PinkNews.co.uk to host interactive Mayor of London debates

1. Ken- Why did you use such crazy language about gay people recently? Do you really think that a gay banker would get his penis cut off in Dubai?

Boris- Given that you now say you support equal marriage, why did previously say “Gay marriage can only ever be a ludicrous parody of the real thing”?

1. Staircase2 7 Apr 2012, 11:15pm

Thats a daft question – someone’s been believing what they read in the Boris supporting press FAR too much…

2. Chris Hooper 7 Apr 2012, 3:52pm

To Boris Johnson:
    What did you think of Section 28?

1. de Villiers 7 Apr 2012, 4:27pm

Why ask questions to which you already know the answer – he will say that he was wrong on that and that he now supports the coalition policy. Asking this question will result in you gaining no new insight.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Apr 2012, 4:31pm

I agree. I’m all for people evolving on th equal civil marriage issue and clearly Boris has, as well as the PM and others. Tony Blair was once opposed to it and now supports it. I expect more to follow as the debate continues.

2. Jock S. Trap 8 Apr 2012, 12:08pm

Why ask questions which have absolutely no relevance to 2012?

1. Understanding Boris’ claimed change of perspective on LGBT issues is important to many gay people.

3. Ken – You’ve succeeded in offending a few minorities over the last decade. Looking back, what are the three main things you’ve said or done that you most regret?

4. To UKIP:-

A lot of people, myself included, would like to leave the EU, and hence can be attracted by this aspect of UKIP, which is its flagship policy.

Why then do you alienate so much of this support by opposing Equal Marriage?

Polls show that Equal Marriage is widely supported by the public. As long as you remain the homophobic party, there’s no way that I’ll consider voting for you.

It may be a good idea to have some policies that are obviously out of line with the established parties, but Equal Marriage isn’t one of them; there’s no future for dinosaurs !

1. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Apr 2012, 5:39pm

UKIP will take its cue from C4M saying over 400,000 signatures thus far is proof the vast majority of the British public do not support it. They’ll endorse Ben Bradshaw saying that CPs are sufficient and that we have everything we need.

1. Spanner1960 7 Apr 2012, 9:03pm

Don’t words in these people’s mouths.
        As a fervent UKIP supporter until recently, I would like to know the answer to this too. Above all, I want us out of the EU, but their stance on same-sex marriage has totally alienated me from them and I for one feel totally let down and despondent, and feel there is no party that comes even close to both my political standpoint and my sexuality.

1. so you like ukip’s bigoted and xenophobic ideology but dislike the consistency of their bigotry

1. Spanner1960 8 Apr 2012, 1:37pm

Why is it you consider it either bigoted or xenophobic to want to be rid of this curse of the EU and the fact that over 75% of our laws are now issued by countries other than our own, and we pay over £45m a day to put up with this bureaucratic crap whilst we support the weak economies and allow herds of foreign workers to freely walk in take our own jobs?

That is not xenophobic, it is called “looking after one’s own.”

2. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Apr 2012, 6:31pm

Gerry, it is a great thing that equal marriage is widely supported by the public yet C4EM’s petition has only gathered just about 40,000 to date. Would that we could match C4M’s numbers, I’d feel a lot more confident in winning this battle. It seems the media are reporting far more negativity than anything positive in support of us.

3. Spanner1960 7 Apr 2012, 9:04pm

I totally support this question. UKIP has just lost a hell of a lot of gay voters taking this attitude, including me.

4. Its an interesting question, Gerry

I suspect Robert is right in the answer that would be given – but UKIP have lacked the moral courage to agree to take part – like the BNP – could that be because they are THAT homophobic are running scared, are totally disorganised in their campaigning or lack the resources to respond (due to a complete collapse in support)?

5. Siobhan Benita – What do you think you can offer, that the other mayoral candidates can’t?

6. With about half of the UK’s HIV positive population accessing care in London what will you do as Mayor to ensure that treatment & care budgets are not further cut over the term of your office..

What will you do as Mayor to support efforts to tackle the high rate of new HIV infections, particularly amongst Gay Men & other at risk groups?

