Cardinal apologises to gays for “inflammatory” Ku Klux Klan comparison

1. Typical lame response after the damage is done, they seem to have this turned into an art.

1. Jock S. Trap 16 Jan 2012, 9:20am

Indeed, very lame.

2. If the Archbishop is going to make inflammatory comments on Fox News then he should seek to have a live broadcast on Fox News to apologise (or if they are unwilling to do this seek another network to do this on and explain that Fox News had refused to provide a platform) … a statement on the internet is welcome, but weak in comparison …

1. Robert in S. Kensington 9 Jan 2012, 1:34pm

Not going to happen. Fox News or Faux News as some call it is owned by Rupert Murdoch, need I say more? Murdoch supports Rick Santorum’s bid for the presidency.

1. I appreciate that, Robert

What I am trying to say is that the Bishop should try and ensure the same prominency for his apology as he did for his initial inflammatory comments …

Given that Fox are unlikely to permit a pro-gay apology on their network – the Bishop should make clear when using CNN, ABC or whoever that Fox were approached and declined the interview …

1. Jock S. Trap 16 Jan 2012, 9:20am

Yes, it does show up the media, somewhat doesn’t it?!

2. Jock S. Trap 16 Jan 2012, 9:19am

Indeed, it won’t happen because he’s just interested in people knowing his original comments not him being sorry for them.

2. Jock S. Trap 16 Jan 2012, 9:16am

Indeed Stu. He knew what he was going to say. He knew he was going to offend. So why can’t he do a as public an apology as his comments in the first place.
      Nothing but a bloomin hypocrite.

3. de Villiers 9 Jan 2012, 11:34am

I wonder who wrote the apology.

1. Jock S. Trap 16 Jan 2012, 9:15am

Exactly, not the Cardinal I bet!

4. Considering the Catholic priesthood is predominantly populated by pedophiles and child molesters, he’s hardly one to offer criticism of any other group. Anyway, I’m surprised anyone even cares what these morons say about anything or anyone.

1. Along with the Protestant extremists they are trying to create a meme, being emulated by their people over here, that it is intolerant of us gays to resist their persecution of us and to insist on being treated as equals to the rest of society. It’s a sort of doublethink worthy of the book 1984.

5. He said: “You know, you don’t want the gay liberation movement to morph into something like the Ku Klux Klan, demonstrating in the streets against Catholicism.”

Personally I think both sides have gotten this completley wrong. It is quite obvious to me that he was not comparing the gay liberation movement to the KKK. Instead his use of the KKK here was a metaphoric analogy. The KKK being a group with beliefs that it was trying to enforce on others, deliberately attempting to interupt other peoples beliefs and trying to distrupt lives on a deliberate level. To me his analogy was just trying to say he didn’t want the gay liberation movement to become a group that became so self involved that it ignored other peoples wishes (such as moving the time back so that the church service wasn’t interupted). He wasn’t (to me at least) comparing gay people to members of the KKK par se.

That’s where I think the gay movement has taken his comments out of context and blown it all out of proportion.

On the other side I think his anology was woefully misinformed. I don’t think the gay liberation movement was being deliberately obtuse with regards to the church service, and the time movement was due to the numbers. I would have thought little to no attention would have been paid to the church service as it wasn’t deemed an important enough factor (one of many). There was no deliberate protest to the Catholic Church, unlike the KKK who absolutley protested against the Civil rights movement.

And that is why I think his analogy is incorrect.

I think the gay side have taken his statements completley out of context, and I think his statement was stupid in whatever context it was intended.

1. “To me his analogy was just trying to say he didn’t want the gay liberation movement to become a group that became so self involved that it ignored other peoples wishes”

Given the other ridiculous and hateful bigotry his church has said in the past, I find your opinion in this matter to be some what naïve and one sided.

Even the cardinal’s aide, Daniel Avila, once suggested recently the Devil can enter a mothers womb to make her child gay. This is grounds for medication and observation in my opinion, not something that is seen as “misinterpreted”.

The correct analogy is the KKK being more like the catholic church itself:- both are bigoted, power hungry, and morally perverse and hypocritical.

