Parishes ‘would collapse without gay clergy’

1. Personally I cannot understand why any gay person would want to prop up the church.

They should all be given a copy of Darwin’s ‘On the origin of species’ and then made to sit an exam on it.

1. A copy of “A Universe from Nothing” by Lawrence Krauss would do the trick just as well.

2. de Villiers 8 Feb 2012, 9:26pm

Evolution is a fact. It does not undermine religion.

1. Except that it shows the buybull up as the hollow, irrelevant work of fiction that it is,

3. de Villiers 8 Feb 2012, 9:26pm

Neither does physics.

1. Belief in ‘god’ is no more valid than belief in the tooth fairy though.

2. Evolution and physics are testable propositions though.

1. Well said Jonpol.

4. KatieMurphy 10 Apr 2012, 4:35am

Also Dawkins book – the God delusion

2. Robert in S. Kensington 8 Feb 2012, 6:15pm

This may bode well for the future of the Anglican church in the UK. As more clergy support equality, opposition to same-sex civil marriage will diminish now that it has been assured it won’t be mandatory to recognise or allow a religious element for CPs. It should be a matter of conscience for those members who wish to assist us even if the church doesn’t support it as universal policy. How can it possibly survive by alienating an entire group of people who it depends on in many areas of the country?

1. The church of England also needs to get rid of disgusting bigots like John Sentamu, and have a leader with a spine – unlike Rowan Atkinson (sorry, Williams).

Actually now that I think about it Mr Bean would be a perfect leader. He never speaks, therefore he would not try to meddle in our secular democracy like the current leader does.

1. You have really done it now! Reminding me of this:

3. Can we please move on from all the god nonsense? Let the believers get on with it and we can all move ahead.

1. What’s that supposed to mean? Get on with what precisely? This issue is important to some people – some gay people are religious, even if you’re not. If it doesn’t interest you, don’t read it; don’t comment on it.

4. Craig Denney 8 Feb 2012, 9:05pm

“the parish system in some parts of the country would face utter collapse”

Good! And out of the ashes a new council will be born. A Council that encompasses everyone.

My parish Council is a partnership (more like a collusion) between the churches, the Parish Council (most of the councilors are religious) and the local Press. They control everything. I once tried to stand for the Council and they blocked me and whenever I try to start community projects (not all gay) I get blocked.

5. The vicar in my Granny’s village was gay (it was an open secret) – years ago he used to come round to her house for tea and cigarettes when I was a kid (well we both had tea and I smoked the cigarettes…)

This just reminded me of him – he was a nice guy – we got on pretty well.

Unfortunately my parents were less accepting of people being gay than my granny. Go figure.

6. This is good news and a step in the right direction be it all a rather small one. But a step all the same and the first rays of the light of hope filtering through. I pray that the Lord God changes the hearts and minds of the Church of English to accept and recognise all gay priests in the Anglican Church and Communion as soon as possible.

7. Vauxhall-Boy 9 Feb 2012, 9:31am

Great news to see more strong vocal open support of LGBT matters in the church

8. But where would they go? Also, I have never heard of or read about any pulpit trans-clergyman or woman.

9. I once knew a Parish priest and his curate who were in a relationship and were devoted to a poor Parish near Durham. Their relationship was a ‘secret’, but I reckon some of the parishioners must have known. It seemed an isolated and difficult life in a place where a lot of clergy wouldn’t have wanted to work. Loads of gay and lesbian clergy must be in this position.