Rebel alliance slams Star Wars game over gay characters

1. I read the forums. There is no backlash or outrage. FRC, seriously? Gaming is part of the culture war? Get a life. Even if it’s online.

2. Jack Holroyde 31 Jan 2012, 10:17am

Bioware has a history of embracing equality. In response to the Zevran scene in Dragon Age:Origins, somebody complained on the forums – and was told to take their business elsewhere.
    Again and again, Bioware have stood up to the haters, and produced excellent games with a decent LGBT representation, even if it means them losing revenue from bigots.
    They truly deserve the business of the LGBT community.
    On a geek note, anyone thats interested in fantasy thats NOT played Origins (whether you consider yourself a gamer or not), I suggest you pick it up. It is the BEST fantasy game made. Ever. Simples.

1. I can only second completely what Jack has said above. Bioware have really been forward in making their games more and more open and honest regarding sexuality and have defended their stance completely.

Origins is fantastic. Get yourself an X-Box or PS3, sit down and just enjoy.

1. it’s definately worth emailing Bioware to let them know that the support for their work involving LGBT representation is there.

3. Dr Robin Guthrie 31 Jan 2012, 10:41am

The Family Research Council really do not want gay people to exist. Anywhere.

Well, sorry, but we do and we will be in your bigoted discriminatory faces until it hurts.

PS. If you do some “Family Research” you will find that gay people come from families.

Fckn Goons.

4. So having romantic storylines involving giant space slugs or blue skinned multiple limbed aliens is perfectly acceptable but OMG that man and that man are kissing is the issue? Idiots

5. I’m buying the game when the relationship update is put in, who hasn’t wanted to date a Jedi master?

6. Though I’m not a ‘gamer’, I do love science fiction and it’s about fracking time the sci-fi universe had some gay characters other than lesbians (which are simply a straight male fantasy). It’s been WAY TOO LONG in coming. Anyway, we always knew Luke was gay (or so he was played by gay actor Mark Hamill), but he never came out of the closet.

1. I find it funny that the FRC are focusing on the gay issue here. Clearly murder, violence and even torture (which are all in the game) are ok by them, but same sex romances aren’t?

They have their priorities all wrong.

2. Spanner1960 1 Feb 2012, 9:12am

Er… Mark Hamill is most certainly not gay.
      He has been married for 34 years and has three children.

As for the character, I guess that is up to the viewer to decide.

7. Homophobic biggots didn’t stop Rockstar, Maxis, EA or Lionhead so they sure as hell wont stop Bioware.

8. I’m wondering how C3PO went under the FRC radar for 3 decades… I mean do they really want to bring this “gay characters are infiltrating Star Wars” issue up NOW?!?
    I think that’s kind of shutting the door after the horse has bolted.

9. orangegoblin 31 Jan 2012, 11:35am

Its a bit more than a fireside embrace in Dragon Age: Origins, its a full on bum in cut scenes, you can’t see the willy going in the hole or anything though. Think 80s movie sex scene.

In Dragon Age 2 there were two gays you could romance, one who would move in with you and one who would only shag you and then dump you.

Dragon Age Origins is one of the best games ever. I wish Zevran, the gay elf you can shag, was a bit less spanishy, but you can’t have it all.

10. On another note as a committed gamer I am happy to see that bioware are taking the next step.

For the record even without the gay relationship patch being included the Star Wars game is still mindblowing.

11. Patrick Power 31 Jan 2012, 12:06pm

Great news from Bioware. However; I would like to point out that there is a VERY large fan group called the Rebel Alliance. This headline made me think the story was about that group. Knowing a number of members, it would be nice if you would change the title so that people don’t think the fan group is homphobic and bigoted like the FRC.

12. It’s ok to let kids kill things in games qand decapitate people but heaven forbid they should learn there are gay people out there.
    Compromise: Gay and straight relationship options available or none
    Straights ca’t have their cake and eat it

13. Whenever I read things like this I imagine a load of evangelical crazies on their knees collectively wailing, “Oh won’t somebody think of the Children”, clutching their bibles close to their chests in one hand, whilst the other hand reaches for the skies.

How can you call yourself “The Family Research Council” and expect anyone with half a brain to take you seriously?

14. Lol. Let them get their knickers in a twist. I’ll certainly be buying this game in the future.

1. I’m a parent, and I celebrate this change. So there.

15. JEDIpartner 31 Jan 2012, 1:44pm

I’m a gay gamer and a Star Wars fan. I had better well be represented in any future games! FRC is frakking stupid when they have an issue with that and don’t have an issue with all of the violence and rape that goes on in some other games. STFU, FRC!

16. Wow, another of PinkNews’ famously badly written posts. Poorly written, confusing sentence structure; gross exaggerations of FRC’s effectiveness, dangling paragraphs and generally disjointed presentation. Every once in a while one has to wonder if PinkNews’ writers write their posts in another language and then Google translate them into English.

17. Remember, the FRC is a listed “hate” group. And it is also a non-profit organisation, which enables it to solicit for donations while paying its employees (like Perkins) fees from those donations. It is financially expedient for them to name an “enemy” and then pass the hat round for donations to fight us. In short – it is a scam.

18. The update to allow same sex couples isn’t due until March. And this game was not made for or marketed to children. Of course, when someone like Perkins frets that children will be swayed or influenced by seeing LGBT folks, all he does is suggest that he himself if open to that kind of influence. I grew up surrounded by heterosexual influences, in all forms of media, and yet I’m still gay. In other words, what people see in the media has no bearing on sexuality and his protest is a nonsense (but hey, it might garner some donations so he can be paid by the FRC…see how that works?)

19. Bioware will be laughing all the way to the bank. Mass Effect, Dragon Age? Still there, gay romances and all. Even non-bioware games have the opportunity of gay romances/character who are gay (notably Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim, though you sadly don’t get to consumate.).

We’re going forward, and we’re not going to stop.

20. “It’s time to show companies who the Force is really with!”

Well, it’s certainly not with the FRC! A bitter, backward group of people fixated on sex and trying to compensate for their own inadequacies by hitting out at others.

21. This game looks good. I may buy it.

22. I had same sex sims 10 years ago and they could do everything their opposite sex characters could do from sex to drowning each other. The FRC need to open their eyes – this battle was lost over a decade ago.

23. It seems the DarK Side (FRC) is back to their old tricks of trying to take over the planet. May the Gay force be with us in our fight to overcome the evil empire. Yoda says yes FRC there are LGBT people in the universe and they are studying the Dark Sides plans on how to destroy the Evil Dark side and the Evil Emperor who wears prada. The Force is With Us.

24. “but parents sure aren’t [sic]”

Can someone better at grammar tell me what’s wrong here?

1. Spanner1960 1 Feb 2012, 9:13am

Talk proper like what I does.

25. Deviant sex acts do not define equality. I don’t support banging guys in the ass as rights.

Also If they want to put fags in their games than so be it. I don’t care, it’s their game and their right just as it’s mine to call em fags, benders, butt pirates etc…

1. Yet you call yourself ‘bman’…? Confused much?