1. Well, I realised I was opening up myself for a lot of hate with my comment, but I still stand by it. From the way he has said it, it seems to me that he just didn’t have the fore thought or common sense to see how his comment would be taken out of context, not that he directly wanted to compare people to the KKK group. He even says the words ”Morph into”… which suggests to me that he didn’t believe the gay liberation movement is at that stage, but could be…

I wouldn’t call it naive to believe so either, in fact, and I don’t mean this offensivley, I think it naive to believe that everyone under the same ‘social stamp’ has the same opinion or agenda. Just because the man is a Catholic doesn’t instantly make him evil, no more than just because I’m gay I am a KKK member…

And I personally wouldn’t call the catholic church as a whole bigoted, power hungry, morally perverse or hypotcritical myself. Members of it’s leadership certainly may be, but I think the majority of pink news readers need to remind themselves that the catholics they read about, or in fact any christian denomination that appears in the media does so because the media believes it a worth while story… And what else does the media judge as worth while? Sex scandals, drug abuse, fashion faux pa’s… The majority of catholics I have met (including relatives of mine) have all been wonderful open, loving people. And would you believe it, I even know gay christians! *shock* But does the good they do go into the media? No.

I really do believe this story has been blown out of proportion. We have a man here, who’s church service was interupted. When he asked if the pride could be moved back he was refused. Out of annoyance he’s said a comment which he didn’t have the fore thought to realise it would be taken out of context and turned into an offensive remark.

1. He should get NO leeway at all, no chance to repair “mis-speaking”,
          His organization works diligently to curtail the rights and freedoms of others. He starts off with a major handicap.

Before he is given any “benefit of the doubt”, he would have to AMPLY demonstrate that his organization is working to reverse their hateful stance on sexual minorities.

His excuse is the equivalent of Hitler (yeah, I went there) apologizing for killing a million Jews in Germany, while actively killing 5 million elsewhere.

1. Jock S. Trap 16 Jan 2012, 9:12am

Indeed, Mickey, indeed!!

2. Nathan, I initially had the same thoughts about what he said, then found out he’d said them AFTER the organisers had over the time of the march back to it original slot so as not to disturb them. So the remarks probably were an attempt to cash in on and spread the gays-as-oppressors meme that the religious right are trying to create ( without any sense of irony that it is they who are doing the oppressing).

But you are right about lay Catholics, most I know are very gay friendly.

3. “I think it naive to believe that everyone under the same ‘social stamp’ has the same opinion or agenda. Just because the man is a Catholic doesn’t instantly make him evil”

The you obviously haven’t read this, do do you think covering up child abuse is okay?

This cardinal is mentioned by name!

Sorry, but you reek of catholic apologist. No one makes an “off the cuff” comparison with the KKK unless they have darker undertones or intent.

1. Jock S. Trap 16 Jan 2012, 9:14am

Agreed!!

4. Jock S. Trap 16 Jan 2012, 9:11am

What a load of crap…why even mention Gay and KKK in the same sentence unless he meant to offend. It’s what people like him do.

2. Jock S. Trap 16 Jan 2012, 9:09am

I think Catholics who think like this are two-faced, bigotted and hypocrites. They just project their own evil ill and blame all else. They contribute nothing progressive or constructive and should be silenced.

6. A “inflammatory analogy”?

No, your “eminence”, its was a stupid analogy

Mad idea:- Worry less about a legal assembly like gay pride, more focus on why you think its morally correct to defend some of your staff that were raping children, we’ll all be in a win-win situation.

1. Jock S. Trap 16 Jan 2012, 9:13am

Indeed Will. It seems there are more dangerous things the church would rather keep quiet about while attacking those living and getting on with there lives.
      Sounds like jealousy to me, if you think about it.

7. Jock S. Trap 9 Jan 2012, 12:45pm

Make me laugh really. There’s nothing worse than a intolerant, single minded, shallow group of extremists accusing all others of being…. well like them!

1. Rashid Karapiet 11 Jan 2012, 9:55am

Good old Jockstrap, still trying to be taken seriously with this schoolboyish pseudonym.

