Equal marriage opponents call for Starbucks boycott

1. Brown says “We will not tolerate an international company attempting to force its misguided values on citizens”. We say “we will not tolerate a pack of christofascist loons, with no dog in the race, who seek to deny our rights and shove their bronze age dogmatic drivel down our throats.” If you don’t like marriage equality, don’t marry someone of the same sex. Beyond that point, it is none of their bloody business.

1. Amen to that Valksy…I think they are still under the misguided perception that they still have lots of Christianised bigot power in the world. When in fact it is dribbling away into the sewers where it belongs..

2. Who are these Christian Fascist in the Starbucks company? We need the names so we can target the top LGBT haters in that company as there might be some pro-gay people in the company. This way we can see who the enemy is and not harm gays who might be part of the company. I for one will stop going to Starbucks until they support equal marriage and Civil Rights for all LGBT people. I never thought they had good coffee for the price they charge. Shame on them for being haters too.

1. @Randy — probably you might need to (re)read the article …

2. Thats why a certain element are calling for a boycot because Starbucks have BACKED the equal marriage campain in Washington

3. I say this is a good thing. The last thing homophobes need is caffeine! ;)

But seriously, though. Their arguments are collapsing like a flan left in a cupboard. A few more embarrassing situations like this and even those who opposed marriage equality will start to see it’s all rather daft.

4. Redefining marriage for the whole of society? What an idiot. Does he really think that a heterosexual married couple are going to have to make changes to their marriage as a result of marriage equality legislation? It won’t touch them!

5. Thats me using Starbucks then, starting tomorrow,

6. Well, I’m sure the people at Starbucks are overjoyed to hear this news as it will probably increase their business tenfold.

7. I will not buy their overpriced sugar water.

1. I don’t like their coffee but I’m going straight out now to buy some anyway. Well done Starbucks!

8. Mumbo Jumbo 22 Mar 2012, 6:05pm

In that case, I look forward to their protest against the Roman Catholic Church.

9. Oh. This puts me in a conundrum. Do I START buying this company’s truly horrible, baby-mixture frothy ‘coffee’ in solidarity with their laudable support?

1. Same here. I might have to reluctantly lift my personal ban on the company out of solidarity. Just temporarily.

10. Gene in L.A. 22 Mar 2012, 6:21pm

Brown says, ““The majority of Americans and virtually every consumer in some countries in which Starbucks operates believe that marriage is between one man and one woman. They will not be pleased to learn that their money is being used to advance gay marriage in society.” Quite to the contrary, the majority does not agree; and some people, now including me, are happy to know our money is going to a corporation that celebrates diversity and equality.

11. I am personally going to make it a point to go to Starbucks instead of other coffee shops!

12. chris lowcase 22 Mar 2012, 6:58pm

i think the majority will have suggestions ready as to where they should place said pledge. starbucks are massive, i think they will be ok. maybe pick a smaller target like ben & jerry’s or the british government? …..including several members of the political party that opposes the gov on everything else other than marriage equality?

13. johnny33308 22 Mar 2012, 7:31pm

Hahahahahaha…..all this will do is get LGBTIQ people and those who think All People deserve the SAME rights, to drink more Starbucks and to patronize their shops even more! What a pack of loons! Evil loons, but loons nonetheless!

14. johnny33308 22 Mar 2012, 7:42pm

BTW, to our British friends, the National Organization for Marriage is a Hate Group comprised of Catholics and Mormons who are extremely bigoted and believe (in their twisted and damaged minds) that we somehow live in a Theocracy….these same people and their handful of wealthy “patrons” along with both of these “churches” were the driving force behind prop 8 in California which has since been found to be Unconstitutional….soon perhaps we can get the Federal DOMA bigotry law rescinded and marriage equality will become the law of the land, as each state’s law banning SSM is ruled to be the same bigoted unconstitutional garbage and overturned, once and for all…..the evil bigots are on the ropes and on the run….

15. johnny33308 22 Mar 2012, 7:42pm

16. I like this article, it has flavoured coffee and christian fundamentalism. You don’t get that much.
    Starbucks should be deeply concerned to lose this business, isn’t this around the time of year they remember Jesus transforming water in to Chai Creme Frappuccinos?

17. The most bigoted and stupid thing about NOM’s line on this is the assumption that people in less developed and less well educated countries will share their backwardness. Unfortunately they don’t realise that the only people in Peru or South Africa who can afford Starbucks, are a well educated wealthy minority who share similar values to the sane 50% of US citizens.

1. Equality Network 23 Mar 2012, 8:47am

Not forgetting also that South Africa has had same-sex marriage for several years and has explicit constitutional protection from sexual orientation discrimination.

18. I keep finding more reason to use Starbucks!!! Sorry NOM but I WAN’T be boycotting Starbucks!!!

19. I’ve never used Starbucks. I like the cafe over the road from it in my town. But I might try them just once.

20. If I thought this would make even the tiniest dent in Starbucks’s profits, I’d be straight off to get a coffee. However, I don’t think they have anything to worry about!

21. Cat Howard 23 Mar 2012, 9:01am

“We will not tolerate an international company attempting to force its misguided values on citizens.” Why is it that groups who are intolerant of others’ actions, such as NOM, have no problem with attempting to force its “misguided values” on those corporations?

Although same sex marriage has been legal in Canada for some years, Starbuck’s decision seems like a very good reason to visit them more often.

22. Great publicity for Starbucks. Quite agree that Brown’s quote about forcing ‘its misguided values on citizens’ would appear to apply to most world religions. However, Starbucks doesn’t get my support. It flouts planning and labour laws. I prefer small independent coffee shops…sadly too few left in the UK nowadays.

23. They talk about it not being right to force your values on others, but isn’t that what they are doing? I do not see what Starbucks is doing as forcing their values on others. I see it as allowing me to have my values. There is a difference between allowing others to have their values, and forcing others to have the same values as you. Starbucks is allowing. NOM is forcing. I will have my first ever cup of Starbucks coffee today.

24. Funnily enough, most people I know who are against same-sex marriage are also morally opposed to coffee.

I’m pretty proud of my state, Washington, and the big companies that we have that have pledged support of gay marriage!