School district will let student wear anti-homophobia t-shirt on Day of Silence

1. A small but significant victory! The so called fish, make the outline red and spin it clockwise and it is the World Aids Day ribbon!

Who knew a fish was supposedly an important symbol to christians?

1. yeah the ichthys (the fish thingy) was used by em in the early days a secret symbol back when being a christian could be hazardous for your health heh

2. @D McCabe

Have you never seen the symbol of the fish on the back of cars with some corny Scriptural message?

A good movement forward. It would be interesting to see what the school themselves are saying in response to the legal case.

3. The fish is how Christians used to let other Christians know that they were pre the Roman empire converting from paganism. They would draw half and they other person would finish it.
      My mum would be very happy that all the Sunday I spent in church as a child hadn’t totally gone to waste.

1. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 5 Apr 2012, 9:06pm

Yes, but isn’t it strange that these early christians didn’t identify themselves with the crucifix? Is it because there were NO early christians until 423 years after the fact. And most of what you think happened in a book, because a single person wrote about it, may not actually be the truth. You may have, in fact, wasted your Sundays after all. Bless ;-)

4. The fish was the original symbol well before the Cross…because Saul of Tarsus (the Fisherman), became St Paul the Fisher of Souls. I’m Jewish (as he was) and even I know that! LOL

1. Guglielmo Marinaro 5 Apr 2012, 6:54pm

Paul (Saul) wasn’t a fisherman; he was a tent-maker. It was Peter who was a fisherman. The fish became the secret symbol of Christianity because in Greek the initial letters of the phrase Jesus Christ, Son of God and Saviour (Iesous CHristos THeou ‘Uios Soter) – iota, chi, theta, upsilon, sigma – spell “ICHTHUS”, which is the Greek word for fish.

1. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 5 Apr 2012, 10:05pm

Saul of Tarsus was a fraud; Je$us told me so, or so I claim. (Or I may have read it in a book). The word is probably an encoding with other meaning; there is encoding in the bibble where words were used to supplant other words or meanings. Ergo; we have Je$us who takes on fishermen as a disciple; and produces fish as a miracle to reinforce that what is spoken is a code. Further, Paul of Tarsus (if he ever existed) never met Je$us; had a stroke when you got out of prison; and the disciples (if they actually existed) didn’t respond too well to what this ex-convict was saying about their long-dead Prince.

2. Wasn’t Peter the fisherman (thus the symbol of the fish, as he was to be the first ‘Pope’~ the fisher of men)? I thought Saul (Paul) was some Roman bigwig. Oh well, 15 years of theology in Catholic School gone to waste! :D

5. Well dress me up and call me Daisy! You live nad learn thanks folks!

It is ironic then that in the times of the Romans, Christians were persecuted which is exactly what they are now doing to the LGBT community. We can’t change who (and I would not want to) are are yet they can change their ‘beliefs’

2. Michael Inkpin-Leissner 5 Apr 2012, 8:29pm

Most importantly, I am happy and very proud of that young man. I would love to wear this t shirt in England. Let me know where I can order it.
    Secondly I am tired of the gay radical atheists who take the p..s of all gays who happen to be christians. You are as bad as catholic ground staff, as the American Christian belt or Muslim Taliban. If you do not share the views of gay christians thats fine. But if you are honest with expecting respect, than you you have to give respect too. And you are not doing it at all! So a lot of gay atheists, are as bigott as the most radical christian taliban!

1. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 5 Apr 2012, 9:23pm

Gay radical atheists of the world unite! MI-L is pretentiously dull and deserves credit for being the weakest response I’ve ever read to this story. To accuse us of taking the piss out of gay christians is to be completely blind to the fact that some of we – the some, the few – just openly mock you and rip every word your clam-faced god creates through your bony appendages for the proverbial fun of it. I would laugh in your face if I knew what you meant by wantonly using the “catholic ground staff” defense. I consider myself to be completely beaten into submission by your humbling self-belief and await your liturgical proddings and discourse concerning stupidity; incorrect use and spelling of the word ‘bigott’ and my obvious failings of thinking that people of your elite calibre can exude such integrity and dignity so as to do credit to your maker. Humble; humbliness ;-)

1. Michael Inkpin-Leissner 6 Apr 2012, 8:53am

My point proven!

3. Don Harrisoin 6 Apr 2012, 3:28pm

I like the message, I might get one myself

4. Staircase2 7 Apr 2012, 9:56pm

Hoorah! :o)
    Keep up the good fight! :o)