Video: Gay romance an option in new Mass Effect game

1. A while ago (2010?) some silly little boy went on to the Bioware (makers of this game) official forums to complain about the homosexual relationship options in Dragon Age 2. The verbal beating Bioware gave him for his attempt to assert heteronormative privilege was epic. Bioware is most certainly LGBT friendly. And while they might not get it right every time, but they are trying to provide the most diverse options they can.

1. VodkaJulian 5 Mar 2012, 5:02pm

It’s a pity that Bioware tend to make the homosexual characters really slutty. The moment i picked up Zevran for my team in Dragon Age: Origins, you could tell he was the main homosexual romance option.

It was like opening up Pandora’s box of gay innuendo’s every time you spoke to him.

1. I fairness, I’m not sure the subtlety is a feature for most of the characters.

2. I never really picked up any sluttiness from Anders, though, and I always felt that he was the “romance” option rather than just the “must get laid” option for men. The same sort of goes for Isabella being the “sex” option for women, while Merrill is more the romance-geared option.

3. You are aware that when you are a woman you can also have a relationship with him, he is Bi (BTW this is also true in DA 2)

2. Oh, people complain about stuff like this all the time. I’m on the Bethesda forums and there’s usually some brat whining about ‘OMG, HOW COME THERE’S SO MANY GAY PEOPLE IN FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS?!’ and ‘WHY DO MEN KEEP HITTING ON MY MALE CHARACTER?’

Best thing to do is just tell them that they’re idiots (because apparently killing people in a video game is okay, but (99% of the time, MALE) same-sex relationships aren’t) and appeal to mods. It does get very frustrating, though.

2. GingerlyColors 5 Mar 2012, 4:48pm

Anybody who has played The Sims which have been around for some time now would have noticed that same-sex relationships could be formed between the characters.

1. Jason Brown 5 Mar 2012, 4:57pm

Yeah but The Sims sucks and isn’t a proper game, this however is a proper game that is awesome.

1. GingerlyColors 6 Mar 2012, 8:39am

I must admit I do not do video games often but I do enjoy the Sims, often creating the sort of little worlds that I would like to live in.

2. Even if you don’t like The Sims, you can’t say it isn’t a proper game. Games have many different genres, not just ‘bang bang’ or ‘magic sword slash’.

2. True. The last Sims game I bought, I got them a heart shaped bed and my female pair kept rushing in there and humping without any prompting (and yet they needed to be reminded often not to piddle themselves…) I suspect the difference is a blend of slightly more in depth character development, and less pixelation when they get down to it.

3. Jason Brown 5 Mar 2012, 4:56pm

Why is this news now? Everyone has known about this for a year.

4. Bioware have been adding gay characters in there games for many years (I think the first was Jade Empire, 2005, which had both lesbian and gay relationships.) so it is great to see them finally adding a same-sex male relationship in Mass Effect. It’s just shame they could not do it earlier, especially as they have had a lesbian relationship option since the first game. Still, better late than never! Hopefully they will get around to adding same-sex relationships in the Old Republic soon too.

5. Sam Maloney 5 Mar 2012, 6:35pm

Skyrim– the new Elder Scrolls game– allows same sex marriage. The dialog of the wedding ceremony is carefully scripted in gender neutral terms, as are the terms of endearment used by the spouse. Its really very sweet! No real sexual content, but given that most of the ‘good stuff’ of this series has come out of the User Generated Content community, we can probably look forward to some more mature scenes…

6. I’m getting it. Will make a change from call of duty.

7. Crumbs! Now I’m looking forward to it even more.

8. Having played it and all three Mass Effect games now. I’m glad they added it. There is nothing slutty about the gay relationship at all in ME3. No spoilers though ;) its handled well, with respect and is a major element to Cortez’s story. The ‘sex’ scene is tame in the extreme when you compare it to ME2 with Miranda and the other Hetro and Lesbian ones; So they lost points there with me. Also the major gripe is that Shepard never says ‘I love you’… come on B.W. its the ‘end of the world’ and Shepard is that emotionally crippled he can’t say ‘I love you’ and still focus on Liara?