Malta: Lesbian assault victims ‘to be charged with breaching peace’

1. This article in no way makes it clear what these 2 women were being charged for. I thought this was a news website – where’s the detail? What were they actually doing that warrants them being charged with breach of the peace?

1. Tina Holmboe 13 Feb 2012, 3:35pm

Presumably the mentioned dancing? Yeah?

2. And there is something that prevents you from actually putting that across in a polite manner is there? I wasn’t aware that this was a site you were actually paying for, so its not like you’re paying for a service that you’re not getting.

You might find you get a better response to things in life if you ease up on the angry man attitude every time you encounter the smallest thing that isn’t quite as you’d like it to be.

I would have liked a bit more detail on the story too, but I’m not throwing a hissy fit because I cant get it here.

2. Charles Bayliss {Malta} 13 Feb 2012, 4:06pm

Can’t people dance in the streets nowad
    ays in Malta? Is dancing a breach of peace? One Maltese singer had a song which translated into English, it was called THE MICKEY MOUSE COUNTRY. He hit the nail on the head! !!!

3. James Texas 13 Feb 2012, 5:29pm

They made obscene gestures towards the two men

“The two women were dancing in a gazebo at the Fra Diegu square in Hamrun, when the two brothers started insulting them from the top of a nearby balcony. When the girls retaliated by shouting back at the boys, the two turned up and assaulted the women.”

“The attackers cannot be charged with committing a hate crime because homophobia is not covered by law.”

Anyone can have an opinion, this maybe viewed as insulting, but its their view and opinion, which is why I agree with the UK’s plight to remove the word ‘Insult’ from The Public Order Act.

In my opinion, Malta Authorities acted rightly, if the girls had not of retaliated, then they would not be being taken to court.

1. So, by your reckoning then the girls should have stood there and taken the abuse they were recieving? I don’t think so, this is 2012 not 1812

1. I agree but did you have to put it like that, All I can hear now is Tchaikovsky playing in my head :)

4. Peter & Michael 13 Feb 2012, 7:38pm

And this is why we don’t go to Malta for our holidays. We now only go to gay friendly destinations.

1. Do you have to be gay when you go on holiday? Is all and every aspect of your live ruled by being a homosexual, or like most is it just a SMALL part of who you are?

Or when your on holiday do you act very homosexual and draw attention to yourselves?

1. de Villiers 13 Feb 2012, 10:32pm

I am gay when I go on holiday – because I am gay all the time. Being gay is not a small part of who I am – it affects the fundamental elements of my life including who I love, my sense of taste, what and whom I consider attractive. It forms a central part of who and what I am.

I am not sure that I “act” homosexual if it means behaving like a stereotype. If holding my partner’s hand, enjoying the natural intimacy of ordinary life in public space and being seen at nearly all times with another male is defined as acting “very homosexual” then I suppose I do.

1. Well said, and why is there anything wrong with displaying your love for someone no matter who they are. It is only natural whilst on holiday to do silly things like dancing and kissing as a display of romance in a romantic setting.

1. It gets worse, it would be as wrong as a mother and son similarly engaging in regular consenting sodomy, but to be fair I’m not sure that this has anything whatsoever to do with this story.

Do you have a particular interest or fascination with incest? The fact that you should bring it up amongst the comments on this thread does suggest that it is something that is a little nearer the front of your mind than is maybe healthy, if you don’t mind me saying.

I’m sure I don’t have to remind you that it is illegal (in the UK at least, but many other countries also), so if you do have any leanings towards having sex with close relatives, you might want to seek help and support in overcoming them.

2. @Jose, ignore Keith he is mentally unstable and not worth the energy to reply to

2. You don’t have to be gay at all. You can actually be heterosexual and still not want to go to places–or support tourism–where people who do not live up to conservative heteronormative standards are treated as inferior to those who do.

It might come as a surprise to you, but there are other reasons than being gay for supporting equal rights on all levels in life.

And I still can’t see the reason to act as fitting into the heteronormative box when one is not in it. Acting is a job, not something one has to do to avoid being exposed to prejudice and violence.

5. GingerlyColors 13 Feb 2012, 9:12pm

These Maltesers make me cross!

6. Incest typically isn’t consenting because it usually starts at an age where consent is unachievable. Also, it’s usually a relationship of power/dominance, not a romantic one. It also has incredibly negative effects in the case of pregnancy. Aside from that, it’s not my business, and that’s how I’ll treat it.

As for what you say about homosexual relationships being high risk; all sexual relationships have risk, all acts of promiscuity and lack of protection have risks, and all these risks are mitigated by monogamy and safe sex. Straight or gay, sex isn’t really that different.

I’m not even going to comment on the poisonous insults you like to throw around, but being gay isn’t a disorder. If anyone deprives someone else of their rights, that’s wrong. That being said, I don’t think someone has the right to abuse a child. Why? Because it’s a psychologically damaging attack of power that dehumanizes the victim. Because there is a victim at all. Consenting relationships don’t have that.