Video: TV show ‘Neighbours’ features first ever gay kiss

1. Way to go Neighbours!

2. I like that the snog was subtle, noticeable – but treated as a completely natural and understated event.

3. Great stuff, but Eastenders beat them to the punch over 3 deacdes ago!

1. Yes, but then EastEnders had to back down because of the barrage of complaints, and fairly quickly got rid of the character. Things have certainly changed, but mainly in the last 5 years.

2. ‘EastEnders’ showed its first gay character in 1987 – FIFTEEN years after Australian soap ‘Number 96′ had featured gay character Don Finlayson and his bisexual boyfriend Bruce Taylor, in March 1972. (Don lasted the show’s entire run, later he had a lenthy relationship with the high camp Dudley.) So ‘EastEnders’ did it 25 years ago, but an Australian soap did it 40 years ago.

4. GingerlyColors 11 Apr 2012, 6:23am

Wonderful to see how Australia has progressed since the late 1970′s when the various states started decriminalising gay sex. In the UK gay kisses seem to be coming routine on television. Eastenders was first out of the traps with Colin and Barry way back in 1987 and there was a lot of publicity surrounding Todd Grimshaw and Nick Tilsley’s gay kiss on Coronation street in 2007. I watch ‘Doctors’ on BBC 1 in the afternoons and there have been a number of gay kisses without any negative response from viewers even though it is on after the 1 O’Clock News.

1. I was able to watch Doctors for a while some years ago, and I recall they even had a gay wedding on it.

1. GingerlyColors 11 Apr 2012, 12:12pm

Because I work nights, I get time to watch Doctors. Unlike Eastenders or Corrie it does not have to push the boundaries of acceptability to draw the audiences. There was a gay wedding, or should I say, Civil Partnership ceremony on it almost two years ago. There was also a gay doctor, Simon Bond who had a brief relationship with a paramedic before Simon found out that he was married with a son.

5. Neighbours – Australian TV in general – has been some way behind British TV, but better late than never. And they do seem to be bending over backwards to avoid stereotypes, Chris being a teenage mechanic with no interest in clothes or dancing.

1. Spanner1960 11 Apr 2012, 10:51am

I’d bend him over backwards. Fnar.

1. I used to really fancy Bob Morley when he played Drew in Home & Away a few years ago!

1. Spanner1960 12 Apr 2012, 10:18am

Hmm, I said the same about Jesse Spencer, mmm.. *dribble*

2. GingerlyColors 11 Apr 2012, 12:20pm

I must also mention the classic cult TV series from Grundy in Melbourne, Prisoner Cell Block H. It ran for 692 episodes from 1979 to 1986 in Australia. It was shown on the various ITV channels before being repeated on Channel 5 when that started broadcasting. Set in a women’s prison, It featured a couple of high profile lesbian characters, Judy Bryant, a prisoner, and Joan Ferguson, a crooked prison officer.

1. Prisoner was fantastic, wasn’t it?!!!

1. I discovered recently that Fiona Spence, the actress who played Officer Vera Bennet aka Vinegar Tits, is a lesbian in real life.

2. And the actress who played Rita Conners in Prisoner is in Neighbours at the moment as Karl Kennedy’s new love interest.

2. Aside from ‘Prisoner’, Australian soaps ‘Number 96′ (1972-1977), ‘The Box’ (1974-1977), ‘Cop Shop’ (1977-1984), ‘Skyways’ (1979-1981), ‘The Secret Life of Us’ (2000-2005) all featured gay and lesbian storylines – many with clips on you tube. Drama series ‘GP’ showed a kiss between members of a male couple in 1990 and had a gay male as a regular character. Drama ‘Dance Academy’ showed male-male kisses in 2010 and 2012. ‘Sea Patrol’ showed a male-male kiss in 2011. ‘Neighbours’ has also featured at least three kisses between two women; they were between Sunny and Donna, Sky and Lana, and Rosie and Pepper. ‘The Box’ and ‘Skyways’ had earlier shown kisses between two women.

3. Well Australian TV showed a male to male kiss (on ‘Chequerboard’, ABV-TV, 8.35 pm) in 1972 and many of the soaps of the 1970s and 1980s had regular gay characters (way before ‘EastEnders’). The programs are listed in my other comment and most have plenty of clips on you tube.

6. Great work, love that storyline. :)

7. I could have sworn the Lana/Sky storyline involved a kiss!?

1. balloonable 11 Apr 2012, 10:27am

Yeah it did.

8. Dangermouse 11 Apr 2012, 10:01am

The acting is amazing. worth an Oscar at least.

9. Spanner1960 11 Apr 2012, 10:51am

Bloody hell Sheila, there’s a couple of pooftahs snogging on the box!!
    Way to go sport!

That’s going to put the cat amongst the kookaburras.

10. Pretty undramatic, sure, but I think that’s how it should be, to be honest. Gay kisses shouldn’t be something to be made a big scene over (unless it’s an important part of the plot) but should be as normal as a straight kiss. I hope the TV network doesn’t get flooded with bigoted complaints like the BBC or other channels do when they show gay kisses. Or if they do, they should just ignore them (take note, BBC…).

1. Oddly enough, not that many people watch Nieghbours in Oz apparently, it has exponentially higher viewing figures in the UK!

1. Neighbours, even.

11. Who watches this moronic rubbsih now?

12. Really pleased about this…But it took them long enough…been done loads! lol It’s funny really because I saw a clip from Neighbours yesterday and suddenly I thought ‘I wonder if they’ve had a gay related story yet?!’ and look what happens

13. But… it had a lesbian kiss AGES ago!
    I remember it as a kid.