Muslim preacher who said gays should be ‘treated’ barred from University talk

1. Says very little about the credentials of the University of Hertfordshire Student Union Islamic Society if they actually asked this degenerate to speak to them in the first place.

No doubt we’ll have the new damaged mental health flavour of the month,
    legendary witty and insightful one liners supporting lunacy like this. A fool loves company, after all.

1. i think he should have been allowed to speak and use the forum to challenge his views…he’s treating homosexuality like a disease – i’d like to know more about how he arrives at that conclusion and where in the koran it eludes to this?

1. It’s weighing it up between giving a ill informed bigot the oxygen of publicity and denying him further influence.

2. There’s little point in challenging the views of someone who acts in this way because he think god wants him to.

“As Muslims, we follow what Allah commands us without seeking the reason or the wisdom behind it. ”

No amount of rational debate will work.

1. This quote was what disturbed me the most, I felt sick just reading it.

1. Yes, he described the mindlessness very succinctly, and even seems proud of the mindlessness.

2. This is true – If it was possible to reason with religious people, there would be no religious people. And his religious text – like any other – is a mirror that you can hold up to yourself and use to reinforced whatever bias you have. Peace love and understanding? Sure. Bigotry, hate and aggression? Yep. Conveniently it is always whatever the reader wants it to be. (convenient, of course, to everyone but the inevitable victims)

3. A civilised individual should not be concerned what Koran says, its not a book of fact. Its like referencing a Harry Potter book for a cure for cancer.

1. Is Harry Potter not crucial to your life Will? ;-)

4. I disgree, giving this man a platform to discuss his homophobic views, implies his views could be respected, valuable and justifiable.

Reparative therapy is neither repected, valid or justifiable in the UK

The sooner this preacher gets a string of cold receptions, the sooner he will realise he is out of sync with the UK.

2. I’d be fascinated to know how the Islamic Society at the campus responded/responds to this

1. That is if they respond to any press queries, which I doubt very much they will!

1. I think there’s more chance of Berry White being cast as James Bond.

In all seriousness, though, aren’t student bodies such as this housed within a campus kind of protected from the scruples of the press?

1. I guess if the story is in the public interest as this one is then they should be questioned and/or make a statement

1. Couldn’t agree more, but I think getting a comment (from the group themselves, rather than filtered through an official campus representative) is unlikely.

2. and, in a sidenote, I’m going tooth and nail with some idiots on Facebook about this same story. I’m glad common sense prevails here!

3. Robert in S. Kensington 22 Mar 2012, 1:47pm

But they get away with it too. His language isn’t so different from the hateful bile coming from C4M, Norman Wells of the Family Education Trust, all tantamount to hate speech and incitement to hate as we’re seeing while the marriage equality consultation is in gear. The lies these people are spreading are absolutely despicable and appalling. They’re doing their utmost to make sure they influence MPs when a vote on marriage equality approaches. In other words, they’re interfering in the political process and in doing so, issuing veiled threats to MPs who don’t vote the way they want them to by unseating them in elections. Corruption of the worst kind. What they want is for the UK to become a theocracy and the only avenue for them is to infest Parliament with their agenda. This man is no different.

4. Maybe that sort of ignorance should be treated.

1. It is possible. Start with the ripping up of holy texts and apply multiple courses of education while encouraging critical thought.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 22 Mar 2012, 3:20pm

I’d start first with a national movement to disestablish the CoE. I can almost hear them screaming “abuse of religious freedom” victim card.

5. I am glad that the University has taken the step of banning him from speaking.

The only thing here that needs treating is his small minded and bigotted views!

6. The University has done the right thing – His behaviour is no different from inviting the KKK on to the campus to talk about race relations. And you know that if we were to say that choosing to be religious was a sign of mental defect that should be treated by the application of education and science, he would be screaming “help help I’m a victim” so fast that his head would spin.

7. Harry Pauls 22 Mar 2012, 2:35pm

“As muslims”?! I’m sorry, I didn’t realise we were in a muslim country. Last time I checked we were in Britain! Leave this country if you are unhappy about that. Otherwise, shut up and get on with life. Contribute to UK culture or leave.

1. This man can’t be said to reflect the views of all British Muslims any more than Arch-bigot Carey can be said to reflect the views of all Anglicans.

8. rick george 22 Mar 2012, 2:53pm

Perhaps he would be better off at the London School of Economics. They would probably roll out a red carpet for him.

1. rick george 22 Mar 2012, 2:57pm

Since theyve introduced a policy which essentially renders any criticism or questioning of Islam or the koran as racism.

