JavaScript inventor gave $1,000 to support California’s gay marriage ban

1. I think that I will be deleting my Firefox web browser when I get home, a small gesture I’m sure but a gesture all the same!

1. Already deleted.

2. And a futile one.

The abomination known as Javascript, was first implemented by Netscape, which subsequently evolved into Firefox. It is now used by ALL modern browsers. In the case of Internet Explorer, Jscript is the Microsoft equivalent of Javascript and presumably has enough differences to satisfy intellectual property lawyers that it is not Javascript. (However as a programmer I was surprised to discover that Jscript programs run without modification on Javascript browsers, and vice versa.)

Unfortunately, without Javascript much of the WWW is unusable.

A better way to hit back at Mozilla would be to keep using Firefox, but un-tick the checkboxes “Block reported attack sites” and “Block reported web forgeries”. When these are ticked, Firefox phones home each time you access a new website, so you will deny them free data. Also, change the homepage to a non firefox one, in order to deny Firefox of free data and fetches of third party banner adverts.

2. I hope firefox asks for why I’m uninstalling it. Then I can quite plainly tell them it’s due to Mr Eich.

1. Chrome asks (in a very patronising way) why you are uninstalling, but Firefox does not.

3. Ed Johnson 4 Apr 2012, 1:22pm

Uninstalled firefox.

1. Don’t be so hard on yourself, Keith. You’re not a pillock. You’re… Oh well, actually, yep pillock about does it.

4. What does the money go towards – LGTB hate banners?

To me it’s disgusting that they have funds for such things.

5. A bit silly to punish a company for the actions of one employee, which they have no control over. What are they supposed to do, sack him? So any company can sack any employee whose private views or actions, albeit not illegal, they disagree with? How absurd. I am sure every company in the world employes some bigots, if you stop using them all where will that leave you?

1. ‘A bit silly to punish a company for the actions of one employee, which they have no control over.’

they can sack him if his actions brought company into disrepute or resulted in financial loss in terms of lgbt customers moving to another provider

1. Are you really suggesting companies sack people for thinking the wrong thoughts?
        We are in very serious danger of being on the wrong side of the argument here.
        People are entitled to hold views how ever ill judged, or wrong. They are entitled to campaign for their beliefs. We will not win any argument if all we do is demand that people who oppose us be sacked.

2. 2 champers sips to being a diva 4 Apr 2012, 4:15pm

@Joe Some.
      It’s very simple. Person exercise choices, person accepts consequences. Your analysis is focused on the wrong side of the argument, no matter how well meaning it is. Eich didn’t need to put forward $1k. He did.

Mozilla? Deleted

3. Paddyswurds 4 Apr 2012, 5:45pm

Plus the fact that Mozilla Firefox is open source and as such is the work of a myriad of people and really belongs to no one as such. I won’t be deleting the excellent Firefox browser as i don’t think the Mozilla Foundation has as someone else said any control over the private lives of it’s employers or contributors and developers which as i said already are myriad. Nor should they in a free society.
      Would you refuse your post from a clearly homophobic postman for instance…???

6. Or he could have given the grand to help save starving kids, or for malaria vaccines in the developing world, or to give some homeless veterans a safe and comfortable night’s sleep. What a tool.

1. I absolutely agree

7. @AmateurJanitor 4 Apr 2012, 1:42pm

I’ve always been a Google Chrome man anyway!!

8. Aw man i’m using Firefox right now, Google Chrome here I come.

9. Locus Solus 4 Apr 2012, 1:48pm

The new IE actually looked quite nice!

1. Locus Solus 4 Apr 2012, 2:00pm

LOL I love how i got -1’d! For saying IE looks nice? Jesus! :p Firefox was becomming a flabby piece of crap anyway, this just made it easier! ^_^

2. Paddyswurds 4 Apr 2012, 5:47pm

Looks nice but is still woefully insecure, as is a lot of Microsoft software but what are you gonna do with a monopoly.