1. Benjamin Cohen 7 Apr 2012, 5:07pm

Really important question…

1. Cheers Ben – I would ask the question to all the candidates!

2. John Robertson t/a veganline.com 26 Apr 2012, 3:51pm

I guess treatment and care budgets are NHS shared with (no longer ring-fenced) money to boroughs, and so not a GLA thing but I could be wrong.
        A requirement on funded organisations to publish down-to-earth information about what they offer by level of service, catchment area, and any specific client group would be good.

2. Spanner1960 7 Apr 2012, 9:09pm

Half the UK’s HIV+ positive population may well be in London, but more to the point, how many are gay, or even more specifically, of British nationality? Is London becoming a target for health tourism, and are the indigenous people that require treatment losing out because of the influx of foreign visitors (including the EU) that demand treatment?

1. Typical negative response to an important question Spanner, where is your evidence of health tourism as you put it?

If you have a question on immigration then ask it, and don’t detract from my valid and important question………..

1. Spanner1960 8 Apr 2012, 9:07am

I’m not trying to detract from it, but I do know that for instance that since Barts merged with the London hospital they are deluged with people, most of which are not from the UK, and this is having a significant impact on the treatment of HIV/AIDS in the capital as a result.

1. Personally I don’t think you have a clue about what you are talking about, I certainly am not aware of the significant impact you mention on HIV services in the capital.

If you are concerned about immigration then be up front about it. There is no need to ride on the coat tails of a completely unrelated subject to make your political point.

2. Spanner1960 8 Apr 2012, 4:51pm

I can only go on what I have been told, but I have a number of friends who are nurses in this field, and they all say the same. Their resources are stretched to breaking point because of the influx of foreign visitors, be they ‘health tourists’ or otherwise.

3. I still do not understand how your responses relate to my questions – HIV is an important issue which dose not need to be diluted by your personal views on immigration control / so called health tourism.

From what I remember from a previous posting you don’t even live in London so I really don’t undertand why you are contributing here, other than to bait and aggitate.

4. Spanner1960 9 Apr 2012, 10:22am

I moved out of London at the end of last year because I couldn’t stand the place any longer.
            It’s dirty, crime-ridden, expensive, dangerous and full of foreigners.

5. So your comments have no bearing on this story or indeed my question – just here to bait then I guess, very intelligent and constructive – NOT!

7. To Boris Johnson:

Apart from donning pink Stetson at London Pride, is there anything else you did for LGBT Londoners

1. Spanner1960 7 Apr 2012, 9:10pm

Yes, the same he did for all the other Londoners.
      You want to be treated like an equal, act like one.

1. so whats the f@king point in gay news website having this mayoral debate here

1. de Villiers 7 Apr 2012, 9:32pm

Well it’s not to pose pointless questions that are more about you wanting to shout at someone than learning some information.

1. you mean pointless like you reply?

2. Spanner1960 7 Apr 2012, 11:57pm

Because being gay and being a Londoner are not mutually exclusive. For instance increasing policing protects everyone, including those susceptible to homophobic attacks.
          Likewise education, healthcare and other important issues.

1. my question addresses mayoral debate from position of being gay and living in london.

policing is a complex issue and there is a constant battle for resources within the met’s departaments, addressing and tackling homophobia requires expertise and adequate resources and its the same with nhs (see W6_bloke’s comment) and education i.e homophobic bullying

my question addresses boris’ track record in terms of policies and allocation of resources that exclusively were responsible for improving the lives of gay people living in london

you may not like it but its a perfectly legitimate question and i hope it will be put to boris

2. @Spanner1960

No being gay and a citizen (whether or country, city or district) are not indivisable) – as a gay person we have many (if not all) of the same needs as someone who is not gay.

However, just as various other groups of people have specific needs, so the LGBT communities do currently have some specific individual needs eg hate crime tackling, action on gay marriage, ensuring prejudice is tackled, dealing with homophobic bullying in school and the workplace, discrimination in health settings etc etc

3. Spanner1960 8 Apr 2012, 3:56pm

@Stu:
            The bulk of these matters are at a national level that need to be dealt with by the home office and education departments respectively. At a local level, I agree there needs to be some initiatives to tackle these problems, but this is not primarily the Mayor’s job. I am more concerned with things like overall policing, public transport, congestion charges, local councils running roughshod over people’s rights and numerous other factors.

I think people have to get their priorities in order and state that they are London citizens first, and LGBT second.

