Catholic Cardinal: Church will relax its approach to civil marriages for gay couples (April Fools)

1. You’re kidding. I can’t really believe this. Is it satire? Delighted if it’s true but really…shocked!

1. Paddyswurds 1 Apr 2012, 12:56am

It’s April 1st guys….!!

2. I forgot it was April 1st as well for a bit. Glad I remembered before I sent a link to anyone on this.

2. Stephen Glenn 1 Apr 2012, 12:31am

You post at 12 am and the Cardinal finishes speaking just before none.

I’m no fool. Nice one though.

3. Dan Howell 1 Apr 2012, 12:31am

Oh, that’s just _cruel_. Nicely done.

4. I’m pleased this wasn’t posted after midday tomorrow. Nice one guys!!

5. Christopher Hobe Morrison 1 Apr 2012, 12:43am

April Fool! Too bad we can’t get one for the cardinal, with a stake and wood and fire!

6. “He also expresses his lack of understanding, having never had what “people would call an adult relationship.”

Because he only has relationships with children!

1. This is an unwarranted and sick comment, and one for which you could be sued for slander. You need to grow up.

1. Ben Foster 1 Apr 2012, 9:52am

we should sue him for slander for what he did to every law-abiding, tax-paying decent citizen who happens to be gay.

Frankly I don’t think EVERY bishop has hidden child abuse ion his diocese has but so many have that the rest should either disown them or share the guilt.

1. keith farrell 1 Apr 2012, 10:24am

speaking as someone who has been through this sort of abuse, I cannot say that this man has done abuse but the chances are stongly there that if he has not done it he has covered it up. the church is very quick to say things about gay people but people like David, will always defend the church, maybe what is said by jamesh hits too close to home. Unless you have been through being molested you cannot possibly know how we feel. yes I tried to forget and forgive, hoped to get on with my life, which I did. At least that was until I returned to the UK and was insulted by the cardinal refering to me and people like me as “Grotesque” then I became angry, and all the hurt that I had gone through 39 years ago came back to me. How am I suposed to feel, what am I suposed to feel. Hate is a very bad emotion, a total wasted energy, I would love to be able to end the life of thes men, they dont teach what Christ came to teach us, they teach hate, hurt and injustice, hiding the child molesters

1. Keith, From your post, I take it you were abused. I cannot even pretend to imagine the violation or betrayal of trust you must have experienced – and probably still experience.

Let me make it clear that I am a resigned Catholic priest, and a gay person who disagrees with the Church’s teaching on gay marriage; it is one of the reasons I resigned. I also abhor the fact that a minority of priests have abused young people and that a minority of bishops have covered things up. I have absolutely no sympathy for them and believe the law – both civil and canon – should take its course.

However, in the debate about same sex marriage, slanderous and unfounded comments – such as those made by jamesh – do not help in any way; they hurt our cause. We need to demonstrate that no matter how irrational and vitriolic our opponents may be, we will remain clear headed, fair and respectful.

Please, in the midst of your pain, try to remember that it is a minority who are guilty. Bless you.

2. David, a minority have been CAUGHT. How many are REALLY involved, not just in the abuse, but turning a blind eye, covering up, LYING about it?

This Cardinal is a hypocrite, insulting gay people while failing to clean his own house.

2. David

Perhaps you ought to find a dictionary and look up the words humour and satire? Or are you too indoctrinated to be permitted to laugh and smile at the idiotic comments by the Cardinal (both his real ones and the ones in this deftly crafted parody!).

Perhaps you should also explore what slander really means … it certainly is not the like of the humour of “Have I Got News for You”, “Spitting Image” or Private Eye. Maybe you have even laughed at them yourself in the past (or perhaps not as you sense of humour failure illustrates!). Strange that when the comments of the Cardinal are parodied some find this “slander”. In legal fact if there were a civil tort it would be libel not slander. (Libel – A published false statement that is damaging to a person’s reputation; a written defamation). However, the Cardinal has done more to damage his own reputation by his own actions in this matter. This article is a mere parody of his actions. Parody is a defense in law to libel.

1. Stu, You are quite correct that the proper term is ‘libel’ not ‘slander’. I have never been good on the distinction, and would normally check a dictionary; this time I failed. Thanks for your correction. As for the Cardinal damaging his own reputation by his intemperate comments; I completely agree. Concerning the article, both my partner and I had a good breakfast giggle. Cheers.

