A prose poem for Peter Tatchell, by Stephen Fry

1. So often right, dammit, Peter, and well said Stephen.

2. j c gallimore 25 Jan 2012, 12:57am

TIME TO MEET REEL QUEEN FOR YOU KNIGHTHOOD MATE

1. He’d probably turn it down. He’s often spoken about the honours system being “rotten” and how people like Alan Turing should be posthumously be awarded knighthoods. He said this in an Independent interview in 2010:

“Despite such consistent attempts at humiliating various members of the establishment, they have, it transpires, repeatedly tried to reward Tatchell. “I don’t know who these people were but people have sounded me out about an OBE, a knighthood and a peerage,” he says back at his flat. “I refused all three.””

3. Hooray for Peter!

4. carrie baker 25 Jan 2012, 1:49am

congratulations, and happy 60th birthday Peter, Continue to Rise
    Continue to help remove the bigotry diguise,
    Continue, to help ignorant people Realize
    About the atrocities, the horrors , the detrement , the unrest of a nation of abuses, that should bring tears to everyones Eyes,
    Yes, my friend we need you and other humane society of human rights to
    Continue to Rise

Is that Poem enough for you , from a poet to an honary receipatent,

1. Dr Robin Guthrie 25 Jan 2012, 2:14am

That was nice Carrie. Well said..

5. “You would hate to be called it
    But you are our knight
    Our champion
    Our friend.”

So true. Thank you, Stephen.

Kudos to Peter xox

6. staircase2 25 Jan 2012, 2:11am

Very much agree with the sentiment (but the poetry is somewhat shoddy to be honest! lol)

Happy 60th, Peter (and: I love you, Stephen – oh yes I do…!)

1. Does it matter! It’s the thought that counts!

7. “@stephenfry: They didn’t actually ask for a poem & I don’t think of it as one: just some thoughts on Peter Tatchell on his birthday: http://t.co/2h5VjV3R”

8. St. Peter of Bermondsey.

9. I feel vindicated as I read Mr Fry’s words – I have felt all those emotions about ‘Brave’ Mr Tatchell’s endeavours which so often result in changing bigoted minds – What a truly amazing man you really are. Thank you

10. Wordsworth it ain’t. Can’t we have someone OTHER than Fry sticking his oar in as always.

1. you obviously haven’t realised there is a lot of people on this news website publicly wishing Peter a happy birthday, get off the Stephen Fry Hate wagon and just wish Peter a happy birthday FFS!

2. The problem is of course with occasional poetry itself. I mean think of how many dud poems have been written by poet-laureates to celebrate the birthday, marriage or coronation of this or that royal over the years – or should I say centuries.

3. And James! bitterness continues. I thought I read you weren’t coming on this site anymore?

11. That’s not a prose poem.

It’s free verse.

Nice though underwhelming…

12. glovepuppet 25 Jan 2012, 3:58pm

OMG, us gay guys are sooo bitchy at times !!!! lets all celebrate and wish Peter a Happy Birthday. As for Mr. Fry, lets not mock the gentleman, his poem is very nice and sincere, thank you Mr. Fry.

1. The poem (which I agree is free verse) may not be great but the sentiment is and Peter is. An inspiration. Happy birthday.

13. Paul Halsall 25 Jan 2012, 6:01pm

Someone should should nominate Peter for the House of Lords.

I may not like that body, but as long as it exists, we need Peter in it.

14. A PROUD CANADIAN 25 Jan 2012, 7:17pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MR TATCHELL ! ALSO, PLEASE ACCEPT MY MOST SINCERE HEARTFELT GRATITUDE FOR DEVOTING YOUR LIFE FOR HUMAN RIGHTS ALL OVER THE WORLD ….. I SO DO HOPE CANADA COULD SERVE AS EXAMPLE TO THE WORLD !!!!!!

15. Graham Short 25 Jan 2012, 7:21pm

Perfect poem, Stephen, for the birthday boy! I was privileged to meet Peter today for the first time, on this, his birthday. What a lovely, lovely man. His sincerity and concern for his fellow man touched me.

16. Andrew John (freelance writer) 26 Jan 2012, 7:58am

It’s not a prose poem: it’s free verse.

1. Andrew John (freelance writer) 26 Jan 2012, 8:03am

Hmm, just realised one or two others have clocked that, too!

Nice thoughts, anyway, for someone who’s been through the mill for the sake of LGBT rights and dignities.

17. Happy Birthday Peter and thank you for all you have done!

And nicely done Stephen :)

18. Damien Benedict McVey 27 Jan 2012, 10:44am

Much is owed by many to so few…I am one of the many, Peter Tatchell one of the very few…