MPs condemn media hunt for trans man who gave birth

1. Thank you Caroline! About time too. I am
    Proud to have voted for her in the general election. She has been nothing but a credit to her constituents. the sun’s behaviour in this case as others has been nothing short of appalling, and echoes a similar push for ‘outing’ of gay and lesbian people not so very long ago by the red-top press.

2. Helen Wilson 21 Feb 2012, 11:31am

Well done Caroline Lucas, just one of reasons why I moved from red to green is the uncompromised support of LGBTQI issues demonstrated by the Green party.

3. Dangermouse 21 Feb 2012, 11:38am

I really dont know what the fuss is about, after all the Sun is a liberal minded, fair newspaper that is very gay/trans friendly and after all it is in the nations interest to find out all they can about this person, just in case hes a pregnant arab terrorist, hell bent on destroying the insitution of marrage and makeing a mockery of the very gay friendly religious supporters of gay rights in the UK, like the Catholic church.

1. theotherone 21 Feb 2012, 12:20pm

I think we need to know.

1. theotherone 21 Feb 2012, 1:58pm

judging from the negative votes this comment has got I feel i must clarify – I was being sarcastic.

2. jamestoronto 21 Feb 2012, 4:02pm

Why do we NEED to know? To what end?

4. If she wants to have a child whilst acting like a man she will simply have to deal with it. She cannot have her cake and eat it.

1. theotherone 21 Feb 2012, 12:20pm

and I’m sure you would have said the same about Gay people who DARED to work with children who where routinely outed a few years ago or is it one rule for you, one rule for anyone you hate.

2. I was trying to think of a cleverly worded reply to this but I think I’ll just settle for ‘ignorant bigot’.

1. Nice ad hom.

1. It’s strange how many people misunderstand the principles of rhetorical logic. The ad hominem fallacy covers attacks based on characteristics irrelevant to the argument (e.g. “your views on abortion are void because you are ugly”). However, the ignorance and bigotry demonstrated by your comment are integrally relevant here – therefore, Sarah’s comment does not constitute ad hominem fallacy.

5. Paddyswurds 21 Feb 2012, 12:04pm

No wonder the country is in the mess it is if this is the sort of thing taxing the minds of our MPs. Is this not something that should be handled by the PCC or even the police if there is harassment involved. Would ex Stoops leader Durkins time not be better spent trying to alleviate the horrendous unemployment situation in his constituency back in Ireland. How many EDMs has he tabled in his efforts to this end? Non? I didn’t think so.

1. theotherone 21 Feb 2012, 12:08pm

I’m sure you would just reintroduce conscription eh paddy? That sorted them out in the past.

Oh and tell them to get a hair cut.

6. i have issues with trans men giving birth but i also have issues with tabloids’ sadistic pursuit of people for no other reason then just to titillate its readers

1. Agreed. Im not sure someone who’s had massive hormone treatment should be having a baby, but that doesn’t mean their life should be made a public mockery.

1. Jennie Kermode 21 Feb 2012, 10:30pm

The medical understanding is that a pregnancy like this does not present risks to the child. Trans men who want to get pregnant stop taking testosterone first so their levels are low during pregnancy and there is no reason why the fact they have had treatment in the past would effect the development of the child.

7. Its evident those involved want privacy. Will the Sun stand up and hold themselves legally liable for the the fallout of their endeavour? I’m sure they won’t, which makes them beyond irresponsible in what they are doing. Shame on the Sun.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 21 Feb 2012, 3:36pm

Thank you, Caroline Lucas. What can we expect from a bloody Rupert Murdoch rag? That man should be barred from owning anything in the UK and thrown in jail for the recent and ongoing phone hacking scandal. He’s the owner of a

1. Robert in S. Kensington 21 Feb 2012, 3:38pm

He’s the owner of that awful right wing Fox News channel in America, the channel that peddles false information favouring the right wing agenda. It’s CEO, Roger Ailes, had bullet proof windows installed in his office for fear of gay terrorists. Can you imagine the paranoia going on there?

