Simon Hughes: The Sun used phone records to force me to come out

1. Suddenly Last Bummer 28 Feb 2012, 2:34pm

They forced him to come out, he opted for the ‘bisexual’ tag himself.

1. Maybe, just maybe, he is bi-sexual?

1. Suddenly Last Bummer 28 Feb 2012, 3:30pm

If he was I can’t imagine the Sun would be bothered so much, I think claiming he’s bi is a way of softening the blow so to speak.

1. I actually agree, but I can’t know his sexual preferences as much as The Sun can.

1. Haha, bad choice of words, I meant, I could never know as much what his sexual preferences are as The Sun could ever claim…

2. Spanner1960 28 Feb 2012, 10:25pm

More likely he is just a closet gay politician unwilling to face up to his responsibilities.

2. Father Ted 28 Feb 2012, 2:53pm

Is there no corporate responsibility for these crimes? Why isn’t the head of the organisation facing charges?

1. Spanner1960 28 Feb 2012, 10:26pm

The jury is out on that one. Watch this space.

3. The Sun is a despicable rag which has behaved in an appalling manner for sure.

BUt from reading this article it looks like Simon Hughes would have been perfectly happy to remain festering in his closet had the Sun not forced his hand.

The Sun as I said is an awful paper with despicable practises .

But we shoud not waste too mich sympathy on a person who lacks the integrity to be honest and open about his sexual orientation in the first place, when there is very little reason to be closeted..

Bi people often complain about their so-called ‘invisibility’. Well if all bi closet cases like Hughes were all out then the problem of invisibility would not exist.

He looks like he was perfectly willing to continue living his life as a lie.

Which is his own business for sure. But when the bi community complain about their invisibility and the lack of respect they get from the L & G community, then it shouid remember that dishonest people like Simon Hughes are part of the problem.

1. If someone wants to live their life a lie, then that’s up to them, with the provision, that they do not promote the discrimination of a minority group in which they secretly belong. If they do, they are a hypocrite, the gauntlet is down and the game is on.

1. Or if they use the homosexuality of their opponent as a stick to bash them with, while at the same time they are a closeted bisexual, then the gauntlet is also down and the game is on.

1. Ha, I’m not sure if you are agreeing with me or not…

2. Spanner1960 28 Feb 2012, 10:28pm

Irrespective of that, he was shagging men behind his wife’s back.
        This isn’t about his sexuality, it’s about the fact he is a two-timing scumbag.

2. And I just read that Simon Hughes was part of a disgustingly homophobic campaign against Peter Tatchell 30 years so.

Therefore outing him was perfectly acceptable.

His homophobic hypocrisy made him fair game for outing.

1. Bear in mind, and this is no excuse, being gay or bisexual in politics 30 years ago would have been a lot less accepted as it is now.

2. Hasnt Simo0n Hughes apologised and Peter Tatchell accepted the apology, both reported on here ….

If they don’t have an issue with this any longer, why should we?

1. I don’t have a problem with Simon Hughes per se.

But even if Tatchell forgives Hughes, it does not change the fact that SImon Hughes lacks any integrity for the appalling manner he allowed Tatchell’s sexuality to be used as a means of bashing him.

1. So, in other words, you like to culivate a grudge and let is fester … even if it doesnt directly affect you?

3. I dont think critizising people for being weak helps.

1. Weak, dishonest, cowardly, closeted politicians like SImon Hughes deserve criticism though.

4. Hodge Podge 29 Feb 2012, 9:46am

So all bi people have collective responsibility for Simon bloody Hughes?

1. No.

But all bi people have a responsibility to be out of the closet.

Otherwise they should quit whining about their so called invisibility.

Simon Hughes is the stereotype of a bi person that causes so much damages to the reputation of bi people.

He was dishonest, weak and hypocritical and pretended he was straight to advance hos own career, while throwing his gay opponent under the bus.

1. No

Every person has the right to decide who they do and do not want to tell about any matter of their personal life, including their orientation.

There is no right to know every other persons orientation, religion, politics, allergies, medical history etc

4. unless he was highly hypocritical in public and professional life with regards to lgbt issues, there is no way that the sun or notw could argue that his outing was in public interest.

1. Father Ted 28 Feb 2012, 3:09pm

Those with a long memory may remember that he won his seat in parliament against Peter Tatchell, possibly because there was a press campaign outing Peter. I had thought that Simon had then been outed too, not long after he won the seat, at least in the gay press. I seem to remember that, and the irony of it. Am I mistaken?

1. Suddenly Last Bummer 28 Feb 2012, 3:31pm

LMAO. It doesn’t require a press campaign to ‘out’ Peter Tatchell.