1. I must admit slander and libel were areas I used to confuse.
            I think many of us did giggle at the article!
            I think I also misttok you comments as being about the article itself, whereas perhaps you were referring to Jamesh’ comment. If so, apologies for jumping to conclusions.

2. jamesh – I think the moderators should remove your allegation. It’s really not a good idea, or fair, to make serious allegations about people without any evidence.

I strongly disgree with the Cardinal’s and the Catholic Church’s stance on homosexuality and gay marriage. But what you have written is a personal slur.

1. keith farrell 1 Apr 2012, 10:33am

maybe not, just mabe he has grounds to say what he does, frankly I like it. If the cardanel is offended, it is up to him to sue for slander. that might be fun to watch, but frankly I think that would open up a new set of claims by people like me. funny but according to the churches website there was no child molestation in South Africa by its priests, but it is wron because I was there, we never got any help from the church, infact I was made to carry on as an alter server by my family and priest because in those days no one beleaved anything wrong was happening. So yes let the cardanal sue for slander is he has nothing to hide

1. I would be interested in hearing if there is evidence to substantiate the specific claims the Cardinal has abused children. Nonetheless, there is clear evidence that the Cardinal acknowledges that both he and other senior clergy in the RC church have responded wrongly to allegations of abuse including cover up – a fact he publically declared in a sermon at Glasgow cathedral that was widely reported in the media.

7. Rayne Van-Dunem 1 Apr 2012, 2:29am

Ohhhhh you cheeky bastards. You had me at “Schwarzenegger as Gareth Thomas”, but this….OK yes, I totally fell for this. Damn, you’re good.

Now I’m scared about the Fine Gael story…

1. Ben Foster 1 Apr 2012, 9:54am

I think Fine Gael are for real. I’m not sure I’d call them centrist which was my only thought on the story..

1. Paddyswurds 1 Apr 2012, 12:15pm

@Ben Foster…
        …Fine Gael pronounced Finna, (the Blueshirts) are a right of right conservative Party that would put the Tories to shame. Where PN got the idea they are centrist is a mystery unless it was gleaned from the Fine Gael disingenuous website. They got their Blueshirt moniker from their support for the Fascists in Europe during the 30s and 40s. Frankly I will be very surprised if they bring in anything near Marriage Equality.

1. I am sure you were surprised by the strong stance against the RC church by Enda Kenny when he stood up to their ‘dysfunction, disconnection, elitism and narcissism that dominate the culture of the Vatican to this day”

I hope you will be surprised and they will introduce equal marriage in the republic. Certainly FG members voted at the party’s Árd Fheis to prioritise the consideration of allowing full same-sex marriage at the forthcoming constitutional convention. This was a debate that was supported by senior members of FG including Irish Justice minister Alan Shatter and TD for Dublin South-Central Catherine Byrne. While not binding as official party policy, the move essentially means that Fine Gael is in favour of reviewing the current legal situation where the constitution forbids any law allowing full marriage between a same sex couple.

Alan Shatter made an order recognising same sex marriages in New York in Ireland – which seems to be a step towards marriage in Ireland

1. Paddyswurds 1 Apr 2012, 1:15pm

@Stu…
            …Thanks for the thumbs down,btw, however what Fine Gael done at the Ard Fheis was a cynical exercise to deflect from the mess they are making of being in Government, and in particular the farce that is the €100 household charge, which over one and a half million people have refused to pay as of the March 31st deadline.

2. @Paddywurds

I didnt thumb you down – not guilty of that.

You can certainly interpret the Ard Fheis declaration in the manner you do. Equally, you could couple it with actions on accepting New York marriages of same sex couples in Ireland as being evidence of consistency on supporting same sex marriage in Ireland.

3. Paddyswurds 1 Apr 2012, 2:29pm

@Stu…
            …however I notice it hasn’t been reversed, which you could do as I often do on your down thumbed comments. . Re Fine Gael and Marriage Equality…. we will wait with bated breath..not. We will see…….

4. @Paddyswurds

I do thumb you up and down on occasions (either because I strongly agree/disagree with you or because I think others voting have been particularly unfair). I think I have both thumbed you up and down on a couple of comments on PN over the past day or two. I haven’t made any change to the voting on your comments here as I don’t feel particularly strongly about indicating my support of your comments.

Thanks for your support when you have given it. I am sure you (like me) will continue to thumb each other up and down when we either support each other or not.

2. The Fine Gael story is real.

Its reported elsewhere:

Also, the author of the PN article on Fine Gael is not an anagram for April Fool whilst the Cardinal and Schwarznegger stories are.

