US student sues school for banning him from wearing anti-homophobia t-shirt

1. I wonder if the school would have had the same reaction over a Jesus hates fags t-shirt

2. It’s obvious why the shirt was banned. Jesus may not have been a homophobe, but plenty of those who claim to be his followers are.

1. Jen Marcus 4 Apr 2012, 11:23am

AMEN!

3. So which idiot dreamt up the excuses “sexual” and “indecent” as reasons to prohibit the Tshirt?

A homophobe – you betcha!

Sue em, and win!

1. Dr Robin Guthrie 4 Apr 2012, 1:50am

Probably some gun totting nut that would think nothing of voting against ObamaCare, as why should his hard earned dollars pay for othe healthcare of people less fortunate than him/her.

I noted that a part of Texas was screwed by major hurricanes last night.

It will be interesting to read the “God did it because of the Gays” that will inevitably come, given the anti-gayness of that state.

Perhaps the retort would be, “God did it, because of your lack of humanity.”

2. There’s the basic problem with some homophobes, when it boils down to it, you tell them you’re gay and mentally they’re flicking and obsessing their way through the entire gay Karma Sutra.
      Strange how when people tell me they’re in a hetro relationship my first thoughts are not “how many times a week do they do it to how many people and in what positions”.
      And yet I’m far more exposed to hetrosexual sex in pop videos, movies, sex ed classes, billboards, TV ads etc.
      I think the gulf between our actual sex lives and what these bigots think we get up to is something like the grand canyon.

1. They expose themselves to gay sex everynight when they log on to xtube… You know for research purposes

3. Spanner1960 4 Apr 2012, 9:15am

Because all these people see is the word “sex” in “homosexual.
      And of course, we all know sex is indecent between unmarried couples.
      Now where did I put that turkey baster?

4. Because the first place that their minds always go when they see the word “homosexual” is the sex act, because clearly that is all we do and all that we are. Frankly, I wonder if there is a tiny bit of projection there. When I hear the words “straight” or “heterosexual” I don’t start to picture 9 1/2 weeks….

4. GingerlyColors 4 Apr 2012, 6:56am

If the school has a uniform policy (which I doubt if many – or any US schools have) then fair enough. Since they do not have such a policy then they should expect students to wear T-shirts with slogans that people may not agree with. Surely a ‘God Hates Fags’ T-shirt will be considered more blasphemous than one that says that Jesus isn’t a homophobe.

5. John-Paul 4 Apr 2012, 8:33am

I want one! ……… To wear in church!

6. And yet high school cheerleaders can walk around in their cheerleader uniform with skirts up to their arses and that is not sexual?

Their system truly is f***ed up!

1. Good point

7. “primary purpose of school is learning”

I think that was the primary purpose of the t shirt as well.

8. George Broadhead 4 Apr 2012, 10:17am

“Jesus is not a homophobe.”

What evidence is there for this apart from the fact that the Gospels record no mention by Jesus of homosexuality.

His strict views on other aspects of sexual morality make it very doubtful that he would have taken a more benign view that his contemporaries.

1. It’s grammatically incorrect too. When talking about people who died two millennia ago (if they even existed in the first place, which is uncertain) we use the PAST tense. We wouldn’t say “Montezuma II is not going to be a homophobe” after all, or “Gandhi will not have been a homophobe”.

Unless he’s talking about some other Jesus of course. It’s a common enough name among hispanic populations these days…

1. Unless they are STILL ALIVE. In Heaven. Watching our every move. Judging us.

1. Spare us your exhibitionist projections…

2. Yes, well nobody is, because that’s just silly mythological nonsense. If there was a Jesus two thousand years ago then he’s just as dead as everyone else back then. That’s how human mortality works I’m afraid.

2. There is evidence suggesting that jesus had sexual relations with men, or at least one man in the dead sea scrolls.

1. Would you be kind enough to post a cite for that – I want to share it with my Christian acquaintances.

3. Keith Farrell 4 Apr 2012, 11:58am

maybe you need to relook at the translation of the bible, it has been mistranslated many times to make out that something is justifiable, but homphobia is not justifiable

4. Frankly I think the entire “I think Jesus would have said…” argument is a bit of a distraction anyway.
      Speculating about the unrecorded opinions of a long dead apocalyptic preacher whether pro or anti gay marriage reminds me of this Mitchell and Webb Sketch:

5. A really helpful angle to come from on this matter, George

Pushing your own personal agenda, I see – rather than concentrating on the right of the young man involved to have freedom of speech and express himself.

1. George Broadhead 5 Apr 2012, 5:49pm

Just read your posting Stu.

I am not denying the young man’s right to have freedom of speech and express himself, just questioning the accuracy of his slogan.

I assume you don’t object to me having the same right.

9. Is there some way I can get a ‘Jesus was a Gay Black Hippie Jew’ t-shirt sent to this kid?

1. … but what his t shirt says is true. Jesus said nothing about homosexuality, and its nots mentioned in the new testament, thats a fact.

10. de Villiers 4 Apr 2012, 3:47pm

It is unfortunate that the school disciplined the student for this, however, it seems unattractive for schools to be unable to prevent clothing making political statements or to enforce a uniform. The sight of a student suing their school because of their rights appears to be completely American (and a bit English).

1. Maybe it was a non-uniform day?

11. It will be interesting to see how the school defends their assertion that the shirt is sexual and indecent. There is no mention of sex, nor any sexual imagery. Unless Mr Gebhardt is into bestiality with fish?

Looks like another bunch of morons are about to be dragged into the 21st century at last. Let’s hope Maverick has examples of students being permitted to wear pro-Christian messages on shirts/badges to show the court, highlighting the hypocrisy of a school which doesn’t prohibit those ‘distractions’.

Well done Maverick – living up to your name!

12. Just because your at school doesnt take away your right to express yourself!!! This is absolutely ridiculous!

13. There is nothing “indecent” and “sexual” about this T-Shirt. Gebhardt and Dubbs are without much doubt Republicans who believe that freedom of speech only applies to their belief system.
    Sue them and win!

14. Jesus was not a homophobe.

Nowhere in the badly written work of fiction – the BuyBull – does the fictional character of Jesus ever mention homosexuality.

1. George Broadhead 5 Apr 2012, 5:39pm

But this is hardly proof that he wasn’t, is it? See my posting further up.

15. Absolutely discrimination. This is the reason why I love PozKiss . c0m as a Safe Gay Club for HIV Gay and Gay men with herpes to find Gay relationships and Poz Match.

16. Hmm, well, I guess if you look really closesly, and tilt your head and squint your eyes, the fish could be very vaguely phallic. Kind of. Sort of. Vaguely.

…nope not getting any sexytimes or indecency off of this.