Kath & Kim star Magda Szubanski comes out

1. She made the announcement for Valentine’s Day on Australia’s Channel 10 and announced she was “1000 per cent” behind gay marriage.

On the subject of Valentine’s Day, there were several romance/love-related programmes on BBC children’s TV yesterday. CBBC continues to exclude lesbian or gay characters/issues in its drama and comedy programmes, as well as its factual output.

2. Paddyswurds 15 Feb 2012, 11:52am

What is a “gay”…. We don’t refer to straight people as straights, so why refer to gay people as “gays” and in a supposedly Gay news page too. Pink News writers really need to have a care as to the terminology they use when writing up these stories. A really annoying term often used is “Gay Marriage” which is not what anyone wants …. it’s Marriage Equality and nothing else is acceptable. Get a grip pink news and do it right or not at all.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 15 Feb 2012, 12:37pm

I agree with you. In America it’s code to foment hatred among opponents of same-sex civil marriage and I daresay it’s having the same implications here in the UK. Sadly, the media has bought into it and many of those who present the news. Sadder that Pink News among others chooses the same terminology and really should know better. We don’t refer to marriage for heterosexuals as straight marriage nor does the media. It’s just marriage and that’s just what it is by expanding it to everyone. That’s what true democracies are supposed to do. Everybody treated equally, not separately, without exception.

2. John Antrobus 15 Feb 2012, 7:37pm

Agree too. And I’d prefer not to see ‘gay marriage’ used again by Pink News. Now, I must go; my gay dinner is ready and I’ve already spent too long today on my gay iPad.

3. Paddyswurds 15 Feb 2012, 11:59am

This woman is 50..Where has she been with her revelation til now. No wonder there are so many young gay people struggling with their sexuality, when people like her are so ashamed of being gay that they only come out when threatened with being outed by some rag or other.
    Just saying like….

1. Typical selfish reaction from the militant wing.

1. Paddyswurds 15 Feb 2012, 2:30pm

@Blazer…
        ….It is the militant wing who won you the pitiful few rights gay people now enjoy. Before the militant wing showed their mettle, you would be considering straight marriage and be terrified of being “found out”, so think on before you post such puerile shyt*….

2. Spanner1960 15 Feb 2012, 3:52pm

Militant Wing?
        You make it sound like some secret illegal gay terrorist group that kicks down your door in the dead of night and redecorates your lounge.

“I was left traumatised when one of them lunged at me with a hair dryer…”

2. Sister Goodlove 15 Feb 2012, 12:46pm

Better late than never, Paddy.

Her celebrity and success sends out a good signal.

1. Paddyswurds 15 Feb 2012, 2:26pm

@Sister Goodlove….
        …..”Her celebrity and success sends out a good signal” to who, exactly?.
        Do you seriously think that a fifty something, has been second rate actress, even comes up on the radar of any one under the age of 35.
        I seriously doubt it. Had she come out when she was somewhat relevant, it would have been a great comfort to her peers who were struggling with their own sexual orientation at the time.
        Sneaking about is never a good look and even less so when it is revealed that you are sneaking about because you are ashamed of who you are.

1. Sister Goodlove 15 Feb 2012, 4:16pm

Why does she need to be relevant to anyone under 35, when she’s only achieved celebrity in the last six years or so herself? Who’d listen if she’s obscure? Even 15 years ago it was tough to get roles if you were openly homosexual. Casting directors are not the most imaginative people in the world.

2. She’s a big star in Australia! Actually quite surprised this got onto PN since I didn’t realise she was known over there as well..

1. Paddyswurds 15 Feb 2012, 8:11pm

@John…
          ….She isn’t well known over here and Kath & Kim only ran here on obscure channels late at night as filler when no one was watching ‘cept night watchmen and insomniacs. The story was “lifted” from another service as are most of the stories on PN…..

3. And that makes her less lesbian, how, again?

Not all of us woke up at the mature age of four and thought, OMG, I’m attracted to my own gender.

Accept that it is a short walk for some and a much longer road to travel for others. By demanding a certain way to do things, we are no better than those who condemn people for not living up to a heteronormative standard.

1. Paddyswurds 15 Feb 2012, 2:17pm

@SL…
        ….I have only two words to describe your comment and they are “coward” and “childish”

1. No, being a childish coward is to hide behind a wall of demands and obvious intolerance for other people’s struggles and doubts, pretending to be so very brave.

A bit like the religious nutters, actually. Bigotry and intolerance come in many flavours and those of us who do not live heteronormative lives should be first in line when it comes to discard that kind of behaviour.

Coming out or realising late a non-normative sexuality has not necessarily anything nothing to do with cowardice. It has to do with development. Instead of accusing people of being cowards, we should welcome yet another liberated human being.

