Australia: Poor mental health among LGBT people

1. Robin Evans 2 Apr 2012, 11:15pm

The best economy in the world huh???

2. Christopher Hobe Morrison 2 Apr 2012, 11:43pm

Of course we know that this is caused by persecution, but the people on the right will say this is because being gay is a mental disease.

3. Colonel "hot lips" Smythe-Fortesque 3 Apr 2012, 12:14am

I expect it compares favourably to the rate amongst aborigines.

4. I think the current debate on Marriage Equality has caused a lot of anxiety, but everyone is prepared for the long fight on that!
    Ths stats are extraordinary, even in this day and age. I and my partner have no problems living openly as gay in Australian society.
    Sometimes though, individuals are their own worst enemies! One either controls one’s own life or you let other people do it for you!
    There is NO need in Australia to be in the closet, to not be open at work, to not be able to live with a partner, to tell one’s family, friends and yes, even inform your GP. My GP who is straight, married has both gay and trans friends.
    A lot of people from certain cultural traditions don’t come out because of religion,money and inheritence! Get over it and get on with it!

1. Obviously, you live in a city.Try living in a country town or in a remote location.

1. Richard Olsen 3 Apr 2012, 3:12am

I agree with you Paul. I live in Mount Druitt and I live in terror of the neighbours. Sure, I could sell my place and just rent in the city, but I shouldn’t have to.
        I hate people who sit around all smug and say “I never have a problem”. Well bully for you lot. Depression and anxiety are not just about feeling unsafe around your straight neighbours. It can also be caused by the shallow pricks out on the scene that make you feel as if you’re not attractive enough to be breathing the same air as them.
        Of course you Brenton are the shining example of those same very shallow people who look down their noses at the “rest of us” that I’m talking about. Get off your high horse for a moment and realise that not all of us are doing as well as you are. Also instead of criticising those of us with depression and anxiety (only to make it worse), why don’t you just shut your mouth and keep your catty snide comments to yourself

1. Richard, I think you are the one who is rude and abusive. I don’t look down on anyone, everyone has their own path to travel. I have never been on the ‘scene’ in my life, so I will make no comment about that! But I have had no problems in my workplace or with other day to day living. It is strange that you say to me “shut your mouth’ because isn’t that the same sort of abuse that so many Gay people are levelling against others in the Australian community. I don’t live in a bubble and I am just stating my own personal experience.You certainly have a lot of anger. I will continue to air my views and thoughts on Pink News. You are not my censor, Richard!

1. Richard Olsen 3 Apr 2012, 5:38am

Brenton, I think you’re the actual rude one here. What you are effectively saying is, “I don’t have a problem, so why should anyone else”. Do you even know how conceited that sounds.
            Just for your information, I’m one of those statistics that have severe depression and anxiety.
            I’m not about to have some self-righteous queen like yourself get on your high horse and tell people that they should just “come out and deal with it”.
            As for your comment to paul, no where you live is not always a “choice”. Many people don’t have the “luck” in life that you have obviously been dealt. Some of us have to live outside the “ghetto”.
            As for not censoring you, of course I’m not censoring you. I’m simply telling you a few home truths about the attitude of people like you.
            You can say what you like, and I’ll continue to say what I like. I’m not going to be guilt tripped into changing my opinions by some conceited drama queen like you.

2. That’s ok Richard, while your wallowing and stewing in your depression and anxiety, I will go to work in a minute and contribute taxpayer dollars for your health services! Enjoy!

1. Sam Birmingham uk 3 Apr 2012, 8:29am

Myself and my partner are open about it here in the uk and I’ve found that we haven’t had any problems and everyone is “cool” with it. I thought you guys in oz was all ok with homosexuality these days as you have the maradi gras and that.

3. Paddyswurds 3 Apr 2012, 11:46am

@Richard Olsen……
          …..the whole tone of your comment and response to Brenton gives the impression of one who enjoys victim hood. If you behave the same way around the people in your life, frankly it is no wonder that everyone is horrid to you if in fact they are. No one likes a perpetual whinge and sour puss. If you think people are looking down their noses at you, have you ever asked yourself why or even ask them why?.
          I have a suspicion you already have and methinks you don’t like the answer and are attempting to push the blame onto others. In the end only you can really control your life so get up off you butt and do just that and don’t continue creeping about hiding who you really are. Hold your head up and get on with your life and stop living life as you think others want you to

2. Where you live is a ‘choice’, paul oz!

1. Yes, and for some people it’s a choice between being employed and unemployed, isn’t it?

2. Brenton is a typical right queen. The architects of this hate filed community. Im white I’m alright

1. Paddyswurds 3 Apr 2012, 11:52am

@James!…
        …A typical heap of bullshyte from you Jimmy. The usual hate filled bitter comment from someone who think the whole world owes him something just because he happens to be Gay. You wouldn’t be trans by any chance. The world owes you nothing more than anyone else straight, gay or trans so grow up and get on with your life.

