Madonna may be arrested in St Petersburg

1. I would really respect Madonna (even more than ’80s Madonna’) if she didn’t back down. lets see if she can put her freedom where her mouth is.

1. In 1990 I believe that she was threatened with arrest for her on-stage mock masturbation. Although nothing came of it in the end, while aware of the threat, she did it anyway. The back stage Truth or Dare footage showed that she was having bricks (she’s not that good an actor), but she did it anyway. So this isn’t the first time, and this time is far more important than pretending to have a diddle.

2. Scott of Sydney 23 Mar 2012, 9:42pm

I too hope Madonna goes through with this. World attention would be galvanised. For the anti-gay bigots arresting Madonna would be an “own Goal” making all the Russian people aware of this latest denial of rights of Russian Citizens.

3. “ready to personally suffer a couple of hours of her concert” => maybe buy a poster, perhaps a t-shirt, dance, sing along, y’know, all to control the moral content, of course…

4. She’s a clever woman, she knew this would be the outcome so I don’t see her backing out.

Let’s see if this idiot has the balls to charge her.

5. chris lowcase 23 Mar 2012, 10:17pm

im sick of hearing ‘they are exploiting the cause for their own gain’. so what if they are? if shes echoing the beliefs of the majority, shes echoing the beliefs of the majority. if the majority is actually homophobic, shes risking her reputation.

cant say im a massive fan of her music, i buy records when i like an artists music. thats how most people do it. glad to see anybody speak out against homophobia.

1. Exactly as far as I’m concerned it’s win, win.

Madonna, Lady Gaga, Ben and Jerry’s, Starbucks…

Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

6. Keith Farrell 23 Mar 2012, 10:22pm

although I would respect her more if she did get arrested but what would really make my day is if she used all the money from her tour and gave it to the local LGBT for use in fighting these stupid laws, and tell the asshole he does not need to suufer though the performance, because it will be shown live and all the funds from that can go to the fight for equal rights, come on Madonna, you have enough money, use this to show us your fans that you care about us and our fight for our rights

1. Muttlestar Galactica 23 Mar 2012, 10:39pm

The sad truth is Keith, if Madonna did indeed donate all of the proceeds from these concerts to the local LGBT orgs., it would just make them a target for violent criminal activity.

2. How do you know what she does with her money? Rich people don’t have to publicise every donation they make. I’m confident she already supports LGBT causes. Some people are never happy…do you want her blood??

7. It looks like Madonna has become the Martin Luther King or Gandhi for the LGBT equal rights movement in the world. We could use a Gandhi or Martin Luther King to help free all LGBT people in the world to stop the hate and killing of LGBT people in the world.

8. It will be interesting to see what happens here. If she does follow with her promise my respect for her will go up ten-fold!

But something did annoying me in this article was “the propaganda of male homosexuality, lesbianism…”

Maybe I’m just being picky but to me we’re both gay! What’s this with male homosexuality and lesbianism as if it’s something VERY different. All that’s different as we’re female and they’re male. We’re still gay! I personally haven’t ever really been a fan of ‘lesbian’ in truth. I’m gay, simple as!

1. You do know that’s the wording of the bill?

I don’t think the people who wrote the bill give two sh!ts about offending you, as they hate you anyway.

9. who do you think is also receiving some benefits from this concert? the city council perhaps? they’re not gonna give her a place where to play for free. if she was REALLY against this this bill she should cancel the show, like the russian gay activits said. she’s just exploiting a shallow and materialistic fragment of the gay community as she’s has always done.

1. she never claim to be Che Guevara and the amount of exposure the ban on human rights will get is pricless, st petersburg is a rich city anyway

2. Oh yeah, canceling the show vs. being arrested.

Which do you think would bring more interest to the issue? What good would doing NOTHING achieve, as opposed to doing SOMETHING.

10. GingerlyColors 24 Mar 2012, 2:16am

What petty behaviour from the authorities in Leningrad – whoops, St. Petersburg. I know Madonna has courted controversy in the past but at least she usually ended up upsetting the religious zealots, especially those in the Catholic Church. She is an intelligent woman and I am sure that she has assessed the risks of speaking out against the city’s Anti Gay Publicity Law. How many people got nicked for speaking out against Section 28? And how many prosecutions occured under Section 28? Answer: NONE!

11. Robert in S. Kensington 24 Mar 2012, 3:06am

So go ahead, bash Madonna all you want just as many of you bash Peter Tatchell. How many of ou would have the guts and the courage to take on a hostile, rabidly homophobic government? What have you done lately for human rights? It’s easy to sit home and pass judgement and do absolutely NOTHING.

