Council to consider official gay quarter for Leeds

1. Well done on Leeds City Council!

2. In principle, it’s a lovely idea. I always worry about these ‘gay quarter’ notions, though. Don’t they by their very definition slightly support segregation? :S But agree with the above, well done LCC on the hearing of the idea

1. That’s what I was thinking… but I suppose as a place to meet similar people and make friends it’s a good thing.

I’m not particularly thrilled though, Leeds gay district is one of the most scummy areas I’ve ever been in.

1. My first thought was ‘do we need more segregation?’ Haven’t been to Leeds but I’m guessing part of the council’s plan is to rejuvenate the area in question. Why don’t they just get on and do that anyway? These days too many councils see support for the LGBT community in economic terms. What about addressing the needs of all LGBT people…not just the business community? I hope some of the investment goes into providing services – not just rainbow signs.

2. Exactly why they’re “giving” it to the LGBT community to spruce up a bit. It’s worked for cities all over the world. The gay businesses move in, the property developers follow, then the restaurants, delis and cafes. Before you know it….no more scummy area.

I agree with some posters that it does seem a bit like they’re creating a gay ghetto, but if it helps gay people in Leeds and surrounding towns to have a definite destination then I’m all for it.

2. Agree with you on the segregation part of your comment!

3. chris lowcase 22 Mar 2012, 11:53am

meh, i think that a lot of the time. but statistics usually bring me round. its just easier to meet a gay guy in say canal street. if it wasnt based on sexuality i would probably be comparing it to going to one pub cos you like rock, or another cos you like jazz. ofc my friends who listen to jazz would be more than happy for some rock. i know its a terrible comparison.

3. Is a quarter enough? I think they should aim for at least a third!

4. Wonderful – at least we’ll know where to avoid the screaming hordes of hen-nights now.

Canal Street in Manchester was destroyed when the straight massive cottoned on to it.

It seems to be inevitable.

5. Leeds gay scene is ok, mainly full of hen nights and straight people it seems these days! I suppose thats equality for you though, our culture can be raped an diluted by the majority just like everyone else.

1. Nothing to do with equality and more to the fact that straight men followed where all the hen parties were and unfortunately they have a habit of clucking loudly and annoyingly around gay bars.

1. Sadly it’s happening the world over. Even in Sitges the hen nights are beginning to appear, although so far they’re only getting as far as Parrots and Ruby’s. Whenever I pick someone up from the airport and a crowd of pink clad women in devil horns come through I always hope they’re heading the other way into Barcelona ;)

6. Isn’t this something like a Ghetto?

7. Jock S. Trap 22 Mar 2012, 11:11am

Excellent, well done Leeds City Council. Let’s hope this motion goes all the way.
    It’s good to see more and more realising that our community is very important in society and makes just as much of a contribution as any one else. In some cases more.

8. Bit patronising

1. Jock S. Trap 22 Mar 2012, 12:32pm

Because?

9. chris lowcase 22 Mar 2012, 12:01pm

mixed feelings and i can understand why.

if im honest, i dont like canal street. i have a much better night somewhere else in manchester. (unless anybody can suggest a bar for guys who are convinced its the 90s, and really need a haircut). its nice to go somewhere where i wont feel stupid to find out somebody is actually straight though. thats not a fault of society and suggesting that gay people are a minority isnt homophobic.

so on the whole im glad leeds has that chance too. im sure gay/lesbian/trans people will be welcome in several other venues in the city as they are in manchester.

1. chris lowcase 22 Mar 2012, 12:02pm

by several, i mean most.. if not all. after all its the law.

10. There is a danger of creating an apartheid of gay and gay-free areas.

1. Jock S. Trap 22 Mar 2012, 2:19pm

I dunno, in many people this is because of the way we are treated and feel safe in a certain enviroment. Fact is why shouldn’t there be a Gay quarter when there are so many places for straight people.
      People, usually bigots, often comment on why we want Gay places yet don’t stop to think that it because of them.

1. It’s a case of letting the right straight people in IMO. Back in the 90s when I hung around the Gloucester in Greenwich you used to see straight couples in there, just enjoying themselves with their gay friends without anybody caring either way. There’s a big difference between that and a horde of rat-arsed women out to party en masse.

But in terms of blanket segregation policies absolutely not. Straights are welcome in all of our places.

2. So what.

We already have gay free areas in Britain – civil marriage being the main one.

I have no problem with excluding straight people from our venues while we remain 2nd class citizens before the law.

1. Spanner1960 23 Mar 2012, 11:35am

Remember, bigotry can work in both directions.

11. I think they should focus on actually making it a safe space rather than assuming that recognition will do that for them.
    Just because it’s a ‘gay quarter’ doesn’t mean it’s safe for women or trans* folk.

12. Spanner1960 22 Mar 2012, 11:35pm

Hmm. Sorry, but i don’t go with this.
    Most LGBT people want to be treated equally and regarded the same as everyone else, yet they end up being segregated and ghettoised.

Having lived in a heavily predominantly Asian area of London, I find this sort of situation wrong, because it ultimately separates communities, and they become their own little cliques that refuse to integrate with everybody else whilst becoming increasingly intolerant of those around them that don’t understand or belong in that macro-society.

If LGBT people want to fit in, they have to look at the bigger picture and try to knock walls down, not build new ones.

1. Jock S. Trap 23 Mar 2012, 11:02am

Yet very often it is not us who do the segregating it’s usually forced on us so do you blame people for wanting a safe place to be?
      Besides that LGBT business do have a positive impact and have been known to rejuvenate an area so in fact this could be good for the local economy.

1. Jock S. Trap 23 Mar 2012, 11:03am

Should add that don’t get me wrong I see where your coming from and in part agree.

2. Spanner1960 23 Mar 2012, 11:33am

Is this really all about safety?
        If it is, Leeds council should look to their Police force, not at building safe little pockets.

13. What annoys me these days is they call the areas gay when in fact they are more staight than anything now.

Before QAF came out the gay areas in London and Manchester were for gay people and we felt safe being there, then as soon as QAF came out the places started becoming more straight and then anti discrumination laws made it that gay places had to accept straight people into them.

Whenever I goto canal street in manchester there are more straigt people that frequent the place than gay people and you feel less safe than you once used to be.
    There is more fights and violence now then there used to be and its mainly straights fighting each other or gay people being picked on by straights.

If there is a gay area to be designatated then it should be solely for gay people and straights should stick to their own places. There are plenty of places that straights can frequent than going to a gay bar and causing trouble.

To me, a gay bar should be for gay people only

14. Excellent idea – in life before having kids Wendy ( my wife) me and all our ‘alternative’ friends regularly ‘went down’ the lower Briggate end of town as there was a general acceptance of people being different . And of course the PUNK pound was just as valid as the Pink one . We always had a great time . If LCC go for it I am sure it will just make an already happy and peaceful scene that bit more confident . I am all for it !