Feature: Gay testimonies from the Emirates

1. Coalition for Queer Youth 2 Mar 2012, 3:49pm

Thank You so much for sharing these stories. We would love to include them in Testimony, our exhibition of LGBTQ voices from all over the world! Check it out and connect with other queer people’s stories too.

-Coalition for Queer Youth

2. Courageous stories! There is no hope for your yunger generation of gays and lesbians in these countries and they will nto be able to be repressed for too much longer. The web is opening everything up to them and that they can also form their own thoughts free of any religous claptrap!

1. Crickey, just noticed all my typos! That should read that there is now hope for the younger generation. I think many of you realised that though.

3. Inspiring! Brave people (:

4. I can only admire people who have the tenacity to buck the trend and be true to themselves in a society as repressive as that.
    It can be a big enough challenge to come out in the UK for some, but when your entire culture is inherently homophobic and sex is simply not discussed, that must make it 10 times harder.
    Hope these stories open up a new frontier of LGBT tolerance.

1. Staircase2 4 Mar 2012, 10:43pm

Let’s remember – this is exactly how it was in the UK and the US until very very recently.

‘The West’ has only just begun to turn its own homophobia round over the past 10-20 years or so (and most progress has only really taken place in the past 5-10 years in real terms).

There is nothing inherently homo-friendly about the UK and the US – it must be remembered that ALL political and social changes are only brought about by those individuals brave enough to stand up for what is right….

No equality issue has ever been wrought outside of this principle

5. Clever of them to approach their parents first.

Thanks Gay Middle East .

6. I love that Ali thanked Lady Gaga. Just goes to show all the Gaga-haters what a difference she has made.

That aside, well done to these individuals and others like them. When you read things like this it puts things in perspective at how lucky we are to grow up and live in the UK. It also makes me reflect on what I’m like with my father, who is the one person I have not discussed my sexuality with and probably never will. These people are inconceivably brave.

Well done.

7. GingerlyColors 3 Mar 2012, 7:13am

Dubai – I wouldn’t touch that city with a forty foot barge-pole!

1. Staircase2 4 Mar 2012, 10:39pm

Me neither – but that approach does nothing to help those LGBT people who already live there…

8. Thank you for sharing your stories. You are both very courageous men. These stories are not uncommon. In fact, there are many others in your place. Even in Canada it is difficult for Muslim men (and women too, I suppose) to be openly gay. I remember one man very quietly telling me that he had had other men to his apartment, and another who didn’t want to speak openly, for fear that someone whould hear him.

9. cien veses 4 Mar 2012, 7:54pm

I have lived in many countries of the Middle East and the UAE is possibly one of the most liberal ones. I am a discreet British gay guy but did not find any problem being gay . There is no need to be effeminate- just because you like men does not mean you have to act as a girl. In my personal experience there are many thousands of young and older gays enjoying relationships and gay sex – but they don’t have to make a big fuss and shout about it. Yes it has to be discreet but then again so does love / sex between a guy and a woman.

1. Staircase2 4 Mar 2012, 10:37pm

I’m sorry but that sounds like you’re in denial.

Just because you were able to go ‘undetected’ is not some kind of badge of honour as you seem to be suggesting.

I find it disgusting that you are effectively (as do many closeted men) laying blame for being ‘caught out’ at the feet of those who are gay as opposed to the shameless idiocy of a deluded state denying its citizens their basic Legal (internationally agreed) Human Rights.

Homophobia is a breach of those Human Rights and should be condemned whenever and whereever it raises its ugly head…

10. Staircase2 4 Mar 2012, 10:31pm

Bless you both for sharing your stories with us

1. God Bless both of you. Be strong. Don’t be afraid

11. there are 10% gays lesbians every where , we are more natural than religions . religions are taught by books gay love by the heart . stop the religious torture now for religions are all lies and there are no gods

12. That made me cry. I hope that people like you in these countries know, that although you may not have met us or will ever meet us, there are people who care deeply for you and your right to a happy, free life.

13. That was me too. But here in the UK 50 years ago! I will not travel to any Islamic country.