Broadcasters pull Paddy Power ‘spot the trans lady’ ad

1. <>
    Yet somehow it continues to be upheld as a representative body of support, and perpetuates as the go-to voice of opinion on all things trans in the popular media.
    ENOUGH! Out with them!!!! If I didn’t know better I’d call it conspiracy. Media outlets need to know just what cretins they truly are!

1. Another Hannah 24 Feb 2012, 10:31am

I can’t join facebook because I don’t like they invasion of privacy and junk mail. They won’t let you join without unfortunately!!! Best wishes.

1. Paddyswurds 24 Feb 2012, 11:36am

@Hannah…
          …”I can’t join facebook because I don’t like they invasion of privacy and junk mail. They won’t let you join without unfortunately!!!”

Don’t know where you got this rubbish because it is utter crap, frankly. When you join facebook , you give them only the info you want to and nothing else The only two things they need from you is your name and that could be anything and an e.mail address which can be discarded after you complete the signup process. You wont get email or as you so quaintly put it junk mail if you discard the e.mail address when signed up. Even if you didn’t you can stop anything you don’t like by taking a few minutes to edit the privacy and account SETTINGS.. Your attitude to a fantastic social network site is based on hearsay and your own laziness and nothing more.

1. I don’t join Facebook because I’ve got better things to do with my life. Don’t abuse people simply because you don’t agree with their reasoning. Having misconceptions about Facebook isn’t a crime!!

1. DJ Sheepiesheep 24 Feb 2012, 12:14am

When I was discovering myself about 20 years ago I tried various support groups. I can say quite categorically that the Beaumont Society was the least relevant for M2F transsexuals. As I recall, their meeting consisted of a bunch of bearded men sitting around in floral dresses smoking pipes and discussing how to change the clutch on a Ford Cortina. How they have the gall to seek to represent all trans folk is beyond me.

1. Spanner1960 24 Feb 2012, 7:47am

Sorry, I had to laugh at that. I had visions of Graham Chapman and the Pythons..

1. Another Hannah 24 Feb 2012, 10:12am

The beaumont society are worse than this, that’s how they look, but they are largely ex-forces and sit around taliking about engines and lorries, and aeroplanes…..

1. lol if this wasn’t so close to the truth it would be funny.

2. Another Hannah 24 Feb 2012, 9:59am

When I had trouble doing am dram, we had just completed a production where I was in the female chorus, but did two small male parts as well, and then suddenly they said everything must be done as a male. THE BEAMONT SOCIETY ARRIVED SAYING THIS WAS RIGHT AND AS IT SHOULD BE, when we all know that to absolutely politically correct I should only be doing female stuff. They destroyed a reasonable working progressive arrangement. I have done non am dram since thanks to them. Where are the figures stating how many out transsexuals they have, and how many closeted transvestitite’s?

1. Another Hannah 24 Feb 2012, 10:06am

Also when I was at University, (Lancaster doing a BA Hons Theatre Studies), I was looking at the am dram groups, there were four plays, one on Warhol included a transsexual part. I was experienced and better qualified than the other students being a mature student. I got no part, but felt that given that one of the parts was a transsexual, I was OK that a heterosexual was given that part, but felt it was outrageous that I wasn’t at least given something. Again the Beamont society were there saying no, it was fine that heterosexuals played a trans part and a trans person was left entirely out in the cold. I left my course after this and have now been on Incap for about six years, and am likely to be on the dole for the rest of my natural now, despite being well enough experienced and qualified to get onto the no4 drama degree in the country!!! Thanks Beaumont society.

2. Another Hannah 24 Feb 2012, 10:10am

Despite being out, and at home and having a family that own and rent a number of properties, I now entirely keep away from trans groups and communities, and don’t hold meeting or any other such things at home or help the trans community personally, and the reason for this is that I don’t want any more nagative comments or interference form the Baumonmt society. I pursue and am just completeing an OU degree, last cours in music, but his is unlikely to lead to any kind of meaningful life as I am now getting on…….

3. BurstBalloon 16 May 2012, 11:37am

As someone who has been gender reassigned for over 10 years I would not have anything to do with the Beaumont Society.There are a lot of people like me who feel the same. They should stick to supporting crossdressers which is about all they are good at.
      You would think that they would know better than to advise on a media advert when adverts in the past have never shown “trans” people in a good light.

2. Further proof, (as if it were needed) that the sickeningly out-of-touch Beaumont Society is in no way representative or supportive of the trans* community, and invariably conducts itself in a manner which is in fact detrimental to the lives and experience of trans* folk everywhere.

1. I hadn’t heard of the Beaumont Society until I read articles here saying how (1) they released the news report about the pregnant trans man (apparently without permission) and (2) they said the advert, which mis-genders trans women and encourages people to forcibly out them, is ok. Who are these people and why are they considered a voice for the community? They sound like the opposite of what we need. Do they do anything useful to mitigate the rest of their behaviour?