8. Scott of Sydney 1 Apr 2012, 2:56am

More true colours here

Its a transcript so you should be able to read it.

9. Not funny, am afraid

1. Ben Foster 1 Apr 2012, 10:04am

yes it is. Not as good as the Schwarzanegger story (and I’m still not sufficiently over last night to spell him right) but it’s funny. If you want to get serious and analyse it, the language supposedly used by the bishop is totally wrong for an anal retentive like him. But who really, really cares. The man and his outdated views ARE a joke.

10. yea, right..and the London Olympics are being postponed till next year… ;)

1. Hold on, just getting a news report on the BBC that the Olympics have been postponed untill next year . . . how odd!!!

11. David Wainwright 1 Apr 2012, 4:44am

A miracle and on April 1st all fools day :)

12. “I have to admit that what we say will not ultimately matter. What right do we have to intervene in a civil law”. Yeah, that;ll be the day.

13. It is not only April Fools’ Day, but the author is Fillop Rao — which is an anagram for April Fool :) :)

14. Assuming this is April Fools…this isnt funny.

15. That is cruel! I actually got my hopes up!

16. michael, liverpool 1 Apr 2012, 7:01am

hysterical, haha, I hope the Cardinal reads this! Lighten up folks…

17. GingerlyColors 1 Apr 2012, 7:51am

The Catholic Inquisition lasted for centuries and although the torture and killing stopped a long time ago, the Inquisition did not officially end until 1908 under Pope Pius X and it was not until 1993 that Pope John-Paul II formally pardoned Galileo for saying that the Earth orbited the Sun! The Catholic Church will change but as you can see change will be painfully slow!

18. Ben Foster 1 Apr 2012, 8:14am

Right, we have two April fool jokes. Of course!

That or the Gareth Thomas film story is true! Heaven forbibd.

19. Inclined to agree with the “not funny” contingent.

1. Ben Foster 1 Apr 2012, 10:09am

why????? It’s just a throwaway piece of nonsense, at the Bish’s expense.

This is the third time trying to post this. I keep getting the sums wrong. I’m going back to bed!

(I won’t be alone. Bishop, don’t peek in my windows, you’ll be shocked.)

1. Because some people take life too bloody seriously for their own good.

1. clearly!

20. Actually it was the sentence starting with -the unthinkable in the case of a senior roman catholic cleric – ‘having thought’ that rather gave the game away.

1. For me the anagram “Fillop Rao” gave it away . . .

21. Love the satire ….

He damn well should express his lack of understanding and recognise that he has no right to interfere with civil law, though!

I can see wedding planners and florists up and down the land running round in circles hoping that this story is genuine lol

22. Not funny, I’m afraid.

This is an emotive topic. I thought the Cardinal had had a change of heart until I got a fair way into the article.

So I ended up feeling disappointed rather than amused.

I was also going to repost the article in the blog where I have been defending gay marriage against homophobes for weeks. It would have completely undermined me if I had done so without reading to the end.

Not a good start to the day.

1. As a Catholic I’m very glad that this is an April Fool. Phew!

1. Do not feed the troll

2. keith farrell 1 Apr 2012, 10:39am

David as a Catholic you should be ashamed of your churches stance agains equal rights. maybe you think it is a joke that we want equal rights, well we will get them and you will get your chance to tell God why you want some of his children to be treated as sub-human

23. NOT funny!! :o(

24. Hahaha love it!!

25. April 1 today: so this is a joke!!

26. This really is not something to making a joke out of, PN I am surprised at this behaviour!

27. Poor call, Pink News. Not funny.

28. As Gazza says, disappointing rather than amusing. Pity it had to be that emotive subject. But well, done. I was taken in til I read the comments.

29. Whar is up with all the ‘not funny’ lot? What is in ‘poor taste’? This is mild comapred to what a half decent comedian could do to him. Imagne his spitting image puppet? He’s a mouthy archbishop who sxtuck himself into the public domain. He is just getting a bit of comeback, thats all.

Meanwhile, I’m off back to bed with Ben. :)

1. You’ve missed the point it’s poor taste because this is an issue that a lot of people care very deeply about when a subject is this emotive stories like ths rase people’s hopes and then dash them again

1. We ALL care deeply about the issue. But the Cardinal is a horses a*se and I don’t give a toss about making him look stupid.