4. Magda, I’m proud of you! It takes courage to come out, to be who you are in the face of societal disapproval.

1. Paddyswurds 15 Feb 2012, 2:13pm

I didn’t feel it was in the slightest bit courageous coming out.
      any more than I thought it was courageous that my brothers revealed they were “straight” . Hiding ones sexuality has only one effect and that is to make young gay men think “am i alone in feeling this way ?”. It is no wonder there are so many suicides amongst gay teenagers when they see people like this bint demonstrating their cowardice. And another thin, it gives grist to the mill of the bigots when they observe this reticence to declare “this is me and I am gay..deal with it”. The more of us there are out there, the less likely we are to be classed as an inconsequential minority to be bullied and denied our rights. No, this woman’s reasons for staying in the closet for most of her life were purely selfish; protecting her so called career.
      Society disapproves because we demonstrate by this sort of cowardice that we also disapprove…..

1. Spanner1960 15 Feb 2012, 3:54pm

You obviously don’t live in a world where you could lose your job, get ostracised by your family or get your head kicked in by your peer group for revealing your sexuality.

Not everyone is as fortunate as you, twat.

1. Paddyswurds 15 Feb 2012, 8:16pm

@Spanner….
          ….that’s rich coming from the likes of you…..a career idiot!.

5. Well done on her coming out, which many of had a feeling she was gay anyway.

As for being a second rate actress, she has been on screen in Australia and NZ for many years and still is hardly makes her irrelevant.

Regardless of what some may think, it is not up to anyone else to dictate how or when someone should come out of the closet, regardless of their celebrity status. You should be applauding her that she has come out rather then being critical that she did not do it sooner.

1. Sister Goodlove 15 Feb 2012, 4:25pm

It’s circular – if she had come out sooner, she wouldn’t have survived long enough in the entertainment industry to come out now. I’m sure she was out to her friends and family, but if she’s going to be another person of note standing up proudly, now is the ideal time to do it.

6. @Paddyswurds

Whilst I am well read in LGBT rights, plights history and history of activism, I find your taking advantage of this story to air your aggressive responses leaves a nasty taste in the mouth…

Journalistic language is never watertight and perhaps the only way that real change can be made is a unified voice. Swiping on a forum will possibly only perpetuate stereotypes about gay people.

I’m sure Magda coming out will indeed help others think about making this (potentially) life-changing decision.

7. Really?? not a shock tbh. Glad i’m not the only older lady lately to come out :)

1. Well done you, and as I said before, not everyone is comfortable in coming out, no matter whether they are a celebrity or regular folk like ourselves.

I am out to a few people at work. I don’t hide the fact of being gay, just that I don’t feel the need to sit here with a pink banner over my head celebrating my gayness! I work in construction in an office and not yet received any homphobic problems (yet).

8. Is there a plan to deter anyone over 25 from coming out? Everyone’s circumstances and life experiences are different so it follows that some people will come out later than others. Well done to this lady and in Australia particularly it’s probably well timed with regard to the marriage issue.

1. Paddyswurds 15 Feb 2012, 8:23pm

@ray…
      ….I don’t think anyone is saying she shouldn’t come out, at least on this page they haven’t.
      What I and others are saying is why did she take so long, when doing so a lot earlier could have given support to young people struggling with their orientation and no doubt bullying.
      Great that she has finally become true to herself rather than as someone said, conform to hetronormative expectations for ever as many more coward of our brethren feel the need to.

1. If you have ever been to Australia, despite having the biggest gay partly, it’s not as forward thinking when it come to the lifestyle. We can only assume that she never came out sooner because she was in the public eye and as Ray has quite rightly said, the timing is even better now because of the equality issues being discussed in Oz at the moment.

9. jamestoronto 15 Feb 2012, 6:13pm

Could someone please post the link to the “Strict Guidelines to be Followed Upon Realising You are Gay.” Someone the brochure was missing in my “Gay Membership Package.” Specifically I would like to know the absolute allowable time limits between self-awareness and coming out to one’s family, then friends, then the world at large. Also, at what specific age is one no longer permitted to come out?

We have, each of us, travelled this journey. For some it has been at an early age and relatively painless and quick, for some it has been a slow and eventful process full of anguish. That we all get there is the important thing, not that we get there all at the same time. That some of us take a longer road should not be criticised but rather welcomed with open arms.

1. jamestoronto 15 Feb 2012, 6:14pm

Oops… “Somehow the brochure…”

2. Paddyswurds 15 Feb 2012, 8:28pm

…and in the mean time young people are ending their lives because they see obviously gay people denying their true self and in doing so demonstrating that “yes we are ashamed of what we are and your life isn’t worth living, as is clearly demonstrated by some of the more “timid souls” condemning my comments on this page…….. How very selfish!.

1. How is she denying herself? She has not lied to you or to me by not publicly revealing her sexuality publicly prior to today.

There are plenty of other ‘out’ celebrities that young people can look up to.

The comments you are making are in fact selfish in thinking that everyone should be out and proud the some way that you are. Yes, many of us are but there are still those who can’t find the courage to do what we have or indeed do not have the support network. How does that make someone ashamed of who they are?

10. Gay marriage? The STD dating site√ stdster.,.c0m, the gay subscribers increased continually.

Most of them are sexy.

11. I can’t believe people are giving Magda such a hard time. I love her in Kath and Kim and Fast Forward and if she came out at 17 or 50 we should all support her.

I really can’t believe the comments on here. People should come out when they are ready WHENEVER that may be. Not a moment before

Jeeeeeeeeeeez