9. Muslims already have a “treatment” plan for people they do not like, for example Christians and LGBT people, they just cut off their heads. In the west psychiatry is used by the Christians to electric shock and destroy the brain with drugs, this is how the Christians destroy the people they do not like. It work like the Muslims cut off the head but in the West they do it in such as way as to make it appear the head is still on the person only it they are “dead in the head”. This is kind of like the psychological operation they have against LGBT people. The Christians use “psychology” to destroy LGBT people but nobody can see the mess of a bloody head but the effect is similar in that the person is dead in the head. Look at the ex gay Christian “treatments” and you will see what they use to destroy LGBT children and people. The Christians and Muslims are both evil who do this and need to be stopped before they kill more people.

10. So where is my comment, have the thought police taken it away and put it in a special box marked “bigot”. This is the very reason, why so many people get upset with the whole equality agenda ,by stifling free debate – hateful or otherwise, you increase resentment which in turn increases hatred ,because those people who wish to express a view which is not in keeping with the current direction of the debate are being treated diffrent.[in an attempt to silence no doubt] Equality means just that everyone gets equal treatment, it includes the right to voice opinions about alternative lifesyles..

1. I no more have a “gay lifestyle” than I have a “blue eyed lifestyle”. Sexual orientation – gay, straight or bi – t is an innate and immutable personal characteristic and your input and opinion on it is neither wanted nor relevant to the subject. Now cry some more, little b!tch.

1. Just, the kind of comment that helps advance the debate for equality.No wonder some groups of society are so strongly opposed to the alternative lifestyle.

1. No, I won’t tolerate your intolerance. Please stop playing the “help help I’m a victim” card, it makes you even more of a little whiny b!tch.

1. Like I said, just the kind of comments I have come to expect .You demand equality ,which I totally agree with but ,not at the expense of others being silenced because they express distaste or disdain at the alternative lifestyle some members of society choose to live.That is not intolerance it is however free expression … you fool. “where you burn books next you will burn people”

2. Your expressing your opinion on my sexuality is like your expressing your opinion on the colour of my eyes, my hair and my skin. It is neither wanted nor relevant.

2. I’m afraid for most of us there is little point in debating equality with the sort of people who use terms like ‘lifestyle’ for sexuality.

1. Dr Robin Guthrie 23 Mar 2012, 8:57am

“debating equality”

I do not DEBATE equality I DEMAND it.

2. Dr Robin Guthrie 22 Mar 2012, 6:27pm

“who wish to express a view which is not in keeping with the current direction of the debate ”

Sorry luv, but my rights are NOT up for debate.

1. I could not agree more people died so we could have those rights .However you do not win debates by banning people because you disagree with his or her comments re :”treated”. You win debates by reasonable balanced argument. Turning this guy into a devil or a hate figure does nothing to advance the whole equality debate .In fact it makes it go in the wrong direction.

1. Dr Robin Guthrie 23 Mar 2012, 8:55am

As I said. My rights are not up for “debate.”

3. And what rights do you have Tris that you’d be happy for us to debate their removal from you ?

I suspect you didn’t post anything, or you cannot use a website properly.

11. I am a bi-sexual and I say he who has no sin cast the first stone. God is about love not hate. Hate the sin and not the person. Hello.

1. The “hate the sin, love the sinner” line is a pile of cr@p – nothing more than a demand that LGBT people live a lonely and celibate life. It is pure sadism, nothing more. (Yet again, overjoyed that I never wasted one moment of my life believing in that junk).

2. If nobody judged anybody,there would be anarchy. A stupid teaching, almost as stupid as loving enemies.

3. I like the way you write “Hello” at the end there Darrell like we’re all stupid because we have not considered the “word of God”. Nice touch.

4. Dr Robin Guthrie 23 Mar 2012, 10:22am

There is no sin to hate.

Sin is a concept created by religions to keep it’s stupid believers in check.

It simply does not exist.

12. Read again. Never said anything about love the sinner.

1. “Love the sinner, hate the sin” is the standard party line of godbot drivel used by people who want to try and excuse themselves from being a bigot.

13. chris lowcase 22 Mar 2012, 7:15pm

i very rarely meet a religious person who holds any sort of homophobic opinions. i do however know several who feel emberresed about their religion because of biggots like this guy. as i said in other posts, its not just harmful for LGBT, but for british mulsims.

1. Really? You should go to any muslim neighbourhood in the UK and ask 100 British muslims if being gay is good and if they think that we deserve equality. I guarantee 90 of them will say no. The other 10 will either be deaf or unable to speak English.

2. If you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas. You can either whine about it, or work on cleaning the dog. But being passive and doing nothing is as good as collaboration.

14. Sheffield Student 22 Mar 2012, 8:50pm

He’s appearing at Sheffield Hallam on tuesday, we’re going to welcome him and send a message to ISOC that they can’t invite these people unopposed :) http://www.facebook.com/events/345568118812688/?ref=ts