Study: Coming out is good for your health, if your parents are supportive

1. I’m sorry, but I fail to see the point of this study. Isn’t it obvious to everyone that having parents who hate you, belittle you, force you out of the homes, etc etc etc, isn’t it kind of obvious that that is bad for your mental health?

1. It does seem to state the obvious!

I guess the more interesting figures would be the split between race, religion, education etc rather than the headline “Coming out is good for your health, if your parents are supportive” which is obvious.

I always get a bit worried that these reports get used in a negative way by the Christian orgs as proof that all LGBT people are alcoholics!

1. ‘… I guess the more interesting figures would be the split between race, religion, education etc rather than the headline “Coming out is good for your health, if your parents are supportive” which is obvious…’

How interesting?

1. Spanner1960 12 Apr 2012, 1:30pm

I agree, but then you might get labelled a racist or reliophobe for stating the even more bloody obvious results.

1. Spanner1960 12 Apr 2012, 1:31pm

*religophobe… (is that a word?)

2. This is new information that LGBT children and adults can use to show their parents what happens if they do not support them. Leave a copy of this information where your parents can see it so they know that their actions can help or harm their gay children. Most parents love and want to help their children. Don’t let negative people bring you down. We all know how good it feels to be honest and open with our parents. My parents said they knew that God made me for them and they love and help me knowing I am gay. We need education like this to help people who do not know what it means to be gay. Now that the dark ages of oppression for are ending for LGBT people we can be free as never before and we can help educate more people so they can understand that what they do has an effect on all of us, them and LGBT people. Be the teacher be the change you want to see in the world.

1. most of religious parents wont bother with such findings and fathers often struggle to relate to gay sons, so presenting them with ‘no sh!t, sherlock’ study wont make much difference.

3. The only mention of age in this report is “surveyed 5,658 adults between 18 and 64 years of age.”

So at what point does a person stop being a child of their parents? Just to my knowledge if a person wants to change gender at age 50 and tells their parents, aged 80, then they would still be the couple’s transgendered child no?

1. First of all, allow me to clarify it for you, since you clearly have a hard time understanding context. The statement about your posts were they were in the “hundreds, if not thousands”. A statement you seem incapable of stating is a lie, but simply an “error” because only a couple don’t get through. So if we’re talking a couple in a sense of 1 or 2 individual posts then the statement is a lie. If we want to say the post is an “error” then you saying a couple could mean “well a couple of hundred don’t get through” in which case the statement is an error because it’s only in the hundreds, not the thousands that don’t get through. So again, I don’t define a couple as between 1-100 you dolt, I base it as a number of which ever units is being described. Comprende?

2. are we gonna have a straight pride this year? or was st. patrick day enough to show you straightness?

3. And I would read LGBT children and adults as meaning any child OR adult that falls within being LGBT. Doesn’t neceasarily mean they mean LGBT covers the children AND adults. Sure they could have said LGB children and LGBT adults but that seems a bit long winded no? So, perhaps you may wish to consider yourself as a grammar police on that statement but I think that wopuld be a bit foolish of you to start doing that when half your posts are full of errors themselves

4. State the blooming obvious here!

My parents were uber supportive when I came out and I know I am one of the lucky ones in that respect. GOodness knows what I Would have done if they weren’t?

1. I, too, appreciate how lucky I was when I came out to my parents – although I suspect that there wasn’t really that much “coming out” to be done in my case. Some of the horror stories make you wonder at how fit some people are to be parents.

5. If you are gay and have supportive parents, you’re likely to be happier and have better mental health? I can’t help thinking that the same is true of straight people with supportive parents. If your parents are gits then you’re going to have issues, regardless of your sexual orientation.

1. You certainly will have issues if your parents are ‘gits’, but their rejecting a fundamental part of what makes you you is a whole other order of damage in many cases.
      Ironically, I think I was protected by not liking my parents very much in the first place. Their first reactions to my coming out were bad (although they came round eventually), but a closer relationship would have made me much more vulnerable to being hurt by them. Swings and roundabouts.

6. The article’s first sentence… “Coming out […] to one’s parents […] can significantly improve THEIR mental health, while reducing THEIR propensities for substance abuse…” I beg your pardon? ;-)

7. Spanner1960 12 Apr 2012, 1:33pm

It may help those wishing to come out, but I am certain it does not help the parents worrying.

Whilst I am sure ultimately it is better for all concerned in the majority of cases, one has to judge each situation by it’s merits and not assume that coming out is a good thing in each and every case.

8. Silverythoughts 12 Apr 2012, 1:36pm

It seems like an obvious thing to state but now this study actually states that there is a significant trend with a persons mental health and the environment they ‘come out’ to.

9. what percentage of parents were supportive a) to daughters and b) to sons?

10. In other news, water is wet.

11. “Did you mean LGB children? There is no such thing as transexual children!”

No, you are wrong. T generally stands for transgender, not transsexual. There are plenty of transgender children, who believe they were born in the wrong body, for example. In fact, I expect that most transgender people adopt that identity before they become adults.

12. A “butt buggerer”? Haven’t we spoken before about you assuming my sexuality?

1. Stu, you seem the kind of guy who can help me. Is this something I should consider reporting?

1. Kris,

I can’t answer for you but if you feel that you are being harassed, offended or attacked and that part of that is based on your actual (or presumed) orientation then you have grounds to raise concerns about a hate crime.

What I would say is there are two ways to play it. You could contact your local police (with a print out if possible of some of the offending comments) and ask them to contact Pink News who have the details of the officers already investigating Keith and ask them to include you in the ongoing investigation or you could contact PN and ask them to forward your details to the officers who are handling the investigation.

1. Thanks very much.

2. I think now that Kieth has become personal in his offensive remarks to me (in the name he has chosen), I will now update my statement to police when I speak them and consider that his actions are personal harassment.
        Section 5 of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 seems breached.

1. Heteropride.. Great 2B Straight!.. 14 Apr 2012, 11:38am

And you should be sectined under the mental health act for pubic safetyOne day your delusinal fantasies could distress and harass a person with lesser legal knowledge whereas I see you as a the PN buffon.
          For such a prolific poster (500 posts a week), it is very telling that yo cannot produce a single post of mine that contains criminal content.
          PS. Another day of non arrest = another day of you looking stupid!

1. Having reported your comment to me as a hate incident to PN, I can assure you following their response that their is an ongoing matter with the police. My details have been forwarded to the person involved, and I have their contact details.

I’ve no interest in a slanging match with you about the possible outcomes but I wanted to confirm Stu’s comments in relation to police involvement being true.

2. At no point did I mention prosecution. I stated a fact. I reported your comment to me as a hate incident(not crime). This has been raised and I have the details of an officer who is reviewing your activities. I have given my details should they be required.

I have no interest in discussing any potential prosecution, that’s not my decision to make. I have simply stated the facts that I know. So if you wish to gloat at me, I don’t really get what you’re gloating about

3. Hetero-pride.. Great 2B Straight!. 15 Apr 2012, 9:29am

I am not gloating. I am just identifying another moronic time wster who would burden police with vexatious, frivolous unactionabe nonsense. Meanwhile, real crime is going unsolved due to the homosexualite community and their hatred for opposing views or biblical views, which often is a crime in itself, as a perusal of some of the religious hatred incitement comments on here will show.

4. “hatred for opposing views or biblical views”

I only reported your use of the term “butt buggerer” as a hate incident, which it was(this doesn’t have to be criminal), and my details have been taken. Your religious views have no impact on the incident, though it could be argued this acted as a motivator for your use of such a term, any further action(s) is a matter for others.