Council to discuss marriage and MP’s gender-neutral Shakespeare comments today

1. Fantastic to see that the people of Thanet appear not share the bigoted, irrelevant views of their MP. Time the voted him out!

1. Seconded. Let’s hope Thanet Council provides leadership and moves Thanet into the twenty-first century.

2. Where did you get that idea? If he was voted in, the people must have approved his views.

3. Thanet District Council tonight voted to respond in favour to the public consultation on Equal Marriage – Well done Thanet and lets hope it sets a trend in Kent and beyond!

2. How long before the people of Canterbury speak out against their MPJulian Brazier’s similar bigoted,offensive remarks ?

3. New Aussie 12 Apr 2012, 1:22pm

There are countless Tory backbenchers with similar views plus one or two labour and a few northern Irish politicians. Not wure whether witch hunts are appropriate though as they must represent a certain constituency of thought that is a minority in the country and in the commons. TBH it is the Lords I worry about and there is not a blinking thing we can do to stop the scabrous extremists of the unelected upper house.

1. Spanner1960 12 Apr 2012, 1:28pm

Unelected? I thought Blair put pay to most of that in the first place.
      We don’t want elected, otherwise it just becomes another scramble by mutual backscratching, nest-feathering career politicians with brown bags and bribes flying every which way.

If the Commons comes up with a fair proposition, then the Lords will follow.

1. New Aussie 12 Apr 2012, 2:48pm

Ersonally I have always believed that the house of lords should be completely abolished as it serves no useful function of scrutiny at great cost.

2. bobbleobble 12 Apr 2012, 5:50pm

They’ll have a nightmare getting this through the Lords and I suspect they’ll have to utilise the Parliament Act ultimately. Still, so long as there is a majority in the HoC at the first vote then there won’t be a problem.

As for the HoL it already is a scramble by mutual backscratching, nest-feathering career politicians but at least if it was elected we could boot them out every now and then.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 12 Apr 2012, 2:15pm

Well, there is the Parliament Act that could be invoked if it passes and the HoL rejects it. It could still become law without them.

3. There AREN’T countless Tory Backbenchers, there are a few. Only 20 MPs so far out of 650 MPs in the commons have signed the C4M petition…

If the constituentes of these 20 MPs spoke up against these MPs then they may think again, especially if there is such outrage against them that will lose the precious job in the next election.

4. Only 21% of over 60’s are in favour of gay marriage. Compared to 66% of under 25s. (Yougov poll, March 2012)

Age isn’t the be-all and end-all, I know, but it might be a factor in his and the Labour MPs who have signed C4M’s petition – they’re both older, too.

In no way am I justifying it: just making an observation. I am sure there are MANY older people who support SSM.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 12 Apr 2012, 2:17pm

My 72 year old cousin and her immediate family support (they signed the C4EM petition) as does her mother who is 92. There is hope for other elderly people out there.

2. bobbleobble 12 Apr 2012, 3:10pm

Joe Benton, one of the Labour signatories, is definitely in his 70s but he’s also a very staunch Catholic which I think is more likely to have swayed his vote.

3. Older MPs are less likely to stand for the next election wherast the younger ones will want to keep their jobs for the next 30 yrs or so.

If Cameron wants marriage equality and these younger MPs want to retain a job and continue being a favoured conservative then they will vote with Cameron. The older ones whose future in politics is limited don’t care how they vote, they probably won’t be around for the next election.

5. Joe Delmonaco - New York 12 Apr 2012, 1:36pm

I think he needs a “sassy gay friend” to advise him today.

6. Glad to see a Kentish town questioning their bigoted MP. If he was just bigoted that’d be one thing but bigoted and daft? Even Kent can’t stand for that!

1. Robert in S. Kensington 12 Apr 2012, 2:16pm

Yes indeed, as a former Kent native and now a Londoner.

1. Kent native, and recently returned here from a few years in London. Not backward but definitely conservative central!

7. I hope Roger Gale is loudly booed.

Neo-fascist bigots like Gale need to understand that their viciously extremist bigotry has no place in the year 2012.

8. bobbleobble 12 Apr 2012, 3:46pm

I never actually thought about going to my council about the gay marriage issue but I’ve just read that Manchester City Council passed a resolution supporting the government’s consultation and has replied to the consultation positively.

I’ve just emailed my councillors (one of whom is council leader) asking that they follow suit. Everyone do the same!

9. Dan Savage on What the Institution of Marriage Means (watch this, 2.51mins))

10. Robert in S. Kensington 12 Apr 2012, 9:08pm

I just received a response from that awful man Giles Chichester, MEP for the South West and Gibraltar. If you recall, he called David Cameron’s support equal civil marriage ‘bizarre’.

He accused me of saying I protest too much and my hyperbole of describing his letter to Cameron as outrageous ‘merely betrays my prejudice in this matter.’

I provided him with the list of countries where equal civil marriage is allowed one of which was South Africa. He said that South Africa ‘has same sex unions and are content with that legal status so far as he knew.’ Well, imagine my reaction after reading that one.

I emailed him back with to educate him on the issue. I told him that the Civil Union Act was amended to include hetero and homosexual couples to enter into either a civil partnership or a marriage, in other words, interchangeable for both orientations.

I doubt if he’ll respond but I can’t believe an MEP wouldn’t have researched the issue before responding. He’s not fit to serve

1. Robert in S. Kensington 12 Apr 2012, 9:09pm

And an arrogant piece of nasty work he is too!

2. He’s my MEP and he’s always been a prick!

11. This whole ‘Shakespeare and the Bible will have to be rewritten’ business is the most outrageous red herring. Neither corpus required rewriting when married women were allowed to own their own property which, arguably, was as great a change in historical terms as anything these morons are worrying about. Most intelligent people (a category that does not, apparently, include the MP for Thanet North) are capable of enough flexibility of mind to cope with understanding the values of the past without actually subscribing to them – after all, all Bible-lovers do that regularly.

12. Thanet District Council tonight voted to respond in favour to the public consultation on Equal Marriage – Well done Thanet and lets hope it sets a trend in Kent and beyond!