Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie give up on waiting for marriage equality and get engaged

1. They are engaged … and they have said the marriage may be some years off (according to BBC reports) – so they clearly are prepared to wait a little longer and Pitt did say in February that he would like to keep his promise re equal marriage.

2. NorthernPal 13 Apr 2012, 11:02pm

Well Done to them . . . . . They have voiced support for Marriage Equality and we can’t expect them to not marry. I’m sure they will still support Gay Right’s when they are married.

3. It’s much easier to marry than to hold your breath.

4. Stuart Neyton 14 Apr 2012, 12:48am

they’ve played their part. If that’s what they think is right for their family then they should go ahead and marry. We don’t expect lesbians and gays in places where they can marry to hold off until those in places where they can’t can too.

I’m sure they’ll have a lovely wedding.

5. Craig Denney 14 Apr 2012, 1:02am

At least (by Deed Poll) they should change their surnames to Smith to make up for this U-turn?

6. I think this is reasonable of them, if it’s something their children really want of them. These two adults have been helpful and supportive so far.

7. Dr Robin Guthrie 14 Apr 2012, 2:10am

Go for it Brad.

I only got half of what I wanted, however I am old and ugly enough to understand that even if I get full marriage entitlement it will still not stop some grunt from beating the sh!t out of me.

8. Newsround report this morning 9am):

“And finally, after more than 7 years together, the Hollywood stars Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt have got engaged. The announcement came after the actress was photographed with a large diamond ring on her finger. No wedding date has been set yet, though.”

9. Are same sex couples allowed to get engaged?
    It is a declaration of an intention to marry isn’t it.

1. My partner and I have been engaged for a while… And waiting…

10. Saturday, 19 February, 2005
    A gay couple have become the first same-sex pairing to announce their engagement in the Times forthcoming marriages column.

However this couple were planning to have a civil partnership which is something neither my partner nor I would consider, Should those of us same sex couples intending to marry announce our engagements now in anticipation of a change in the law?

1. Robert in S. Kensington 14 Apr 2012, 12:13pm

What would have been a great political statement but probably not doable would have been to have had thousands of couples leaving the UK and getting married in any of the 10 countries and several states in America, then return to the UK with a certificate of marriage, no matter if the government downgrades them to civil partnerships. At least it would send a strong message that the two institutions aren’t equal hence the downgrade and the steps that couples are prepared to take to get a legal marriage elsewhere. It would further embarrass the government in the international arena.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 14 Apr 2012, 12:17pm

I think it’s a very neat thing to do even though marriage isn’t available to us. Similar to my previous post, if thousands more did this instead of actually entering into a CP, it might have a significant impact on the public at large. I wonder if any newspaper would decline such requests to advertise the announcements though? Is it legal or would it just be construed as frivolous. I can just hear the bleating from the Daily Mail and Telegraph.

1. Bisexual woman in Edinburgh 14 Apr 2012, 6:48pm

I doubt it would help, it would just lower the CP stats and people could say, “Look, gay people don’t really want to commit to each other.”

It seems like the only point in delaying marriage while you wait for equal marriage is if you’re a celebrity! It would be good if we could have some sort of movement for people who want to delay their marriage or CP, whether they’re a mixed-sex couple or a same-sex couple, for this reason. That way your stand could actually count, instead of being ignored.

11. This is evidence that for some people marriage can be important to the family unit and is a celebration of the love they have; thus, it should be an open choice to everyone and not used to exclude.

They have done their part for us. I want them to offically celebrate their union.

12. Shame they didn’t wait for the redefining of adultery before they went ahead with that too!

1. correct me if im wrong, they live in usa not iran, right?

2. How is the weather in Dumfukistan?

13. Shock! Horror! Faux-liberal Hollywood stars show they have no principles. I’ll bet that back in the days of apartheid, people wouldn’t have said “oh well”, if Pitt had decided to do a publicity tour of South Africa, “saying the end of apartheid is just coming so slowly.”

What a bunch of PR whores they both are.

1. surely you didnt expect him to dump her for you?

2. They’ve got engaged.. they are not married yet.. get off your pedestal

3. Agreed. So people are so desperate to think well of ppl who even consider standing by us for equal rights that when those ppl just give up cos too hard, its applause all round. Thank ye sir for even remembering we don’t have rights.

14. Yet another traditional Hollyweed marriage like Tony Perkins and Beri Berenson between a gay man and a lesbian. Anyway, the gay community can do without such closet cases as supporters. Guess Brad decided boyfriend George Clooney was never gonna make it official.

1. and you thought that he would settle for you when george said no

2. Cheesus of Nazareth 14 Apr 2012, 2:16pm

Oy! Don’t be such a schmuck Jafuf! Really some people just are straight and Brad and intended do truly support equality too. OK he’s broke your heart we understand that’s life you can find someone new if you try.

3. What a foolish thing to say! These two are constantly on our side, if he were gay I am sure he would have come out a long time ago!

4. What silly thing to say! These two have been on our side for a long time and I am sure if he were gay he would have come out a long time ago

5. I really dislike like idiots like you within the LGBT community.. there seems to be a minority who genuinely think every gay male in Hollywood is gay.. deluded comes to mind

1. that’s every male.. not every gay male.. stupid error on my part ;)

6. Oh, grow up.

15. Good luck to them! The fact that they are speaking up on the issue really is enough for me!

1. Robert in S. Kensington 14 Apr 2012, 6:51pm

If only we had our own celebrities doing the same! Would be great if David and Victoria Beckham followed suit.

16. Robert in S. Kensington 14 Apr 2012, 2:50pm

This digresses a bit, but I would assume the couple will have a pre-nuptial agreement to preserve one another’s assets in the event of a divorce? Pre-nups are very common among wealthier people. I wonder if there is such a thing for civil partnerships? I can’t seem to find any information online.

1. Have your solicitor draw up a pre-nuptial agreement covering your assets and earnings.

17. Robert in S. Kensington 14 Apr 2012, 5:06pm

Why is it we in the UK have no hetero celebrity or celebrity couple supporting equal civil marriage? I just don’t get it. Are we to assume their silence means they oppose it?

1. I think it just means they’re indifferent and/or think CPs are enough.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 15 Apr 2012, 12:55pm

Indifference = apathetic, not interested. Sad.

2. Daniel Radcliffe is one example of a straight British celebrity that is openly pro LGBT rights.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 15 Apr 2012, 12:56pm

I know he is, but I’ve not read or heard any commentary from him on equal marriage though, have you? It’s important that celebrities speak up and show support.

18. Well done to them. As many have said they have shown their support for gay marriage and equality, if they do marry befofe this is legal across American that’s fine. If they waited until every state allowed Gay Marriage they could wait an awful long time. I say go and get married guys! And thank you for your continued support :)

19. Thomas Alex 15 Apr 2012, 6:37am

BSBSBSBS. They have broken their pledge. What does they say to their marriage?

20. Getting engaged =/= getting married.

Stop freaking out for god’s sake!

21. I wish this kind-hearted power couple all the best with their marriage. They have tried to support equality but they can’t live forever. While GLBT can’t celebrate the joy of marriage yet like them, at least we can rejoice to find out that there is a straight couple out there who supports us.

22. GingerlyColors 15 Apr 2012, 3:09pm

And yet gay people in most US states still have to wait for their right to marry.

23. What a load of sh** there just another Hollywood couple who have used the gay cause to get qudos. Would it not have been a better lesson to thier children for them to have kept thier promise? Sell outs

24. I think the very fact they made this pledge, and continue to support marriage equality is brilliant. Congrats To both of them