Police appeal after Lancashire boy, 16, has jaw broken in homophobic attack

1. Hope the young man recovers soon, what a terrible thing to happen!

2. Asian. What a surprise. I knew even even before I clicked to read.

1. Scott Lovely 24 Feb 2012, 5:32pm

I was, I expected it to be skinheads.

And Christians will still claim they are the persecuted ones, not gays. I haven’t noticed anyone beating up congregations as they leave church.

1. Where is your recent precedent for skinheads being the perpetrators?

No. Thought not.

2. Skinheads???????Are you in some 70s timewarp? skinhead has become mainstream style now.

1. It’s awful that some gay men want to look like the people who opressed them. Internalised haterd

2. GingerlyColors 25 Feb 2012, 6:25am

Nelson, like other east Lancashire towns such as Blackburn, Burnley and Colne are traditional cotton mill towns which attracted a lot of Asian migrants during the 1960’s. Nowadays we import a lot of our textiles from abroad and the mills have closed, resulting in higher than national average unemployment and these towns could do with a lot of new opportunities. The large Asian communities have suffered especially and this has led to younger Asians, many of them Muslim becoming radicalised. This still does not give them the right to behave in such a manner to members of other communities including the LGBT one. The stereotype of the racist, homophobic, anti-Semetic skinhead belongs to the National Front days of the 1970’s and early 1980’s.
      Please note that east Lancashire isn’t all that bad a place to live and beyond the dark, satanic mills there is some nice countryside.

1. Oh god, not that hoary old stereotype. It is not poverty that causes muslims to “become radicalised”. The 7/7 bombers were graduates and had jobs, the underpants bomber came from one of the richest families in Nigeria. Anjem Choudary is a solicitor but choose to be a benefits parasite. The muslim fascist party in the UK (Hizb ut Tahrir) has almost nothing but doctors and lawyers on its board of directors.

The CST noted in 2009 that at least 50% of the anti-semitic attacks in London were perpetrated by muslims or arabs. Perhaps these muslims/arabs are the skinheads to which you refer? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7831897.stm

Of course, the BBC give that piece the headline “Muslims urge end to Anti-semitism”. This is the same BBC that suppressed its own internal report on the anti-semitism in its own reporting.

1. GingerlyColors 26 Feb 2012, 5:58pm

When people feel that they are becoming disenfranchised they will turn to extremist groups. In the late 1970’s it was white youth turning to the National Front. Nowadays many young Muslims are getting seduced by extremists.

1. FranklyBewildered 26 Feb 2012, 8:31pm

and in what way exactly are they marginalised in a society that gives them everything they want? That’s rubbish.

2. I kind of agree, although I think that in a lot of cases, people choose to feel disenfranchised because they get off on self-pity. When I lived in Peckham, a majority afro-Carribbean area, lots of people there had decided that it was them against the whites and the whole of society was racist. This gave them, in their eyes, justification to hate and oppress gay people because, in their eyes, they were the oppressed. Most of these people had never experienced racism in their lives, they just liked the idea of being the victim (and, I also think, it tends to be people who have suffered from racial discrimination who are less hostile to other minorities because they understand what it’s like). I have no sympathy for any of these Islamic extremist kids. They have no idea what actual discrimination or hardship is, but have decided that they’re oppressed just so they can be self-righteous when the BBC asks them why they think its okay to behave like this.

3. gives them everything they want? Everything except social acceptance you mean, as evidenced by remarks like “Asian. I knew even before I clicked to read” above.

Isn’t it wonderful the way people who’re themselves the subject of stereotyping resort to stereotyping other minorities?

3. Oh, piss off. The answer to bigotry is not more bigotry. We don’t need the likes of you exploiting terrible attacks to further your own poisonous agenda.

Incidentally, I recall a homophobic attack that occurred about a year ago – in Leeds I think – and naturally when reports first emerged and the police did not initially release a description of the attackers, your fellow racists were out in force with comments like “oh well of COURSE they were Asian and that’s why the police aren’t saying anything, it’s POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD arghflfghgf”. Then it transpired they were white. The comments section was strangely silent that day.

3. Homophobes, Asian or not Asian, are violent insecure selfish people who can’t tolerate the freedom and the rights of others. Their answer to their lack of understanding is violence, beatings, attacks and abuse. They are not human beings. They are below worms (and at least worms have a purpose in nature, they don’t)

1. Scott Lovely 24 Feb 2012, 5:36pm

I was with you until you said they were not human beings. Your last two sentences sound just like Ssempa or Buturu or Mugabe when they are talking about gays.

They are human beings, who need to be better educated.

1. Spanner1960 24 Feb 2012, 7:13pm

No, they are sub-human and need a good thrashing.
        Bring back the Birch.

1. or sharia law for muslims only.

1. Under sharia law, they would be deemed to have done nothing wrong!

4. I hope the lad recovers quickly! Typical narrow minded religious freaks at it again.

I can imagine the conversation the Asian guys had: “Oh no, a little gayness around me. I can’t handle it! What do I do?”

1. They aren’t really religious freaks, they are bullies who sometimes hide behind the veil of religion. Another feature is that they always weigh up the opposition carefully before attacking and tend to go in only if they outnumber the victim/s.

Nelson is one of those places that people should bear in mind when they glibly criticise people who haven’t come out. It is not a nice place and has got dramatically worse over the past 20 or so years for reasons it’s probably better that I don’t go into.

2. Typical narrow minded religious freaks at it again.

How do we know they were religious freaks?

1. Agreed, talk about reading between the lines.

My personal favourite was that Christianity was about the 15th word to come up.

