Delay puberty for children with gender doubts, My Transsexual Summer star says

1. Hear hear. I wish I’d been taught about this when I was 10.

1. Me too.

2. Elizabeth Baldwin 21 Feb 2012, 1:39am

me too

3. God yes. I “knew”. My parents definitely knew but didn’t want to accept and under the influence ot the fvcked up psychology of the time thought they could “cure” me. The “cure” did more damage than the “problem”. Puberty blockers & education are the only humane way to deal with this.

2. Helen Wilson 20 Feb 2012, 6:04pm

I knew who I was aged 4…hormone blockers are a temporary solution they just delay the secondary sex characteristics developing during puberty. This gives the child the space between the age of 10 and 16 to decide what he or she wants to be without being lumbered with what puberty gives them. They have been using this treatment on trans kids in the Netherlands for ten years with no problems.

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSlEScXUK70

1. Makes perfect sense, but the Netherlands is decades ahead of backward britain with equality/human/civil rights.

3. Christine Beckett 20 Feb 2012, 6:26pm

Nice idea, and a huge WELL DONE to Drew-Ashlyn and Kingston University… :-)

4. pinkbottles 20 Feb 2012, 7:01pm

I don’t like it

1. Commander Thor 20 Feb 2012, 7:22pm

Don’t effing take the jabs then. Idiot.

2. Joseph Adam 20 Feb 2012, 11:07pm

It makes me nervous because when I was about 7 I used to wish I could be a girl. I’ve grown up to identify as a gay male & I am perfectly happy with that.

I guess it’s just tricky to tell the difference between a male who wants to participate in traditional female activities & a child who actually identifies as the opposite sex to which they where born.

But I guess this is why the jab to hold off pubity is important, so they can make the decision @ a more mature age.

1. Well, I wished I could be the girl everyone around my claimed I was when I was a child – it would have made my childhood a lot less miserable. But I just wasn’t.
        I think people get confused a lot because of this “X *wants* to be Y” narrative when *wanting* (at least in my case) is just the wrong word. i *wanted*to be an astronaut, a cowboy, and even Captain Kirk. But I never *wanted* to be a boy – I just was despite my family telling my I’m not.

2. Christine Beckett 21 Feb 2012, 5:23pm

Well, the whole point is that these medications will merely delay puberty, not stop it forever. That means a child with gender issues will have time to make up their own minds. If they then decide that they are not trans and wish to remain in their birth gender, they stop taking the medication and puberty starts.

So all it does it put it on hold for a while.

3. Elizabeth Baldwin 21 Feb 2012, 1:38am

I do :-)

5. I hope she comes to Hallam!

1. Katherine Kepa 29 Feb 2012, 4:25pm

she’s got a whole team of staff that manage her UK tour, let me know if you need details on how to contact them and you could probably invite her to do a talk at your uni (best liase with your Students’ Union or LGBT society to do that)

6. This is a difficult thing to comment on.
    OK, I’m going to set out my own inadequacies here – no one else’s.
    I’m a gay man of a certain age (i.e. I’m old) and I understand that a lot of straight people my age needed to be constantly educated before they understood some of the issues involved.
    And transexuality challenges my concepts of sexuality.
    At no point am I challenging or deingrating transexuality as it exists, I’m just acknowledging my own ignorance.
    I’m in this weird situation of being a liberal straight person who is confronted with a happy gay person. I want to accept and support, but I don’t really understand it.
    Because I’m ignorant here, this informs my unease about the possibility of injecting pre-pubescent or pubescent children with hormones.
    Were I transgender, I’d probably slap myself around the back of my head for being daft.
    However, I’m not transgender, I’m gay.

1. There is a mass of historical evidence in which perfectly ordinary gay men were dosed with a mass of hormones to make then ‘straight’.
      I’m only making this point because I worry about the straight majority of this world treat the non-straight minority.
      I fully accept that you can know – as a young child – that you’re not like everyone else (I knew that about myself when I was a kid).
      But what scares me is the idea of injecting a young kid with hormones.
      I’ve worked with psychiatrists dealing with ADHD and other childhood problems in the past. These were good professionals, but they weren’t perfect.
      I know I’m trans-ignorant, and I hope I’m not transphobic, but the idea of injecting pre-pubescent kids with hormones – before there’s any emotional quotient – scares the living crap out of me.

