Ex-gays claim ‘illegal discrimination’ over flyers

1. Keith Farrell 9 Feb 2012, 2:38pm

the only ex gays I know, were never gay to begin. Being gay is not a sickness, it is who we are. I have no problems with woman, I can even see a pretty woman, it is just the thought of going to bed to have sex that makes me ill, I feel the same way a straight people feel about gay sex when thinking of straight sex. Sex that is disgusting for you when thinking about gay sex, is normal for me, for me stragt sex is disgusting.

2. Ex-gay therapy is a suicide factory. I couldn’t care less what the legality of them handing out their leaflets is, they should be driven from the streets.

3. I can’t wait for Keith “it gets worse!” to regale us at this story about how he saw the light in the park at 4am.

Those who promote “ex”-gay therapy should be seen similar in intellect and responsibility to those who believe in witchcraft as a means for curing the sick.

4. ‘Ex-gays’ are either bisexuals or homosexuals who try to repress their sexuality or simply decide not to act upon their given sexuality. If there are real ‘ex-gays’ in this world, there would be no more gays fighting for equality, against homophobia, bigotry, and discrimination.

1. “If there are real ‘ex-gays’ in this world, there would be no more gays fighting for equality, against homophobia, bigotry, and discrimination.” How would that work? Is being gay predicated on “I wouldn’t have chosen it if I’d had a choice?” I would, but it’s not a choice so technically my point is a mute one – technically. In real time though, I would choose if I had a choice, because I love to love :D Truth will out.

5. @ Jaybur

Of course, its been clearly established that those who propagate the prejudice and irrational hate of something that they claim not to be, are doing so for a reason….

The biggest bigots are the closet cases – they’re obsessed. Go figure.

Just look at Keith “it gets worse!” to see what an abysmal failure the “ex”-gay therapy was…. he can’t stop talking about gay sex, his anus, and spends all this time in here when he’s drunk. If ever there was a poster boy for the failure of “ex”-gays, he’s it.

1. Excellent stuff….. LOL

6. Paddyswurds 9 Feb 2012, 3:05pm

How is it possible to discriminate against “exgays” when no such thing has ever or ever will exist. There are those who pretend for what ever reasons to being “exgay” but it is usually at the behest and bullying of these xtian “reparative therapy” creeps.

1. True. Haven’t you noticed that EX-GAYS are ALWAYS, ALWAYS religious.

2. Father Ted 9 Feb 2012, 3:39pm

And ExGay is not a sexual orientation, you are either straight, gay, or bisexual. ExGay implies straight, so exgays would have to show discrimination for being straight.

7. Robert in S. Kensington 9 Feb 2012, 3:11pm

The day those absurdly fraudulent ex-gay scammers can prove a straight person can be converted to a gay orientation, then maybe, just maybe they’ll have some credibility. They should be shut down immediately and the perpetrators prosecuted.

8. Ok, so if you think about this, if reparative therapy actually works, then these “ex-gays” are actually “straights”. I don’t think anyone would argue, at least not effectively, that straights are in danger of being marginalized. So, how can they truly make an argument for discrimination. Use this as a legal defense, then PFOX either has to admit reparative therapy doesn’t work, and their so called “ex-gays” are merely repressing their urges, and are in fact still just gays, or accept that they are now straight, and not actually being marginalized. Furthermore, why doesn’t Starr just label himself an ex-gay, assuming he’s currently straight, and then I would think he can speak out against PFOX without being “discriminatory”, and without actually changing his orientation. Yes this all seems incredibly silly, but the entire story is ridiculous.

9. Scott Lovely 9 Feb 2012, 3:31pm

I took a look at their website, which has a lot of disinformation, and smears the professional organisation APA as “left leaning” so as to discredit it in the eyes of their supporters.

The group itself is not of “ex gays” , but “parents and friends of”; so how they can be discriminated against on the grounds of sexual orientation?

Seems to me they exist to give false hope to disappointed parents, and have a particular political or religious agenda that requires them to smear the APA. Whether they make money out of it I don’t know.

1. Can’t help but think that the ‘parents and friends of’ ex-gays are the ones who pushed them to get the ‘treatment’ in the first place.

10. Who rattled their cage?

11. Spiritbody 9 Feb 2012, 3:39pm

Im sure that they feel that they’re doing all this for the right reasons, but these people have no clue what damage they could be doing. Telling people that they arent acceptable the way they are and that they need to change just in order to live in the world. Thats not a very beneficial message to be sending out into the world, and potentially damaging

1. Father Ted 9 Feb 2012, 3:45pm

It may be they tell them they need to change so as not to spend eternity in Hell, not just to live in the world. Even more damaging message to some vulnerable people.

2. Father Ted 9 Feb 2012, 3:48pm

Also similar groups and individuals have persuaded Ugandans of the need for the Killthegays Bill, so that people will “change”, by force if necessary.

3. Scott Lovely 9 Feb 2012, 4:25pm

TruthWinsOut says they are funded by the AFA, which is listed as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Centre, which monitors such groups.

12. I wonder what would happen if somebody set up an organisation along exactly the same lines for “ex-straights”, spreading the equally fallacious claim that straight people could be liberated from their humdrum lives of reproductive drudgery and become happy, fun-loving gay folk instead.

Would these people support and welcome such a move? Probably not, but they’d have no grounds on which to object if they wanted to keep doing what they’re doing now. And it might get some of their bigoted subscribers to re-examine their prejudices a bit.

1. There is a parody online which follows the reparative therapy idea to it’s logical conclusion, this cracked me up…

1. GingerlyColors 11 Feb 2012, 7:39am

I’ve watched it and saved a copy to my hard drive. I thought it was brilliant. Pity the presenter, David Steel won’t try some of the reparative therapy – a handsome man like him shouldn’t be condemed to a life of ‘monosexuality’.

