In Photos: Peter Tatchell 60th Birthday party fundraiser

1. Anthony Carter 29 Jan 2012, 1:10pm

Don’t see many other 60 year old men at the party. Not invited, or camera shy ?

1. Benjamin Cohen 29 Jan 2012, 1:11pm

It was open to everyone! But it’s a student night!

2. I don’t think many sixty year olds go to gay bars of a night, maybe afternoons.

2. Benjamin Cohen 29 Jan 2012, 1:11pm

This was a pleasure to host, I’m so glad that we held this for Peter. It’s hard to imagine people coming out to celebrate the 60th birthday of a lot of other campaigners.

1. Serena MacKellen?

3. Not many lookers, are there.

4. TheLizzie12 29 Jan 2012, 7:13pm

Peter Tatchell is a GIANT and I agree he is now a National Treasure, but I wish the gay media – including Pink News – would start promoting a wider range of voices from the LGBT community. As a gay man of 54, I welcome seeing Mr T in the ‘news’, gay or otherwise, but there are more of us out here who are ready, willing and able to take ‘centre stage’ and comment on what is happening in the world. The gay world does not begin and end with Mr T!

1. Carl Rowlands 29 Jan 2012, 7:33pm

But for a long time Peter was the only one with the guts to challenge and shout out about us. Who else took on Robert Mugabe?

1. Many people have done a lot, without the publicity.

2. TheLizzie12 30 Jan 2012, 3:29pm

Peter was the “only one”…I don’t think so, and he has always been careful to acknowledge others who have made a noise. My previous comment was not really about Peter, but about the media – gay and otherwise – who focus on him almost exclusively as THE gay voice, and exclude others who have things to say. Peter does court the media, and I don’t have a problem with that, because I am proud of him as a spokesperson for our community, but researchers, reporters, interviewers, editors, etc, in the media are lazy buggas who should be more adventurous and seek out a wider range of LGBT spokespersons.

5. Happy birthday, dear Peter! You are a hero.

6. Suddenly Last Bummer 30 Jan 2012, 11:27am

That cake looks like it was jizzed on. Who’s the cutie in the first few photos with Peter? I would so nail him- the cutie that is. The guys in photo 11 need to lay off the tweezers and tan.

7. Peter Tatchell 1 Feb 2012, 2:25am

Thanks v much to QueerlyOut for a fab night – and a yummy cake