10. As previously posted, if we boycotted all companies that had bigots on the payroll, we’d be very limited in what we bought and where we shopped. It’s good that these folk are “outed” and maybe post their info on a “Hall of Shame” website. Could send them a certificate (suitable for framing) for their successful completion of “Certification of Bigotry” and explain that their donation to bigoted causes has helped to harm their coworkers, neighbors, family, and even complete strangers, and that, thankfully, folk that don’t share the bigot gene have gone above and beyond to help repair the damage they’ve caused. Hopefully, they will see the light someday and embrace equality and fairness for all and just let the ignorance and hate go.

11. Just put an ‘R’ before the Eich!

1. I agree, he is also a weinerschniitzel.

2. You’re the third person to have said that!

3. Spanner1960 5 Apr 2012, 9:19am

Managed to slip a Goodwin in there then?

1. Paddyswurds 5 Apr 2012, 5:01pm

Don’t you mean Godwin…?

12. Probably another religious closet case bullied by his father, turned insane by guilt. Santorum sets alarm bells ringing, too. It’s the fundamentalists you’ve got to watch out for.

1. I think it more likely he is a mormon and was asked to give the money by his church.

13. Delete Firefox? Come on. First of all, three other employees donated against Prop 8, and secondly, do you change to trains because the guy who planned the brush-up of a bit of tarmac on the M4 is a member of a anti-equal marriage group? I think not.

Much rather let Mozilla know in a mail that their employee’s actions reflect badly on them, although it is no fault of theirs.

1. What better way to let them know than change to another, just as good, web browser? it’s not like it’s costing you anything, but it matters to them.

1. Paddyswurds 4 Apr 2012, 10:02pm

When you find one that is better than Firefox let us all know, but we won’t be holding our collective breath. It hasn’t been invented yet!

14. press@mozilla.com

Might be worth letting them know why we’re deleting it :-)

1. Ooh pinknews looks lovely on Chrome!

1. Paddyswurds 4 Apr 2012, 5:51pm

Chrome is shyte compared to Firefox…. How is deleting a browser because an employee of the Mozilla Foundation is a bollox. Three other employees donated to the Equal Marriage cause and so shouldn’t be victimised….

15. Mozilla’s CEO is Gary Kovacs (@mozillagary) on Twitter should anyone use the bloody thing

1. theGentleWarrior 5 Apr 2012, 9:43am

“the bloody thing” I like that. and I like the idea

16. Nurse Gloomyweather 4 Apr 2012, 3:18pm

Is that all? 630 quid? And he has all that money? I think proponents of equal marriage can rest easy in their beds tonight, if this is typical of their opposition’s level of support. That’s a nice photo of him, by the way. And the way they’ve Photoshopped out the Shrek logo is marvellous.

17. chris lowcase 4 Apr 2012, 4:03pm

is this just going to come down to who can throw the most money at a cause? was there a statement to go a long with this? or is it just bidding for equality?

i sure as hell cant boycott java script. none of us can. well if you do, its been nice reading your comments. so to boycott mozila would be impractical also, as mozilla is more than one man. i suppose we could use an older version? i think i would need to read mozillas official stand point before uninstalling their products.

1. chris lowcase 4 Apr 2012, 4:05pm

for should be against in that first paragraph.

2. is this just going to come down to who can throw the most money at a cause?

LOL this is how politics works chris. Are you just now finding out?

Agree with you regarding Mozilla. I’m not going to give up on one of the fastest and most secure web browsers because Mr Potato Head is a homophobe.

1. chris lowcase 5 Apr 2012, 1:01am

well thats a refreshing change from being called paranoid ;-)

18. alvaro brandariz 4 Apr 2012, 4:17pm

con esa cara de lamechuminos no se podía esperar otra cosa de él.

Com a cara que ele têm de lameconas era visto que ele não podia agir de outro jeito.

19. What a prick I love fire fox . Opera here I come.

20. Hodge Podge 4 Apr 2012, 7:35pm

Sticking with Firefox until it’s dragged from my cold dead fingers but this is sad to hear.

