Reports of emo youth and LGBT people ‘being massacred in Iraq’

1. Jeffrey Titcomb 9 Mar 2012, 2:05pm

If KONY 2012 can help in Uganda, what can be done similarly to assist the Emo LGBT community arund the globe and Iraq specifically?

1. Kony isn’t in Uganda!

2. Keith Farrell 9 Mar 2012, 2:08pm

i have no idea how we are going to get people to respect us unless all contries make discrimantion against their laws with very still punishments for hate crimes, either that or we are going to have to one day start going to war with the bigots

1. Murder is illegal in Iraq, as it is here.

3. This is what war does to nations! People are lost and animalistic!! It is not down to religion, this is nothing but national fragmentation. No jobs and deep poverty what does one expect. It isn’t only the LGBT community being targeted! Its most minorities!
    This is the aftermath of war a forever divided nation!

1. America and Britain left Iraq in ruins and inserted a deeply corrupt government. I just feel sorry for the citizens of Iraq.

1. I don’t agree with the war. But what’s happening in this story is more to do with islam than american or britain trying to get rid of a dictator. When islam looses power in the middle east, and is replaced with a belief system that has a tolerant view of difference and minorities, the world will be a better place. They may use bricks to kill us in iraq, but in iran they just hang us, and there has been no war there – yet. The treatment of the LGBT community in iraq, and the rest of the middle east has everything to do with their religion.

1. This just shows how little people know about Iraq, its history and culture pre-Saddam Hussain. Iraq legalised homosexuality even before Britain! This new Iraq I hear about IS NOT the Iraq I grew up in!! Extremism had no place in Iraq! But since 9/11 it has infected the whole world, as you know.

1. I agree this is a country gone mad with a religion approving murder. It’s a speciality of just about all religion approving the murder of anyone it deems unworthy of being alive.

2. You argued in your first comment that what is happening to these men and women in iraq has nothing to do with religion. That’s not true, that’s my only point. These people are being attacked because of islamic beliefs, not because of poverty and unemployment. Poverty and unemployment doesn’t create homophobia.

3. Keith Farrell 9 Mar 2012, 3:17pm

As I said else where, if they want to murder us gay people, why dont we take their action back to them, I grew up in South Africa, and now live in the UK, but if even this country had to turn agains us because of us being gay, I would be quite happy to attack them and I would target the extremests first. If I am going to die, I will take as many of them with me as possible. I am not a gun happy or violent person, I just want to be left alone to live my life with the man I love in peace and safety. I think most of us are like that. those of us who grew up in countries where fire arms were used, we can make each bullet count. If I have 100 rounds Im going to take at least 70 with me. so it the same in these countries, guys take up arms and defend yourselves, forget about the few bleeding hearts who say this is wrong, but start by taking out those who preach that it is right to kill innocent people just because of who they love. I am sure I am going to get some flack for saying this.

4. I have to agree Keith that if your life is in danger then I see nothing wrong in defending my life. It just depends on how I would go about it. It may be satisfying short term to “take out” a few of my aggressors, however I still feel I would have to do it in defence, because otherwise my fate would most definitely be sealed. But as you say, if my life was in immediate threat, then yeah, give it to them. I hope that there is a way for those unfortunate enough to live in such a climate can rally against those who threaten their lives and liberties.

2. Spanner1960 11 Mar 2012, 8:24am

Like Saddam was any better. Depose any dictator and you will leave a vacuum. It happens time and again. I suspect Libya could turn this way too.

3. No, this is Islamic culture which is to blame for this. We did not create a hate filled homophobic belief system.

4. No surprise there then..what did we expect from such a country?

5. The islamic world has been broadcasting loud and clear that they reject the very concept of universal human rights. Why are you all refusing to listen? How many of you have even bothered to read The Cairo Declaration on Human Rights under Islam??

1. I bothered to read the crap. It starts by saying that the Ummah is so much better than the “confused” rest of the world. Brilliant. Can you also send a link to the 1930’s German declaration of Human Rights please?

6. Violence towards minorities and ‘different’ people will only end when all religion is outlawed. The people who should die are the clerics and their fanatical followers.

