Reform Judaism backs gay marriage

1. DJ Sheepiesheep 7 Mar 2012, 10:28am

Since Judaism pre dates Christianity, and since both Liberal and now Reform Judaism support marriage equality, why can’t the Anglican and Catholic churches do likewise? It’s not as if the church invented marriage.

1. A fact they conveniently overlook, because they like to think they DID invent it.

2. Because Christianity has always chosen to pick up the most convenient parts of the original Hebrew book of Leviticus and discard of others that have no interest for it. Picking up the “gays must be killed” is still very convenient.

2. The Christian Institute seems pleased that The Guardian’s Michael White is on their side -

1. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Mar 2012, 12:02pm

The religious bigots at one time opposed the right of women to vote using similar language. I also remember seeing signs years ago ‘NO IRISH” need apply in the delivery of goods and services, Not one word of condemnation from religious leaders when we were a far more racist society than we are today.

Nobody is redefining marriage, it’s merely being expanded to include gay people. It’s not gong to change hetero marriage and it’s not going to prevent them from marrying either. Julie Bindel is part of the problem, our own people working against us. Just because feminists like her don’t believe in the patriarchal institution of marriage, shouldn’t mean that she can’t support those of us who want that right to a civil marriage which I don’t think is patriarchal at all, unless it’s a religious ceremony. These people just don’t get it do they? Ignorance is bliss for some.

1. Same sex campaigners always try to pick on women’s rights and ethnic minority right’s and use them to fight gay rights. These are not the same, religion conducts homosexuality is a sin, being a women is not a sin nor is being black! We should all be treated as equal, however that does not mean homosexual marriage should be allowable in religious buildings!

Therefore call me a bigot. But at least I am not a narcissist! Sin is a act of badness, and it will defile society.

I doubt traditional Judaism will ever support gay marriage.

3. Great to see liberal Jews confirming their support for equal marriage, fairness and human rights.

4. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Mar 2012, 11:53am

Thank you, Reformed Judaism. I hope they start their own campaign with the Unitarians and Quakers to counter the bigotry in the main stream denominations, proving that no denomination owns civil marriage. That would send them into a hissy fit.

1. @Robert

I agree.

I think there are elements of the campaign for equal marriage that should come directly from liberal Jews and Christians – they can pursue it best from their own particular angle.

There are other aspects of campaigning they could ally with others seeking equal marriage and provide their unhesitant support.

There may be other aspects, which whilst legitimate they feel uncomfortable in associating with. Those should be undertaken by those individuals and organisations that are able to do so.

This is a great stance the liberal Jews have taken. I hope they engage much more directly and publically in condemning the illegitimate stances of the RC leaders and fundamentalist Christians.

5. I really wish that PinkNews would stop using the inaccurate and inflammatory term “gay marriage”. It fuels the mistaken impression that we are fighting for a new institution or to redefine an ancient institution rather than joining and enhancing an existing institution. The term “marriage equality” is much more accurate and proper.

1. Agree completely. The use of “gay marriage” is to generate a pavlovian response, and generate clicks for advertising revenue.

1. I also agree, I find it annoying enough in non-gay news media, but doubly so here.

6. Craig Denney 7 Mar 2012, 12:12pm

Bogus names discovered on petition that attacked gay marriage

And now we have names that should not be on the ‘Coalition for Marriage’ petition and 10,000 signatures in one day and yet only 300 hit’s in that same day!

Dose anyone smell a rat?

If you look at the ‘Coalition for Marriage’ petition you wont see very many other religions, it all Christians and now people who did not want to sign the petition.

1. The reason that they can add so many signatures is because they are manually adding paper submissions, all is explained here http://c4m.org.uk/resources/

1. Craig Denney 7 Mar 2012, 4:44pm

You still have to go to the site to download the PDF and that would still be a hit and how many people would it take to go through 10,000 signatures in a day, it would take an army of people.

The numbers don’t add up.

