Tunisian gay magazine hacked

1. Olafur Skorrdal 15 Mar 2012, 12:38pm

I guess there might be a key-logger on some computer somewhere, where he’s been adding the new passwords. That’s the only conclusion I can reach.

1. Gayday magazine 15 Mar 2012, 12:51pm

I thought so too. Any ideas how we can bypass that? – Thanks!

1. if its key logger, I would enter password digits in unspecified order i.e. second digit first then last then in between insert other digits in any order, hackers will have all the digits of the password but wont know in which place each digit should be, alternatively you can install anti keylogger

1. Does a random order to the password digits really work to defeat a key logger ? Can someone tell me

2. With regards to your GMail hacks, it is possible that the hacker is keeping an open session (i.e. not logged out from your GMail account). As such i you change your password, the will still remain logged on.

So, you should close all active sessions. To do that, once you log in, go at the bottom of your e-mail list and you’ll see a ‘Last account activity’ along with a ‘details’ link. Click on Details, it will open up a window listing all activity. You can click on the close all other session buttons. Also, you’ll see the IP addresses of everyone who accessed your account.

After that, I would change the password again. Hopefully that will help.

3. Also, since you seem to be a target, I suggest you always log out of your GMail accounts. I’m not 100% sure about this, but I would not be surprised if a hacker could highjack an active open session, and hence not even need to know your password to access your GMail account.

2. Olafur Skorrdal 16 Mar 2012, 2:00am

Regarding the key logger; I would recommend a virus scan, with an updated virus definition file. Try Avast; it has never failed me – and it’s free.

Just sent Twitter, Gmail and Google a nudge. Hope more will do so too. Good luck! ;)

2. Gayday magazine 15 Mar 2012, 12:43pm

Thank you for bring this to public attention. It is always shocking what too much hate and ignorance can do. This homophobic attack is putting sensitive communications and people in danger. We’re asking twitter and gmail to enable us to have access but all efforts. Each day that goes by puts more risks to what these homophobes can do with the data they have in hands. We would appreciate your support by tweeting @twitter to give Gayday Magazine access back to its account! Many thanks..

3. Gayday magazine 15 Mar 2012, 12:52pm

4. “Recently Human Rights Minister Samir Dilou with the encouragement of popular TV celebrity host Samir Wafi have called for the magazine to be denied to the right of expression and stating that LGBT is a sickness not a human right” – thereby helping expose the so-called, and oxymoronic, ‘Arab Spring’ for exactly what it is.

5. Most likely this was done by ANONYMOUS hackers who are really Christians who wear Guy Fawkes mask, Guy Fawkes was a Catholic terrorist who tried to kill the king and put a Catholic on the throne. ANONYMOUS are really Christians pretending to be “for the people” but in fact they are only out for the Christian agenda. They fool some of the people but not all of the people. They are criminal Christians.

1. Hodge Podge 15 Mar 2012, 5:55pm

Are you trolling? Anonymous have affiliations to new atheism if anything (though modern anonymous is a lot more polite about this sort of thing then it used to be).

Plus the group is too chaotic to be an orchestrated conspiracy.

2. jamestoronto 15 Mar 2012, 8:11pm

Cite your source for this assertion. I mean a real source not something like a friend told you who overheard in a pub somewhere. Where/what is your proof?

1. I think satanists using catholicism is proberly nearer the truth ; they have more to gain from the persecution of gays ! Online persecution using key bloggers and such espionage is mafia .

3. GingerlyColors 17 Mar 2012, 6:46am

I don’t think ANONYMOUS would have had anything to do with this case of hacking. Last month they sabotaged the Westboro Baptist Church’s websites. ANONYMOUS are on our side.
      As for the Guy Fawkes masks, they were inspired by the film, V For Vendetta which was set in a future Britain, about 2040, where a dictatorial, moralistic government had not only recriminalized male homosexuality, but also criminalized Lesbianism which has never been illegal. The main female character in the film had been arrested for having a relationship with another woman and the man leading the resistance never showed his face, always nearing a Guy Fawkes mask. The film ends with him doing what the original Guy Fawkes failed to do.

6. Homophobia is a sickness. Homosexuality is not.

7. Hodge Podge 19 Mar 2012, 9:50am

Another blog Pretty Queer got hacked the other day, I wonder if it’s a pattern

8. Gmail? Hotmail? Twitter? Facebook?
    No no no. :(

You don’t use any of these for sensitive information.

If you want to keep your information private you use the services of a reliable ISP, that has proper protection for its servers, and use the server side email accounts they provide. If necessary, add to that an encryption key like PGP or other which are either freely or commercially available.

And as far as GLBT is concerned I would not use any Middle Eastern ISP at all, but one in a more gay-friendly country, like Germany, for example. And definitely a good anti-virus, malware, spyware, adware, etc scanner for your own computers.

Social networking has its uses and purposes but are definitely NOT for sensitive information!

9. Really sorry to hear about this.
    Is there anything people can do outside of Tunisia, short of sharing the story and raising awareness?
    I have never been to Tunisia so I have never experienced what kind of reaction I might get if I held my husband’s hand there or kissed him.
    Is it safe to be Gay? I would like to know more, then perhaps I might be in a better position to offer direct support.