2. Another Hannah 24 Feb 2012, 10:16am

See my response above, they actually will in some circumstances be really nasty and destructive as they think women should be how they were in the 1950’s, and they’re anti-gay, loads of us had to leave the beamont society years ago to force them to allow gays (I was a member for about three years when I was very young, starting in my teens…). They are very anti transsexual and try as hard as they can to keep their members in the closet, I knwo because they held me back for perhaps 10 years – that just isn’t moral.

3. Paddyswurds 24 Feb 2012, 11:51am

..when i was a lot younger than i am now i became aware of the Beaumont Society as a private club and refuge for cross dressers. This info was probably gleaned from such gay sources as Gay Times and Attitude.
      Bwt I am not a cross dresser but I have no problem with it . I dragged up once in July 1969 to go to a ball that used to be held every year somewhere in Knightbridge ( i think it was run by Danny La Rue) and had a great night but that was a one off because i was in the Merchant Navy at the time.
      It’s interesting to note now that it has been hijacked by the Trans crowd, who seem to now be determined to destroy an ancient, well, old anyway, institution that supported and advised men, bearded or not who were cross dressers, but who were probably both gay and straight… and who probably were from all walks of life including car mechanics and pipe smokers. Typical of the whinging Trans crowd to foement dissent…how telling.

1. Another Hannah 24 Feb 2012, 1:40pm

Your comprehension is weak Paddy – you saw the peole like me who were in the Beaumont society but moderate. They were and are far more homophobic than the general population. Incidentally I have recently been getting fit with a fitness instructor, and I look forward to using my heavy reading, strong self-discipline, and extremely high levels of ability against the government to cause them as much trouble and difficulty as I can. I now at my time of life have nothing to loose – there is nothing that will affect my position to any extent. The weather is getting better so time to start occupying and God knows what else. Don’t you think it would be cheaper to just treat me and the other smart self-disciplined working class kids fairly? I’m certainly going to be as vindictive as posible about being treated unfairly – even if that means having to break the law and the government having to spend thousands of pounds doing God knows what to me!!!! So efficient these nasty governments!!!!

3. Glad to hear this advert has been taken off.

This article needs proof-reading – incorrect apostrophe use.

4. “Finally it is worth pointing out that the commercial, which went live on YouTube less than one week ago, has almost 250,000 views with more ‘likes’ than ‘dislikes’.”
    – This is why Transgender people are a minority. And I don’t think saying that it has more likes than dislikes is a good enough excuse- the majority of people that liked the video are either uneducated or transphobic.
    There is nothing funny about this advert, it quite simply adds to the struggle of minority groups in the UK and encourages hatred and transphobic hate crimes.
    Paddy Power, I also suggest you take a look at the rates of suicide amongst trans people- because your advert could be adding to it.
    Shame on you.

5. Who are this beaumont society? Are they an anti trans group? How could anyone who is not anti trans read the script and approve it. And how did it get past the Clearcast in the first place? Must have been a Dog that approved it.

1. Another Hannah 24 Feb 2012, 10:19am

They are mostly ex-forces closeted transvestites. They are anti-transsexual, gay and bisexual, despite actually claining to represent transsexuals. I was a menber for a few years in my teens. They were the nastiest group I have ever encountered apart from psychiatric nurses – I trained as a psychiatric nurse in my early twenties.

6. Paula Thomas 23 Feb 2012, 3:25pm

I don’t know what I find more shocking the idea that this advert was in any way acceptable or that the Beaumont Society in any way represents trans people let alone is a leading representative!!

Good to see the ad getting binned though.

7. de Villiers 23 Feb 2012, 3:26pm

> “Finally it is worth pointing out that the commercial, which went live on YouTube less than one week ago, has almost 250,000 views with more ‘likes’ than ‘dislikes’.”

That is a minor point. If the deep level of upset felt by ten people was greater than the mild amusement felt by 200,000 people, then pure numbers fail to assist.

8. Paddy Power’s reaction to the ad being pulled is quite telling.

The advert was clearly created to cause offence, and Paddy Power have no regrets about the advert.

Bear that in mind the next time you fancy a flutter on the gee gees.

William Hill all the way!

9. “250,000 views with more ‘likes’ than ‘dislikes’.”

Yes – that’s why we have laws to protect minorities against bullying by the majority.

Whoever is handling Paddy Power’s PR should be sacked. That statement is shameful.

10. glad its been pulled. ‘surprised and dissapointed’ wish i could say the same thing. having more likes than dislikes means nothing either as i said in my last post on the topic trans rights are a little behind gay rights. that argument literaly uses the fact that they are a minority against them.

why cant they just say sorry, that it was a massive error of judgement instead of standing by it despite clearly upsetting women??

1. Another Hannah 24 Feb 2012, 10:40am

a little behind gay right? sorry here chris don’t you mean massively behind gay rights?

1. chris lowercase 28 Feb 2012, 12:24am

im so darn polite i even express a bit of modesty on somebody elses part, but to be honest… yes thats exactly what i mean.