It doesn’t raise or dash anyone’s hopes because the Cardinal and his pals have no more say on the matter than any other citizen of the UK. He is just a mouthy waste of space.

30. I agree that this isn’t something to joke about. I admit to being taken in by it too and it was only after reading the article and I went on to read the comments that I realised this was an April Fool. Far from satirising the cardinal and the church, it makes light of a very serious issue which has still not been decided (in Scotland). I’m really disappointed in Pink News.

31. This is clearly not making light of the issue of same sex marriage but making fun of the ridiculous statements of the Cardinal.

Lighten up guys, its funny and does not in the slightest undermine the campaign for equal marriage – which PN have scrupulously supported.

1. When you consider that the Scottish Goverment still have to make a decision whether to go ahead with legislation for marriage equality and the fact that the catholic church has more political influence in Scotland than in England & Wales, I feel that Pink News misjudged this one. By the eay, I also believed the Arnie to play Gareth Thomas story which I found really funny, so I’m not just in a huff about bring taken in or anything like that.

1. To be fair I think the RC senior clergy delude themselves over how much influence they have in England, Scotland, Wales and the island of Ireland.

1. I’m not taking the Catholic Church’s word for it that they have influence on politicans here in Scotland, I’m going on past experience over the years, and it has been true of most parties.

With regard to the marriage equality consultation, remember that the Scot Gov had 2 meetings with the Catholic Church to discuss it plus also met with Muslim leaders at Glasgow Mosque and I think the Church of Scotland too. So I can be forgiven for being a little worried about it particularly since the Scot Gov consultation is about IF they should legislate for marriage equality.

2. @Bennie

Thats fair play, but they should be able to man up and face parody if they wish to be in the public arena.

I don’t think the PN parody and piece of humour here is any more problematic than this piece in the FT:

1. @ Stu

No, I’m not saying it was unfair to the catholic church or anything like that, I couldn’t care less what Pink News says about them.

I’m saying it was, in my opinion, a bad call for Pink News to use the marriage equality issue as it’s still to be decided in Scotland and the catholic church in Scotland are one of the main opponents and still do carry a lot of political clout.

So by running this story, it gave readers (like me I’m not ashamed to admit!) false hope that the catholic church was backing down. If that happened then marriage equality in Scotland would be almost certain to happen.

As it is, nothing has changed, and we still have to wait for the Scot Gov to announce whether or not they are going to proceed with it. I think it’s very probable that they will, but there’s still a chance they won’t.

2. Would you feel that the FT were wrong in their piece that I detailed above?

3. @ Stu

I’ve read the FT piece and I don’t feel that you are comparing like for like. FT is making fun of the catholic church’s postion, of it’s arguments and showing them to be nonsense. It’s clearly satirical.

The PN piece said that the catholic church were coming around to marriage equality and said stuff which wasn’t true, which is very different. I realise it was an April Fool, but the nature of an April fool is to deliberately mislead unlke satire which tends to be clear in it’s intentions.

I feel that it gave false hope to readers, especially since the church is one of the main opponents to marriage equality and have so much influence in Scottish politics.

Maybe I deserved it for being so gullible, but for a few minutes it really made me feel as if there was no stopping us and now I’m still worried that the Scot Gov may decide not to proceed with it. When I realised it was just an April Fool, I felt really disappointed.

4. I disagree, the PN piece is clearly satirical.

5. Okay, I suppose we’ll just have to disagree on this one! Goood talking with you, Stu, you always debate matters thoughtfully without resorting to offensive rants like some do! Even if we don’t agree, it’s always good to discuss these matters and see both sides of the argument.

6. @BennieM

Thanks. I think we will have to agree to disagree.

I have always respected your contributions, and you have convinced me of different angles on occasion!

I think its usually a good sign if you can debate with someone, and agree with them sometimes and not others – and still respect each other.

7. @Stu

I agree with everything you’ve said in your last comment! I’m often shocked at how debate on these threads can descend into nasty, offensive rants just because people don’t agree with one another’s views.

2. Go lighten up in Chile, Stu.

1. If you pay my air fare, more than happy to visit Concepcion! ;-)

32. I know it’s April Fools Day, but I don’t find it funny – just an unnecessary cruelty against your readers – I’m surprised and disappointed.

33. Wim in Holland 1 Apr 2012, 11:06am

I think, Zimbabwe State Media do not “back” the Cardinal anymore.

