 240 countries, yes we are legal in some of them, but very few

1. Keith-there are less than 196 countries in the world, dope!

1. Paddyswurds 17 Apr 2012, 6:48pm

Given that there are at least 5 countries still awaiting recognition by the UN and that there are countries being born every now and then, it is hardly cricket to call the dude a dope, altho 240 is a tad over excited……

2. Norman

There are 207 sovereign states in the world.

78 of those countries regard being gay as a criminal offense, 5 countries have the death penalty.

Of those countries where it is not illegal – the rights and restrictions vary.
            It depends how you define rights (I presume Keith means 10 countries where we have equality including marriage – shortly to be 11 with Denmark and many more queuing to join). I personally think we have great rights in those 11 countries and very good rights in another 12 countries, and in some parts of a few other countries. The rest range from average to appalling.
            Don’t get me wrong, we should never accept anything less than full equality, we also must recognise when there are positive developments.

3. Paddyswurds 17 Apr 2012, 9:20pm

@Stu…
            ….Not that I would ever presume to question Wikipedia, but the UN only recognises 196, 194 if you leave out Cosova and Montenegro. There is also the small matter of Taiwan.

4. @Paddyswurds

lol

Well, I suspect the following states would be those that would complete the number:

Abkhazia – recognised by 8 other states (not UN member)
            Azawad – self declared independence, unrecognised by other states (not UN member)
            Cook Islands – not full UN member, member of some UN agencies. Recognised by 4 states. Strong co-operation with NZ, who recognises its independence.
            Kosovo – recognised by 89 states and member of some UN agencies.
            Nagorno-Karabakh – recognised by 3 other disputed states. No UN membership.
            Niue – recognised by 2 states. Member of some UN agencies. Similar relationship to NZ as Cook Is.
            Northern Cyprus – recognised by 1 state. No UN membership. Other international bodies seek to influence N Cyprus.
            Palestine – recognised by 130 states. Member of a UN agency.
            Sahrawi Arab Dem Rep – recognised by 84 states. No UN involvement. Member of African Union.
            Somaliland – de facto
            South Ossetia – recognised by 4 states and 2 disputed territories

8. If you travel/work/live in a country where the law is largely influenced by the Koran = keep it in your pants! When in Rome….

1. I thought he was in DubaI?

1. Sister Mary Clarence 17 Apr 2012, 9:02pm

Yes, but if you jumble all the letters up and change them, you get Dubai

9. Paddyswurds 17 Apr 2012, 6:38pm

2012…..

10. This is why Scotland should be made to be independent – they just bring the rest of the U.K. Down with their primitive ways.

1. Oh yes because any other UK citizen would never possibly get caught in such a situation.

WOW I managed to type a whole comment despite my primitive ways. Now excuse me while I go get a fire started for dinner

1. Kris

Much success rubbing those sticks together? ;-)

I seem to remember there was a straight English couple who were imprisoned for public sex in Dubai a couple of years back – clearly not just the Scots!

2. & FYI I have responded to the equal marriage consultations for both Scotland and the UK with the exact same answers as I believe the UK is better off together and I want to see equality in all parts of the UK

3. @jonnie

If we Scots decide we want independence, then it will be up to us to vote for it in the referendum. Nobody else can make us independent, not even you. And for all you know, we may decide we don’t want it at all and we can carry on bringing down the rest of the UK with our primitive ways jntil the end of time.

1. ….that should have said “until the end of time.”

4. In fact, I think I’ll vote against Scottish independence just to p*ss jonnie off!

5. You bring the UK down with your primitive comments!

11. I think the real issue is not so much what the Dubai authorities have done. Rather that 4 years ago a straight couple were sentenced for 3 months for having sex on a beach and there was an international outcry (I remember it all over the news) which caused their release and to be returned to the UK. However, two men allegedly do exactly the same thing, they’re sentenced for 3 YEARS and there’s not so much as a peep out of the mainstream press. Now it turns out they may have been duped into making a false confession and this is still the only press site that I’ve seen reporting on it.

The double standards of Dubai regarding gay man is wrong but at least they’re honest about making them.

1. Not only the double standards of Dubai, as you point out, the mainstream media here couldn’t really care less.

12. Is anyone else suspicious of the guy who reported this that ‘was exhausted and decided to park his car for a nap at a petrol station’?

13. There is no question that the defendant broke the U.A.E law and has to suffer the circumstances or “pay the price” as some people said but why a 3 years sentence where other SAME cases got 6 months to 1 year MAX!
    On April 10th the Dubai court sentenced 2 Indian men for 6 MONTHS plus deportation for having sex in a public toilet.
    On April 11th the Dubai court sentenced our Brit and the other defendant for 3 YEARS plus deportation for their case.

Both stories were published in the crime section on Gulf News online, check it our yourslelf!
    Can anyone please explain this? People can hate the “Gays” as much as they want but you just can’t help but be sympathetic over the UNFAIRNESS in trial and sentence!!!

Bear in mind that the defendants had only confessed for kissing and cuddling and not having sex!

1. But as all court proceedings are conducted in Arabic (without translateors), the defendants may well have little idea what they’re supposed to have confessed to.

2. Similarly, there appears to be no fairness or equality in these countries. I do have every sympathy for the men concerned but they knew the risks that they were taking, even for having a kiss and a cuddle!

14. This happens when you decide to spend your gay holidays in a barbaric homophobic hole like Dubai. I hope he gets out of this.

15. where is the international outcry here? O wait its because they are a gay couple. Duh!