Westboro to picket boys’ funeral over gay marriage law

1. If anyone deserves a one way ticket to Hell it’s this mob. Absolutely disgusting excuse for human beings

1. Paddyswurds 10 Feb 2012, 1:20pm

@Kris…
      …what amazes me is that a “ticket” hasn’t been provided for them long ago. Where are all the macho gay men in the US and what exactly are they doing about these freaks.

1. That would play into their hands wouldn’t it? Imagine how they would enjoy the martyrdom? And imagine other groups jumping on the bandwagon of “fearing gay reprisals” It would be a great PR coup for them IMO.

1. Not only that, but key senior members of the clan are trained lawyers and make it their business to be litigious as possible in order to raise church funds.

2. You said it and I only can agree!

3. GingerlyColors 11 Feb 2012, 6:59am

WBC – Westboro Basket Case.

2. Helen Wilson 10 Feb 2012, 9:40am

If any god existed the members of Westboro Baptist Church would all suffer slow and painful deaths.

Any adult Felps family funeral should cause for mass protest and celebration.

1. He does…and the two are not linked…
      Any slow and painful experiences they may have are completely of their own manufacture & design…

The ungodly idiots…

2. GingerlyColors 11 Feb 2012, 2:42am

Yes, we should picket and celebrate the funerals of any Phelps family member, but not if it is a child – we are not evil.

3. Scott Lovely 10 Feb 2012, 9:44am

Every time they do one of these “protests”, they turn more people off religion, and add to the backlash against it.

1. Charles Lambert 10 Feb 2012, 9:57am

So they’re a good thing then.

2. Yes indeed.

4. I would never normally say this, but …

Freaks.

5. I see WBC as internet trolls writ large. They are just a bunch of media whores who thrive off other people’s disgusted reactions, and provoking fights wherever they go.
    I still don’t know which is more important to them, the Old Testament or being the most hated family in the US after the Mansons.
    They’re too fundamentalist right wing even for Fox news.

6. How can people be so blinkered to believe that “God” if he exists could love some people and hate others.. do they read their bible if they read it all and not just the parts that suit them, they will see its a guide not the be all and end all of life.
    “Love they neighbour” – “He who casts the first stone” etc are some for them to study.
    I would much rather have two people in love and happy than two people separated by fear because of bigots!

7. Alex Airey 10 Feb 2012, 9:54am

It’s absolutely disgusting. Every time I see these people, It makes me so sick to my stomach.

They wouldn’t like it if we did it to one of their children of family members. But for every article or tv programme i watch/read about these people, it makes me more proud to be gay even though I am catholic.

8. “the funeral of two young boys who were killed by their father at the weekend after the Washington state legislature voted in favour of gay marriage.”

Um, was there any connection between the deaths and the vote or is WBC even more unhinged than the lads’ father?

1. Keith Farrell 10 Feb 2012, 10:07am

dont know what the connection is, but we gay people have been blames for everything from earth quakes to floods and now we are being blamed because some idiot killed his children(may he rot in hell), and yet all we want want is to be treated as equals, so we fight that the laws are changed to being fair to all not just some. I think christanity should be out lawed because of all the nutters that it breeds

2. I suppose those religious freaks are trying to say that this crime is God’s punishment for gay marriage legislation.

9. Keith Farrell 10 Feb 2012, 10:01am

these people call them selves christians, well I beleve Christ would not know them.The members of Westboro Baptist Church are evil people, they do not deserve our respect

1. September Meadows 10 Feb 2012, 11:23am

Typical Christians then because there are a “Million Moms” applauding their every demonstration.

10. and some people believe that morals only comes from faith.

11. one only has to look at part of the ZIP code for the Westboro Baptist Church to find out just how evil they really are!

These odious creatures, lack care and compassion.

When any of the Phelps’s clan depart this mortal coil, perhaps their funeral should be picketed? Not that I would waste my time doing such anyway.

1. If god does exist ,these nutjobs are the ones he would be hating for sure . Westboro baptist church = loony bin !

12. As a gay civil funeral celebrant, I abhor these people, but what I abhor more is the fact they won’t let poor innocent victims rest in peace. If there was a god – I think even she would have turned her back on this lot.

13. Shame on Pink News for giving this family (the Westboro Baptist Church) the oxygen of publicity that they so crave.

The Westboro cult is 1 family – it has about 70 members – and is headed by an abusive old man.

They are nothing.

Yet media outlets keep bending over backwards to keep them relevant by puclicising their every move.

It’s thanks to gay media outlets that the Westboro Church continues to function.

If they were ignored then they would disappear as they are too tiny and irrelevant to survive without the oxygen of publicity and notoriety.

1. I agree that it’s a type of RIP trolling that they’ve turned into a twisted artform.
      Regretably it’s difficult to blank them completely when they’re picketing everybody’s funerals, but the media circus that follows their every move is what keeps them coming back for more.

