Catholics will be told of their ‘duty to oppose gay marriage’ at Mass this weekend

1. JamesARyan 6 Mar 2012, 10:15am

I might go to church this weekend and set up my soap box outside.

1. Mumbo Jumbo 6 Mar 2012, 10:47am

Perhaps you could deliver a “sermon” on how it is against the rules to claim charitable status whilst conducting political campaigns.

2. September Meadows 6 Mar 2012, 2:13pm

Perhaps you could get a few dozen gay and lesbian couples and stage a kiss-in.

3. Sister Mary Clarence 6 Mar 2012, 4:11pm

Certainly very tempting

4. The Catholics have said they are at war with LGBT people and this makes it very clear that they are at war with LGBT people. Don’t let them push you around and stand up to them and fight them with everything you’ve got. We all deserve freedom the same as they do, don’t let them make gays a second class slaves to them. Fight for our freedoms now while we can win, fight to the death, we may never have this chance again and some day the future LGBT people will remember you for what you did to help fight for all of our freedoms.

2. Craig Denney 6 Mar 2012, 10:16am

Something fishy is going on with the ‘Coalition For Marriage’ website!

In two weeks the site has clocked up, over 100,000 signatories and yet the site only gets 300 hits per day???

1. Well it might be interesting if those who are encouraged to sign the petition sign it and it then surfaces they have already been signed up to it would it not?

2. Wade MacMorrighan 6 Mar 2012, 10:24am

Say, is there anyway to discern whether or not the National Org. for Marriage in the US is intrinsically related to your Coalition for Marriage? They use almost identical talking points!

1. The Christian Legal Centre fronted by Andrea Minichiello Williams has close ties with the US Alliance Defense Fund which actually trains up all the CLC lawyers, Ms Williams is also front person for Christian Concern and a lay member on the Anglican Synod, she works closely with the Christian Institute and she is very much part of the driving force behind Coalition for Marriage.

3. Doesn’t surprise me Craig, they made up everything else faking signatures is nothing to pretending their deity exists

1. A check should and will be done on the IP addresses.

1. Craig Denney 6 Mar 2012, 7:01pm

A check like this: http://tinyurl.com/83m4hft or is there a better check?

1. So they have had 303 visitors today and yet thousands of signatures added … odd, one might say dubious!

4. Probably due to the fact there are numerous people who filled out paper forms and sent them in. Thus nothing fishy at all.

1. Craig Denney 6 Mar 2012, 11:09am

Nothing fishy?
        What about this news story: http://tinyurl.com/8y4lapt

2. People are reporting finding their names and details on there when they have not signed. It’s a bloody lie perpetrated by the fundamentally dishonest and when it gets proven (again) it will be disregarded.

1. My signature is on there and I am in a Civil Partnership.

For the record, I have not signed the petition, do not want to sign the petition, do not support the petition and have signed the Campaign for Equal Marriage’s Petition.

I am sure I am not the only person whose details have been falsely added (whether by organisers or others I do not know).

I have emailed the petition organisers but they have not even had the courtesy to respond, let alone remove my name for the petition. Seems they are happy to have numbers (even if the inclusion of a signature or signatures is a lie).

1. Craig Denney 6 Mar 2012, 12:03pm

Who do we contact in the Police?

2. You need to report them to the police.

Seriously.

Identity theft is a crime.

3. Keith Farrell 6 Mar 2012, 12:21pm

I think if I found my name on a website like that, I would open a case of fraud with the police, I too am in a civil partnership

4. Anyone know who to call? I just rang the police and they told me that whilst it was dishonest and arguably immoral as no financial or property gain was being made it was a civil matter.
            They said they sympathised but no criminal law had been broken that they could see.

5. I’d suggest making a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office. This is likely to constitute a breach of the Data Protection Act, particularly failing to remove your personal data when requested. You can raise a complaint with the ICO using the following url. http://www.ico.gov.uk/complaints/data_protection.aspx
            I suppose it’s too much to hope that the ICO would use its powers to fine them up to £500k, but it’s a nice thought.

6. Craig Denney 6 Mar 2012, 4:13pm

I,ve emailed Kezia Dugdale MSP the following:

Something fishy is going on with the ‘Coalition For Marriage’ petition down here in England and the same thing is happening in Scotland.

Has the Police in Scotland been looking into it and what grounds do they have to investigate the fraudulent petition?

7. Thanks. I shall make contact with the Information Commissioner and see how this develops.

8. To the folks above this, since I cannot answer directly, well done and keep going.

3. I think there is something fishy. I saw the low hit number as well right at the start. From starting point, the number rose to 30000 in just very few days. I didn’t believe it. If they are adding valid written submissions then we are completely underestimating the size of the opposition. But I think this is fishy. There are too many links of CI with Alliance Defnse Fund and other US right wing fundamentalist groups. I don’t trust this number. This is not a grass roots coalition – that much is a lie. Please people – keep digging. Something is not right. Very few petitions get this high a response in such a short space of time.

1. Craig Denney 6 Mar 2012, 11:55am

Paul,
          They cannot falsify website hits, it cannot be done!
          If you look at this graph you can see the hits have peaked : http://tinyurl.com/7ag9wss and are falling.

And yet their signatories are still rocketing up?

1. Spanner1960 6 Mar 2012, 2:58pm

That is so not true. IPs can be spoofed and data synthetically generated. How do you think Denial of Service attacks work? Using Spambots on unknowing peoples computers. It really doesn’t need a software genius to bombard an automatic site.

2. @Spanner

BUt the spambots would create a hit on the IP wouldnt they and make it appear that the number of hits was correlative with the number of signatures? They havent even had the intelligence to cheat smartly!

3. Craig Denney 7 Mar 2012, 12:02am

Exactly Stu,
            All of the directed traffic has been sent to their website, so how can it have 10,000 signatories today if the website only gets 300 unique visitors per day?

The numbers don’t add up!

4. So quickly? How did they get so many paper submissions within days?

1. Craig Denney 6 Mar 2012, 12:02pm

Proof that names are being manually added to the list!

5. Craig Denney 6 Mar 2012, 11:42am

I’ve looked at the numbers of people signing the petition and it looks like it’s not automated, if it was automated then the numbers joining would be all over the place. It looks as if someone is manually adding the names to the list, probably random names from the phone book. It’s also quite possible they’ve purchased mailing lists and are using those names to bolster their numbers.