34. gino meriano 1 Apr 2012, 11:18am

if its April fool, then Pink News are stupid

if its not, remember this – the decision to introduce Civil Marriage which are performed by the registration service is up to the Government and the church has NO say in this matter

So no matter what the church says or announces holds no merit in this decision

35. Terry Eastham 1 Apr 2012, 11:23am

Brilliant! Fell for it completely you sods. For those of you getting upset by this ‘article’, chill out will you and have a laugh

36. Umm… April Fool’s day?

37. hollyhock140 1 Apr 2012, 11:27am

For goodness sake, why on Earth would you expect a Catholic Cardinal to say anything helpful to gay people? It has to be a joke any day. For one reason why see my open letter to the Cardinal.

1. Your open letter?

1. hollyhock140 1 Apr 2012, 11:33am

Stu
        Click on my name.

1. Mike,

Great letter! Very dignified and honest!

2. keith farrell 1 Apr 2012, 12:13pm

I read you letter, very enlighting, I think the problem with the cardinal is that he has been drinking “stupid” pills since the day he because cardinal, at lest that is the only explanation I can offer to his change in attitude.
          We need never go back to how things were, In South Africa we only got our rights in 1994, prior to that it was illegal to be gay and we had two ages of consent, 16 years for girls and 19 for guys, stupid because if they wanted to enforce the laws two 16 years olds could have to go against each other in court, the girl would be charged for sex with a minor while her boyfriend whould have to take the stand against her. . At least we got equal rights in the end, returning to the UK, I have discovered that this country still has a long way to go before we have equal rights

38. Paddyswurds 1 Apr 2012, 12:26pm

With regards to the slander accusations by David above, can you answer me one question. All cardinals and bishops were once priests. Why have we not heard of any bishops or cardinals being accused of the worldwide abuse of children that has rightly been levelled at priests?

1. Dr Robin Guthrie 1 Apr 2012, 1:02pm

Cause the bishes have the power to cover it up………

2. @Paddyswurds

There have been publically known cases surrounding Bishops and more senior clergy being accused of abuse. Admittedly in many of these cases there has been either a cover up, quiet retirement or other actions from the church that fall well short of either transparency in tackling the issue or protecting the welfare and safety of children in the past or today.

Some of these cases include:
      Ngong Catholic Bishop Cornelius Schilder (in Kenya 2011) who was alleged to have committed acts of sexual abuse against children and was allowed to retire early by the Vatican due to health grounds.

Hans Hermann Wilhelm Groër was an Austrian Cardinal of the RC Church. He served as Archbishop of Vienna from 1986 to 1995, and was elevated to the cardinalate in 1988. Following allegations of child abuse, he resigned as Archbishop of Vienna on 14 September 1995, and after being asked by Pope John Paul II, Groër relinquished all church …

1. … duties and privileges as an archbishop and cardinal on 14 April 1998.

Georg Müller, is the former bishop of the Roman Catholic territorial prelature of Trondheim, Norway. On June 8, 2009, Müller resigned and left Trondheim. In April 2010 the real reason for the resignation was communicated: Müller has admitted sexual abuse of an altar boy at the beginning of the 90s.

In March 2002 the Archbishop of Poznań (Poland), Juliusz Paetz, stepped down following accusations, which he denied, of sexually molesting young priests.

Roger Joseph Vangheluwe is the former Bishop of Bruges.He gained notoriety after admitting to having sexually abused two nephews over the course of a 15-year period while serving first as a priest and then as bishop, though the admission came after the statute of limitations for the crimes had expired and meant the state …

2. .. was unable to prosecute.

Walter Johannes Mixa is a German Catholic priest, and Bishop Emeritus of Augsburg and Ordinary Emeritus of the Bundeswehr. He resigned as Bishop of Augsburg in 2010 due to allegations of fraud and violence towards children who had been in his care.

In 2002, Vincent Kieran Kiss, 70, pleaded guilty in the Sydney District Court, Australia for sex crimes against four teenage boys, aged 13 to 17, between 1966 and 1973 at locations including Albury, Yass and Sydney. Kiss was the Catholic Diocesan Director of Youth in Wagga Wagga at the time of the offences and the four victims were members of the Young Christian Students Association. Whilst not a Bishop – he was a senior clergyman in Australia.

Monsignor Carlos Eduardo Pellegrin Barrera is the Bishop of San Bartolome de Chilian. A series …

3. … of allegations have been made against the Bishop to the local media concerning sexual abuse against children.

and I could go on ….

There are many many more cases of cover up by bishops, archbishops and cardinals including Cardinal Murphy O’Connor when he was Bishop of Arundel and Brighton.