1. Jock S. Trap 11 Jan 2012, 12:14pm

Yawn…

2. Jock S. Trap 16 Jan 2012, 9:07am

As usual Rashid, you add nothing.

8. What an evil old bigot.

He claims to be worried about the ‘church’s liberty’ – this despite the fact that the parade was already relayed an hour so the catholic cult mass would be over by the time the parade went by.

And considering that 600,000 participated in and attend the parade, this sickening monster wants special treatment for the catholic cult – special treatment that all the other buildings and businesses do not request.

This vicious old scumbag was making a serious attempt to incite hatred against the gay community.

Not surprising I suppose seeing as catholic cardinals and bishops seem to spend most of their days protecting child rapists.

1. Jock S. Trap 16 Jan 2012, 9:06am

Yep, they are nothing more than hypocrites.

9. A man who is a leader in an organization that works diligently to stifle the rights and freedoms of OTHERS is complaining that his organization’s rights and freedoms might be stifled?

The utter, galling hypocrisy.

1. Jock S. Trap 16 Jan 2012, 9:06am

Totally!!

10. More lunatic Catholic anti-gay scaremongering.

“The Spanish Catholic Church is also concerned about homosexuality. During his Boxing Day sermon, the Bishop of Córdoba, Demetrio Fernández, said there was a conspiracy by the United Nations. “The Minister for Family of the Papal Government, Cardinal Antonelli, told me a few days ago in Zaragoza that UNESCO has a program for the next 20 years to make half the world population homosexual. To do this they have distinct programs, and will continue to implant the ideology that is already present in our schools.”

1. UNESCO? distinct programs?

Does anyone actually believe this stuff?

11. Catholics have a sacred propaganda office, (http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12456a.htm) and they know that what they say is designed to make trouble for people, they fool no one. Sad that Catholics have become what they are, child molesters, God’s way of punishing those who have become possessed by Satan, for what they have done.

12. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 9 Jan 2012, 4:08pm

I seem to miss so many good stories when they first appear! But hallo! KKK and gays mentioned in the same sentence… Well if you needed evidence of how deluded the tiny minds of the power-crazed devil spawn of the supposed almighty creator can make you, then here it is. I cannot understand why Fox didn’t disclaim his pronouncement at the time but as Robert in S. Kensington points out, the chief in charge is no angel himself.

I hope the Pride event has a few more people in priest fancy dress to compensate for this delusional comment! Even if we did protest at catholes we would have just cause!

13. Well, as they say people who live in glasshouses…
    One group weilds crucifixes, have a heirachy dressed from head to toe in funny pointy hats and ceremonial robes and have a general distrust of uppity minorities as preached by their ‘grand wizard’, the other is the KKK ;)

1. Jock S. Trap 16 Jan 2012, 9:05am

Trouble is those people in religious glasshouses think only they have the right to offend all others.

14. “Gay marriage a threat to humanity’s future: says scaremongering Pope”
    (Reuters) – Pope Benedict said Monday that gay marriage was one of several threats to the traditional family that undermined “the future of humanity itself.”

1. Jock S. Trap 16 Jan 2012, 8:53am

Indeed one wonder how considering the people who say these things are going to have a ‘Gay’ marriage… well not till they been found out anyway.

15. Not interested. His apology comes with an accusation that we brought the comparison on ourselves. Apologies from the Catholic Church are worthless. They think they can say sorry for enabling and protecting priests who rape children and then go on enabling and protecting those same priests. This chap can apologise for saying something homophobic but it means nothing – we know the next homophobic comment is only around the corner.

1. Jock S. Trap 16 Jan 2012, 8:43am

Indeed. These people are never sorry well only that they’ve been found out as the true bigots they are I suppose.

16. Jock S. Trap 16 Jan 2012, 8:42am

Yet again, the religiosu fruitloops and there projection… it’s shameful and totally blatant!

17. Spanner1960 22 Jan 2012, 2:36pm

The Ku Klux Klan.
    Worth joining just to find out the name of the brilliant washing powder they use.