1. Look at the names. WTF? A strange bunch. All from an older generation type of names. What is going on? How are they getting these signatures?

6. I’ve done some googling on the names. It’s my belief that the list is paddwd out with all the names from similar Scottish petition. That was a lot. I don’t believe this list has credibility. Certainly not 100k.

7. Robert in S. Kensington 6 Mar 2012, 12:40pm

As I said on a previous post, the petition is fraudulent. Don’t forget, most internet providers allow up to several accounts which means that a single person could use each and every account using a different name and post code to sign the petition. It’s easy to do.

8. This is something we need answers to Craig. And I wonder how many of those are folks who are just monitoring it!

3. Told of their duty indeed?

Are they not permitted to think for themselves instead of being dictated to by some biggot.

1. Of course not. Encouraging people to think for themselves is rarely a hallmark of religion.

1. Miguel Sanchez 6 Mar 2012, 2:08pm

God gave me free will and I fully intend on using it to think for myself.

The church has totally crossed the line.

2. Dennis Battler 6 Mar 2012, 4:02pm

Actually, no they are not permitted to think for themselves nor do they want ot – its why they’re putting their backsides in those seats. To be told what to do. Thinking people do not attend these barbarian superstitious rites. They sit there in hope of their display of goodness being sufficient to redeem them from their hopeless self – so they’ve been told.

3. Roman Catholics are discouraged from thinking for themselves. In fact, they are discouraged from reading the bible without a priest to interpret for them.
      It is their duty to do exactly as the Pope says. That is why so many are leaving – because they are capable of thinking and feeling for themselves. It’s why the ranks of the clergy are rapidly aging.
      Roman Catholics are free to oppose gay marriage in their ranks. What they aren’t free to do is impose that limitation on non-Roman Catholics, something the pope does not understand.

4. Wade MacMorrighan 6 Mar 2012, 10:18am

Looks like NOM and Maggie Gallagher is working over-time in the UK these days…

5. This makes me so angry on so many levels, I don’t even know where to begin.

6. Wade MacMorrighan 6 Mar 2012, 10:20am

Seriously, it makes sense as I have heard that even our Republican Party has been trying to manipulate your Tory Party and affect your country by banning many social services that Americans are calling for by Right (i.e.. healthcare)!

1. Our Tories are now to the Left of your Democrats. That’s how far to the right US politics has turned.

7. ““A change in the law would gradually and inevitably transform society’s understanding of the purpose of marriage. It would reduce it just to the commitment of the two people involved. There would be no recognition of the complementarity of male and female or that marriage is intended for the procreation and education of children.”

What? How does 2 people of same sex confirming their love in a public way do that? Will straight people suddenly forget how sex works and be unable to conceive children?

Also, if they wish to ensure we can’t marry, even just in civil ceremonies, for fear of diluting the purpose of marriage from being to conceive then why are they not demanding that civil marriage be done away with. Everyday people who are infertile, celibate or hell just don’t like children are married to eachother without a peep. Why are the Church not demanding that marriage fall solely within their remit so that can make sure to “preserve” it’s purpose?

1. Keith Farrell 6 Mar 2012, 12:24pm

I like what you said, what grates me is the Cathlic church refering to us as not worthy of human rights and “grotesque”, I think priest who are child molsters are “grotesque” and they are protected by the church and this “grotesque”fool

2. Then I guess that no women over 50 should be allowed to marry.

8. Dangermouse 6 Mar 2012, 10:26am

they are just grasping at straws, because they know they have already lost and the more extreme they get the better for our side.

9. “The roots of the institution of marriage lie in our nature”. And this nature for many of us is loving someone of the same sex.

When the church is free from sin and wrong doing itself, only then should they be preaching about what is right.

Marraige equality is the right thing to do.

1. When the Archbishops and Cardinals and fundamentalist organisations such as the CI and C4M can evidence any sense of humanity and honesty, thats when they might earn the ability to comment and judge on others (although doing so based in fact, honesty and fairness would engender more respect – somehow facts do not seem to be a strong point of them though!)

10. I think its time to start burning Catholics again!!! I’ve had enough of this homophobic drivel from these bigots. Maybe they should put more effort into fixing the the infestation of paedophiles and child abusers that seek sanctuary amongst the choirboys and helping the victims of their inaction. Also what about the spread of HIV in Africa? People are still dying as a result of prehistoric policy. As far as I can see this organisation has no moral ground to preach to people from. I am a better person than these cronies, I have more love and compassion for others being gay and an atheist, I recently visited a RC cathedral in Amiens, it is no longer a place of worship, its a tourist attraction – this is the way the RC church is heading and I think it has less than 100 years left! Awesome!

1. catholics as a whole are actually more in favour of LGBT equality than non-catholics.

It is the cult clergy and hierarchy who are the monstrous bigots and child rapists.

1. Totally. Most Catholics are very reasonable when it comes to being fair and have a sense of proportion about things.

Much of their clergy are horrific and evil. Those that are not are blind to the wrong of the others or choose not to speak out, which makes them just as bad.

1. The laity it seems are also blind. How many of them are going to protest when this is read?

1. For so long as religion exists it won’t matter how utterly outrageous some of that religion’s statements are, people will still make a lifestyle choice to follow that same religion. Especially when they themselves aren’t affected, but sadly, also some who will be.

2. they protest by no longer attending church, which is the majority

2. Mark (the other one) 6 Mar 2012, 5:26pm

Wow, for once I can actually agree with you!

It’s good to see that people realise that it’s only really the people in the higher up spots (who are in a very small minority) who are against LGBT rights.

The more people realise this the more proper Christians would be able to do something about it.

3. Wow dAVID, standing up for catholics, this is a new one and your right it is only the miserable old farts at the top who tend to be hateful bigots.

2. Mumbo Jumbo 6 Mar 2012, 1:42pm

Many of them would love to be spit roasted.

11. Oh and the b[ictureo f the Archbishop of Westminster looks like a kiddy fiddler too!

12. Friend of Dorothy 6 Mar 2012, 10:36am

Oh no. With every heavily attended Catholic church preaching this, as many as ten people could be added to the register of gay haters this week.

1. That was a thing of beauty. I salute you!

1. Friend of Dorothy 6 Mar 2012, 2:19pm

From you, compliment indeed, Sir. x

2. September Meadows 6 Mar 2012, 2:18pm

BAHAHAHA!!! :D

13. Cambodian Guesthouse 6 Mar 2012, 10:39am

The dying cry from a dying breed!