Case in point. Here at home, we have an equally rabidly homophobic bunch of religious extremists who’ve garnered 300,555+ signatures in a petition to thwart the government’s plan to legalise same-sex civil marriage and a dismally low 33,500 in opposition to them. Think about that. Action speaks louder than words. I suggest that some of you put your money where your mouths are. At least she speaks out. Good for her if she carries it out and I wouldn’t put it past her not to.

12. Dr Robin Guthrie 24 Mar 2012, 3:16am

Fact of the matter is that she is a Global superstar name.

The media will pounce on it and hightlight this inequity.

Do you really think that a few poofs moaning on Pink News will make such a global statement.

Good on her. I say.

13. Go Madonna, it will be aired worldwide and will be hugely negative for Russia, still part if the ‘evil’ empire!

14. I’ve always loved Madonna and I feel proud for the fact she’d take this stance even after being threatened.
    Why the hell would such a stupid bill be passed in Russia in this day and age? is the governer retarded ? or a homophobe ? either way I hope the U.N looks into the matter (I’m sorry I don’t know if Russia is part of it) and insists Russia remove this dumb law at once.

15. Someone has an album out on Monday …….. hmmm

1. of course, stupid. why else do you think she’s on a tour? you think she chose St-Petersburg for her tour because of the controversy and in hopes it would spark sales of her album?

The tour has probably been completely scheduled, booked, etc… since way before talk of that insane anti-gay law.

16. Carl Rowlands 24 Mar 2012, 8:10am

The impact of a global headline would be truly amazing! Can you imagine that! I hope she goes through with it

17. Madonna getting arrested on the grounds of immorality? And for a good cause, too? Now that would be exciting, even better than the things she used to do in the old days! I’m all for it. And I don’t care if she squeezes all the publicity possible out of it.

18. F**** you St. Petersburg! You are ruled by monkeys.

19. From the other article, the law “imposes heavy fines for any individuals or collectives that break the law, which comes into effect on March 24.”

Lourdes, you can do without one day’s pocket money for mummy, can’t you?

20. It’s a win-win situation all round. Firstly, it will give the authorities one very big headache: do they let her get away with it, or do they arrest her? Either way, they end up looking stupid.

Secondly, if she’s arrested the worldwide adverse publicity against St. Petersburg will help to bring about change.

Thirdly, if she’s not arrested then the law is made to look stupid.

And if Madonna makes a fortune from helping the gay cause, that’s great. Showing that being gay-friendly makes business sense is a good message to send out.

21. Lets hope she goes through with it, it will show what hideous country Russia really is!

22. Peter & Michael 24 Mar 2012, 6:41pm

Madonna and Lady GaGa have been at the forefront of our liberation for our rights as human beings, just because we love a same-sex partner, let us see if President Obama will have the b****s to send a message of Equality for Gay people as Hilary Clinton has done in her speech to the UN. ‘Gay Rights are Human Rights’.

23. Paddyswurds 24 Mar 2012, 6:55pm

Who cares; she is just another talentless,ugly shouty New Yoik broad…..

1. Why are you so nasty?

1. Paddyswurds 24 Mar 2012, 9:06pm

Just don’t rate this woman. If she had talent then maybe just maybe. She only got where she is by being as shocking as possible and by revealing her unattractive body to the world. I’m not one of these silly queens who swoon over her because of the glitz and glam. Most of them wouldn’t recognise talent if it came up and slapped them in the eek. People like Barbara Streisand and Judy Garland had real talent and proved it without spreading their naked bodies all over the stage.

24. Michael Inkpin-Leissner 24 Mar 2012, 7:39pm

Shame on you St. Petersburg. Zar Peter was a great sophisticated man. You do not deserve his name. Go back to Leningrad and communist terror!

1. Paddyswurds 24 Mar 2012, 9:10pm

Madonnas stunt in Russia is only a cynical attempt to revive a career long past it’s sell by date…..and on the backs of Russia’s GLB community too .Shame on her. How much does she give of her vast fortune to Gay charities I wonder??

1. Gay charities? Are you kidding me? Am I to consider myself as homeless and hungry who needs charity because I am gay?
        No. We don’t need charity. We need equal treatment as everyone else in a modern country, not some idiotic prohibitive law to limit our freedoms because we’re born to like men. If the biggest name in popular culture is on our side, then that’s even better! No one can get as much attention as Madonna can. And if Madonna’s career is lost, how do you explain that her last tour two years ago was the biggest solo artist tour in history?

25. Well if she breaks the law of the country, she should be arressted.

1. She is going to speak against it, not break it. Protests are not forbidden in democratic countries.

1. Speaking against it, is violating the law, as she will be speaking about the very thing that the law bans!

26. The Russian people are wonderful people who often suffer from the bad image that idiotic politicians create for them. Madonna is the biggest name in the popular culture and I hope that her actions will focus more attention from all over the world on the humiliation that is going on in Russia in 21st century.