4. @Spanner

Well, Boris seems to feel that the Mayoral position is a role which allows him to influence national policy. I agree with him, on that point. Representing around 8 million people does give the mayor an influence on national policy and the right to express an opinion. In that respect its wholly acceptable to seek consideration on issues that might not be seen as completely within the Mayors remit.

The Mayor is also an influencer on crime (He/she has equal influence on the MPS as the Home Secretary).

The Mayor influences local authorities and thus education comes within his remit.

Of course, public transport, congestion, attracting investment to London etc etc are all issues that affect Londoners (regardless of orientation and thus matter to gay Londoners too).

However, it is reasonable to ask mayoral candidates how they will tackle specific issues relevant to LGBT people too. Or how they would seek to influence them.

8. To Ken Livingstone

I support your campaign to be elected as mayor of London once again, but I need an explanation for why you thanked the Islamic ex-gay group, the StraightWay Foundation for their letter letter addressed to you apparently congradulating you for your meeting with Yusuf al-Qaradawi.

Your relationship with Qaradawi I can at least understand since he never visited you in any sort of political or pressure group sort of capacity, he has a history of challenging repressive regimes and many of the quotes used to attack Qaradawi were taken out of context by the national press.

Were you aware of what sort of group the StraightWay Foundation (a gay cure group) were at the time? I want to believe you would never have taken situational ethics this far and I am aware the press has a history of spreading and disseminating lies about you. But in this case, I have never heard a satisfactory rebuttal of this story from you.

9. To Ken Livingstone

Were you aware of what sort of group the StraightWay Foundation (a gay cure group) were at the time? I want to believe you would never have taken situational ethics this far and I am aware the press has a history of spreading and disseminating lies about you. But in this case, I have never heard your side of the story. Please try to be honest.

10. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Apr 2012, 5:42pm

To UKIP: If Civil Partnerships are so equal, would you enter into such a contract if available, and if not, why not and can you explain why more countries are legalising equal civil marriage than those legalising other forms of unions, in fact abandoning them?

1. Spanner1960 7 Apr 2012, 9:12pm

Or more to the point, all things being ‘equal’ would those having married in a registry office be willing to transfer to being civil partners instead? And if not, why not?

1. Robert in S. Kensington 8 Apr 2012, 1:16pm

Exactly! I wonder why nobody has asked any of our opponents that question? It would be great if anyone in the coalition government would put it to them. I would love to hear their responses and I can imagine what they would be, one of which a C4M supporter would probably say…”oh, heterosexual people have marriage, so we don’t need civil partnerships”, those are for the “homosexuals”, as if that gets them off the hook, although to me, it’s not really answering the question, more of an exercise in avoiding it.

1. Spanner1960 8 Apr 2012, 4:59pm

Oh, I think that would answer the question.
          They would be saying essentially “marriage is for ‘real’ relationships, but you’ve got your own ‘lite’ version of it, so what are you complaining about?”

2. Good questions guys

UKIP seem to be running scared and afraid to engage with the LGBT population in this online opportunity to answer questions …

Cowards.

1. Spanner1960 8 Apr 2012, 1:38pm

I agree. I have actually put this to a friend of mine who is a UKIP councillor, and a month later they still have not responded back.

1. Did they give you any reply, Spanner?

11. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Apr 2012, 7:13pm

Bigotry isn’t such a great characteristic, in fact its a flaw mostly confined to idiots like you with a devolved brain. You’re just an example of ignorance and stupidity. Now run along to your hate group C4M and report your findings.

12. All: while legal changes must go alongside social change, civil partnership legislation and the single equalities act has made a huge difference to how out we can be at work, and our rights as parents. The London partnership register made an impact in acheiving this legislative change. As a lesbian and a parent I am concerned about homophobia in schools. What will you do with your community safety and policing role to lead on and tackle homophobia in schools?

13. Boris are the bikes going south of the river?

Was the millions spent on the route master a waste?

Ken do you feel like a fake for using a rich persons way to avoid tax?

If you lose will you let someone else stand for labour?

Brian _ you, have failed to make impact what is your best policy (excluding policing)

1. John Robertson t/a veganline.com 26 Apr 2012, 3:54pm

New routemasters will pay for R&D if they sell, so it’s too early to say. That’s the response you’ll get on buses I guess.

14. Bencohen. I hate reading the anti gat commrnts from, the same user on every story. What are you going to do about it?