1. Indeed. And the dying beast thrashes the hardest. Pity that so many of us have to be hurt by this crumbling anachronism of lies and fictions.

14. We need to make a request for official figures to be published to study the religious inclinations of any violent homophobes following this hate preaching.

15. may go to church this sunday

16. So I’m guessing the superstitious kiddy fiddlers have abandoned xtian morals of ‘love thy neighbour’ and ‘turn the other cheek’ – I suppose all earthy bigots lash out when corned by truth, reason and evolution!

17. ‘Catholics will be told’ because like all sheep they are so mindless and so easily led – how utterly pathetic.

18. Seán McGouran 6 Mar 2012, 10:46am

The traditional Catholic attitude to ‘marriage’ is that it is a civil contract. There is a sacrament called ‘matrimony’ which is quite different. Why are Catholic priests, who presumably know this, pushing this essentially (conservative / reactionary) political line?

1. Singapore Sam 6 Mar 2012, 11:59am

Because they are sworn to obedience to the pope, I believe. It is not a democrratic institution.

19. And a great many catholics will do what they always do – abso-freaking-lutely nothing at all. They keep telling us that they don’t agree with a lot of what the RCC hierarchy does, and that really they are a loving and embracing religion, while displaying the spine and intestinal fortitude of a doormat.

1. Indeed. As much as opinion polls make claims about ordinary Catholics opposition, so long as they remain members the church can still claim they are speaking on their behalf.

20. Control control …

YOU will OBEY do not think for yourself…do not reason…

It says it all!

21. They are inciting hatred towards people just for being themselves ..it didn’t work for Hitler . Makes my blood boil . Many straight people step into a church for the first time ever on their wedding day . ” marriage is intended for the procreation and education of children” what a load of twaddle . Not all couples want children .are they less important ? I always thought the purpose of marriage was to show your love ,devotion and commitment to the most important person in your life .

1. Indeed. And it is an argument that is so easy to debunk – Is marriage denied to the elderly and to couples who are infertile? Is proof of fertility required for marriage? Are marriages annulled if they do not produce offspring.? As the answer to all those questions is No, the argument collapses (plus, it disregards what we all know – we are intact, we don’t hand our reproductive organs in when we leave the closet and many LGBT people can and do have families).

22. bearshaped 6 Mar 2012, 10:48am

What a foul conglomeration of vagina!

1. Hey now, you can’t blame the vaginas. Especially as the RCC is a total sausage fest.

23. When you have lost the argument .. you have tried reason (even though your argument is not reasonable) … when your traditional support is dwindling … when even the political animals that did support you are opposing you … when vurtually the entire media recognises the emptiness, inhumanity and invalidity of your argument … when you and your very few remaining allies are being exposed for telling lies and using subertive means to promote your dodgy message … when all else fails … What do you do?

Indoctrinate, demonise some more, urge guilt trips, threaten, cajole and engage in more deception, thats what you do …

Well done Archbishops for showing how utterly reprehensible you are!

1. Spanner1960 6 Mar 2012, 2:58pm

Or call Ghostbusters.

2. Samuel B. 6 Mar 2012, 8:42pm

Doesn’t your true love Zack get a say in all of this, or does he only get to do the washing up?

I think we should be told!

1. I think its none of your business

1. Or is it a Ménage à trois you are currently engaged in, with Marcus, or Charles, or, um, both?!

I find it hard to keep up these days. Maybe I need to go lie down.

Oh my head…

2. Samuel B. 7 Mar 2012, 1:07am

And Patrick! How could I forget Patrick?!

24. Matthew de Unger Brown 6 Mar 2012, 11:02am

If this is read at the service I always attend I will have no hesitation in standing up and walking straight out of the Church.

1. Dennis Battler 6 Mar 2012, 4:04pm

be sure to take your friends with you when you walk out

2. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 6 Mar 2012, 7:21pm

Yes, by all means walk out, but have a speech prepared – no more than 50 choice words. Have the courage of conviction like Yeshua did at the temple (or whatever). Make a small protest to your priest that they are wrong about this issue (and perhaps about gay people in general). You won’t be thanked but the world aint gonna crumble cos you don’t return to that particular church, and there are other churches…

3. casparthegood 12 Mar 2012, 8:51pm

remember not to leave a donation

25. Alastair J, Mainland 6 Mar 2012, 11:10am

I feel dismayed and sad that some people will actually listen to these priests and (through fear) see themselves as doing some sort of good. I’m afraid it proves such vulnerable people are no more than slaves themselves. I’m proud to say I have many Catholic friends and was taught not to stigmatise them and view as much as possible, all people as human beings. I pity people in this scenario as many are trapped.
    I’m sure Her Majesty the Queen’s visit to Culloden, was to subtly remind us of the menace powerful leading clerics can muster and how dreadful their outcomes can be. To be ignored at all costs, the wonderful mothers of Ireland
    have told the church where to go and have begun using their own kind instincts to see off these monsters, here’s hoping all in the UK will gather strength from one another and follow suit .

1. Singapore Sam 6 Mar 2012, 12:02pm

It’s like a return to the old days, when the pulpit was the prime means of disseminating propaganda.

26. Arnaud Sachsen 6 Mar 2012, 11:23am

I am heterosexual and an Atheist. That the RC curch labels (same sex) marriage as grotesque is amusing.

The RC church celebrated Hitlers birthdays and survival of assassination attempts. Hitler slaughtered Jews, homosexuals, seventh day adventists, mormons, free mason’s, the handicapped, gypsies and political opponents. And the RC church celebrated his life?

The RC church opposes barrier contraception and birth control leading to unsustainable populations in the poorest nations on earth and the spread of HIV and other STD’s wwhere diagnosis and treatment are least likely.

The RC church covered up paedophilia on an international scale protecting the abusers.

The RC church is a sexist misogynistic church today as much as in its past.

I could go on but my blood pressure is going off the scale.

Rather Steve Fry babysits my sons than a Catholic Priest as Christopher Hiutchens (RIP) recently said !!!

27. The noise is horrible and unpleasant from these dinosaurs, but what we know is that their bigotry is dying away and that society as a whole is becoming more equal.