2. How do you explain the names of people who did not sign the petition being on the petition Simone?

3. There have been a number of days revealed on the petition where the person whose name has been used did not sign it …. care to explain, Simone?

2. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Mar 2012, 1:43pm

Why isn’t this reaching main stream media I wonder? I suspected from the outset that this petition would be fraught with deceit and false signatures. As I’ve said over and over on other posts, internet providers allow up to several accounts per user. There’s nothing to stop our foes from using all their accounts and substituting their real name for another several times. We must bring this to the attention of our MPs and supporters in the media.

1. Craig Denney 7 Mar 2012, 4:52pm

Robert,
        I think the media is starting to look at this and we still have some way to go anyway.

I have found in the passed that if you want to get into the news you have to repeat more or less the same message over and over again to the point where it becomes tiresome and eventually you mite get lucky.

7. I’m so pleased and proud that the Reform Movement has come out in support of gay marriage; it shows the very best of progressive Jewish thinking, reflecting how many modern British Jews feel about Torah and Talmud.

8. This contributes to the picture that there is no overall consensus amongst religious folk either against or for marriage equality, there is a divergence of opinion. However polls of them show a majority in favour of equality.

Since we are talking of civil marriage, their views should all be irrelevant. However, in the interests of religious liberty, those that want to celebrate gay marriages should not be barred from doing so, and those that don’t want to, shouldn’t be obliged to. But no one has ever proposed that any body with religious objections should be forced to carry them out.

9. Q: How would you feel if your son were gay, Mrs Rosenberg?
    A: What the hell would I care as long as he married a dentist?
    (my favourite New York Jewish story!)
    Good for Reform Judaism. I have even met Orthodox now who affirm gays and lesbians – I think Judaism is moving fast.

10. Shalom. It’s only the conservative Christians and Moslems left to oppose what is an unstoppable force for good.

1. Also the conservative Jews… The thing in common here isn’t religion it’s conservatism

11. de Villiers 7 Mar 2012, 2:26pm

I think it likely that the antagonism shown by gay persons towards religion is likely to ebb as religions themselves pose less of a threat to gay life and rights.

12. Nice.

But who cares.

Religion’s opinion on civil marriage equality is neither necessary nor welcome.

Just because tiny cults like unitarians or quakers or liberal judaism or reform judaism are willing to perform same sex marriages does not alter the fact that the major cults in Britain – the cult of England, the catholic cult and islam will point blank refuse to follow suit and will remain as bigotted as they always were.

So while I welcome the announcement by the reform jews, I would also be suspicious.

Religious cults should have ZERO influence in determining civil marriage equality, and we must inform ALL the religious cults to keep their bigotted noses out of our secular democracy – and sadly that must include the more reaonable cults like the reform jews and the quakers.

1. David Waite 7 Mar 2012, 6:03pm

Not nice.

Not that we really care or are surprised, dAVID.

Your opinion on religion is neither necessary nor welcome.

Just because many of us GLBT humans are reasonable and don’t return discourtesy for discourtesy, it does not alter the fact that some gay individuals are discourteous and attempt to stir up controversy with flamingly bad manners. Some of us will remain damaged by our brutalizing upbringing despite all the recent progress.

So while I welcome your conditional acceptance of this announcement, I am also suspicious that the ‘accepting’ part of your comment is phony, and only designed to keep fro being permanently banned for insulting every user who has a religious belief system.

Anti-religious bigots have ZERO influence in persuading more civil non-religious people about the rightness of their point of view. We who believe in treating our opposers as fellow human beings need to call out bigots who shelter among us. Sadly, that includes you.

13. I knew my people would do the right thing.
    Shalom

1. I was in tears when I finished reading these displays of true faith. I am sorry that your people has contributed to the mankind with the unspeakable evils that are Leviticus 18:22 and Leviticus 20:13, Tom. I have nothing but respect and admiration for the Jewish people and it warms my heart to see that your people is finally coming to senses with the stupidity that is following blindly old immoral patriarchal impositions that have no place and no right to exist anymore in our modern world.

Shalom Tom