1. Nothing

2. Benjamin Cohen 8 Apr 2012, 12:45am

There are hundreds, if not thousands a month you don’t see! He makes it hard to police his comments. We are doing our best

1. What about using disqus?

15. Craig Denney 7 Apr 2012, 8:50pm

In light of the racism in the MET allegations how are you going to make the Met more friendly towards those minorities?

I would propose that Every officer undertakes an interview with independent diversity consultants to weed out racism
    and if racism is suspected which includes colluding between officers to fix answers to the interview, then those officers will be put through very intensive diversity training and re-tested after 12 months and if they fail? Then they will be kicked out of the Police.
    ———————————————–
    The diversity training will also contain training relating to the LGBT community so the question is relevant to the our community.

16. Spanner1960 7 Apr 2012, 9:14pm

Boris:
    What safeguards would you recommend to legally detect, investigate and prosecute people that actively and maliciously try to pervert free speech on the internet where their only intent is to upset, malign and invoke hatred towards minorities?

1. Great question!

2. Keith

Go away.

As for the law, well given that there are now numerous convictions in the English and Scottish courts (along with co-operation with European, US and other law enforcement colleagues across the globe) regarding harassment, inciting hatred and public order/communications offences committed by trolling.

Your time is coming too, Keith.

I am fairly sure most of the candidates will support standing up to cyberbullies and combatting those who incite hatred.

17. To Boris: What would you say to the Tory backbenchers who oppose equal civil marriage, do you think it is a good thing for the Tory party to support and do you think it is wrong for the govt to legislate against religious marriages for gay people despite the fact that LGBT are also religious and that religious orgs wish to perform gay marriages.

18. When you are choosing candidates, especially minorities and thats women, lgbt and people of colors, imigrants as well, you must not only listen to them speak, you must check these candidates backgrounds and so should the media and journalism help, the publica has a right to no what kind of people they are because it will effect their own personal families, a bigot who votes against womens rights and minorities, and gay families, will try and help devestate all of the families above, and neglect to help in thier communities, and aid the programs for their families, they will turn their back on them, check and see what they have accomplished in the positions that they are in right now, and what positive legislations have they signed for families , womens against domestic battery against womens, an sexual harrassment issues, disscriminations issu;es, what programs have they erected to stiop , racism and bullying in the schools and businesses, what have they done for urban areas, an needs

19. DO YOUR POWER POINT LGBT PEOPLE AND ACLU AND LAMDA LEGAL, WHEN CANDIDATES ARE RUNNING YOU MUST HELP WITH THE MEDIA TO SHED LIGHT ON THE CANDIDATES THAT ARE A PROBLEM BECAUSE OF THEIR BIGOTRY AND RACISM , THESE TYPES OF CANDIDATES WILL NOT BE GOOD FOR OUR NATIONS ANYWHERE AND THE FAMILIES AND PEOPLE, 1.—-YOU MUST SEE WHAT THEY HAVE DONE ABOUT THE HOMELESSNESS ISSUES IN THEIR DISTRICTS, AND REGIONS, THIS IS VITAL AND PARAMOUNT, NATIONAL DESASTERS, TO DOMESTIC PROBLEMS AND TO CALAMITY IN PEOPLES LIVES, CHECK WHAT THEY HAVE SIGNED AND NOT RAIISED THEIR HAND TO HELP IN DOING AND YOU KNOW THAT THEY COULD HAVE, IN THEIR POSITIONS YOU DONT HAVE TO WAIT FOR OTHERS TO COME UP WITH EMPATHETIC AND SYMPATHETIC DIAR NEEDS FOR AILING SOCIETY, YOU ACT EVEN IF YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE TO GET SOMETHING DONE ABOUT IT, PEOPLE WITH A BACKBONE AND A HEART FOR PEOPLE, 2. THE BIGOTRY ISSUES, WHERE THEY STAND, , 3. NATIONAL SECURITY, WHAT THEY HAVE DONE TO STOP DOMESSTIC VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN AND THEIR KIDS

