Emma Watson: Papers asked if short hair meant I was gay

1. I thought this was a news website.

This is not a news story.

It’s not even a gossip story.

It’s a completely nothing story.

I guess there’s a celebrity involved though so actually being newsworthy is irrelevant.

1. You know how the Guardian, Newspaper* of the year, has sections on culture, lifestyle, family, money, travel etc?

Well……..

*There’s a clue here

1. I don’t think the Guardian has sunk so low as to do a story about an actress being asked if she was a lesbian because of a haircut.

This ‘story’ is emply noise – nothing more.

1. Tina Holmboe 21 Feb 2012, 11:10am

Alternatively you could read the story as “The mainstream press is STILL nuts, and we have much work to do”

Up to you.

1. Or you could say ‘Pink News is so short on stories that they are now stooping to lifting empty bags of nothing from the mainstream press to create stories.’

2. Spanner1960 21 Feb 2012, 2:50pm

dAVID: “This ‘story’ is emply noise – nothing more.”

Much like most of your posts on here.

1. i dont agree with david, in fact i rarely agree with david. but he shouldn’t be discouraged from giving his opinion.

2. What ghastly newspaper asked Emma this crass question?

Surely this story is pointless without this vital information.

I agree with David’s point.

3. the fact that tabloid journalists often resort to playground speculations is not (new) news to me. still glad it has been posted here though. i dunno, maybe if the public express their concerns on such methods the papers might be convinced to grow up a bit. due to past and present events that idea probably seems foolish. but it would be far worse to ignore it.

the fact that we dont have a name does not help though. it would be more of a story if we could talk about the daily mail, leigh journal, or as far as we know it could even be pink news.

4. It’s not gossip. It’s demonstrating that stereotyping is still alive and well in 2012.

1. I quite agree.

2. Is it pointless realising that in 2012 a short hair cut for a woman means she’s a lesbian? or talking about gay rights and antibullying for a man means he’s gay?
    Used your head people. Please.

3. It’s Eating Disorders Awareness Week, and there is quite a lot of news associated with body image which is often a cause of anorexia and other disorders. That might be the reason for the story about Emma Watson. Also Gok Wan talks about teens’ body image in his Channel 4 series.

1. What has a haircut got to do with Body Image?

1. Hair is part of body.

1. If it was Emma who had an issue with her hair then I could (just about) understand, but it’s not – it’s the idiotic press.

And it would make more sense to actually talk about EDs and weight during Eating Disorders Awareness week rather than haircuts and lesbianism.

4. Surely the real story is: which backward journalist and/or newspaper still thinks that short hair on a woman is a sign she might be gay.

5. Robert in S. Kensington 21 Feb 2012, 12:16pm

Doesn’t really say much about the media does it? Who would think in 21st century Britian, journalists and reporters are still living in the dark ages? I’m surprised they haven’t asked Judi Dench if she’s a lesbian. She’s had short hair for decades. These people need to grow up instead of acting like the immature people they are.

1. jamestoronto 21 Feb 2012, 3:21pm

Exactly. If nothing else this is but another example of how some in the media will reach to create a news story where none exists just for the sake of it. The reporter(s) involved clearly showed their own shortcomings as journalists. They lack the abilities and drive to undertake real investigative journalism so they have to concentrate on this sort of fluff. Gossip columnists are notorious for starting the gossip in the first place.

6. Christine McQueen 21 Feb 2012, 5:26pm

Actually, this story (though I’ve heard about it before) does point up the fact that too many people still judge by appearance. “If a woman has ‘extremely’ short hair, she must be a lesbian.” Never mind the fact that long hair is simply a ‘pain in the ass’ to take care of. Just like 30-40 years ago it was “any guy who wore his hair long must be gay or ‘want to be a woman’.” It’s ridiculous and something that is no one’s business but the person who has chosen to either grow their hair long or cut it off.

7. Mary Flying Eagle 21 Feb 2012, 6:31pm

Woe is me, A woman is not free to wear her hair as she decides.What the hell? I do feel this type casting is well worth printing to our community. Emma I feel bad for you, many reporters are numb dumb jerks, and you got a dilly. From another point of view ,you were subjected first person, to the Bigot fueled Witch Hunts we face daily.Side note, some of the most full on dykes I know sport very long hair. I wear my hair short, and it’s no one’s damn business. Of couse I am not Emma Watson, so likely will not make the news.

8. Ye gods…Saying that when I had my hair cut short in November I made it clear that it was nothing to do with me coming out as a lesbian that I’d done a year before. Not that anyone in my family assumed such a thing.

I’vr had my hair both long (very long at times) and short. I had it cut because firstly I was going from black to brown and so it speeds the change of colour because of how often you cut it to keep it short. But also because I was simply fed-up of long hair. It had been long for over 10 years!!!

Some people are just so incredibly narrow minded.

My first assumption was that Emma wanted to separate herself from Hermione Granger and also to grow up. It makes it easier for her to get more grown up roles if she cuts it. One day she’ll probably re-grow it again once the dust as settled with HP…If that ever happens!

1. My hair’s long and has been for years, but I was discussing different shorter hairstyles with my hairdresser and asked if she thought short hair would suit me. She replied, “I think so, but you don’t want to go too short else people will think you’re a lesbian”!

I had to bite my lip so I didn’t burst out laughing! :D Or maybe I should have just said “I AM a lesbian” – but the shock might have made her mess up my trim :D

Stereotypes – alive and well in 21st century Britain.

1. Had the same happen to me recently! I was discussing getting a different style, perhaps mid length or shorter with a stylist and got a similiar response. My partner who came to same place for cut was sent to barbers section! She is not butch at all, just has short hair. The woman cutting mine said” you see if you got too short people will think you are a lezza like her and you don’t want that. Thank god my our flatmate has returned from his fabulous travels!

9. Christopher Hobe Morrison 22 Feb 2012, 6:06am

Who cares whether she’s gay unless you expect to sleep with her. What counts is she looks really good with short hair just as she does with longer hair. She always looks HOT! She also acts really well! What more can you ask for?

10. What abysmal stereotyping – and quite sexist too, I doubt whether anyone these days would ask, say, Ross Noble if the length of his hair signified a sexual orientation. Disgraceful.

European women started cutting their hair short after WWI. Nearly a century later it would seem some people’s attitudes haven’t moved on at all, in fact have gone backwards if anything.

11. Suddenly Last Bummer 22 Feb 2012, 10:27am

Re: ‘Surely the real story is: which backward journalist and/or newspaper still thinks that short hair on a woman is a sign she might be gay’. I’d put it down to journalistic tactics, see if they can bait Emma Watson with some comment about sexuality and then they have a headline albeit a pointless empty one.

12. how PATHETIC that a girl can.t have a shrt hr style without some ppl assumin she.s a lezbo ! UNBELIEVABLE !