1. I fully understand that I’m a moron here.
        I’ve tried to explain my emotions rather than the logicality of my thought here.
        And I’ve only done this because I know I’m a bit inadequate in my view of trans issues.

1. At this point, I’m giving every trans person here a fresjh bloater.You can hit me with it because I’m not that bright.
          From a gay perspective of a certain age, the idea of injecting anyone with hormones scares the bejeesus out of me.

I suppose, because of that, I’m not the automatic cheerleader of trans issues.
          And for that I apologise to trans people.
          For me, there’s a vicious argument (based on vicious experience) that says a gay man is just someone who wants to be a woman.
          I know I’ve bloviated at great length here, but I’ve tried to explain the dichotomy in why trans doesn’t equal gay in the political argument.
          That said, I’m trying to learn more.

1. Elizabeth Baldwin 21 Feb 2012, 1:28am

trans doesn’t equal gay in any argument, they are unrelated.

you’re mixing gender with sexuality. a woman can be gay or straight. a transwoman can be gay or straight.

being a transwoman has no connection or correlation to a gay man, some gay men are very feminine, and bless em, camp as the campest of camp things, that doesn’t mean they are women in mens bodies, they are what they are, to imply that is to risk marginalising your own minority.

women still in mens bodies don’t have to be gay men (thought that happens) they can be builders, truck drivers, married fathers of three children, bodybuilders and soldiers…

2. Elizabeth Baldwin 21 Feb 2012, 1:34am

“I’m of an age whereby the idea that a gay man was essentially a female in a male body destroyed lives.”

Time to let that go, I was there too, it’s over — don’t risk repeating it with us now – good on you for trying to learn more, that’s great – and your caution with children’s health is commendable, but I think we can all trust the NHS to move with professional reserve, they’re not dishing this out like smarties, and they are only doing it because its *serious* delaying puberty a few years to allow the childs intellect to flesh out a bit, and make a stronger decision, is better than a damaged or dead child. The 50/50 rule says that a transsexual person has a 50% chance of being dead by age 50%, and that 35% of the survivors may have attempted suicide at least once… lets try to improve those percentages :-) my life would have been so much better in many ways if this had been available when I was young… I know it’s an issue you don’t understand, but please trust we do.

2. Helen Wilson 20 Feb 2012, 11:38pm

They are not injecting hormones they are injecting inhibitors its a big difference. The brain needs to send signals so the bodies own hormones start puberty in the child this is how puberty takes place. All that happens is the signals are inhibited by the injections so the child stays in a pre pubescent state while they work out what gender they are. Once the injections are stopped (a single injection lasts three months) puberty will take place.

The media continue to use the word hormone its very misleading use of words.

3. Elizabeth Baldwin 21 Feb 2012, 1:22am

transsexuality has nothing to do with sexuality, confusing I know, easy to mix up due to a common word. Think of it as transgender and sexuality, independant, I was a male, attracted to males, now I’m a female attracted to males, my gender changed, but my sexuality remained the same. the sex of my body (primary and secondary genitalia) change (thus the term) but my sexuality is independant of these changes.

You could look at it this way also, gay people enjoy the luxury of being who they wish to be (a very long and hard battle still underway, but doing very nicely) perhaps we should enjoy the same benefits… I grew up as a feminine male child terrified by the aggression around me, bullying and ridicule of my hybridic nature – education helps resolve this. Meication gives time to make good informed decisions.

1. I agree completely Elizabeth – I knew I was different from the age of about 5, I knew that I should have been a girl, and other children at primary school detected it too as I was given a girl’s nickname and teased about it throughout infants school.
        The risks of hormone treatment is very minor compared with the anguish of going through a male puberty and its face and body masculinisation, together with both the costs, trauma and dangers of both body and FFS (Female Feminisation Surgery) surgeries later on in life to try and reverse the damaging effects of those male hormones released at puberty.
        I can only applaud the fact that it is now available to transsexual children today – I only wish these things had been available to us 60 years ago.