20. YOU STOP HATE CRIMES, GANG VIOLENCE, SEXUAL HARRASMENT, RACISM AND BIGOTRY, CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY, AND HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS, YOU SEE WHAT THESE CANDIDATES HAS DONE FOR THESE AREAS, FOR THE ECOMOY , WHAT HAS THEY IMPLEMENTED, LOWERING COST, AND CUTTING COST, FOR THE FAMILIES, INTERESTS RATES GAS PRICES, AND OTHERS REPRIMANDING GREEDY BUSINESS PEOPLE FOR NOT CARING, SANCTIONING OIL COMPANIES EVERYTIME THEY RAISE GAS, PRICES, LOWER THEM AND CAP THEM, , ALL OF THE MAYOR SAND GOVERNORS AND HUMAN RIGHTS JUDGES, AN NATIONA TASK FORCES MUST HAVE THE WHITE HOUSE BREAK OUT THE RESERVES AND LOWER THE GAS PRICES , THEY HAVE NO ESCUSE NOT TO TRY AND AID THE NATIONS, THE UNITED STATES AND BRITAIN, AND AUSTRALIA , AN CANADA, SHOULD BE SANCTIONSING AND REPRIMANDING ALL COUNTRIES, THAT TRY AND RAISE OIL PRICES , PEOPLE ARE COMMUTING, AN THESE GREEDY BILLIANARIR OIL COMPANIES AR HU;RING THE ECONOMY AND FAMILIES EVERYWHERE, AND THATS A CRIME AN ACTIONS MUST BE TAKEN AGAINST THESE TYPES OF MONSTERS,

21. WOMENS ISSUES MUST BE ADDRESSED THEIR GLASS CEILINGS, THEIR SEXUAL HARRASMENT, PEDEPHILIA AND SEX CRIMES AGAINST THEIR KIDS, PRO, CHOICE , ISSUES, THEIR OWN HEALTH ISSUES, AND PROGARAMS, THE DISABLED AND VETERANS ISSSUES MUST BE ADDRESSED AS WELL, HOMLESSNESS, SCHOOL BULLYING AND HATE ATTACKS , BY BAD FACULITY , KIDS AND ADMINISTRATIONS, THESE PROBLEMS MUST BE FIXED AND CAN, EASILY, THEIR IS NO ESCUSE FOR THEM, SIMPLY ANSWERS AND SOLUTIONS TO MANY OF THESE PROBLEMS GANGS, DOMESTIC PROGRAMS AND HUMANITARIAN AIDS , DREAM ACTS , IMMIGRATIONS FARINESS, AND PROTECTIONS, ASYLUMS, ANYONE BORN IN THE UNITED STATES IS A UNITED STATES CITIZEN, WETHER THEY COME FROM HERE THRU ROOTS OF PEOPLE FROM OTHER PLACES, PERIOD. AND MUST BE DEALT WITH ACCORDING TO THAT, FIXING AND HELPING IN THE URBAN AREAS , OVER CROWDED SCHOOLS WHAT HAVE THESE CANDIDATES DONE FOR ALL OF THESE ISSUES, AND THE LGBT , MINORITES, WOMENS AND DIABLES, VETERANS, ISSUES, AND TO HELP INSURE FAIRNES, AND COMMUNITY SAFTEY,

22. CANDIDATES MUST GET THINGS DONE WHERE THE NEEDS ARE AND THATS POOR AN MIDDLE CLASS AREAS, AND THATS WHERE THEIR FOCUS MUST BE , INSTEAD OF BROWN NOSING OTHERS, TO GET IN A HIGH SEAT AND DO NOTHING BUT JOIN CLUBS AN CLICKS AND VIP PARTIES, THIS NATIONS IS DEVASTED AND NEEDS PEOPLE WHO ARE SERIOUS FAMILIY PEOPLE WHO CARE ABOUT EVERYONE AN THIER FAMILIES, BECAUSE THEY HAVE A GOOD HEART, FOR A NATIONS, AND IS WILLING TO ROLL UP THIER SLEEVES AND TACKLE PROBLEMS AND FIX ISSUES THAT AIIL AND HURT SOCIETY, LIKE BIGOTRY, AND VIOLENT CRIMES , AGAINST OTHERS, TRAFFICKING OF WOMEN AND CHILDREN, INSTEAD OF PROMOTING SAFE DATING WITH BACKGROUND CHECKS, IN ORDER TO KEEP OTHERES ESPECIALLY WOMEN AND YOUNGSTERS, FROM COMING IN CONTACT WITH PEDEPHILES ADN MURDERS AND SEX FREAKS WHO ARE DANGEROUS, AND PERVERTED , THESE ISSUES ARE SERIOUS, THE PROBLEMS IN SCHOOLS, SEX CRIMES WITH CHILDREN BY ADULTS, ALONG WITH RACISM, SEXUAL HARRASMENT ISSUES, EVERYWHERE BY HETERSEXUAL MEN, MAINLY ITS A PROBLEM, FIX IT

