Humanists blast ‘ridiculous’ MP report on faith and gay equality

1. Not only is it not grounded in any sense of reality but it is seeking a Christian version of Sharia law in the UK, which is totally and utterly wrong.

Something I would be prepared to consider civil disobedience to prevent!

1. Robert in S. Kensington 29 Feb 2012, 12:30pm

They’ve been given enough exemptions from the law, more than enough. Nobody should be above it when it’s a matter of secular civil issues. Nobody is forcing them to change their beliefs or imposing same-sex marriage on them either. Unfortunately, they’re unable to comprehend or discern the difference between religious and civil. Expect more desperate rantings as the consultation approaches, fire and brimstone, armageddon, the usual mantras from devolved brains.

2. The ex-gay religious disorder brigade are always ready for a little law breaking when it suits their filthy agenda but are apt to scream and holer at respectable gay intellectuals that wish to conduct their business according to the law, which far pre-date religious bigotry.

3. F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off F–ck off

2. Keith Farrell 29 Feb 2012, 11:43am

I wonder when the church leaders will respect peoples rights? All we want is to be treated as equal. Do you realise that we are welcome in less that 5% of the worlds countries, and in some countries we can be jailed or put to death just for being gay, not to mentions this new stance in Russia a couyntry which I will never visit now. I want my rights to be the same as yours. I want to be alowed to travel with my spouse freely. I pay my taxes, why must you continue to treat me as 2nd class

3. Good job by the BHA. These “Christian” MPs need to look up “equality” in the dictionary.

If they want the Bulls to be able to throw gay couples out of their hotel, then gay hoteliers should be able to throw out guests displaying religious insignia.

Arbitrary? Yes. Not every religious person is homophobic. And not every gay couple in a hotel double bed gets busy on it – some of us are just trying to sleep, and I’m pretty sure the Bible doesn’t have anything to say about that. But if fundamentalists want the right to make sanctimonious generalisations, then equality means the rest of us get to do that too.

The idea of “religious accommodations” is fundamentally flawed. We all have a moral sense, but we don’t get to act as we please.

Reasonable accommodations help people like me to contribute to society in a way which I otherwise could not. I have to take my disability with me to the office. But I leave my prejudices and personal distates at home. Fundamentalists should try it.

1. ‘…These “Christian” MPs need to look up “equality” in the dictionary…’

somehow i doubt that they are interested in equality, they clearly argue against equality

4. George Broadhead 29 Feb 2012, 11:58am

I hope posters to this list will take note of the staunch support given to LGBT rights by the BHA and the Humanist movement as a whole which includes the gay Humanist charity the Pink Triangle Trust.

Humanist organisations (and there are many local groups throughout the UK)deserve the support of all LGBT atheists, freethinkers and secularists.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 29 Feb 2012, 12:22pm

George, absolutely! I strongly support Humanist organisations who have been champions in the cause of human rights for LGBT people and for those of us to be free from religion and it’s persistent meddling in civil matters and laws affecting one group of people. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

5. The whole notion of gay sex being sinful is low level bullying. Standing against against same-sex civil marriage is outright discrimination.

6. When will these unevolved people get over themselves – Why should their out dated superstitions and monsterous bigotry be tolerated anymore, WHY?

I thought christians were supposed to be… well, christian?

7. Hallelulah for the Humanists! What a welcome breath of fresh air the BHA response is. This is where the future lies. Hopefully the secularists will wrestle control from the religious through reason and well, HUMANITY!!! The religious should try it some time.

8. Message to all cultists.

You are free to believe in whatever you like.

The moment you step outside your cult building then you are subject to the same laws as intelligent people.

There should be no exceptions to this.

Which is why I am in favour of a cessation of all state funding to faith schools.

9. The day gays can get married around the world and have equal employment I might believe that the Christians and Muslims are supporting equal and human rights for all but not until that day. Right now they want a war so they can kill gays their own way, not to mention the black propaganda that
    they use to do that. No justice no peace.

10. downtown dave 29 Feb 2012, 9:00pm

“The right to your religious or non-religious beliefs is absolute.” This is only true in this life, not in the one to come. http://atheistlegitimacy.blogspot.com/

11. Many religious people are fighting a desperate rearguard action to hold onto a world that endured for centuries and has been slowly but surely disappearing since at least the 18th century – a world in which (specific)belief validated authority and in which law and custom tended always to favour it. It has almost gone now and some of them can’t quite believe it. Quite frankly it is tough.

12. Diesel Balaam 1 Mar 2012, 6:51pm

These Chritian whingers really get on my tits. Basically, you can be as prejudiced as you want, privately, but the minute you step into the public sphere, you have obligations to your fellow citizens regardless of whether you like or approve of their sexuality, race, religious beliefs, or whatever. The BHA is to be congratulated for pointing out that equality laws protest everyone and no one should have opt-out clauses just because they belief some Bronze-age twaddle in a so-called Holy Book.