People want to get the rod out their rear ends and stop brandishing all religious people as bigots. The world isn’t so balck and white.

Ironically we’re persecuting people who probably aren’t that homophobic in the slightest.

5. Anti gay Christian terrorist are getting more vicious as the LGBT people gain their freedoms and rights. Travel with friends and carry protection and be ready for them so they do not harm you. Take pictures of the aggressors with you phone or carry a camera/video to make a recording of the criminals for the police and the courts for your protection and always be prepared for them now that we are winning. LGBT people winning their rights and freedoms drives the Christians around the bend, if you know what I mean;)

1. It’s not always christians, and for that matter it’s not always asians. I would be cautious about the sweeping generalisiations. In this instance they were apparently asian.
      As for the “whip out your mobile and take photos” I’d be cautious about that too.
      Even if they’re too thick to guess that you might pass their mugshots to the police, the fact that you’re on your own with a violent gang of thugs flashing your cameraphone in their faces is enough motive for them to beat you to a bloody pulp whilst nicking your phone. If you must do it, do it from a safe distance.
      When I was assaulted in the street last year by a gang of youths, my primary instinct was to get the hell out of there without them tearing me apart, not becoming the next David Bailey.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 25 Feb 2012, 6:03pm

A lot of the religious anti-gay nutters are partly responsible with their hate messages which they deny is hate inspired of course. They’re masters of playing the victim card the minute we make noise about our rights, marriage equality being the latest example and the hate filled message Lord Carey and his gang of bullies and co-conspirators on the list they’re circulating, not to mention that equally disgusting video now airing around the country made by the “christianist” institute. It’s time they were held accountable. Notice not one of them, not even the Archbishop of Canterbury ever speaks out on violence towards LGBT people? As the saying goes, silence gives consent.

6. Amanda Grant 25 Feb 2012, 5:19am

poor lad, a damn disgrace that a 16 year old boy should be beaten up by 4 men, never mind the whole homophobia thing. How threatening we must be to them that they feel this is justified…

7. GingerlyColors 25 Feb 2012, 6:12am

Yet again bullies have shown themselves to be cowards. If they cannot go round in packs, outnumbering their victims, they will hide behind a computer keyboard, trolling the internet for victims.

8. Rashid Karapiet 25 Feb 2012, 10:49am

No comment from the pathetically named JockStrap?

1. Rashid sounds like a really pathetic name to me. How far back do you have to go before you get to the point where your ancestors became enslaved by islam? Have you even read the Sira? Don’t you know that Mohammed’s biography was known to muslims for hundreds of years as “The Book of Wars”?

2. Oh no! Shock horror! I never knew an item of intimate clothing could cause such offence!

*rolls eyes*

3. Oh, look. More singular obsession.

Like we haven’t see THAT before in here….

9. Robert in S. Kensington 25 Feb 2012, 4:26pm

To digress, I see a correlation with these homophobic attacks in regard to opponents of marriage equality. Lord Carey and his gang of haters are sending a message to these criminals that treating us as second class citizens and denying us the same rights as the rest of society plants a seed in the minds of those so inclined to use that information and take to committing acts of violence against us. They too are responsbile in some way. I don’t think this could be construed as paranoia on my part.

10. Right, firstly stop with the religious = homophobic bigot tune – it’s really been played to death and smacks of generalisation. There are many good religious people who have NO issue whatsoever with gay men and women.

The pink press such as PN here reports on those that do because it makes a good story and many of you are gullible enough to take it as gospel (see what I did there?).

Secondly, I have little interest in why these lads attacked this poor kid. I don’t care about social/economic deprivation of disenfranchisement. Hell, my family had nothing growing up and there were times we went without food (talking 15 years ago here) but I didn’t take my frustrations out on anyone because it was the way I was brought up by my mum.

They committed a crime, they deserve the punishment. This poor kid (and his sister) are going to have a lot of issues getting over this attack.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 27 Feb 2012, 12:34pm

I never generalised about religion, read my post again. I said in my first post…”a lot of religious nutters”, not all of them. I’m quite capable of discerning between the good ones and the bad ones thank you very much. If I’d said “all” of them, then your criticism would have been justified. The problem is not one major religious leader has condemned it, and they should. I wouldn’t expect it from the Roman or Islamic cults, but the C of E, I’d have thought Rowan Williams would have had a little decency to condemn the violence, in this case against a gay youth.

As for the marriage equality issue, I stand by my argument. There IS a correlation. Nobody can convince me otherwise. Look at their millenia old tradition of denigration, villification and dehumanisation of gay people. Loving the sinner hating the sin nonsense is nothing more than hypocrisy and offencive.

1. Firstly, you’re one of the many on this site that loves to have a dig about those who are religious. Please don’t try and dig yourself out a hole that you and some others clearly put yourself in.

Also why should Rowan Williams condemn this? Is it in his interests to persue violence against LGBT people? No! Your point makes sense – it’s like asking Margaret Thatcher to protect trade unions?

I’m not religious myself but am I really the only one to see the hypocrisry between on one hand screaming about how the LGBT community is treated and then on the other doing the same to those that have a faith? Who are we to piss on their beliefs and yet cry when they do it to us?

Also, this story has nothing to do with marriage equality. I feel it’s both disrespectful, opportunistic and actually a little bit pointless to compare marriage equality to the attack of a 16yr old.

Finally, people are not primarly here to crusade for LGBT rights.

1. I also understand that there is a lot of injustice towards LGBT people. I am happy that these issues are challanged but we need to get some perspective and stop playing the discrimination card so readily other situations which ‘could be’ and focus on those that ‘are’ like this abysmal attack.