Welsh vicar resigns over Church’s homophobic attitudes to gay couples marrying

1. Good on this vicar for having some principles and standing by them.

1. Unfortunately there are also people who have the wrong principles and who stand by those, luckily Rev Morton isn’t one of them.

2. “Canon Andrew Knight of Sketty, Swansea, opposes gay marriage and said although the Christian community had sympathy with gay people, it “cannot celebrate something which is not seen as being good””

Sweetheart, we don’t want your sympathy.

1. Damn right!

2. Personally, I find being gay is great and for the good. After all I won’t be helping the world continue to over populate!

Good on this chap for standing and speaking out agaist the blatant homophobia that the rest of us are seeing

1. And our taxes pay for the kids of the breeding populous.

3. stan James 30 Mar 2012, 2:00am

what we really want is to see what goes on behind closed doors with the homophobes.

The real qquestion is will be – is it with men or boys?

3. Good man. I take my hat off to him. Really proud of his move to stand up against religious homophobia.

4. Whilst I think this was a very brave move, I can’t help but feel sorry for him that it’s come to this. He shouldn’t have felt this was his only move, here.

5. A man of integrity.

6. Good for him, rare to see someone with something to lose standing up for their principles.

7. More evidence that the Church will “fragment” over this issue rather than society. I suspect he’ll be the first of many.

1. stan James 30 Mar 2012, 3:53am

And you can bet that the bad guys will be the old folks . Time will cure those people.

IF only they could see the bugs devouring their bodies

8. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17545989

Very brief news video interview.

9. Seriously, PN – I wish you’d put a bit more thought into your headlines. This is another ambiguous leader that on first reading suggests the vicar resigned because he’d said something homophobic. Actually the opposite is true.
    As for Canon Andrew Knight’s comment about having sympathy with gay people but not being able to celebrate same sex marriage – no one is asking him to. No one will force him to. That’s the point. Marriage equality allowing same sex marriage is about equality in the law, it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with his superstitions or personal bigotry.

1. If it was his own homophobic attitude surely it would have been written in the singular and in any case that wouldn’t have been a reason for resignation (sadly!).

10. Resigning makes a strong statement of principal – something opponents of SSM rarely do, such as that MEP – however I think that vicars like this should stay in the church, otherwise they are delivering it into the hands of the new brand of “mainstream” extremists.

1. stan James 30 Mar 2012, 3:55am

all the good people should leave the church. eventually the churches will become curiosities at which people will laugh at the crumbling buildings.

For the time being, wear a cross like I do in some situations

made out of two dildos.

11. I wonder how many more will now follow his lead?

Good luck to him in whatever he decides to do next.

12. Putting his money where his mouth is. A rare and brave and, dare I say it, christian thing for a christian to do.

The message going out to people in his denomination is clear – silence is complicity and collaboration.

13. It’s always good to see people making such a principled stand, but in a way I hope not too many priests follow his example. There’s a big danger that too many of the moderate, liberal priests will leave the church, leaving just the homophobic evangelists. Even if we don’t care about the future of the church, that should worry us because of the undoubted influence the church carries.

14. I was on diocesan synod and active in parish life, but the homophobia in some parts of the church, and many liberals quiet aquiescence, led me to leaving the church I had committed most of my life to. We are not isolated examples of people giving up on the church. Of course, our exit works in the favour of the bigots, but in the long run it just means the church becomes less and less relevant, to the point where it will atrophy completely. Sad.

15. Jock S. Trap 29 Mar 2012, 12:32pm

We need to hear from more people like this good on him.
    I do question whether resigning was the right this because he could be a voice within that makes a difference. On of many.
    Now they’ll probably fill his post with someone who only supports the churches view.
    Again though good on Rev Andrew Morton for making this stand.

16. ” the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, who is to step down from his post, said the law should not be used as a tool to bring about social changes such as gay marriage.”

Such as ending slavery, such as votes for women, such as equal pay for women, such as race equality laws, rights for the disabled, for children?

And on and on and on and on………

Thank goodness Rowan Williams is going. His church never did much to effect any social change ever in history, just tried to stop it all.

1. stan James 30 Mar 2012, 3:58am

A smiling old man who reminds me of real oldtime movies

in one of them, (chalie chaplin I think) the car was held together by an electromagnet.

when they turned it off, the car fell to the ground in a pile of dust and thousands of parts

Turn off RW’s magnet

17. Wish someone had some principles here http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2012/03/27/calling-all-black-people-nom-wants-to-use-you/ this can happen in any country.

18. Whoops… when I first read about Llan Gay Bi, I though this story had appeared three days too early !

19. The’ve not only got a nice vicar in Monmouthshire but also have a really nice conservative MP who has written this piece on Marriage Equality

Perhaps Monmouthshire may be a good place to visit!

20. Congratulations to Welsh Vicar for actu;ally being a very good human being and what a real christian would do, and that is not toloerate the abuses of others, YOU NEED TO OPEN UP YOUR OWN HANDS OF LOVE CHURCH AND MANY OTHER VICARS AND PRIESTS WILL FOLLOW AND JOIN, THIER ARE SO MANY TIRED OF RACIST AN ABUSVIVE RELIGIOUS OCCULTS, NO VICAR , PRIEST , SHOULD EVEN BE EVERY SUBJECT TO ANOTHER MAN OR WOMENS PERSONAL DELEGATIONS TO THEIR PRIVATE LIVES, YOU ARE JUST AS GROWN AS THEY ARE , THEY ARE INTRUDING AND IVADING IN YOUR PRIVATE AFFAIRS WHICH IS A CRIME AND AN OFFENSE , IF YOU HAVE NOT DONE ANYTHING TO HARM ANYONE, EVERYONE INCLUDING PRIEST , VICARS , AND GOOD KIND EQUALITY, DECENT PASTORS WHICH THIER OR VERY FEW IN THE HETEROSEXUAL REALMS, THEIR ABUSIVE PEDEPHILES, BUT ALL SHOULD ENJOY HAPPY LIVES, AND FIND ENJOYMENT WITHOUT HARMING OR VIOLATING OTHERS IN ANYWAY, GO DANCING, BINGO, CASINOS, AS LONG AS YOU ARE NOT HARMING OTHERS, GET YOU SOME TRUST WORTHY FREINDS AND MATES PARTNERS ,

21. Thank you all for your support. At this stage I’m not sure what I’ll be doing in the future – lots of music and some writing almost certainly. Some may follow my lead but I’m not holding my breath.

1. Thanks for you strong stand, Drew

I hope others will follow your lead.

I believe that the church are seeking to restrict freedom of religion for gay people who want to marry and for other churches and religious organisations who wish to marry gay couples. Restricting freedom of religion or freedom from religion is never right. Thats without commenting on the homophobia (whether obvious homophobia or disguised homophobia) that the church are vividly using in dealing with this issue. If you exchange the work gay for black, then the comments would never have been seen as acceptable, honourable or appropriate – racism is not acceptable, nor is homophobia.

Thank you again for your support and for your integrity.

22. Ray Crossman 24 May 2012, 3:13pm

Good riddence – Stand against the demonic – don’t bottle out!
    He should have gone along with the anti gays instead he bottled it.