1. But when a closeted bisexual MP – Simon Hughes – uses homophobic slurs to damage his opponent Peter Tatchell, while at the same time lying about his own sexuality then he deserves everythiing he gets.

Hypocrisy and cowardice are revolting traits in someone.

2. I normally agree that “outing” is not fair or in the public interest. but we are dealing here with a man who touted himself, in the famous bye-election against Peter Tatchell (sorry: Jesus Christ), as the “straight choice” and smeared Peter rotten.

I personally therefore think that on this particular occasion he deserved what was coming to him.

Note: he apologised later. Peter T. accepted the apology. But he still deserved to be outed.

1. If the person who was in the wrong has apologised and the wronged person has accepted the apology, why is it such a big issue for other people?

1. Because politicians are supposed to be honest.

Simon Hughes lacked honesty and integrity and that is relevant information to know about an elected public representative.

1. @dAVID

Have you ever made a gross error of judgement and apologised about it, or are you perfect?

Are you saying politicians should never make mistakes (however, big or small) because if you are then I personally would prefer politicians who are real people and understand what it is to be human.

5. I had to look twice over this article. It really was 2006?
    Not 1976 or 1986?
    In 2006, The Sun was blackmailing a bi-sexual Lib Dem MP, and in 2006, a Lib Dem MP, was still in the closet?

1. Apologies to the Sun *Boak*.. I have just read about him being “the straight choice”.. Outing him was fair game.

1. i doubt that the sun cared much about hypocrisy, well not in cases involving gay issues anyway

6. Whatever the circumstances if this claim adds more weight to the case against murdoch and news intnl then then all the better.

7. de Villiers 28 Feb 2012, 4:01pm

The merits of Simon Huges and his past behaviour are irrelevant. What is concerning is that people are unable to have any privacy in their day-to-day lives.

If people are unable to live their lives without concern as to their being watched or listened-to then we may as well all live in one big prison.

Frightening.

8. Shame on anyone who has sky

1. I don’t think that’s entirely fair. I have Virgin Cable, which does have Sky channels, so shame on Virgin Customers, what about Freeview customers, Freeview having Sky as a shareholder, so shame on Freeview?

1. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 28 Feb 2012, 8:51pm
      2. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 28 Feb 2012, 8:52pm

Something going on – where’s ma drooling comment!

3. It’s about responsibility. If we hold these organisations to account then they will behave. I do not have sky or cable. I gave up meat after seeing how chickens are bread for their breasts and are so heavy they cannot walk. Pigs spend hours in hell listening to other pigs being slaughtered.

It all depends if you can live with it.

I couldn’t look at myself if I had anything to do with murdoch in my house. I live through the wapping strikes and the gay plague rubbish. The man is scum

2. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 28 Feb 2012, 8:50pm

There isn’t much option where I am to have anything other than sky (live in the sticks!) unless I go full satellite! Hate that fact, c’mon Beardie – get the cables laid – I don’t want to give this dodgy australian pr!ck anymore of my hard earned cash

1. I use TV LINKS for any programmes it free and very good

9. His sexuality as far as The Sun and this inquiry are concerned is irrelevant. But his carping does not reflect well upon him at all. He was forced out of the closet? Why is he being held up, then, as a symbol of the Liberals’ liberality? He’s a coward, who cheated his nearest and dearest even more than he did his colleagues and constituents.

10. Christians are using the private sex lives of people to black mail them. They are trying to find out who is gay and who is not by getting information on gays. They have no power to black mail gays if they come out of the closet, because then it is known. But then LGBT people become targets of the Christian hate machine that is out to destroy them. This is where LGBT people and their friends need to organize to fight them to stop them from stopping gays getting their equal rights and Civil Rights. The Gay Rights movement for Civil Rights everywhere and for all LGBT people.

1. blackmail – one word

11. Spanner1960 28 Feb 2012, 5:14pm

OK, so they forced him, which is despicable, but equally, he lied and hid behind his heterosexual family life in order to lead a life as a career politician.

There is nothing worse than a politician that hides behind his family. It happened to Jeremy Thorpe back in the ’70s and it destroyed him.

Do these people learn nothing?

1. What evidence is there to suggest he hid? He may have been very open about it to his wife and family (I doubt it would be his children’s business). I doubt it’s also on any business of anyone else. Particularly a scummy paper like the Sun. Although if you can provide me with the evidence I’ll happily eat my words.

I did also wonder when the word ‘Christian’ would pop up. Kudos to William et al who have yet again read so much more into a piece of writing than there really, actually is.

