Comment: Paddy Power thinks it’s fun to play ‘spot the trans lady’ – want to bet?

1. Disgraceful idiocy.

1. Dangermouse 21 Feb 2012, 10:23am

Surely this could be classed as breaching the law on discrimination in the UK if its held at Cheltenahm.

2. Helen Wilson 20 Feb 2012, 5:55pm

I know of several trans women who have gone to Cheltenham ladies day for years. Should they go this year Paddy Power could put them in danger because of this crass publicity stunt.

Its not only trans women who are in danger any women who does not conform to misogynistic expectations of who women should be risk being miss gendered and seen as part of Paddy Powers transphobic sport.

1. What are the litigation laws like in the UK? Any woman that gets harassed at the Ladies day should immediately sue Paddy Power for 10′s/100′s of thousands of pounds. That might make them sit up…

3. I always work at Cheltenham for the week and now I’ve pulled out of it because of this with Paddy Power. I refuse to work with anyone who’s transphobic

1. I don’t think April is saying it won’t. So what’s your point? Troll.

4. Sarah Brown 20 Feb 2012, 6:32pm

I think I’m actually going to be sick. This is comjouring up all sorts of images from when people did just this to me when I was early in transition. What happens to people who aren’t part of this “game” who are unwittingly dragged into it? Paddy Power should be utterly ashamed of themselves.

5. This is truly horrific – to turn picking on trans people into some kind of sick sport. Of course there will be some natal women who are likely to be subject to this abuse too as they get misread – it is hurtful and spiteful beyond measure. Someone in authority surely must see sense and put an end to it.

6. jamestoronto 20 Feb 2012, 6:46pm

What will be next? Dwarf Tossing.

7. FWIW, I think you should take up what the article suggested. Send every transperson who can go with a placard or T-shirt saying, “Spot the bigot? It’s you, Paddy Power!”

8. Rowan the Boss of You Carey 20 Feb 2012, 7:13pm

Reminds me of when the tabloids used to run articles on how to spot a “queer”.

1. Rowan the Boss of You Carey 20 Feb 2012, 7:14pm

Though the Daily Mail is still almost as bad.

9. Hodge Podge 20 Feb 2012, 7:15pm

Need some UKUncut style stuff going on to combat this… Paddy Power, you’re going to regret this.

1. why don’t we occupy a store!

10. GingerlyColors 20 Feb 2012, 7:17pm

I thought that Paddy Power was an Irish electricity company!

1. Or a superhero like Captain America

1. Paddyswurds 21 Feb 2012, 6:42pm

Why, do you need a new telly or pair of Nikes perhaps….
        Idiot.

11. The worst thing is that they actually seem to make an effort not to be offensive in using the term ‘transgendered ladies’. There are maybe issues with that terminology too but there are worse terms they could have used.
    However, its pretty clear that even though they’ve used the right words they’ve completely missed the point and don’t understand why this kind of ad is horrible, cruel and offensive.

They may as well have referred to it as ‘single out the tranny day’ because that’s essentially what it is and maybe then someone would have realised how bad it was and pulled the ad.

12. Cheltenham and Paddy power are going to upset a LOT of people. Any woman will be worried about being pointed out for ridicule. The horse and country people come in all shapes and sizes. None of them will be safe.

1. Let’s hope Royalty isn’t witness to it.

13. Singapore Sam 20 Feb 2012, 7:20pm

It sounds like one of those trashy shows like Playing it Straight. But I have to admit I watch that.

1. theotherone 20 Feb 2012, 10:57pm

wonderful!

14. this stuff really annoys me (an early entry for ‘understatement of the century’). i witness all sorts of transphobia more often than i would like (another entry). as mentioned in the post some people believe it is just ok to openly speculate as if the people they are talking about are expected to tollerate it. when i look at racism, or homophobia patterns start forming but with transphobia im constantly surprised by people who i believed to be educated and tollerent individuals. i guess the fight for trans rights is a little bit behind that of gay rights. i really dont get the thought behind any sort of discrimination, to ignore the fact that they are talking about a human being while still claiming to be one themselves.

15. Paddyswurds 20 Feb 2012, 10:06pm

…Hugh Hefner **

16. They are confusing ‘drag’ with transgender- and it’s not funny. I’ve lost count of the number of emails I have sent to our local hospice complaining of their ‘fancy drag races’ in aid of charity.

17. Reported for use of hate speech.

1. Paddyswurds 20 Feb 2012, 11:01pm

…….
      ………..Pfft.!!

2. Thia Jones 22 Feb 2012, 7:56pm

…and they removed it!!! Yeah!!!

18. theotherone 20 Feb 2012, 10:56pm

you really should get laid paddy.

1. Paddyswurds 20 Feb 2012, 11:06pm

@theo ….
      …and I can, which is more than you can say. For your info I just spent almost an hour and a half “getting laid” as you so quaintly put it…. When was the last time a dude had the courage and lack of olfactory sense to face you…. Aww pity that.