11. glad its been taken off. however I think there is lots of confusion around trans issues. there is a big difference between people born transexual (their body is physically a different gender from how they identify) and the umbrella term transgender which i take to include cross dressers. I think this advert was very offensive to transwomen as they are women not men. whereas cross dressing men are men who like to dress in women’s clothes and may not have been offended by the ad. I think men who cross dress are no different to women who wear trousers its just this is more social acceptable (nowadays).

12. proudtrans 23 Feb 2012, 6:25pm

It’s very disappointing to see all this hate aimed at the Beaumont Society. They do great work for the T community and deserve our support. Paddy Power is one of the very few companies to take trans people seriously, recognizing we’re not just a tiny, insignificant minority. This is the thanks they get.

1. So what exactly DO they do then proudtrans? I for one would love to know. Other than sharing sensational stories with the press from those who have actually been able to access any kind of ‘support’ (apparently something of an anomaly) which, without the express permission of the individuals concerned should have been kept in confidence. And of course condoning the ridicule and de-humanisation of those for whom it purports to advocate? Oh, and holding ‘Ladies’ Luncheons’.?
      Please, do tell.

1. I came cross the Beaumont Society about 20 years ago when trying help a male friend; they were a very secretive lot and exclusively for transvestites.

2. Another Hannah 24 Feb 2012, 10:33am

It is very dissapointing to see all this hate by the Beaumont society aimed at the rest of us – do you really think we would just forget really nasty spiteful acts against those that aren’t closeted, right wing and straight?

13. floridahank 23 Feb 2012, 7:44pm

I think it would be an interesting “test”
    to see how many people responded and correctly picked out the faces of the the differences. Perhaps this would show that physical differences do indeed show up. Might learn what kinds of medical/physical indicators are not working properly.

14. Sister Mary Clarence 23 Feb 2012, 7:53pm

I’m not trans, so don’t claim to be an expert her, but I would have thought that the Cheltenham Festival would be a living nightmare if any trans person who unwittingly happens along to it this year as a result of these ads.

I’m kind of feeling that spot the black, spot the cripple, or even spot the gay would probably rightly have been a non-starter.

1. Christine Beckett 24 Feb 2012, 9:55am

I understand that Paddy Power were also going to run an “on-the-ground” campaign at the meetings, asking punters to spot the Paddy Power transgendered ladies.

So yes, it would have been a nightmare, and possibly worse, had those punters picked on someone who was there just for the racing.

2. Another Hannah 24 Feb 2012, 10:35am

Can imagine the women in floods of tears because some misogenist hought she looked like a man?!!! What on earth were they thinking about???

15. I am a 29 years old lady,mature and beautiful. and now i am seeking a good man who can give me real love, so i got a username josedvilla on — Agelover.СòM —, a nice and free place for younger women and older men,or older women and younger men, to interact with each other.Maybe you wanna check out or tell your friends.

1. Dr Robin Guthrie 24 Feb 2012, 2:31am

P!ss off.

Pay for your adverts.

2. Another Hannah 24 Feb 2012, 10:36am

This isn’t the place for that kind of stuff

16. theotherone 24 Feb 2012, 9:52am

oh go home transphobe.

17. Christine Beckett 24 Feb 2012, 9:53am

1. Christine Beckett 24 Feb 2012, 9:55am

Ooops. that was supposed to be a reply to Sister Mary Clarence’s post… How did it get here?

18. essexgirlbecky 24 Feb 2012, 9:56am

Your post has been reported to the Metropolitan Police as an offence under section 127 of the Communications Act 2003. A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable, on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale, or to both. Have a nice day!

19. Another Hannah 24 Feb 2012, 10:39am

Your an ignorant half-wit, and you don’t know what your taliking about. Get back to your sty.

20. You obviously have no education and your bigotry and prejudices are quite clear. Go and do some scientific research on Transexuality and come back and then make an informed,educated statement. I’ll even buy you some new crayons so you may take notes.

No transperson “chooses” this life, we’re degraded,mocked,alienated,murdered,assualted, raped and tortured. Why would anyone “choose” this life, we don’t choose it anymore than we choose the colour of our eyes.

Also, I recommend that you take up an English course as your spelling and grammar are awful, it makes you look even more of an idiot than you do already, if that’s at all possible.

1. Much help is also availlable to those wishing to improve their spelling skills.

21. Well first of all I don’t recognise the beaumont society as a group that represent transsexual people, they represent crossdressers only. secondly well done for getting that foul advert removed!!

22. you knob, go away and learn what its really like to be trans. I do not have a mental disorder or a fetish. in fact I have no sex drive at all so how can it be a fetish!! you are unreal..

23. Did anyone consider for a second that the last thing a lot of t-girls want is attention drawn to them? Hilarious as this may seem to some (and I can’t fathom whom), nobody seemed to take into account how petrifying and demoralising it can be for a trans woman to be publicly outed. Perhaps Paddy Power could have consulted Trans Media Watch, a trans society specifically designed to monitor trans representation in the media, first? Angry beyond words – thanks a fricking lot.