Gay footballers film boosts BBC3 audience by 50%

1. “Football is run by a group of straight, white, old men. Football is clearly not that comfortable with women in board rooms, clearly not that comfortable with black people in management positions. And so, when it comes to gay people, that just blows their mind.”
    Got it in one, Mr Amaechi. I’m sure many of the players have Gay mates or family…its not them who are stopping Gay players from coming out.

1. ‘…run by straight’, or closeted… would be more accurate.

1. I was always the one who thought that homophobic people are closeted, but I think some people are just full of hatred it’s not just gay people it’s probablly women and different cultures too.

2. Pip Squeak 31 Jan 2012, 1:08pm

I enjoyed this but it was a badly put together documentary, the camera was shaking all over the place, even it static interviews, some of her questions were very amatuer (I understand she was young) and some of the itnerviews were conducted with SO much noise in the background I couldnt hear what was going on! BUT enjoyable all the same.

1. The BBC putting young, trendy amateurs over experienced, knowledgable old hands? This doesn’t sound like the BBC at all!

1. agree – this was a shambles of a programme – the poor girl was desperate to “find one”! Probing questions – not at all..

2. You realise BBC Three is meant for a younger demographic, right? They purposefully try to give amateurs a chance when it comes to their BBC Three documentaries, as opposed to the documentaries aired on Two or Four.

Besides that, younger crews work cheaper. What do you think happens when a company has their budget massively cut?

1. I’m from an older demographic and I thought it was well put together and well presented. It gave views from the different perspectives of those involved in the game, something I found particularly useful in gaining an overview.

2. Miserable c@w. It was an excelent programe.

3. It was a good programme. I did not like the way in which John Sahanu patronised his duaghter of his comments about his brother. I was even more disgusted with when asked would he change things if he could have the chance over again to which he stuttered rather than saying yes. It is clear that he is a homophobe and with working in Nigeria where I belive he is the host of their version of Deal or No Deal, the homophobia is staying but and even getting stronger. Amal should have pressed him more on his comments about Justin and asked why preserving the Fashanu name was more precious to him than his own brother.

1. Whoops spelling error John Fashanu!

2. it wasn’t a good programme – it couldn’t decide whether it was about Justin or Amal. We did not need to see her chatting to her made or endlessly driving her sweet little mini.
      At the time John disowned his brother which cannot have helped his mental state. I do recall that John was happy to take a poof’s money as he played for Elton John owned watford didn’t he?

1. While I agree there was some needless bits in it, it do go some way to exposing the lack of visible gay players in the British leagues. Yes, it could have been move about Justin but ultimately it was not meant to be about him, more the lack of gay players. The Chairman of the FA was too gutless to talk as we were most of the over payed players. And yes it coudl have been much better but after all th is was BBC3, if the BBC wanted to put more money into the programme they would have used a professional investigaative journalist.

4. Mumbo Jumbo 31 Jan 2012, 1:48pm

And Joey Barton made complete sense and came across a a nice, thoughtful guy – words I never thought I would utter…..

*virtual handshake*

5. Football is for straight men who are manly, not limp wristed militant whining homosexuals

1. Just get lost”………..

2. I wunt say that, my boyfriend plays football every week at the local sports arena, and makes me watch football and every other sport every chance he gets, and unless he’s not telling me somethink hes gay

3. lol! Manly men in football…you’re having a girraffe!

4. Who says, ‘manly’? Are you a Victorian?

5. football is for everyone even those who insult

1. kj if your manly i hope i become gay

6. Would that be those ‘straight men’ who take their shirts off at the end of matches, hug each other every time they score a goal and then share a communal hottub afterwards then?
      I must’ve been thinking of a different game.

1. Father Ted 31 Jan 2012, 2:44pm

Rugby?

7. “Football is for straight men who are manly, not limp wristed militant whining homosexuals”

That pretty much counts you out Matthew – making cowardly attacks in a gay site isn’t quite “manly” at all…. just makes you a bitch, really.

8. Oh please, say the same thing about Rugby to Garath Thomas, I’m sure you’d have the fun kind of concussion, Matthew.

6. An excellent programe, what a mature young lady addressing some difficult personal issues. Sad that there is still so much homophobia.
    Glad the viewing figures were high.
    Well done BBC3

1. the young lady got nowhere fast and was almost pathetic in her questions especially when on her quest “hoping to find one”! Can’t we all admire the depth of analysis of why rugby is different?
      Matt Lucas had her sussed. Her dad obviously did not however he can failed to have noticed the film crew attatched to his daughter and prepared a few answers and acted emotions

7. I think John Fashanu would be well aware of which members of football management and the FA are homophobic.

He needs to start naming names.

It is the FA and football management that are mostly responsible for homophobia in the game.

It is a tired and lazy excuse to blame fans for footballs’s homophobia.

The homophobes on the board of managment of the FA and the football clubs are not fit for purpose in their roles.

They need to be weeded out of the game.

But untill people start identifying them then the FA will continue with its patheticly bigotted behaviour.

1. Why would he name names? He’s probably the biggest homophobe of them all, showing basically no remorse over driving his own brother to suicide.

1. “I think John Fashanu would be well aware of which members of football management and the FA are homophobic.

He needs to start naming names.”

Why should he name names? This is not a witch hunt except among those of us on here who expect the world to change overnight.

Yes, the management side of football are a bunch of ignoramuses and tossers, but it is not – yet – illegal to hold personal prejudices or yet technically possible to use some form of electro-shock therapy to force them to respect us!!!