23. I MA TIRED OF HEARING THESE IDIOT CANDIDATES WITH NO HEART AN NO GOOD REAL INTENTIONS, GET UP BEHING A PODEUM AND WHEN ASKED WHAT DO THEY INTEND TO DO IF ELECTED, ALL MANY OF THEM SAY IS WELL I WANT TO FIX SOME ROADS AND HIGHWAYS , AR BUILD ANOTHER TRAIN, THATS ABOUT THE SIZE OF IT, THE REPUBLICANS MANY INSANE BIGOTS GETS UP AND TELL YOU HOW MUCH OF ;A BIGOT THEY ARE AND THEIR INTENTIONS IS TO HARM EVERY ONES, RIGHTS AND COMMIT ACTS OF RACIMS AND PREJUDICE AGAINST MOST OF THE NATION, AN TRY A;ND UNDO WHAT GOOD THE DEMOCRATES HAS DONE BECAUSE THEY ARE MAD THAT THE DEMOCRATS HAVE STOOD FOR SOME POSITIVE ISSUES, AN TRY TO STOP RACISM AND THEY WANT RACISM IN FULL BLOOM BECAUSE HTEY SIMPLEY DONT CARE ABOUT OTHERS, AND THE CHIDLREN EITHER THAT HAS COMMITED SUICEDS, THE REPUBLICANS SEVERAL OF THEM INCLUDING NEWT GINGRICH, SAID TO SHELIEA JACKSON, I DONT GIVE A DAMN ABOUT THE POOR PEOPLE, AND ECONOMY, THESE WERE CANDIDATES RUNNING FOR THE REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT, TELLING THE NATIONS , THIS MESS

1. Spanner1960 8 Apr 2012, 2:34pm

Give it a fcking rest Carrie. You don’t even live in the UK, let alone London.
      We are tired of hearing your rabid rants as well. Put a fcking sock in it.

1. Even if she were a member of the electorate who will consider whether Boris,Ken, Brian, Jenny, Siobhan or someone else is Mayor – then her phraseology hardly leads itself to a succinct question …

2. @ Carrie

Please don’t persist with these mega-long rambling sentences, SHOUTING CAPITALS and general absence of paragraphs, punctuation and proof-reading.

It just makes readers more likely to downvote you and skip to the next post !

Do you really think that PN could pose all your verbiage as a serious question to the candidates?

24. All – The rift between the LGBT and Muslim communities in London has been very high-profile over the last few years, with homophobic crime on the increase, partly fuelled by growing islamophobia amongst non-Muslims. What would you do to reduce these two problems and heal the rift?

All – the public perception of, and trust in, the metropolitan police is at an all-time low, with the organisation increasingly seen as authoritarian, prejudiced, corrupt and anti-democratic, a perception borne out by the innumerable scandals the MET has been at the centre of over the last decade, such as endemic racism, the use of kettling at demonstrations, and the execution of Jean Charles de Menezes. A police force which lacks the trust of the citizens it is supposed to serve loses effectiveness, making crime harder to prevent. This is a serious concern for minority groups that are at higher risk of crime, such as LGBTs, blacks, Muslims and the disabled. What would you do to reverse this?

25. All – elderly LGBTs are one of the most economically vulnerable groups in our society. Few have families, often because until relatively recently the state severely restricted LGBTs’ ability to have children through adoption or similar means, and also because until relatively recently it was very common for LGBTs to be disowned by their parents and siblings upon coming out – a problem that is still endemic in some ethnic minority groups. As a result, elderly LGBTs are far more likely to be entirely reliant on their own financial resources, which for many have been severely curtailed by the recession, and frequently they have only limited access to social resources as high levels of homo- and transphobia amongst their peers often force them to unwillingly “re-closet” themselves. If elected, what will you do to combat the economic and social deprivation they face?

1. Spanner1960 8 Apr 2012, 4:53pm

A very good and rarely discussed point.
      London can be a cold and lonely place on your own.