(Chromium>Chrome if you must leave, less Google spyware)

21. Hedge Hog 4 Apr 2012, 9:16pm

Erm – uninstalling Firefox? Come on, people. Eich is also the inventer of *Javascript* so uninstall EVERY browser you have … Internet explorer, Chrome, Safari, Mosaic, Navigator, Netscape, Konqueror, Opera, AOL Explorer, Seamonkey.

Right – all done? Hello? No-one reading my post??

(ps – LOL)

1. Posted a similar comment without noticing yours, but am happy to credit you with having said it first…

22. Firefox is slow and buggy anyway. Good riddens to it and him !

1. Paddyswurds 4 Apr 2012, 10:07pm

What are you gonna do about Java, which he actually invented. Let us know if you find a replacement….oh wait, that’s right you wont be able to, ’cause you wont be online without Java!

1. Sorry, no Java on my system.
        Also no Java in the most recent OpenOffice install (still there for support reasons), and LibreOffice did not even have it any more.
        So yes, you can do without.
        But, I will not guarantee that we are not going to run into some software for which we will need Java.

2. Firefox has had a major overhaul, and has lost the slow start in that.

As for Java; if you don’t absolutely need it, get rid of it..

3. Java and Javascript are completely separate things created by two completely different people

23. Robin Evans 4 Apr 2012, 10:09pm

I just uninstalled Firefox, I think Ill only re-install as soon as I hear the guys contract has been terminated…

24. Shame on him!
    Three people in against discrimination though, which is good.

Obviously there will be bigots working on other browsers too; you only now just don’t know they do….
    So, deleting FF for one bigot working on the project is just utterly ridiculous!

BTW. For test purposes, as well as customer support, I have at the moment already IE (well, you can’t get rid of that on Windooze), Forefox, Opera, Safari and Chrome on my system.

25. Excelent, well done Brendan.
    I see the militant homosexuals have deleted FireFox, its no great loss to you at all Brendan, keen your head high, you have loyal supporters Brendan.

Take no notice of the whining, they are just running scared.

They can boycott company after company, but they will soon find that they are left with nothing. Bit like the redefine of marriage really.

1. You know he’s not listening right?

1. Oh he’ll be reading

2. Hodge Podge 12 Apr 2012, 6:42pm

Man, as a queer mozilla fanboy you disappoint me.

26. Ignorant, misguided and foolish as he is, the man didn’t donate on behalf of Mozilla. He used his private money, which he is entitled to do. We all are.

Had he done so using Mozilla’s money – in the form of a corporate donation then taking action against Mozilla would be fully justified. As it is, they have no control over how he votes or who he donates to, and that’s good for everyone.

Expecting them to sack him gives bigots free rein to demand companies sack staff for making private donations to gay charities, events and organisations.

Take it for what it is – he’s a bigot who made a donation and complied with the law by listing his employer. If he displays that bigotry at work, or associates his private donation with a statement that suggests Mozilla as a company shares his belief then sure, a boycott is justified unless they sack him.

27. I would say what I think…but I fear banishment from Pink News so my lips will remain sealed!

28. Wyocowboy 5 Apr 2012, 3:22am

Deleted

29. GingerlyColors 5 Apr 2012, 6:42am

Dispicable. Does that man realise that it was Alan Turing who gave us the modern computer that he takes for granted? Boycott Firefox!

30. Spanner1960 5 Apr 2012, 9:20am

I am still going to run Firefox 3 as that was released before he donated. ;)

31. Deleting Firefox

32. Wow there are some really stupid people on this forum.

I presume he has to name his employer as a safeguard against corruption in politics. Pity we don’t have that here.

He didn’t donate to a charity wanting gays burned alive.

Let’s keep some perspective here.

1. As the CTO of the company, I feel his views reflect negatively on the executives at Mozilla. I have a choice who and what I want to support. If they choose to employ a cretin like Eich, I choose not to support Mozilla by helping increase their browser market share.

2. Sister Mary Clarence 5 Apr 2012, 11:19pm

“He lives in a democratic country and is free to do what he wants legally with his own money.”

As do we, and as are we mate

So, if people choice to boycott, delete, or speak ill of, it is entirely their right to do so.