Its not just priests who have committed the abuse – some senior clergy have too, and many senior clergy have conspired to cover it up.

For me, one of the most insidious cover ups was by the attempts by the Belgian RC church to obstruct police investigations into child abuse (endorsed and supported by the Vatican) in 2010.

39. James Lees 1 Apr 2012, 12:33pm

I believed it for about 20 minutes – I nearly called my neighbour over to show her.

I guess I wanted to believe it – and it makes so much more sense than what they actually say!

40. April Fool???? Certainly O’Brien is an ‘any month’ Fool !!!

If the story is ‘genuine’ then O’Brien is still a FOOL since the proposal does not in any way shape or frm include religious institutions!!

41. Robert in S. Kensington 1 Apr 2012, 12:55pm

I almost fell for this one but realised it was April fools’ day. If only it were true, kind of a cruel prank though but I can see the humour in it just the same.

1. Check the by-line

42. Another Hannah 1 Apr 2012, 1:55pm

They’re right it is April the first, and now past twelve, so please put us out of our misery….

43. Jim Fields 1 Apr 2012, 2:37pm

lol I had begin to wonder if hell wasnt freezing over .. and saw no pigs flying . and so I say happy april fool’s day

44. Benjamin Cohen 1 Apr 2012, 2:49pm

Of course it’s an April Fool

1. An inspired, topical, appropriate and hilarious one!

Well done!

2. Don Harrisoin 1 Apr 2012, 9:27pm

Sorry Ben but the fool is Pink News.
      Equal Marriage is a REAL problem that the f******
      Roman Catholics and the others are trying to stop.
      This is SERIOUS, not any type of joke.

45. A leaked report…from a Gay guy within his realm….shock bother…there are plenty of us GAY CATHOLICS about…wake up church you really an Embarrassment….

46. Robert in S. Kensington 1 Apr 2012, 4:03pm

That picture of fool O’Brien isn’t recent either.

47. Thanks. I look like a horse’s ass now for sharing this in my GLBT group. Not amused.

48. If only…

49. Bottom line for the church is ‘God Money’…
    No one has learn not to repeat the sins of 4.AD or those done before & after.

50. johnny33308 2 Apr 2012, 12:14am

He is quite correct about one thing; nothing he says or any religious authority says for that matter, will ever mean anything in our Civil Society…religion has become totally irrelevant….he is the living proof of the truth of this…..people are no longer superstitious and filled with fear so religion is no longer necessary….we no longer need that crutch to get through life as we have ‘evolved’…..

51. johnny33308 2 Apr 2012, 12:18am

Not Funny!!!! At All!

52. April Fools’ jokes are supposed to be funny, but essentially harmless.

Don’t think this one really hit the mark.

Remember that a lot of people tirelessly campaign to change attitudes within the Catholic Church towards homosexuality. Not just in this country, but in many other countries around the world where the issue of same-sex marriage is irrelevant and instead Catholic attitudes to homosexuality are literally a matter of life and death.

Sorry, but I don’t find this funny. And I don’t think the sickening attitude the Catholic church holds against gay people around the world is something to joke about either.

53. Oh how kind of them, I am so very touched by this message….sorry was I just being sarcastic then?…..’What Ever!!!’

54. Dang!!! I was forgetting what date it is!!!

1. I must agree with everyone…It was a pretty crude joke and now it should be gone!!!

55. Phil Bannister 2 Apr 2012, 9:03am

A poor joke in bad taste, how could Europe’s largest gay news website make such a mistake as to poke fun at the situation. That story could have meant a lot to many of your readers, it shows PinkNews has a lack of regard for it’s readers and the news it reports. Poor show.

56. It’s a little sad that Christians being kind accepting and understanding has been reduced to joke material. When i was in primary school and secondary school i was taught in RE about Christianity and how a good Christian is charitable, kind and accepting. The tale of the good samaritan was never taught to my younger brothers (i guess it gave off the wrong vibe for ‘modern’ christians). Although it’s addressed to Christian America, the letter in this article sums it up for me: http://www.bradblog.com/?p=7562

57. Can we get rid of this now? It was a pretty mean joke and it’s no longer 1 April.

58. Take this article down, Pink News. This is an issue that has not yet been decided and that we all clearly feel strongly about. Not a laughing matter – for anyone who was taken in by this article (and from the comments, that was quite a few people), it must have been a disappointment to find out the truth. Take it down.