1. Spanner1960 28 Feb 2012, 6:01pm

Oh come on. If the man had any integrity whatsoever, he would have at least admitted to his indiscretions. When he was outed he blatantly lied until such point as the evidence was irrefutable. I sympathise with the man to some degree, but nevertheless, we are no longer in 50′s Britain, he should have been prepared to come clean if it all went pear-shaped, instead of blaming the press.

1. I agree to some extent. I too think it takes much more to admit to something, or even perhaps not to hide it in the first instance from the general public.
          I suppose it’s politics though. Knowing or feeling that you would become less popular because of how others may perceive your sexuality in the negative.
          Ironically we tend to love a figther in this country, an underdog who battles against the odds and perhaps if he had been more open, he may have even won the leadership of the party.
          As it happens I have no love for him either way. I think he clearly has issues with his own bisexuality and although I can understand that I can’t really agree with the way he behaved.
          But he may well have been open to most people in his private life – we can’t say whether he was or not and have to take him at his word. I also believe that the Sun was fundamentally disgusting to do this to a human being.

1. Spanner1960 29 Feb 2012, 1:33pm

Well there are numerous LGBT politicians in all the parties. I really don’t see being gay as a detrimental factor to one’s political chances.

However I do if they turn out to be a lying, cheating little sh|t that has wheedled their way into the public’s confidence. If you want any success as a politician you need to be open, honest and squeaky clean with no skeletons in your closet, because as sure as eggs is eggs, somebody will eventually find out.

2. He may have been very open about it to his wife and family

Hughes isn’t (and never has been) married, nor does he have children.

1. Spanner1960 29 Feb 2012, 1:35pm

Really? Oops. My mistake.
          I must be thinking of another closet gay politician caught with his knickers down. The trouble is there are so many I get them all mixed up.

1. Odd, I thought he was. I wonder where I got that from. I stand corrected.

12. “an account number which I believe may have boon my mobile phone account number at the time,”

I feel like I’m talking to the policeman in ‘Ello Ello’.

I have to be honest, I don’t care about his sexuality, it’s not my business. I only wish that the Sun didn’t see it as an issue either.

This does need to be stopped though, the press have gotten away with this behaviour in the past and for too long.

13. Except all this “hacking” could have been avoided if they changed the default PIN on their mobile voicemail service.

1. Yes blame the victims. You must be some sort of theif or rapist

14. GingerlyColors 29 Feb 2012, 9:02am

It is a shame that the Sun did not die with the News Of The World (which has been resurrected under a new name). It was that rag that paid £500,000 for pictures of Princess Di, encouraging paparazzi to hunt her down to her death in the hope of selling pictures for easy money. As for the comments about Hillsborough, don’t get me started on it. One of my workmates was injured in the disaster and no doubt he, along with the rest of Liverpool and their world-wide fraternity of LFC supporters would like to see the Sun cast into the dustbin of history.

1. Staircase2 29 Feb 2012, 3:54pm

Let’s not forget that two ‘telephone tapes’ they released on both Diana and Prince Charles…

It was pretty obvious at the time that both those conversations had been obtained by dubious means. What beggars belief, is that at the time this was allowed to go on unchecked…

15. Staircase2 29 Feb 2012, 3:52pm

I always used to like Simon Hughes.
    I met him once via a project I was running in 2000 for dyslexic ex-offenders when he came to present certificates for us at an end-of- course event. He was lovely. He also flirted with me.

Some few years later I bumped into him in Charing Cross and he effectively blanked me and was cold and off-hand. Around this time he also started becoming less authentic politically than he had always been before.

I wasnt surprised when he was outed. I always suspected that The Sun had pushed him into a story.

The Sun is the most disgusting & unhealthy lump of poo created on a daily basis that the UK has ever come up with.

I’m pleased that Simon has won his case against The Sun. Let’s hope that Leveson brings an end to their bully-boy tactics…

16. What a lot of gays do not know is that the Christians are made up of government agents, secret agents and police, etc and these people are networking around the world to expose all gays in their attack on LGBT people around the world. With the used of today’s technology, computers and phones they can do that along with Christians who they have been training in the art of war and psychological operations in order to destroy gays covertly by infiltrating their groups and meeting places, etc. This is for real and some of you know about this and some of you are finding out about it but many more of you need to know that this is real and happening now. When you see this happening spread the word and expose who is doing it like Simon Hughes is doing here to expose the Sun for using records to force him out as a bisexual. Sue these people and fight back against their madness every way and chance you get.

1. The Christian Institute are the CIA, people!

WHatever!

2. Now you just sound deranged.

1. That was my thought!