8. I hope that someting odes come from the move by the MP Caroline Lucas and good for her to raise it.

The Sun are clearly not listening to anything that is being discussed at the Leeveson Inquiry.

It was reported in Monday’s Metro that the trans-man in question gave an interview to the Daily Mail (of all papers) who kept his identity a secret (which he requested) as many people did not know he was trans. Whether this is correct or not remains to be seen. However, he still has his right to privacy which should remain firmly in place until such time he is ready (if ever) to reveal his identity.

1. Black Hawk Down 21 Feb 2012, 2:29pm

He was apparently door stepped by the Mail after the paper discovered his identity. I think he had no choice to be interviewed, otherwise they would have disclosed his identity.

1. Poor man, that really is an invasion of privacy if it does turn out to be true and again shame on the Daily Mail, not learning enyting from Leeveson either

2. Yes I have it from a very reliable source that he was door stepped by the Mail and despite him telling them where to get off and refusing point blank to answer any of their questions they told him they would be running a story with or without his cooperation. He made it quite clear that he didn’t want his story published, he made it quite clear that he wasn’t out as trans and that this could have devastating effects on his life. They went ahead regardless. This poor man has had his personal life and his child’s personal life jeopardised because of this gossipy intrusive rag.

9. Stephen Glasgow 21 Feb 2012, 1:41pm

Shame on the Sun. This person is a private individual, not a public figure. Their identity is no-one’s business and I fail to see how it is possibly in the public interest to invade that privacy.
    That said, The Sun wouldn’t be so keen if there wasn’t a market for it, so those who buy that drivel are equally as guilty!

10. while i think the story could help the cause, i believe strongly that the hunting down, and invasion in privacy will not.

if this woman wanted to be named we would have her story by now. instead her privacy is likely to be sold by somebody else. unless more MPs get behind this and stop the sun.

1. HIS privacy, not hers. He is a man.

1. Paddyswurds 21 Feb 2012, 4:11pm

No , she absolutely is not a man. She just gave birth and men do not have wombs or ovaries. A man has a penis and a pair of testicles, neither of which she possesses and never will. She simply had a double mastectomy and started calling herself a man ,period. She doesn’t even take the required testosterone to help her grow body hair because she wanted it both ways.
        This whole so called men having babies thing is sick and those advocating it are just as sick. where will it end one wonders. Oh and by the way I am a committed Atheist in case the screamers think my opposition is religion based. It is not and neither is my opposition to abortion on demand and abortion used as a means of contraception. It simply isn’t human. One wonders how long till we have the first “man” having an abortion…..

1. Commander Thor 21 Feb 2012, 6:32pm

So if you lose your precious penis and testicles in an accident or due to disease, you will stop being a man?

You bloody idiot.

Gender identity is determined in the brain structure.

1. Paddyswurds 22 Feb 2012, 11:12am

@You Are an even bigger idiot than anyone had imagined. . Your comment just made my point Can you even read? I said just because she got her boobs cut off didn’t make her a man any more than if i lost my man bits would make me a woman. Sheesh talk about sheer stupidity. I would just be a man who lost his tackle.

2. And what would the problem be if a man had an abortion? Maybe you think the world would end? You have serious issues with trans. Why is that?

1. Paddyswurds 22 Feb 2012, 11:23am

@James E….
            … ….I don’t have a problem with Trans. I just call it as I see it, and right now I see you as a sub human who has no problem murdering the Unborn for trivial reasons. Almost one billion babies are murdered in the womb every year for no other reason than they were simply unwanted. some women having as many abortions as five in their miserable lifetimes. No other animal on this planet treats it unborn in this barbarous way. You are despicable in that as a man you support this barbarity.

2. Why use female pronouns, he clearly identifies as male. Referring to him as a women is dreadful!

1. Paddyswurds 21 Feb 2012, 4:13pm

I can start calling myself a cat, but that won’t make me a cat, will it?

1. Commander Thor 21 Feb 2012, 6:33pm

No it will make you an idiot. No wait, don’t bother with the cat thing.