28. Jen Marcus 6 Mar 2012, 11:40am

What happened to the RC Church’s Doctrine of Primacy of Conscience. The hierarchy could also be called on their failure to follow the tenants and documents of Vatican II which is tantamount to heresy.SO, They can kiss my “Royal Canadian Butt!”

1. you are to old for the church of pedophiles to want to kiss your butt, royal or not.

29. Another lunatic, what do we need to do to stop them from lying and telling fairy tales??
    If God exists he´s laughing his ass off…

30. Here we see the true face of the church. It’s about control over people’s lives – even those who don’t believe the brand of fairy tales and lies this church is selling. I don’t like Catholicism. But I don’t want it banned. I’m happy for the people who do want to practise some bead jiggling and spell casting to get on with it as long as I’m not forced to participate. It’s a pity these people don’t have the good grace and manners to do the same for me.

31. Protest time.

Google where your local catholic cult building is located, find out the time of of the mess/mass and attend the cult service.

When the priest / suspected child-rapist starts spewing his bigotted bile, stand up, shout ‘monstrous bigot’ at him and walk out.

The catholic cult claims to be open to everyone.

Time to give those child-raping monsters some feedback.

1. Absolutely its protest time!

We need to be clever about this though and co-ordinate and work together, not just a piecemeal approach.

I like the thoughts of what you suggest, dAVID – anyone skilled in co-ordinating?

1. Spanner1960 6 Mar 2012, 3:03pm

Well don’t ask anyone gay. They can’t even organise a party in a park without running out of money and totally cocking it up.

2. DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

32. I think a few banners are required.

The Church was Against Women getting the Vote.

The Church was against interracial marriage.

Which side of History do you want be on?

33. Will they be reading out the letter at mass at the RC Church of Our Lady and St Gregory in Soho which is celebrated for the benefit of gays.

They certainly don’t need to go very far to find a gay RC priest to celebrate the mass, any priest will do as they’re all closet cases.

1. I think a camera crew should go the the Our Lady and St Gregory church on Sunday’s mass and see what the reaction is ….

1. Or in the confessional to see what goes on there too!

34. “…two senior Archbishops in the Catholic Church…”

Two evil queens more like.

35. I totally SUPPORT the Catholic church!

Marriage’s primary purpose is for procreation, so all unions by any couples incapable of procreation should be dissolved immediately. It is obvious that love between the spouses should not be considered when defining a socially valid marriage.

As such, the respective marriages of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles should be dissolved because Elizabeth and Camilla have reached menopause. If they cannot procreate, any frivolous sex solely for the purpose of pure pleasure is a perversion, eventually causing social decay, especially when such perversion is blatantly expressed by national leaders. I recommend Parliament pass strict laws to punish anyone remaining married and infertile.

By extension, it should be legal to marry a fertile 12 year old boy or girl, regardless of spouse’s age, as long as the couple can bear children. This should bring great happiness to the many disheartened molesters out there. Well done, Catholic church!

1. I was getting ready to shout at you, until I realised this was carefully crafted snark. Bravo.

1. Friend of Dorothy 6 Mar 2012, 2:27pm

Indeed. Why all the minuses for this superb piece of satire?

1. I suspect people saw the first line and thought it was one of our regular “charming” trollers :P

2. Woah there’s a blast from the past. How are you Glenn?

36. Typical RCs, told what to think and who to vote for. Brainwashed clowns! Think for yourselfs

37. What the Catholic Church said in 1909.

“Women can never be man’s equal and cannot therefore enjoy equal rights. Few women would ever desire to legislate, and those who did would only be classed as eccentrics.” That was on women voting, they have always been fighting progress.

1. Indeed. And when women won the right to vote, did it cause the concept of voting to be fundamentally altered or re-written? Of course not. So why assuming amending the legal status of marriage to be gender blind will be any different? Answer is, of course, the RCC is a hateful misogynistic bigoted institution and always has been.

38. Love this comment from the Huffington Post when New York ensured marriage was equal (the commentary is about the hate filled campaign of the RC Bishop in New York):

” …it is not a winning argument even with Catholics, a substantial majority of whom reject the Church’s position and support same-sex marriage. Indeed, whereas 53 percent of all Americans now support same-sex marriage, approximately 60 percent of Catholics now take that position. It is heart-warming and inspiring when the adherents of a religion — any religion — are more decent, more wise and more moral than the “leaders” of their religion. It’s enough to give one faith in the future.”

The same is true in the UK, the out of touch church leaders will be shown up for the shameful bigots that they are.

39. Tom Cotner 6 Mar 2012, 1:51pm

By stating that marriage is “an expression of our fundamental humanity” and then denying this expression to same sex couples is exactly the same as stating that same-sex couples are not fundamentally human.
    Although this attitude is totally grotesque, it is the attitude that the church has maintained for 2000 years toward anyone who disagrees with them.
    Fear of the church is quickly dwindling, as these backwards thinking yokels will eventually figure out, and join the human race, themselves — -maybe.

40. George Broadhead 6 Mar 2012, 1:54pm

The Daily Telegraph’s hostility to gay marriage is hardly suprising as it is owned by two Catholics.

1. Dave North 6 Mar 2012, 3:23pm

A bit of a shame for them as their poll returned 81% FOR gay marriage.

HaHa.

2. Lionheart 6 Mar 2012, 3:58pm

I’m reminded of the way in which the BBC carried the hate ridden anf hurtful story from the Scottish Archbishop on Sunday 4 March. Why on earth did the BBC carry this as their lead story? There were several other more significant stories which would have filled this spot .Seems to me that the Catholic Mafia is at work [again] at the BBC, seeking to influence public opinion and the legislative agenda.

There are several times when Roman Catholic stories get far more prominence than their worth. Questions should be asked about BBC impartiality!

1. Many of the top dogs at the Bible Broadcasting Corporation are catholics including the recently appointed trustee Chris Patten.

1. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 6 Mar 2012, 7:31pm

Not to mention the director-general Mark Thompson.

2. I agree with this sentiment: LGBT voices, feelings and concerns have never been given fair time on BBC News & Current Affairs.

3. I have been thinking this about the bbc for ages. BBC Scotland seems even more obsessed.

3. Lionheart 6 Mar 2012, 4:22pm

Woops ! Should have said CARDINAL not Archbishop …. Sorry .. Maybe BIGOT … is more accurate !

41. Marriage is apparently much older than Christianity. The Viking wedding ceremony culminated in an insult competition, and then usually a fight. An extract from Greg Jenner’s very interesting article which says history records the Church opposing the abolition of slavery.