1. theotherone 20 Feb 2012, 11:10pm

i prefer women paddy, one woman in particular – my partner of seven years.

1. Paddyswurds 21 Feb 2012, 12:45pm

Yea right. !!

1. theotherone 21 Feb 2012, 1:01pm

no really paddy – we run a business together, have bought a flat and have a cat

2. You’re mother doesn’t count.

She is the only person who loves you, right?

A saint of a woman!

19. Paddyswurds 20 Feb 2012, 11:09pm

How come there are three copies of the same comment by me, PN…Please delete two of them if you can Thank You.

1. theotherone 20 Feb 2012, 11:12pm

why don’t you just stop commenting paddy? we would all be happier.

2. Thia Jones 22 Feb 2012, 7:52pm

The one in which you use that hate word, you mean? They told me they’d removed them after i complained.

20. lisa tiffany 21 Feb 2012, 12:29am

my company used to do a lot of media work on paddy power events, ever since the advert we have decided to step back and never contribute to them ever again. i have torn up my tickets to cheltenham and have advised friends who have horses in the race to take a step back and look at what kind of a bigoted event they will be contributing towards. upon the advert going up they asked for feedback which they got – the comments are all against the advert and state how offensive it is yet they go on the radio today claiming they had backing of the UK Trans community and that it was only meant as a giggle. they offer not one sorry nor do they delete a comment where someone states Trans people are dogs and should be banned from the racecourse. they are quite simply scumbags and that’s not a word i use a lot but after sending god knows how many emails and calling only to be told it was meant as a joke I’m at my wits end.

1. theotherone 21 Feb 2012, 12:48am

hurting them financially is the only way to make a difference though other forms of direct action are more fun…

2. Paddyswurds 21 Feb 2012, 11:09am

@.lisa tiffany…
      ….your delusion is astounding. Cheltenham has a back list of several years of sponsors and companies wanting to get in and thus gain the exposure which, as you will know, is immense (were you telling the truth). However on reading through your post, which comes across as if a seven year old boy wrote it, I seriously doubt “your company” ever existed. Your spelling and grammar are infantile. Lying on this page is just so childish and shows how desperate the trans community are for attention no matter how negative. As for the dogs comment, perhaps they are concerned for the safety of the horses…I’m sure you are aware of how easily thoroughbred horses scare. Your at your wits end? Grow up.

1. theotherone 21 Feb 2012, 12:06pm

you really are a prise w@nk3r paddy.

Go back to your daily mail.

1. Paddyswurds 21 Feb 2012, 12:49pm

….”prise” really. A w*nk is something youll never be able to enjoy though, and your infantile comment displays your envy admirably……

1. theotherone 21 Feb 2012, 1:03pm

why would i envy you something I don’t want?

oh and paddy: women masturbate too, sorry to tell you.

2. The trans community are not ‘desperate for attention’ at all, they are desperate to be left alone and stop being abused.

Your delusion is absolutely staggering.

By the way, it’s “you’re at your wits end” not “your at your wits end”.

3. theotherone 21 Feb 2012, 1:12pm

mine was a typo, his was idiocy.

4. Paddyswurds 21 Feb 2012, 1:58pm

@Beth….
            …. You’re pathetic…..like that you mean?

5. theotherone 21 Feb 2012, 2:06pm

I was wrong paddy; you’re not a wanker, you’re worse than that.

21. I am a 29 years old lady,mature and beautiful. and now i am seeking a good man who can give me real love, so i got a username josedvilla on — Agelover.СòM —, a nice and free place for younger women and older men,or older women and younger men, to interact with each other.Maybe you wanna check out or tell your friends.

22. Hey this is a very interesting article! Thanks! Maybe you’re interested in Infant Erin UGG laarzen

23. Hey this is a very interesting article! Thanks! Maybe you’re interested in

24. Hey this is a very interesting article! Thanks! Maybe you’re interested in UGGs Outlet Rotterdam

25. The “spot the bigot” protest thing is a great idea. And I’ve already email them to let them know how pathetic their bigoted behaviour is. I just hope they get the message that this kind of blatant discrimination won’t be tolerated anymore.

26. ContinentSimian 21 Feb 2012, 4:18pm

In order to hit them where it hurts, might their competitor BetFair.com be interested in weighing in?

Their just as convenient, have better odds and don’t appear to be so completely misguided.

1. ContinentSimian 21 Feb 2012, 4:20pm

Gah! “They’re” not “Their”.

27. What about spot thick paddy? (hint he works for paddy power)
    Turn it right back at them – everytime you get interviewed remind them what it feels like joke about it, make fun wear wellies marked L R etc – they think it’s fun!

28. A protest is a brilliant plan, I would join it if I were able to get to Cheltenham. I wonder how many people would be interested.
    I was a customer of Paddy Power for more than 10 years, but I closed my account in disgust after seeing this ad, and let them know precisely why. I am now encouraging others to do the same.