1. Suck my balls bitch

2. I forgot to add you filthy bigot

5. radical53 3 Apr 2012, 6:17am

And they wonder why the gay community has a big DRUG & ALCOHOL problem.

Here is your answer. Remote Australia has been suffering for years. Just like regional areas Britain, if you look hard enough, you will find the same problem.

It is not just Australian LGBT community that has this problem. You will probably find it entrenched world wide. Look around you.

6. I do not live in Australia but I can understand the struggle of Australian LGBT. This is because I am gay and depressed too. People seemed to think depressed people are mentally ill folks awaiting to be serial killers. Being gay is not easy coz discrimination against LGBT always exist. But imagine yourself as mentally ill too, the discrimination from the society just got doubled.

7. I am an Australian who decided to leave that country because
    Of the repressive attitudes that have been present for many years. Despite promises from both sides of the political areana nothing has been done to address the inequality experienced by our people . I notice one comment referring tithe aboriginal people … Whilst there are significant issues to address in this matter, successive governments have spent billions of dollars at least trying to find a solution … How much was spent Imin the gay community ???

I am very fortunate to have an EU passport, and even more fortunate to now live in a country where sexuality is a non-issue … Openly gay members of local and federal government holding senior positions.

8. Peter Scott 3 Apr 2012, 8:15am

I am not surprised. I live in Melbourne and I can testify that the depression rates here are huge even in the city. What is causing such high rates of depressions? The answer is simple: Conservatism which is rife in this country, racism, sexism, homophobia, and self righteous queens like Brenton who has given us the perfect example of how awful some Australians can be as people

9. You have to remember we have created a scene based on narcissism. Don’t get old ill or fat cause you’ll be tossed aside like trash.

1. You have it the wrong way around. People generally mature and settle down, and love their partner in sickness and in health.

2. Almost half of the respondents said they hid their sexuality or gender identity in a range of situations, fearing violence and discrimination.

I don’t think the findings of this study had to do with The Scene, whatever its faults may be. Also, people living in small towns or in country areas are unlikely to have a scene to be dissatisfied with.

10. So, if you are not unhappy and depressed and persecuted, you are not a proper gay person and you should be ashamed stay quiet?

11. Mervyn the Robot 3 Apr 2012, 10:14am

Maybe 70% of all Australians are depressed.

12. Why is Jeff Kennett unveiling the report? This man has been an open opponent of gay people and gay rights for decades! He was premier of Victoria and did NOTHING but insult gays and refuse to give us any basic rights. He also said that Beyond Blue shouldn’t bother with gay people. This is a disgrace. We have LONG memories.

13. @sanbirminghamuk your in brum with no problem? So im geussing you avoid all the asian and muslim areas? Broad street? Everywhere?

14. 2 champers sips to being a diva 3 Apr 2012, 2:58pm

Most Ozzies I know, gay and straight live in a hyper material urban environment. This is called a ghetto. Most of OZ outside the cities is a white boiled soup of ignorance. After two months in Sydney, the place kinda stops working for ya. Sun, yes. Good economy, maybe. But I’m shocked at the lack of social progressiveness discourse compared to Europe in general.
    In any hyper consumerist, hyper sexualised society (gay and straight), those who appear to be happy, are quite possibly on a conveyor belt of some sort and in denial. This is about us as individuals, and how we relate to others. If people say they are depressed, they are.

15. Sad to read some of the above comments. When a country has politicans and religious leaders, who are ready to use gay people when-ever it suits their idea of what the ignorant want to hear, of course the most vulnerable amongst us are going to feel it and express their personal sense of shame, which I still feel sometimes as an older out gay man. Our back-ups in our non biological family grouping are transient and often voided with premature death. Just last week a beautiful man, age 32, of Sri Lankan birth, suicided in a more enlightened coastal holiday town on the East Coast of Australia. Every gay person who knew him are all in deep grief.

16. After reading some of the posts here I see some people people living in lala land. Most of the saddest cases of antigay bullying and worse usually are in what is called the bible belt. Does Australia have one? I honestly don’t know but the U.S. and Canada have those. And usually it’s most alive and disgustingly well in remote places, small villages, farm lands and such. I should know because one of my friends would tell me in chats how he feared to be outed where he lived. He didn’t live in the big city. And he wasn’t alone having that fear. Just saying.