1. Spanner1960 6 Mar 2012, 3:00pm

Sounds much like some CP’s I’ve been to.

2. Dr Robin Guthrie 6 Mar 2012, 3:26pm

Another quote

“A literal Biblical marriage is a polygamous one (Exodus 21:10) that allows a husband to stone his bride to death if she is not a virgin on their wedding night (Deuteronomy 22:22).”

Also see:

1. Yes, it’s excellent: [O’Brien] seems to possess the philosophical subtlety of a pot plant, and the communication skills of a cringe-inducing Ricky Gervais character, capable only of digging himself deeper and deeper into the quagmire of outrage with the utterance of every idiotic vowel.

Well said.

42. September Meadows 6 Mar 2012, 2:10pm

Every day, every single day I wake up and read something on the internet that is an affirmation of just how glad I am of being atheist!

1. Abso-freaking-lutely likewise!

2. September, you said it.

43. Miguel Sanchez 6 Mar 2012, 2:15pm

Now, wveryone knows why I’ll NEVER step foot back into the church again. Now being a cradle Catholic has given me much greater vision.

1. Well you’ll be going to mass this Sunday won’t you.

Invite a few friends.

Sit separately from your friends.

When the priest starts engaging in his hatespeech you all need to stand up and call him a bigot and walk out.

Every catholic cult building must be protested this weekend.

These perverted child raping priests need to understand that their days in meddling with our democracy is over.

1. Are you going to mass this Sunday, dAVID?

1. Mais oui.

Naturellement.

44. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-17270136

Yet another case of Priests abusing children, and yet they claim that our right to marry is ‘grotesque’!

1. Robert in S. Kensington 6 Mar 2012, 2:25pm

True, but the C of E as well as the Roman cult will use this kind of thing to turn it around and justify a ban on gays marrying. In the U.S. the Catholic League president, William Donohue, twice married I might add, said that gay = paedophilia. The roman hierarchy including the pope should be arrested for crimes against humanity. The UK’s cardinals are also complicit and should receive identical treatment. Sexual abuse of boys and girls is still going on in spite of the exposure of the molestation scandal that is almost 2 millenia old. It’s not new as some seem to think.

45. mike lowe 6 Mar 2012, 2:25pm

In the light of the the letter to be read out at Catholic Churches this sunday, I intend to go to Birmingham Cathedral for Mass and walk out (with my collection money in my hand) as the letter is read out aloud, never to return until a public apology is made. Is this a silent protest that could catch on this weekend?

1. the time has moved beyond that of “silent protest”.

if you are to make a point, then your voice should be your point.

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.”

I say, “.. and that good men SAY nothing”. Silence is tacit approval.

1. You need to shout ‘Bigot’ as you walk out.

2. Don’t leave before the collection plate is passed around: stay and grab as much of it as you can by way of compensation…

1. Anna Johnstone 7 Mar 2012, 2:37am

and tell them you’ll be giving it all to a secular charity on your way out. http://www.responsiblecharity.org is a good one. They’re busy in India doing the work the Catholic church has been lying through their arses about for 60 plus yrs. The founder is also gay which should piss the church off even more.

3. Anna Johnstone 7 Mar 2012, 2:38am

46. despicable!

47. Why not simplify it by just telling catholics to oppose democracy and civil liberties, at least that would be honest of them.

48. Skulander 6 Mar 2012, 3:03pm

So what can we do about this? Is there a petition circulating opposing this hateful letter from top church officials? Will there be protests? People coming to mass wearing signs? I sure hope people simply won’t let this letter be read without it being asnwered properly and the discrimination towards LGBT people behind it unmasked.

1. The good thing is that you don’t need to wait for an organised protest.

Simply find your nearest catholic cult buiding, show up, and scream ‘bigot’ as the priest starts spewing his hatred and walk out.

invite some friends along to participate.

The catholic cult needs to know its place.

It has no place interfering in our democracy like it is doing.

49. A suggestion – anyone that disagrees with this statement simply and quietly stand and turn your back on the speaker as the letter is read

1. Dennis Battler 6 Mar 2012, 4:05pm

better yet, walk out

1. I think the impact of a number of people getting up and walking out during the reading of the letter would have a really powerful impact.

1. Exactly Katy

Which is why a little organisation to maximise impact might be a great thing

Ideally all the major RC cathedrals and significant churches should be targetted along with some small ones targetted deliberatelly.. Be good to get the press there.

Perhaps Pink News could send someone to question their local RC priest on his reaction to people walking out of his church in outrage at the patronising treatment of gay people.

1. There is really no organising necessary.

There can be walkouts from every single catholic church in the land.

Catholic churches exist all over the country. Gay people live all over the country.

I don’t see any reason why there cannot be walkouts or protests at every single catholic church this weekend.

Catholic masses are open to everyone. You don’t actually need to be a catholic to attend mass and walk out.

2. Vinnie Bartilucci 6 Mar 2012, 6:23pm

I really should read the comment chain first – I suggested the same thing below.

Quiet, respectful egress. Preferably in great numbers.

50. Steve Patrick 6 Mar 2012, 3:11pm

Maybe the Archbishop can explain which form of biblical marriage he is talking about. The pig hypocrite!

1. Love it

51. “SIEG HIEL”!

“I mean hello, welcome to mass today”

52. Mark Robertson 6 Mar 2012, 3:39pm

The bigots are losing, that is why they are getting so hysterical.

1. Exactly.

The argument has been won but we need to expose the bigotry for what it is

53. Craig Denney 6 Mar 2012, 4:27pm

When the Pope made his controversial visit to Germany 300,000 people walked out the church door!

When that letter is read-out in catholic churches here in the UK there will be a stampede for the church door and people could die from being trampled underfoot!

1. Dr Robin Guthrie 6 Mar 2012, 4:28pm

Here’s hoping….

2. Anna Johnstone 7 Mar 2012, 2:32am

I’m an atheist but I’m considering going to a catholic church on sunday just so I can walk out on the letter.

54. How about bringing back the old penal laws against Catholics so “THEY” cannot vote? Why do they deserve rights and gay men and lesbians don’t?

55. I would really LOVE one of these people to explain exactly WHAT harm marriage equality will do the the institution of marriage. All the arguments seem to be “redefining…” pedantry or “whatever next? Bestiality? Incest? nonsense. What ACTUAL harm will this do? Any answers?