26. Question to Boris –
    Which is better portrayal of your real views about the gay communities; your comment “Gay marriage can only ever be a ludicrous parody of the real thing” or you upsetting your PR team by wearing a pink hat surrounded by buff semi naked hunks at Pride?

Ken – Do you accept that you have angered and alienated a significant number of LGBT people by your refusal to raise the issue of gay rights with an extremist Islamist cleric you entertained, and the image this causes of making you seem to pick and choose which minorities matter depending on the publicity opportunity – playing them off against one another?

Brian – How would you ensure hate crime against LGBT people is tackled rigorously and with priority? PN readers will be aware of cyber trolls on here, would you endorse them being investigated?

Jenny – What ONE policy should make people vote for you, and what ONE policy specifically appeal to LGBT people?

Siobhan – Not once on your website do you mention …

1. … LGBT people or you views about them or how you will help them, why? How would you help LGBT people – how would you prioritise hate crime against LGBT people? What is your personal view on equal marriage?

27. All – Many legal protections have been established in the last 20 years that benefit LGBT people. There are still more that could be made (eg marriage and others). There are also areas such as bullying in school, hate crime, cyberbullying etc where more action could help. Some of these changes also require cultural change and shift. How would you encourage London to shift its cultural perceptions?

28. Robert in S. Kensington 8 Apr 2012, 1:08pm

My last comment was aimed at that troll “Ken” who must have been booted by PN in case anyone is wondering.

29. To All,

How do you hope to address homophobic bullying in schools?

What will you implement to try to prevent bullying and help those being bullied?

1. John Robertson 26 Apr 2012, 4:33pm

About pupils this is a good point.
      About staff – any large employer has the power to take a lead against un-accountable unions that don’t publish local accounts, allow online voting, and use no-win no-fee lawyers on commission who can’t cover bullying cases or employment law. If any candidate will say “I’ll make ASLEF / NUT / Unite / Unison accountable to members in any recognition agreements I control” then I’d like to hear it. Otherwise union members will carry-on getting bullied out of jobs and then let-down by their unions.

30. Spanner1960 8 Apr 2012, 2:35pm

Can’t wait to see you show up so we can all jeer back at you for once.

31. To All,

Given the strong influence of football on the psyche of a large portion of the general population and the fact that homophobia is rampant within it, with neither gay nor bi football players feeling safe to be open about who they are, how do you propose to kickstart an intense (non-flimsy) national campaign against homophobia in football?

More specifically, how do you propose to get the big names in football, London teams in particular, to get involved and add their crucial input to this? I’m talking ads that would run during premiership games with these big names showing their support for giving homophobia the boot, and these ads would run for an entire year, to show that this is no flimsy lip-service to the lgbt community.

Furthermore, the big stumbling block to this has mainly been a reluctance for these big names to throw their name into the hat. How would you use your role or clout as London Mayor to convince them otherwise?

32. Ken – Do you support your Labour colleague Ben Bradshaw’s comment that marriage equality is unnecessary?

33. Or as like in the film Brusters Millions, the option to vote “none of the above”, could be used?

34. Guy Benson 12 Apr 2012, 7:51pm

To Boris & Ken & Any other candidate- Will either of you commit to detwin the GLA and Tehran, the capital city of a country whose penalty for being gay is death. Also what will you do about the fact that the London Boroughs of Barnet, Camden, The City of London, Greenwich, Hackney, Haringey, Hounslow, Islington, Lambeth and Tower Hamlets are all also twinned with citys in countries which have criminalised homosexuality.

35. Carrie Oliver 14 Apr 2012, 2:47pm

All: What are your thoughts on the ‘1 hour bus ticket’ campain? Do you/would you support it.

36. John Robertson t/a veganline.com 26 Apr 2012, 3:45pm

To All candidates:
    About unemployment
    About regional development money.
    This isn’t a gay-specific question.

Are you troubled by this, which is paid-for by an acolyte of British Fashion Council?

They pinched the logo from one of my suppliers which has since closed: you can see the names and faces of the people who lost their jobs here:

I know that there is a 56 page document in very small type called “The Value of Fashon” which tries to justify subsidy for London Fashion Week. I’m happy to criticise it in detail with any candidate who has the time, but the fact that it’s typed too small to read says all you need to know for now I think.