Jeff Goldblum to play one of Glee’s gay dads

1. Does anyone get tired of the Hollywood lie which says:

“Gay actors cannot come out because it would affect their career negatively as people would not accept these actors in straight roles.”

Yet when there is a gay role to be played then 99% iof the time the role will go to a straight actor,

The creator of ‘Glee’ is the openly gay Ryan Murphy.

Are we REALLY meant to believe that he does not know a middle aged gay actor who could have played this role.

Don’t get me wrong – I like Jeff Goldblum and he is a good actor.

But if Hollywood keeps persisting with the lie that a gay actor cannot come out for fear of damaging his career, then it’s only fair to expect Hollywood to ONLY cast gay actors for gay roles to redress this balance.

1. jamestoronto 18 Jan 2012, 5:34pm

Openly gay Neil Patrick Harris plays an incorrigible womaniser in How I Met Your Mother. So this is not 100% true. Although I do agree more has to be done to bring some balance to casting roles.

1. Ok.

But it’s 99% true.

2. auntie babs 18 Jan 2012, 5:46pm

I read on FB that Sam “Hearts On Fire” Harris was being considered for the role of one of the gay dads. Personally I’d have thought he would have been better casting. But of course he’s openly gay.

3. Galadriel1010 18 Jan 2012, 10:15pm

Aww, I was hoping for Barrowman. He would have loved it. I might even have watched it.

1. Is he old enough? He seems a lot younger…

1. Galadriel1010 19 Jan 2012, 10:43am

He’s in his mid 40s, whereas Goldblum is 60 this year. He seems more age appropriate to be the dad of an 18 year old.

1. Yes but John Barrowman might accidently break into his fake Scottish accent (or is it his Canadian accent which is the fake one? I can never tell.)

1. And Barrowman simply can’t act.

2. jamestoronto 19 Jan 2012, 12:38pm

Barrowman’s non-Scottish accent is definitely not Canadian — fake or otherwise — it is more mid-West or mid-Atlantic US. When he speaks “North American” it definitely shows that he spent little if any time in Canada or around Canadians.

3. Galadriel1010 20 Jan 2012, 11:13am

Neither of them is fake. Both his accents (neither of which is Canadian) were acquired by living in the area.

2. Also it was already established that one of Rachel’s dads is Jewish, and Jeff Goldblum looks more Jewish than John Barrowman.