56. Look on the bright side. This act will diminish both the authority and the congregations of this silly club

57. Sister Mary Clarence 6 Mar 2012, 5:29pm

For well over a millennium then Christian church married same sex couples, as the did in both ancient Rome and ancient Egypt before the advent of Christianity.

I’m guessing the Archibishop reads a good deal more churchie books than me, so I’m surprised he does know this. In fact, I’m almost certain …. no, I’m certain he does.

Should he ever pop along to the Vatican archives he will be able details of same sex marriages performed there.

At St. John Lateran in Rome (traditionally the Pope’s parish church) in 1578, St. John Lateran Church, Rome
    13 couples were married at Mass by local clergy.

There is much talk from the Church about changing marriage being wrong,. Yet that is exactly what the church themselves did only a few centuries ago.

58. The Archbishops may consider (wrongly) that Catholics have a duty to oppose equalisation of marriage.

I consider LGBT people have a duty to oppose the Archbishops and to do so in as many creative ways as possible.

Glitter anyone?

1. Robert in S. Kensington 6 Mar 2012, 7:08pm

How about all catholic women using contraceptives stand up during mass and declare in unison that they are using them. Excommunication anyone? What an embarrassment that would be for the clergy.

All of us a have a moral duty to expose the hypocrisy and the bigotry towards gays and women and do it in the public square and if need be, in the churches, just like American catholic women walked out of mass during the Vatican 2 ruling against artificial birth control which sparked a mass exodus. Time to do it again.

2. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 6 Mar 2012, 7:44pm

Glitter is the stupidest thing to throw at anyone! Confetti is far more relevant!

1. Glittery confetti then?

59. Vinnie Bartilucci 6 Mar 2012, 6:19pm

I think the most polite and effective protest would be go to mass, and just quietly get up and leave as the letter is read. No screaming, no disruption, just up, get your coat, and out.

Nice excuse to put on your Sunday Best.

60. Bella Brahms 6 Mar 2012, 6:34pm

I feel a placard and a picket outside Catholic churches this weekend coming on.

61. Guglielmo 6 Mar 2012, 6:41pm

As a gay, disaffected Catholic myself, may I presume to offer a few words of advice? Peter Tatchell tactics or anything like them would be not only useless but extremely counter-productive. Do NOT go to church and disrupt the Mass by attacking the priest, verbally or otherwise. He is not responsible for this letter which is going to be read out; he may not even agree with it. Yes, we know all about the clerical abuse scandals, but it is still the fact that the vast majority of Catholic priests, just like the vast majority of the rest of us, have never sexually abused a child and would never dream of doing so. In fact, statistically speaking, the chances that the priest himself is gay are far, far higher than the chances that he is a child molester. If you disagree with the letter, write to the two Archbishops themselves, saying so and explaining why, and do so WITHOUT any vituperative language or reckless accusations of child abuse.

1. Dr Robin Guthrie 6 Mar 2012, 7:22pm

“He is not responsible for this letter which is going to be read out; he may not even agree with it.”

He can refuse to read it out.

1. Guglielmo 6 Mar 2012, 7:47pm

Yes, he could. But can you be sure that you would, if you were a Catholic priest, dependent on the church for your living? It’s so easy to say what other people ought to do when you’re not in their situation. I just thank God that I’m not in their situation.

By the way, there must be quite a number of gay men who were severely damaged by the psychological and spiritual homophobic abuse heaped on them during their teenage years by the Catholic Church, and who mistakenly chose the celibate priesthood as a solution – albeit an illusory one – to the totally unnecessary dilemma which the church had imposed on them, and are now trapped in it. To be honest, it makes me weep to think about it.

2. Felix Garnet-Simister 9 Mar 2012, 10:25am

Exactly – and I know a number of priests in Manchester will have decided not to read such insulting filth.

2. The number of child rapists (let’s be honest about the proper description of the crime) involved does not lessen the outrage of the cover-up that has occurred at a global level. Why is it reckless to expose hypocrisy? Letters to Archbishops will not get any exposure. Any amount of letter writing will not change the mind of such people. After all, their leader in Rome is infallible.

We need to appeal to the conscience of their followers. The majority of Catholics do not share these reactionary views. The letter on Sunday is an ultimatum to Catholics to choose between their faith or acceptance of LGBT people.

I think a dignified vigil is part of the solution.

1. @Adrian

Absolutely.

The horrendous impact of each and every rape (and there have been many documented – and one wonders how many have not been reported!) will be unthinkable for each of the survivors and potentially those close to them.

It is in some ways even worse the insidious and immoral cover up that many senior clerics have engaged in, including active obstruction of criminal investigations.

If these are examples of moral behaviour – I will take no lecture from them!

3. David Myers 7 Mar 2012, 10:23am

I disagree. You should not attack the priest on a personal level, but you should stand up and shout out your disagreement with the official position as dictated by the Senior Archbishops. After making your point clear you should invite anyone who agrees with you to stand up and walk out with you. Be sure and take along at least a few friends who do not sit with you, do agree with you, and are willing to walk out with you.

62. I do hope that any gay florist, hairdresser or dress maker will refuse to do work for any Catholic wedding.

1. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 6 Mar 2012, 7:38pm

Hear hear. I’m mindful that I am called militant by these clowns in frocks, so yeah, a little solidarity for dragging our sexuality down to their level. But obviously, no one could possibly afford to turn away money these days…

1. Some people view the word militant as an insult. Depending on the context it can actually be a great compliment. For example, someone who fights strongly for a social cause. Human rights certainly are a social cause. Fighting strongly for that cause is an admirable and laudable act.

There is another type of militancy where the person is also combative, aggressive and a fighter. However, their fight is not admirable. Their fight is full of bellicose attitude, belligerence and is totally fanatical regardless of reason.

Mr Ripley you and many others on here are the positive type of militant – the type who seeks change for good reason to benefit society. The Cardinal and Archbishop are the negative fanatical militants who are blind to reason.

You deserve credit. They deserve condemnation.

1. David Myers 7 Mar 2012, 10:26am

Well put!

63. Andrew in Oz 6 Mar 2012, 6:59pm

Its time that they lost All of their government handouts and tax exemptions so they can concentrate on their core business – HATRED

64. All Catholic gay people – indeed, any person who chooses not to be subject to the tyranny of this Church – should attend and mark their opposition by a silent walkout.

