Tony Blair avoids question on Liberian anti-gay law

1. President Sirleaf is to be commended on standing her ground in the face of an impertinent line of questioning. Surprised Blair was able to resist the temptation to meddle in another country’s affairs.

1. She is to be condemned for her lack of compassion and humanity.

1. auntie babs 21 Mar 2012, 12:42am

having lived in Liberia for a few years, I am so ashamed that this woman has any say in the running of a beautiful country.

2. Spanner1960 22 Mar 2012, 11:55pm

Which is why most African countries remain part of the third world.

2. It’s a pity that Tony Blair’s pragmatism so readily over-rules his principles. I miss ideological politics. I am glad the interviewer embarrassed the both of them. They are politicians and therefore accountable and open to scrutiny.

1. Tony is doing what he does best and thinking of the money.
      He’s not stupid enough to jeapardise that by telling the Liberians something they don’t want to hear.

The world will remember Tony Blair as a leech who sucked up as much money as he could while sticking two fingers up at everyone else

3. Sirleaf was awarded the Nobel Peace prize, what a sick joke. And did anyone expect B-Liar to actually display intestinal fortitude or a spine of some sort? He is styling himself as an elder statesman and it is pathetic.

4. he said: “One of the advantages of doing what I do now is I can choose the issues I get into and the issues I don’t. For us, the priorities are around power, roads, jobs delivery.”

The emphasis on power also he can@t make any money out of it what a w@nker

1. Well, he does want to make certain that the bigots enjoy good roads when they take the gays to prison.

5. Conspectus 20 Mar 2012, 6:38pm

Madam President gave a masterclass on how to be an unashamed homophobe. Blair gave his grinning performance and showed again his depth of sincerity, shallow as a five pence piece on its edge. Liberia another blot on the landscape of humanitarian effort. Madam homophobe said “We like ourselves just the way we are”. Right thinking people look at your recent history and are shocked at your lack of humanity.

6. Not a fence thin enough to push him off.

1. or a cliff high enough cos i’m sure the b’stard would bounce

7. Blair’s refusal to confront the homophobia of this stupid woman is cowardice of the highest order. Very disappointing. Her comment that her interest in preserving a traditional way of life justified keeping sodomy laws was equivalent to similar statements justififying racial segregation in Mississippi in the 1960s and Apartheidt in South Africa and Rhodesia in the 1970s.

8. Clearly Tony Blair sold his morals when he took this role (I accept his morals were in question in advance, but now they are non existant)

His failure to challenge homophobia is reprehensible.

9. ScottishPaul 20 Mar 2012, 10:06pm

Spineless twat!

10. Mumbo Jumbo 20 Mar 2012, 10:08pm

Looks like the US State Department are taking an interest and making threatening noises about aid:

And more here from the BBC detailing attacks on equality campaigners:

1. Rayne Van-Dunem 21 Mar 2012, 1:19am

I’ll play devil’s advocate (or something akin) by saying that withdrawing foreign aid or damning diplomacy is easy to do when you’re a legislator or activist. It, like reducing the defense budget or banning immigration, becomes harder when one is actually in a position of governance or is actually living among, listening to and conversating with the individuals targeted by such rhetoric.

An entire infrastructure of transnational public relations and crisis management depends upon diplomatic networks and foreign aid. Withdrawing influence or disembedding a permanent mission to another nation-state is usually a signal saying not only that that other state or government is less deserving of legitimacy, but that its people do not deserve to interact with or be party to one’s own people and society.

That not only applies to state-state relations, but also NGO outreach to civil populations.

It’s so *easy* to say, which is why I associate such rhetoric with nativists and ne’er-do-wells.

11. Treacherous lying b**stard! Why isn’t this traitor in jail? The word treason comes to mind…

1. Rayne Van-Dunem 21 Mar 2012, 12:59am

No, it doesn’t to me. I don’t think individuals in societies like the UK or US get sent to prison nowadays for a practical non-crime that was used in the past (and present in many other places) to bludgeon dissidents into submission.