2. Father Ted 9 Feb 2012, 3:52pm

Well Ugandans and certain religious folk think that that is precisely what the Gay movement does, go around recruiting people, particularly schoolchildren. Ironically enough it is often evangelical that are actually recruiting in schools and elsewhere. Projecting much?

1. I blame the Village people… I mean that video they did about… what was it now, something about a ship or something… they were all chanting “we want you, we want you, we want you as a new recruit”.
        Republicans see that and they imagine guys dressed as red Indians and leather clad bikers and construction workers recruiting straight people into some kind of Tom of Finland cult.

1. Scott Lovely 9 Feb 2012, 4:20pm

Oops that was supposed to be a thumbs up, sorry.

13. Call in exorcists to clean the PFOX camp up. Listening to Tubular Bells …

14. Julian Morrison 9 Feb 2012, 4:14pm

The function of this group is worse than just being delusional about their own sexuality. This is a “support group” for PARENTS who are determined to beat, shame, torture, and otherwise coerce their innocent kids back into the closet. I do not exaggerate, Google “troubled teens”. They are named to mock PFLAG.

15. Scott Lovely 9 Feb 2012, 4:19pm

Article about the woman behind this organisation, and who funds it.

1. Scott Lovely 9 Feb 2012, 4:21pm

If it’s true about the funding, then they are funded by a hate group.

16. If such fliers are to be passed out at schools, the school should have the right to vet them for accuracy first. If they find inaccuracies in them, they should have the right to prohibit their dissemination.

I just have to add that, since we are talking about an issue with schools, it would be nice if the writer did a spell check. It’s organiZations not organiSations. It’s also demoniZation, not demoniSation.

1. “It’s organiZations not organiSations. It’s also demoniZation, not demoniSation.”

Only in the US. In British and International English we use the s .

It does seem odd that in the US any NGO has the right to pass out literature in schools, no matter how inappropriate or inaccurate.

1. No group has a “right” to have the school pass out their literature. But if the school decides to pass out literature for one group, they can’t refuse another group because the school officials disagree with that group’s message. Under the US Constitution, the various state constitutions and state and federal laws “viewpoint discrimination” by governmental entities is generally not permitted.

1. Scott Lovely 10 Feb 2012, 12:35am

So if they pass out something about how bad racism is, they are obliged to pass out something by a racist group too?

2. Paddyswurds 9 Feb 2012, 9:57pm

@Terry….
      ……I just have to add that, since we are talking about an issue with schools, it would be nice if the writer did a spell check. It’s organiZations not organiSations. It’s also demoniZation, not demoniSation…….A bit rich of a Yank telling the Brits how to spell. Sorry dear, but it is your spelling that is wrong as is most of Websters dictionary. Microsoft didn’t invent the English Language….The English did.

17. How can you be an ‘ex’gay’?

You are what you are. You cannot redefine how you are ‘programmed’ sexually!

As a way of explaining how I feel… the thought of getting it going with a woman makes me cringe!!

18. “Ann Widdecombe questioned the lack of availability of therapy for “gays who do not want to be gay””

What about black people who do not want to be black? why isn’t there therapy available for them to change colour, same thing basically.

1. GingerlyColors 10 Feb 2012, 6:49am

Didn’t Michael Jackson try it? He’s pushing up daisies now.

19. Deeside Will 9 Feb 2012, 5:59pm

Gay “cure” treatments are simply a fraud and when practised on teenagers are also a form of abuse. There is therefore no place in a school for literature promoting them, any more than there is a place for literature promoting, for example, an organization like NAMBLA.

20. If you want to self define as ‘ex-gay’, that’s up to you and should be your business. We all have a right to a private life – if there are things in the past you’d rather keep buried, that’s up to you. Not my way of doing things though.

I’m bisexual, and however many girls I go out with, it doesn’t make me ex-homosexual because I’m still attracted to men.

And yes, I AM attracted to women also. I’ve no reason to be in the closet :)

21. Everybody knows you can not trust a fox, they are sly and tricky. Some of their “ex gays” were never really gay but Christians pretending to be gay and then acting like they are not gay now when in fact they never were gay. They are tricky and the gay cure thing does not work. It does more harm than help.
    Do not let the fox trick you with it’s slick tricks. They need to be put out of business for messing with the minds of children using the Christian religion like they are some kind of psychiatrist. They need to be investigated for crimes against LGBT people.

22. ex gay is not an orientation dummies, try again!

23. GingerlyColors 10 Feb 2012, 6:48am

I find it reprehensible that people should repress their sexuality just to conform for the sake of a few bigots. I would like to know what the divorce rate is for ex-gays who marry the opposite sex. And how many ‘ex gays’ who are married have ‘a bit on the side’?

1. A straight woman marrying an “ex-gay” man. eeeww! I’m sorry but it’s just eeww.

2. Surely the right thing to do is encourage people to embrace and rejoice in their sexuality – Sex, love or lust for a consenting partner or partners is wonderful – that’s what people who have been shamed into loathing themselves should be told.

24. de Villiers 10 Feb 2012, 8:26am

I cannot see how this amounts to discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation. The opposition of the directeur is on the basis of the group’s ideology and not the orientation of the people within it. No doubt he would be as opposed to it whether the people espousing these views were gay or heterosexual.

25. Forcing Gays back into the closet is not a cure, it is another form of bullying cloaked in a ‘treatment’. These people need to try taking their own sexuality and live an opposite and un-natural existance, all because a minority in society has tried to make being gay seem wrong – Why are these monsters so obsessed with gays – Is it Gay Envy?

26. Here is no such thing as ex gay. You either werent actually gay or Have barricaded yourself deep in that closet.