1. They are NOT picketing everyone’s funerals.

They are merely announcing that they INTEND to picket someone’s funeral.

99 times out of 100 they don’t picket what they announce (there are only 70 of them after alln which makes it logistically impossible).

However when Pink News and other media outlets report as ‘news’ their intention to picket a funeral, then the Westboro Baptist church have won – they have gained the publicity that keeps them relevant.

It’s a sick game that gay media outlets seem very keen to play

1. Fair point, I guess once they’ve picketed enough funerals in person people are tricked into thinking WBC have a 100% hit rate for all the funerals they claimed to be picketing.

2. Hodge Podge 10 Feb 2012, 7:53pm

Agree. We need to know in order to keep a general idea of whats going on in America, and to organise counter protests. But please don’t cost their pictures.

1. Hodge Podge 10 Feb 2012, 8:26pm

*post

14. The Westboro cult must think that gay media outlets are hilariously easy to manipulate.

Here is their modus operandi.

1. Announce that they are going to protest some funeral.
    2. The story that they are going to protest a funeral, is breathlessly reported by gay media outlets everywhere.
    3. The family don’t bother picketing the funeral as they have already succeeded in gaining the publicity they so desperately crave.

it really is quite pathetic.

15. Spanner1960 10 Feb 2012, 12:10pm

I really don’t understand the process behind this. If these people are despised by so many, then how are they allowed to get away with it without being attacked?

I suspect that they are probably heavily protected by police. In which case, are the police charging for their time? If not, why not? If they sent them a bill every time these nutjobs went out on the street, they would soon think twice about it.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 10 Feb 2012, 12:44pm

Under the American constitution, hate speech is protected as long as it doesn’t advocate violence even though some of the signs this cult carries could be construed as such. The American authorities’ hands are tied to take them to task because of right wing republicans who’d skewer them for attacking religious liberty, especially under the current Obama administration who they hate so much. I don’t think one American politician from either of the two parties has condemned this cult outright.

One of the fathers of a fallen serviceman tried to sue this cult but lost his case based on Westboro’s right to freedom of speech and expression, no matter how painful it was for the family. Absolutely disgusting nonetheless. Thankfully, this would never happen in the UK, I believe Fred Phelps is on the banned list of foreign undesirables is he not?

1. Spanner1960 13 Feb 2012, 11:22pm

That’s not what I’m getting at.
        If those people protested outside the funeral of one of my family members, I, and every other able-bodied person in the congregation would as likely march over to them and kick seven bells of crap out of the lot of them.

I cannot believe there has not been a single incident of violence at one of their pickets unless they have some kind of physical protection, either police, or hired goons.

2. Spanner – the vast majority of the pickets they annouce do not occur.

They merely claim they will be picketing for publicity (which they invariably get).

If instead of reporting their intention to picket, it was only reported on when they actually had picketed, then they would never be in the news.

The Westboro Baptist church are master media manipulators.

1. Spanner1960 13 Feb 2012, 11:23pm

I am aware of this, but they do show up from time to time.

16. This is a difficult one, because as others as said, it is this publicity that they appear to crave, and I suppose in that sense the gay media, and even myself by adding this comment, is complicit. Maybe they should be dealt with with quiet dignity that they don’t allow others i.e. limit the knee-jerk reporting whenever they announce their intention to picket a funeral. That way we don’t inadvertently become part of their publicity machine. Again, as others have said, they appear to live off people reacting to them. I would however look at examining the legality of their practices, although I am reluctant for laws to change with regards to free speech. They however are exploiting their free rein. Like naughty children they shouldn’t be rewarded for their bad behaviour, but punished in a constructive way.

17. Pink News – in future please can you only report on this cult AFTER they have picketed someone’s funeral.

You are assisting the Westboro Baptist church when you publish stories like this.

1. Good point.

18. Time to outlaw religion – for it’s hateful and inhuman protestations –

These monsters protesteth too much – they spend more time thinking about gays having sex than gays do -

19. Their God expresses his displeasure at State-level approval of gay marriage by burning two children to death, and these characters worship Him. Tell you everything, really.

20. I think people forget that this odious family cult has one objective. They turn up to events like this to cause maximum emotional outrage, so that someone either denies them their legal rights or commits some physical act against them.
    Said odious family then sues the person who has “offended” them, and makes a bucket load of money.
    It’s quite the little money-maker.
    How about the media simply blacks out this odious family and refuses to report on them. They’ll have nowhere to go and slowly disappear!

21. What kind of pathetic narrow minded disgustingly bad examples of humanity must you be to disturb the sad occasion of a funeral of two innocent boys with a protest. Why can’t these people who say they stand for Christian values (Which apparently are friendship, love, commitment and understanding) disturb one of the sadest days in their relatives and friends lives.

