Ed Miliband signs marriage equality pledge

1. B L Z Bub 5 Mar 2012, 3:16pm

Looks like Cardinal Chunders diatribes may have done us all a favour.

1. Father Ted 6 Mar 2012, 10:56am

He seems so apoplectic I am concerned he may choke on his own vomit.

2. Good to see Milliband being unequivocal in his support for equal marriage

1. Father Ted 6 Mar 2012, 10:57am

Better late than never. At least now we can choose who to vote for on non gay issues.

1. pink_for_labour 6 Mar 2012, 1:52pm

Always Labour

3. I think that all the leaders of the main parties (along with quite a few of the smaller parties) have now said they’re in favour of marriage equality, so surely it must become a reality throughout Britain within the next few years? I am very optimistic about it.

4. And why isn’t marriage equality official Labour Party policy?

1. To be fair dAVID very little has changed on anything policy wise since Milliband was elected leader. There is very little publically available about what their specific policies are on most matters. As many oppositions do they are playing their cards on most policies close to their chest, which to an extent is an understandable thing to do. Milliband has made it clear he does support equal marriage. All the candidates for the Labour leadership that competed with Milliband also endorse equal marriage. Most unions endorse equal marriage. Whenever a paper is produced that seeks to restrict LGBT rights there are fewer labour signatories than Conservative. Historically labour MPs tend to support LGBT rights. The vast majority of the population (70% at a recent opinion poll) endorse equal marriage. Its fairly clear that labour will support equal marriage. It is unthinkable that they would not. I do understand they maintain a tight view on what policies they announce though.

1. Not good enough.

Marriage equality is official party policy of the Lib Dems.

At the last Labour Party conference it was announced that legal equality for the LGBT population was not even in the Top 10 list of agenda points for Labour.

And the fact that the potential Labour Mayor of London refuses to distance himself from genocidal homophobia, is a clear sign that Labour is simply not good enough on LGBT issues.

Sure they are better than the Tories, but Ed Miliband signing this pledge is a meaningless PR move,

Has the Labour Party even apologised for introducing CP apartheid legislation.

They keep ging on about CP’s as if they were the end goal.

CP apartheid was NEVER the end goal, yet the Labour Party still seems to have problems grasping the simple concept that equaiity was always the end goal.

Ed Miliband is a slimy opportuinist. I want to seem some action from him on marriage equality.

1. Craig Nelson 6 Mar 2012, 1:20pm

I don’t think you’re being very fair.

Ken has supported marriage equality and has a good track record on LGBT issues.

I don’t think there’s a need to apologise for CP’s as they gave partnership recognition equal to marriage in 2005 and it’s largely because of that that marriage equality is being debated today.

I agree that signing a pledge in and of itself doesn’t amount to much but the Labour Leader has consistently supported marriage equality. As for wanting ‘action’ there’s very little anyone can do until the Government produces its Bill and allows MPs to vote on it. Until then the only thing the Labour Leader can do is express his support – which he is doing.

1. pink_for_labour 6 Mar 2012, 2:00pm

Rigid dAVID is so principled that he cannot accept anything less from others

2. @dAVID

I’m a floating voter. I didn’t vote Labour at the last election (although I have in the past).

I do not vote on LGBT issues alone (although they do have some bearing on how I make my decisions – but clearly I also consider economic, crime, health etc etc).

In terms of LGBT approaches I also consider the candidate and not the party. That is one of the reasons I float. So, for example, if a candidate in my constituency was David Burrowes I could never vote for him whatever party he was representing at the time!

In terms of general LGBT approaches and specifically that to marriage (with the caveat of considering individual candidates personal views) that I am happy that labour would support the introduction of equal marriage.

Yes they could have done a lot more about marriage in the past, but their general approach to LGBT rights has been fantastic. I prefer to look forward and seek improvements rather than berate failures in the past, particularly when they helped us

5. ‘Bout time, the chinless wonder.

6. radical53 6 Mar 2012, 3:18am

With so much talk about gay marriage.

I question now is Marriage relevant in today’s and tomorrows world.

If we rid/ banned marriage altogether, wouldn’t we all be better off. It is an out dated institution which we really should not belong to.

1. I profoundly disagree. Marriage is a celebration of love that has been denied to same sex people for too long. It is the gold standard recognition of commitment.
      Even if there were a desire to scrap marriage (which I do not believe there is) then scrapping the millions of marriages that exist would not be practical or be likely to be supported.

1. Actually marriage is a business contract.

The notion that it is a celebration of love is a very recent development.

2. Marriage is a choice. If it is as outdated as you say, people would simply choose not to do it. Banning it would be just as shocking as not letting same-sex couples marry.

3. Craig Nelson 6 Mar 2012, 12:06pm

Essentially this is an argument for getting rid of civil marriage and couples wanting to get married would then have to get married in church (or other place of worship). As there are religious bodies wanting to marry same sex couples it would still come back to the same thing i.e. allowing for same sex couples to marry. Of course in Scotland Humanists can also perform marriages.

So getting rid of civil marriage doesn’t really change anything apart from making more people have church weddings than have them at the moment.

I disagree with the notion that marriage is an institution we should not belong to – the only people who could be said to ‘belong to marriage’ are those who get married and they presumably know what they’re doing.

4. Radical – I agree that in an ideal world there would be no marriage and that CP’s would be adequate for everyone.

That will never happen though. People would not support it.

And at the present time the fact that same sex couples are denied access to marriage is a grotesque situation – a sexual apartheid even.

Any LGBT opposed to marriage equality is an utter moron.

How can someone be opposed to a right that they themselves do not possess but the rest of society does?

7. claire brown 8 Mar 2012, 1:11pm

is the population of Brittian 100% gay ?

Seems like high % of gay responses in the comment section!

where are the comments of straights ?

What this really comes down to is the government taking a subsidy away from a child of a man and a woman
    and giving that same money to two woman or two men who dont have children.
    In other words ,marriage is actually a goverment subsidy.
    And if you add to the numbers of those getting the subsidy your taking away from the group who got the subsidy before– namely a child of a man and a woman.

1. No sweetie, marriage is about love.

Governments have responsibilities to minorities.

Your argument is entirely a strawman argument.