Despite the fact that he went to Iraq on shoddy intelligence and with a headstrong and ill-founded foolhardiness, I don’t think that “treason” is even a legitimate crime. It’s like lese majeste in Thailand or blasphemy in Pakistan. Just a bludgeon that is better off abandoned.

12. Paddyswurds 20 Mar 2012, 10:20pm

@…
    ……What we must all remember is that Tony Blair is a religious bigot and liar, recently joined with the paedo church in Rome…….

13. auntie babs 21 Mar 2012, 12:44am

for shame on you Tony Blair.

14. Ignorant pig. That’s probably why African countries are so backward s

Those are Victorian laws from that miserable fat cow. She wanted everyone to be as miserable as her.

15. “We’ve got certain traditional values in our society that we would like to preserve.”

In this instance it’s a shame they didn’t stick to that ‘traditional value’ of keeping women out of power.

Funny how ‘traditions’ can be abandoned when power comes into the equation, isn’t it?

16. Jock S. Trap 21 Mar 2012, 10:46am

Clearly basic Human rights are an issue Tony Blair chooses not to deal with now.
    Sell out. He should be ashamed!!

17. He didn’t avoid the question, he washed his blood-soaked hands of it!

18. Tony Blair is both a practising catholic extremist and a war criminal.

As a practising catholic we can only assume that he share the horrific bigotry of Sirleaf.

Where is Peter Tatchell when you need him. I think doing a citizen’s arrest on Blair for his war crimes would be very welcome.

19. I am disappinted in Tony Blair.

20. Terry Eastham 21 Mar 2012, 2:26pm

Blair just comes across so badly in this interview, I don’t agree with the president of Liberia at all but can understand that this is how she feels (even though the reasons are wrong) but Blair just seems to want to avoid saying anything whilst giving that Cheshire Cat grin that makes him so difficult ot trust. Maybe now he is a Catholic he feels he has to toe the Papal line but that is really no excuse for him to be tacitly agreeing to this denial of basic human rights.

21. Liberia is a horrible place, I don’t expect anything from African nations (besides South Africa and MAYBE Egypt) and far as laws go.

It goes to show how much of a coward he is. Grow a spine, dude.

1. Having visited many nations in Africa in the last 4 years or so through work – I can honestly say that in terms of scenery and friendliness there are some great places in Africa – that includes Liberia.

However, although I have come across many tolerant, accepting and gay friendly people in Africa – certainly not all are and many of the regimes are horrific.

1. Well I would never visit a country where it’s illegal to be gay (even if it’s just the men, as I can’t support that).

I might consider visiting Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Egypt, Madagascar, Republic of the Congo, South Africa- but I look pretty obviously lesbian, I don’t think it’s very safe for me, I’d have to grow my hair out for years and buy a new wardrobe lol.

1. I wouldnt go out of choice, but sometimes work requires me to go overseas to places I would not choose to go. I have to admit I have enjoyed all but two of the trips – but I won’t be hurrying back (unless work send me back!) until they recognise human rights.
          That doesnt stop me recognising the aesthetic beauty of the countries and the genuine warmth of some of the people.

22. Tony Blair is an utterly disgusting human being.

Why should anyone be surprsied that he thinks LGBT human right are irrelevant.

This is after alll the man who took our country into an illegal war, in face of almost universal public opposition, which resulted in the needless murder of hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians.

He is scum. And he should be in jail for the rest of his miserable life.

23. Tony Blair became a Catholic after he stopped being the PM and now he is a tool of the Catholic Church propaganda machine to destroy any and every body the Catholic Church does not like. How much blood money does the Catholic Church pay him?

1. Robert in S. Kensington 21 Mar 2012, 5:12pm

Maybe, but he stuck his neck out and declared support for marriage equality, even though he should have countered this disgusting specimen of humanity in Liberia.

24. Blair is a Christian convert to Catholicism… What do you guys expect from someone who has personally kissed the pope’s ass , other than be a homophobe that is.
    Excuse me while I barf…

25. Spanner1960 22 Mar 2012, 11:52pm

Once a twat, always a twat.
    I’ve seen eels doused in olive oil less slippery than this scumbag.

26. Ignorance is bliss, Tony. Pathetic.