22. These people are already in hell. Raised by a mentally deranged father who trained them to worship himself. This poor family is so damaged and hurt, I could only pity them. Very sad indeed.

23. Janet Lameck 10 Feb 2012, 2:52pm

why can’t those FREAKS leave well enough alone! The WBC is gonna spend eternity in hell.

24. How much sicker can these “people” get?

25. WBC is a freak show no doubt. But they have been an embarrassment to sincere believers causing them to ‘re-think’ what the scriptures teach. Modern biblical scholarship has pretty much debunked the classic interpretation of the Sodom story as our understanding of the nature of God and the ‘wideness in God’s mercy’ ;) continues to grow.
    They will continue to dwindle but I do question “why?” in spite of all the death threat’s they claim the receive no one has ever touched them…maybe because what they have might be contagious? LOL

26. Ray is correct. The cult leader is as deranged as Jim Jones who murdered his followers. Unfortunately for the world they are not just abusing their own members they are lashing out at everyone else. It’s only a matter of time before US officials will have to take some kind of action to save those poor abused children born into that cult.

27. It is sick when Phelphs and his clan can not only protest at fallen soldiers funerals which are not associated with LGBT in any way.

When Phelphs can then go to court and win over $16,650 in court cost from the father of the soldier who sued over their protest at his sons funeral it gets sicker!

It becomes reprehensibly unjust when wins the right to be there from the Supreme court!

28. If it wasn’t for the upset caused to the relatives I would be glad that these loons were doing this. It can leave no one in any doubt about just how stark raving mad and evil they are. More power to their elbow say I.

29. I’m not normally the sort of person to want to see great harm or suffering visited on other human beings but in the case of these vile beings I’d make an exception.
    They’re evil and they take joy in seeing innocents suffer. It’s horrific and twisted beyond words.

30. Am I the only one who sees the WBC as a positive force for LGBT rights? They are useful idiots in revealing the face of anti-LGBT bigotry to groups as varied as the US Military and Occupy Wall Street

1. They are worth millions to LGBT. It’s the relatives of the deceased I feel for.

31. sick bastards

32. What a bunch of fcvking idiots…

Not a bloody brain cell between the lot of them it would appear….

Ungodly bunch of bigoted dildos…

33. The funny part is that these are what real America Christians are like with out the fake smiles and god loves you. They are really that messed up. I know I was one of them.

34. GingerlyColors 11 Feb 2012, 2:37am

No doubt those Westboro Baptist trolls will be claiming their 1st Amendment rights. In the UK it will be treated as hate speech pure and simple and if they end up getting a good kicking I trust that the police will just stand back and watch. I suggest that whenever a WBC member or any other high-profile religious homophobe dies we gather together a thousand or so gay people to picket THEIR funeral.

35. if they were not banned from the uk the us could send them here they would be behind bars in no time. all of them are sick bastards and have a screw loose. the 21st century is upon them

1. GingerlyColors 11 Feb 2012, 6:58am

Then those Westboro Basket Cases will take their case to the European Court of Human Rights, be free in no time and end up living here on benefits because we can’t deport them in case they face ‘cruel and unsual punishment’ back home.

36. jamestoronto 11 Feb 2012, 5:36am

I am sensing that what you mean is some sort of physical confrontation by asking where are all the “macho men” (curious as to why only macho men should be called upon. Confronting this evil repulsive street gang (sorry church group) with more placards and signs, abusive language and even physical contact would only add more indignity to this solemn event. I would like to think that most of us have a lot more class than these insane bigots. It would drag us down to their sub-human level and would only serve to get the WBC more media exposure. There are times and places for demonstrations or counter-demonstrations by any number of gays (macho and not so macho). A funeral is definitely not one of them.

37. I don’t understand how they are still able to practice, surely thier “religion” is against the law somwhere in the USA?

1. I understand that they are within their rights. Go figure.

38. Anything for attention and to put their ignorance and intolerance on display. Obviously they are unaware that Josh Powell pulled a murder/suicide, killing himself and his boys as the police closed in on him for the murder/disappearance of his own wife. But I guess to the homophobes, timing is everything.

1. Didn’t you get the memo – we’re responsible for absolutely everything that happened in that 48 hour period last weekend across the entire universe no matter how tenuous or unrelated to us it was.
      Personally I made a star go supernova in a distant galaxy…
      What can I say, I sometimes get drunk with the power of my own gayness ;)

39. “God hates fags!!! Pay attention to MEEE!!!!!!”

1. Spanner1960 13 Feb 2012, 11:26pm

God hates fags. That’s why he came up with the no smoking ban.

40. They call themselves Christians, well it just goes to show that “Religeon is the root of all that is evil” Shame on you Westboro Baptist Scum