2. Why would you want to start calling yourself a cat? Do you feel like a cat?

3. Sarah Brown 21 Feb 2012, 3:20pm

Your first paragraph is superficially supportive, but your second is horribly transphobic. Why would you do that?

11. Glad something is being done about this.

12. Jennie Kermode 21 Feb 2012, 10:33pm

I find it sad that some people in this comments thread have difficulty understanding that a man might want to be a parent.

1. And now he’s a mother.

(Because he certainly ain’t a father).

1. The problem is not that a man wants to be a parent.

The problem lies in the fact that a man wants to become a mother.

13. I am a 29 years old lady,mature and beautiful. and now i am seeking a good man who can give me real love, so i got a username josedvilla on — Agelover.СòM —, a nice and free place for younger women and older men,or older women and younger men, to interact with each other.Maybe you wanna check out or tell your friends.

14. I genuinely do not understand this concept of transmen getting pregnant and I find it very difficult to support their ’cause’ (whatever it is).

Yes I agree that transpeople deserve protection from discrimination and violence and should be allowed to have gender reassignment and hormone treatment on the NHS (not breast enhancement as hormones give that, and a transwoman has no more right to a breast enlargement on the NHS than a flat chested woman does).

Pregnancy however is a uniquely female experience. Men have NEVER been able to have children – we lack the ovaries and the womb and those vital pieces of internal plumbing to either get pregnant or give birth.

So now we have this trans ‘man’ who we are told identifies and presents himself as male. Yet ‘he’ gets pregnant. Which seems at odds with his trans-identity. Why would someone who identifies as male even consider pregnancy. Biologically of course he can (as can transwomen father children before they transition).

1. He’s had a double mastectomy (as do some women with breast cancer), but otherwise aside from in his own head he is physically a woman (and even within his own head he cannot really identify as male, as men do not get pregnant – plus he is now a mother – you know that female role in most children’s lives).

If gender is solely about what is happening in the head then fine.

I then fail to see the need for ANY type of surgery. Why do transpeople bother with all that dangerous, invasive surgery when identifying as and dressing up as the opposite gender would seem to suffice.

It’s too confusing and quite frankly I wish this man/mother story had not been revealed as it is simply too confusing and does not paint a very good image of what transpeople are looking for.

1. Paddyswurds 22 Feb 2012, 11:36am

@dAVID…
        …get ready for the stream of screaming minnies accusing you of everything from the Holocaust to the Japanese tsunami and every other crime they can think of . You have said everything and more that I have been saying for days and got the vilest of abuse for. This whole thing is just simply sick and i agree it is no business of the media but it is still sick. I pity the resultant children……

1. Well Paddy – I suspect the response given to you may be somewhat related to the tone you have used in your replies.

But I genuinely don’t understand this.

OK physically this ‘man’ can get pregnant.

And gender is in the mind and not just the body as we are repeatedly reminded by the trans community.

I identify as male, and my brain and physical body match. However if I was a man in my mind and had a female physical body then I should imagine I would not want to physically bear a child as bearing children is a uniquely female experience. And if I decided to get pregnant then isn’t that accepting that I am female.

If the trans community is asking us to allow them to self-identify as they wish then fine. But if they start asking the wider population to discard all gender identifiers ie to willingly accept that a ‘man’ has just given birth through ‘his’ vagina to a child, then they really are doing their community no favours. People just won’t understand it

1. Transpeople may decide to not get surgery on their genitals for many reasons, and for FTMs they are often waiting to hope that a better surgery technique comes along (the results at the moment can provide a very small penis that will generally need several surgeries to get the function of one). There is also a risk of loss of sensation, and some people once they get comfortable enough with their body that they can live their lives they often just want to leave it there. After all, it’s major surgery and if you can live as you are it may not be worth it at that time for you. (That’s my understanding anyway?)
            I assume this person is keeping the child for the same reason people do not want abortions. He got pregnant and kept the child. I’m sure that is distressing enough on its own to him without the papers starting this ‘witch-hunt’. He’s just living his life. Painting some simpler, rose-tinted picture ‘for their community’… what is that? These are real people, you know.