65. Robert in S. Kensington 6 Mar 2012, 7:24pm

Oh how I’d love to see renowned scientist Professor Richard Dawkins take on this idiot. Where is he when we need him?

66. Jens Oh Dear 6 Mar 2012, 7:51pm

This is all over the news in the last couple of days. I disagree with these priests and religious leaders in what they say, but the media is focusing on it all wrong. I think it’s lovely that a society; like the British, have come such a long way that we are discussing whether or not gays should have the right to marry. But I believe the media should much rather focus on the big problem around the world for people who are gay, e.g. countries like Saudi Arabia, Iran, Uganda etc. where gays are not talking about getting married, but how to survive tomorrow.

1. Lionheart 6 Mar 2012, 8:03pm

I agree … and another example was the way in which the BBC carried the hate ridden and hurtful story from the Scottish Cardinal on Sunday 4 March. Why on earth did the BBC carry this as their lead story on radio and TV? There were several other more significant stories which would have filled this spot. Seems to me that the Catholic Mafia is at work [again] at the BBC, seeking to influence public opinion and the legislative agenda.

1. Jens Oh Dear 6 Mar 2012, 10:02pm

Absolutely! Don’t get me wrong, I do believe the Catholic priesthood should receive criticism for some of the statements they’ve made lately. But I also suspect the Western media, not only the British, to find it more ‘comfortable’ to criticise the Catholics and other Christians here in this part of the world rather than focusing on much more vital areas of the world, like countries in Africa and the Middle East.

67. Robin Evans 6 Mar 2012, 8:15pm

The Catholics are declaring war, they think its OK to block a minority, cause youth suicide and homophobia…

Fu*k them… If it’s war they want, lets give it to the pedophiles…

68. Another spiteful and hopeless rear guard battle by an embittered and sparsely populated discretited organisation.

Not the Catholic church but a catholic church and as near it makes no difference.

69. Janet Lameck 6 Mar 2012, 9:27pm

The “GAY” priests don’t want you allowing other gays to get married.
    Hello you IDIOTS! 51 percent of polled Catholics are FOR same sex marriage.
    Separate Church and State once and for all!

70. Errol Semple 6 Mar 2012, 9:33pm

Sick

71. They have a duty to married people to block gay marriage! This coming from an organisation which requires their officials NOT to marry or even have sex with consenting adults is surely a JOKE! They wonder why people are leaving the church!

72. What about the duty of Catholics to protect children from abusive priests? Doesn’t that deserve priority?

73. Anna Johnstone 7 Mar 2012, 2:25am

What about their duty to pay taxes! Until they start paying them, they should not be commenting. Try issuing the church with a 1300yr back-dated tax-bill (for immediate payment). That should pretty much bankrupt the church and cure the country’s debt in one go!

74. here in Australia some priest have been caught with young kids .
    but thats always kelp quiet.
    so ti must be ok to do things to kids but been gay must be far worse. i cant see how

75. I wonder how much the average person puts in the collection plate?

How much does it cost for a “I support gay marraige” button?

It’s too bad there is not enough time to get a button to every catholic that supports gay marriage, that way they could put that in the collection plate in response instead of change!… hit the church were it hurts! in the pocket and give them a wake up call that not all the sheep in the flock are easily lead.

1. Googe where your nearest catholic cult building is, find out the mass times and join it on Sunday, and cause a big ruckus about walking out when the priest starts his hatespeech.

This really is an invitation from the catholilc cult for us to protest.

They have actually announced the timing of their next sickening hate speech.

We need to take advantage of this and tell them face to face how revolting they are.

1. David Myers 7 Mar 2012, 10:31am

And while you’re at it call up the media and tell them there will be a walkout – after you’ve gotten committments from a number of friends to do this with you, that is.

76. on your bike you brainwashed bastard you will not and i repeat not stop gay marriage. you might want to look closely at your church as their are priests that like having sex with children instead of fighting us. the catholics are mental disturbed people

1. Poop on the penis...,,.euuugh!...... 11 Mar 2012, 8:32am

These paedo priests you mention are disturbingly mostly homosexual in that they are sodomizing young male children/ This is a disturbing trend in the ‘homosexual priesthood community.’

77. I think it is a hoot that the Catholic Cardinals have taking to first putting their Sunday sermons out through the media.

What does that tell us ? Clearly there is so few people actually going to Sunday sermons anymore that they need a little help with getting their message out to their imagined flock of faithful.

However, every time one of their leaders open their mouths they loose even more of what little support they have. The Church of England is of course not so far behind.

These clerics time and time again have demonstrated that they are a very sad bunch of not so bright men. What we are thankfully witnessing is the results of the Catholic Church having hit a metaphorical iceberg.

PS – You have to hand it to them though they do know how to sniff out the perks. A world full of poverty and hardship and what did we find? There are priests stationed on the Costa cruise liners. And they wonder why nobody takes them seriously anymore!

78. I have the feeling that this particular epistle, among British Catholics at least, will be greeted with a lot of yawning and glazed eyes in the pews.

79. Dr Robin Guthrie 7 Mar 2012, 9:03am

Excellent News.

With Mugabe on their side they will clearly be seen to stand on the wrong side of history.

1. Thanks for posting the link . . . fantastic news !!!

80. The stunningly positive part of this news is that the catholic cult is advertising in advance the bigotted hatespeech they will be giving next Sunday.

Some notes.

1. You don’t have to prove you are catholic to attend mass. So ANYONE can attend.
    2. There are catholic churches the length and breadth of the country. There are LGBT people the length and breadth of the country.
    3. Most catholic churches have a webpage, or at least advertise their masstimes on line.
    4. It’s time we all had a church Sunday.

Personally I don’t think it matters whether a protest is inside or outside the church, or whether it is a silent or very noisy protest.

What matters is that every single catholic church in the country needs to be picketted this Sunday.

1. No don’t play into their game. They love to cast themselves as the victims. Angry gays and lesbians outside the churches harassing a meager handful of church goers – they would milk this for months.

Better to just ignore them. They have lost this debate. They don’t have credibility particularly because of the child abuse scandal, they are viewed by the wider public as arrogant and nasty, they don’t even have the support of large parts of their own congregations and most importantly they have even lost a large amount of support in the Tories.