8. It’s not exactly your typical BBC3 ‘striptease, young, dumb in Ibiza my daughter’s a sex addict’ show, is it. Maybe that would explain the viewing figures. Coincidentally, BBC4’s viewing figures dropped 50% around the same time.

1. Father Ted 31 Jan 2012, 2:45pm

“BBC4′s viewing figures dropped 50% around the same time.”

That would be me.

2. My guess is that most people who tuned in expected to find gay footballers being exposed in the style of the N.O.W…

9. David Nottingham 31 Jan 2012, 2:56pm

The black woman representative from the FA was completely unconvincing. She knew full well that football management and the FA have institutionalised homophobia at their very heart. Its good to see the FA at least looking as though they are tackling it!

1. They are not though.

The FA is as institutionally racist as it always was.

They have PR campaigns to pretend they are not anymore.

10. Suddenly Last Bummer 31 Jan 2012, 3:58pm

And broadcast on the same day the inquest into Gary Speed’s suicide was being held.

11. Firstly the FA needs to be dragged into the 21st Century. They were told in 2005 to clean their act up. Nothing has been done surprise surprise. Until the FA are sorted there will be no change further down the chain involving the Clubs and their management.

12. Joey Barton was the best thing about this program. He seemed to sense the mood of the whole situation and good on him for being honest! A small hand clap as well to the Millwall players who spoke about looking after your team mates. This was impressive despite there reputation. Though I did feel at points it was a bit of a ‘witch hunt’ on Amal’s part!

13. I enjoyed this documentary but they didn’t really inform me on that much. Most of it I could have worked out myself. But hopefully the documentary will make some gay footballer somewhere consider coming out in the near future.

14. It was ok. But learned nothing new from it.

John i think does deeply regret his actions but is still angry and upset. It was terrible what he did to his brother but you need to remember family upbringings and and that times were different. He seemed angry he never got to tell what he said to his daughter to his brother. Its not your gay its the stories and how he acted.

Sadly they both made mistakes and it distanced them and now John must now live with the sadness of mever resolving things with his brother.

The commentqtor guy i found much worse. He saw nothing wrong other players calling you a name which is a derogatory and i dont wish to type.

Joey was very thoughtful and open. Was the best bit for me. Shame they gave it such a short amount of time at the end.

Unlike the F.A spokeswoman who was pointless. It was hmm lets show we are progressive and send a non white old man out there >.>

The F.A could say tomorrow zero tolerance on homophobia but they wont.

15. A very good programe. Not perfect but it had heart. I am old enough to have been disgusted with John at the time and I still am. However, at least I know more of his feelings. Amal came over as a very nice girl.Pity someone like her was not around fo Justin.

16. I also find it quite ironic too that when she was at the Millwall training ground, not one of the black players wanted to talk about homosexuality, just the white players. Either that or it was terrible editing on the part of the BBC!

1. As the man said the younger players didn’t want to talk. What has colour got to do with it?

1. Because she was dealing with a double edged sword, Justin Fashanu being gay and black was also an issue. It would have been good to get some vioews of the black players.

17. who new it was on….why didnt Pink remind us…

1. its on iplayer, so you can still watch it now.

1. Thanks Lizzie….

18. Mark Handsome 31 Jan 2012, 9:33pm

many professional players watching that must be pissed off at the assumption of them being homophobes, im sure most younger players couldnt give a monkeys.
    it may not have been the best programme technically but good on the beeb for airing it, getting people talking about it is a step forward

1. Do you really think that homophobia is less prevalent in the young? I don’t think age has anything to do with it. Do you not think its more institutional?

1. Mark Handsome 1 Feb 2012, 6:23pm

thats 2 seperate issues
        yes homophobia IS less prevalent in the young, the Scottish Youth Parliaments work for equal marriages is a great example
        and yes, institutional h’phobia is rife in the footbal league and other places, but those dinosaurs cant live for ever, the winds of change are still blowing
        and we need to stop assuming so many straights are homophobic, more and more arent but often get tarred with the same brush

2. agree with that – doubt a money driven commercial chanel whould have bothered

19. Just watched this on iPlayer.

It was a sincere programme although a bit unconvincing in parts. What research did she do beforehand for goodness sake. A simple Google search would have given her the information about her father disowning his brother and so the ‘revelation’ on film was surely staged.
    I felt less angry with John Fashanu than I had expected to – he clearly is embarrassed by his lack of support years ago but it would much more honest of him to say that he was not brave enough to stand up to the extremely vile press coverage Justin was getting at the time.
    I was around at the time and we do forget just how awful it was.
    The interview with John McGovern was very telling, he was squirming, and demonstrated better then anything else John Amechi’s point about Football’s leaders being scared rigid about the issue.

20. watched it yesterday and I was impressed. Amal was sincere and, joey barton was cool. The idiot bbc presenter should get sacked and, john f says he wouldn’t have done anything differently. it shows what kind of a man he is.

I found it warming my cold heart

21. We watched the first five or ten minutes and gave up on it. It was definitely ‘homophobia in sport for beginners’ and a bit obvious and old hat for an lgbt audience. Amal overdid the wide-eyed and wondering approach, but it was probably a necessary programme for a mass audience, and especially a young mass audience. Good on her for doing it.

1. Got to agree with this. At least the programme took place, but it does seem there was very little research.
      The interviews were simply dreadful and produced no insight at all.
      I thought the general thrust of wide eyed Amil was to “find one” (a gay footballer) was verging on the pathetic.