7. Thanks so much for compiling this info!
    You can focus on
    ralph lauren boutique

8. I’m Not for.. Or against.. I can see issues from 2 points of veiw
    * Schools teaching kids about transgender.. I was at School 8 years ago N they didn’t teach us about sexuality Never mind transexuality.. I as a female was confused about my sexuality from a very young age N I hadn’t heard of or. seen anybody that was gay.. I thought I was alone. So maybe teaching about both issues would help.. But then in a way.. Teaching kids those issues from such an age may even confuse them aswel.. Even I at a young age liking women kind of made me wonder wether I should be a boy that likes girls rather than a girl liking girls..If you put that in to a kid’s head they may confuse tha two issues..
    *then there’s tha puberty delaying injection.. Yeah it will really help one or two kids but what if there’s kids that are really just confused about their sexuality. Like I was N thinking you should b a boy. liking girls rather than girl liking girl, Is tha “Normal” thing to do.

1. Paddyswurds 21 Feb 2012, 5:22pm

You should have stayed at school a little longer and learned grammar and spelling, Pet.

9. But isn’t school exactly to instill prejudices and to oppress and corrupt children ? Then why teach them tolerance for the sexual diversity and depict transexuality as a totally common and accepted phenomenon ? It’s taking away the purpose of government education !!

(in case it was not clear I was being ironic)

10. On the other news:

I am not British so I don’t know her, but damn, this girl is hot ! I wish in the end of my transitioning I end up as feminine as her.

11. Paddyswurds 21 Feb 2012, 5:19pm

This is horrendous and is child abuse of the worst kind. It’s all very well stuffing a kid with hormones of whatever kind, but the payback will come later in life when the girls will suffer breast cancer and the boys testicular and prostate cancer way above the national average. How long till parents who wanted a girl and got a boy and vis versa start using these hormones on perfectly ordinary gay or straight kids. this is a step too far……

1. Christine Beckett 21 Feb 2012, 5:25pm

Wow.. Do you have a medical background?

2. Helen Wilson 21 Feb 2012, 7:02pm

See above inhibitors are not hormones and the drug is also used to treat cancer patients……oops sorry to catch you in a lie Paddy x

1. Paddyswurds 22 Feb 2012, 4:37pm

@ helen Wilson…
        ….Sorry to call YOU a liar Helen, but you are wrong. The Inhibitors are hormone derived, both testosterone and oestrogen. Get your facts right. You should also know that the incidence of Cancer in people injecting these hormones and derivatives are way above the national average for cancers of all types, hence the need for those who are trying to have children naturally to quit at least a year before any attempt. This is also one of the reasons women are advised not to stay on the pill for more than two years at a time.

12. All well and good but what exactly may be the health effects of artificially delaying puberty in children? Lots of debate and caution required all round, I think.

1. There is likely to be very little effect on delaying puberty, no different than children who don’t start to develop secondary sexual characteristics until 16. Certainly, the benefits in protecting the child’s mental health is likely to outweigh any risks.

We should also remember that this treatment is limited to a very small number of children and young people so it will always be difficult to get a large enough cohort to fully investigate possible side effects. As has already been mentioned, the hormone blockers used are safe for other uses, so it is not entirely experimental.

13. I think they need to be taught about transsexuals and how sometimes it happen but i don’t think they should be offered it. I think they should be told its about and to ask if they want to be referred to a doctor so their parents can talk about it with them and medical professional. Hormones are not things to be messed with !

14. I agree kid should have choices earlier.

Due to the more open nature of society these days, kids have access to more areas of life and far more information at an earlier age. Thid allows them a greater understanding and o make choices from much earlier ages.

It is right transgender identity issues need to be tackles as early as possible for the mental health of the child. Because i can only guess how horrific it must be going through puberty as the wrong gender.