It must be painful for them having committed their life to belief system that have been shown to be wanting. Particularly as so many of them are widely known or suspected to be homosexual in orientation – I don’t use the word gay as they are so self-repressed and self-loathing of their sexual orientation as in my b=view they are homosexual but not gay.

It is really amounts to a pathetic spectacle that perhaps deserves pity.

81. I have a large extended family. All were brought up as catholics. None of them go to church any more. When I ask them why, they tell me they cannot stand the bigotry over homosexuality and the cover-up of the paedophile priests.

Congratulations to the catholic hierarchy for persuading 30 irish catholics to stop going to church. An institution dating back 2000 years has managed to bring about its own destruction in one generation.

20 years ago the pope said south america was the hope of the church’s future. But even they are leaving the church in droves. Now the catholics pin their hopes on black africans.

82. It’s not just the RC church – some CofE churches in Berkshire at least have C4M petitions against gay marriage in them and chruchgoers are being urged to sign them.

83. There is no need for us to do anything to expose the catholic church and the disproportionately loud voices of the right-wing christians in this country.

The Telegraph has run a series of articles on this topic (it might as well have been The Catholic Herald). And in the comments, and in the accompanying poll, the anti-gay lot have been demolished.

See for yourself.

84. Watt Tyler 7 Mar 2012, 12:23pm

Now remember, Roman Catholics said persecute us, WE MUST PERSECUTE ROMAN CATHOLICS. I did not vote for the Catholic church and they have no democratic mandate – they represent almost no one in THIS country.

85. Guglielmo 7 Mar 2012, 1:43pm

Well, I hope that it will be our parish priest (and not one of the associate clergy) who reads the letter out this coming Sunday. He has such a strong Polish accent that it will be almost unintelligible.

86. “ ‘Complementarity’ seems to be a Neo-Blather word, meaning some kind of vague, karma-balance, dualistic, Gnostic, yin-yang, Latinized gobbledygook to make it look scholarly” — Bob P., posted to arc, 2/13/2005.

87. David Nottingham 9 Mar 2012, 10:25am

Catholics will be told of their “duty to oppose gay marriage” …… the utter arrogance and cowardice of this action to force local priests to read out a letter to their congregations. This will not create more homophobes, it will alienate more their faithful congregations from their bigoted so-called leaders. The average parish catholic is a well-meaning human being trying to follow the principles of love and acceptance to all. On Sunday they will be read an offensive and insidiously discriminate letter full of hate and intolerance. The cardinals must have a very low regard for their flock if they think this will make a blind bit of difference to them.

88. Dear Cleric
    Would you get your nose OUT of my life and my business!!!! IF and WHEN you ever get around to cleaning up the mess in your own affairs then and only then MIGHT you be in a position to comment on other matters!!!

89. Robert Green 10 Mar 2012, 1:54pm

Catholic Sheeple should start leaving bags of excrement in the Pews… to cover up the stink of their church!

90. I am a Gay man in a Civil Partnership. I attend Mass every week with my partner. I sat through the letter being read out at Saturday evening Mass. People were asked to take the church newsletter home as it had the address on of where to sign the petition but the vast majority of people just put the newsletter back. At the bidding prayers were we have to stand up I sat down when that prayer that marriage to be protected was read out. MOST Catholics support equality for all and I wished the Church realised this. It has probably gone unnoticed but all the main parties in the Irish parliament now support a move from Civil Partnerships there to equality and the Republic of Ireland are likely to change the law there very soon without any protest in what once was a very catholic country.

91. Poop on the penis...,,.euuugh!...... 11 Mar 2012, 8:36am

@Spanner

My reply…
    That’s right Zack I mean stu, or whichever sock puppet you are today. Really, you should talk!

92. David Werling 11 Mar 2012, 6:57pm

Two queers showed up. That’s it. Figures. You profligates aren’t used to having to get up before one on Sundays.

93. PAUL NELSON 11 Mar 2012, 10:17pm

Mario Conti should have a good look at his own organisation and the kiddie fiddling priests that are out there.
    My Civil partner and I are both Roman Catholics and are ashamed that this man has taken the views on gay marriage that he has. Time this so called Christian was brought to book over his warped comments lets all remember what Hitler did to the Jews!!!!!! This man is dangerous in today’s society can he or does he not want to see the damage this will do to the Gay community.

WE BOTH HANG OUR HEAD IN SHAME TO HAVE BEEN CHRISTENED INTO THIS ORGANISATION. OR SHOULD THAT BE Indoctrinated??????

MARIO HANG YOUR HEAD IN SHAME and we should all make a complaint to Strathclyde Police about his homophobic behaviour.

94. It would be interesting to know how many priests read this letter – mine certainly didn’t but he mentioned it and condemned it completely. Two southern archbishops have little influence here in the north.

95. Patrick Mc Crossan 12 Mar 2012, 5:43pm

As a gay man and as a gay catholic I have problems with Stonewall’s Draft Marriage Bill

I think they have deliberately chosen words and phrases to assist me as part of a minority that will offend the majority.

I believe Stonewall who have done and who do great work have chosen to upset the majority by removing Husband & Wife by amendments completely from the marriage bill. ( see )

Extension of Marriage to Same-Sex Couples Bill 2012 [HC] a husband and wife” substitute “parties to a marriage”.

For those who have been married and see it as an institution, and as Husband & Wife are part of the worlds accepted married status I feel it will create far too much upset to achieve marriage rights for gay people by removing the majority’s right to continue to be called Husband & Wife.

Stonewall should achieve equal marriage rights without upsetting the majority.

It is issues like this that gets people to believe we are going too far when we denigrate others rights to achieve our own right

96. Jock S. Trap 13 Mar 2012, 3:35pm

I think the fact people are being TOLD what do do and say coz they clearly cannot be allow to have their own mind or opinions says it all.

Then they’ll be tell us again how it’s the government thats being a dictatorship.

Hypocrites!!

97. I was at Mass this Sunday just gone and heard the content of the letter that was read out, we were asked (not by the Priest) but the Bishops of England & Wales in the letter, our priest for his part is a very accepting man indeed

98. I honestly don’t care what Catholics believe, even thoug I disagree with their beliefs. But in the US (where I’m from) and the UK (where this site is from), among many countries, we have freedom of religion. Marriage is not a religious thing as people of any faith/non-faith and people who are tattooed, have sex before marriage, etc can get married. Civil marriage and holy matrimony are two separate things. Nobody is forcing you to perform same-sex marriage, get over it.

1. though*