1. “Violence towards minorities and ‘different’ people will only end when all religion is outlawed. The people who should die are the clerics and their fanatical followers.”

So you want minorities to be killed in order to protect other minorities? How about we kill gays to eradicate homophobia. That’s your logic reversed.

7. “These Shiites fundamentalists interpret all differences as haram and satanic. Exterminating people associated (…) guarantees a place in heaven.”

Iraq is turning into a Shiite theocracy then.

The notion that murdering people will assure the killers of a place in heaven is the most revolting of all religious teachings.

It is vital that emo’s and LGBT organize and defend themselves.

Gay Middle East is facing tremendous challenges.. and I feel so helpless.

8. Robin Evans 9 Mar 2012, 9:56pm

It disgusts me – religion of every kind disgusts me…

1. Dr Robin Guthrie 10 Mar 2012, 2:29am

Yep.

The bishops and cardinals whining clearly blatant lies to whip up their “flocks”
      demanding that their religous bollocks becomes civil law.

I live, metaphorically speaking, in some sort of halfway house whereby my civil partner was brought up catholic and despite the bile spewed by that cult still holds it in some sort of regard.

Such is the depth of the indoctrination from childhood.

I was lucky growing up in Scotland in the 70’s in a technicaly but not adherent protestant family.

I was sent off to Sunday School and all that, but to me it just did not make any sense.

I think I have the original 60’s Star Trek to blame for that as it removed the closed minded “Humanity is all important” attitude so pervasive at that time.

Now, as a creaky middle aged man of Science, when confronted by some god botherer I refer them to the following.

Carl Sagan’s “Pale Blue Dot”.

1. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 11 Mar 2012, 3:02pm

Hey, thanks Doc for the link to Sagan’s Pale Blue Dot. With everything that goes on in my life… I’d forgotten all about Sagan’s Pale Blue Dot:

“Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of the dot on scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner of the dot. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity — in all this vastness — there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. It is up to us.” Total bliss.

2. Michael Sherbrooke 12 Mar 2012, 6:58pm

It’s not exactly the religion itself that you should be disgusted by. Rather the extremists and bigots who use and twist their religion to fit their own agenda. After all there are religions out there that practice and teach tolerance, respect, and equality. For instance Paganism; Also the oldest religion in the world. Has, at least to my knowledge, always been an “All people are equal” kind of religion. Paganism is almost by definition a peace religion. It’s just sad though that a vast majority of all these other religions seem themed in control; or are continuously twisted by their followers.

9. Dangermouse 10 Mar 2012, 9:03am

COME BACK SADDAM ALL IS FORGIVEN !

10. I am an atheist as were my parents but I don’t believe that attacking religion in this way will resolve anything. I feel very angry (and frightened at times) that these things are happening around the world but I think things will only change with understanding on both sides. waging war just makes people more entrenched in their beliefs and pushes people to extremes to defend themselves which is what i think is happening right now.

11. I’m surprised no one’s tried to blame Israel for this yet.

1. It’s Israel’s fault.

12. Why is this vile “LGBT cleansing” not being reported in the main news channels? …BBC?

If there has a mass killing of pet dogs I’m sure it would get more airtime. Gays get treated as lower than animals in many countries and it needs to stop.

There are 7 billion people on the planet and has been growing despite some being gay. We are no threat at all to the progress of the human race. On the contrary I’d say we’re very much a benefit, making life happier and prettier!

13. In my opinion, until all religion that vindicates murder/abuse shoul dbe wiped from the face of the earth.

14. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 11 Mar 2012, 3:45pm

Don’t you just love peaceful religious chimps! I know Iraq is the latest holy war, but maybe Bliar and Bush forgot the gideon bibbles when they invaded!

Pretty much tells you all you need to know about what it is to be muslim – in its rawest sense, that is to say untainted by a modern secular society. I mean, to kill a child because of how that child wants to dress shows these religion adherents to be pathologically devoid of humanity. And vampires?! What a grotesque caricature? Retards!

Hand on heart, religion has no place in a modern, dynamic society where everyone is welcome and respected.