Simon Doonan’s new book to “prove gay men really are French women”

1. Ben (in Reading) 5 Jan 2012, 12:45pm

Reading’s not in Surrey…it’s in Berkshire! XD Sorry.

2. How old is SImon Doonan.

I imagine he is pretty elderly, as this type of books sounds like the type of arch-camp used by gay men up to the 1970’s – think Kenneth Williams.

He lives in New York doesn’t he.

He should visit a gay bar about 200 miles west. I think he will find plently of morbidly obese gay people outside the New York metropolis.

1. Spanner1960 5 Jan 2012, 1:49pm

He was born in 1952 so he’s close to 60.

2. Why go out of new york? there are plenty of morbidly obese , grotesque people there.

3. gay men really are French women, from their delight in fashion, to their brilliant choices in accessories and décor

He should meet some of the gay men I’ve come across – and Frenchwomen, come to think of it.

4. Spanner1960 5 Jan 2012, 1:52pm

Let’s hope Jonathan Harvey could pick it up and run with it like he did with “Beautiful People” – I’m still upset the Beeb never did a third series.

5. Robert in S. Kensington 5 Jan 2012, 1:53pm

I find it really silly to assume that French women are denizens of fashion, let alone men. Just because Paris is a fashion mecca as ares London, Milan and New York, do people really believe that entire societies in general are into fashion? The average French man or woman, even if they live in Paris don’t wear haute couture because they can’t afford it, only a minority of the wealthy do in any society.

It’s the same with food. The average French man or woman doesn’t cook in the style of a gourmet chef at Maxime’s either and neither do Parisians in general. I find this kind of stereotyping particulary an American phenomenon in regard to foreign cultures. France has more than its supply of obese, unfashionable people. Doonan needs to live in France for a while to understand that, in fact in any culture before making absurd blanket statements about a culture.

1. All true.

However it is also true that while obesity levels are rising in France, the levels of obesity in France are tiny compared to Germany or the UK.

6. I know it is only supposed to be a laugh and it’s frivolous comedy so we shouldn’t read too much into it, but we wouldn’t like such tired stereotypes of gay people being promoted by straight people. Do we really want to promote the idea that gay people are all bubbleheaded queens, screaming at the thought of French macaroons. (Although I have to admit I like them…)

1. They are very good, but you can never have just one.

2. At the risk of coming across as humourless (an accusation already made on another thread when I objected to stereotyping), I agree with you Dromio.

But I don’t like macaroons. Or cupcakes.

1. You can’t beat a coconut and passion fruit cupcake!

3. Yup, time to stop looking at this sort of unfunny dated crap.

7. This is one 91 kg fashion dead-end with an aversion to macaroons who is starting to wonder if he’s actually straight!

8. Haters are going to hate now that the Right Wing Christian propaganda machine has found Pinknews to spew their hate of gays.
    In my day the gay boys were more like French boys who could perform like French girls, Ooh La La, Viva La Gay Revolucion!

9. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 5 Jan 2012, 4:11pm

Yikes… what century is this man living in!? Didn’t like Beautiful People, it seemed incoherent to my mind, and dishwater dull.

The gay men I know are hardly skinny effetes who calorie count – that’s about as true as a donkey is a horse or that woman are from venus! Doonan is obviously living in an antiquated and stylised world of a supposed yesteryear and really should get out there more (ie. not New York), instead of slaving over misconceptions and stereotypes.

Facile trash written for dim Americans in Manhattan who watch Ugly Betty and Sex in the City – straight in the 50p bin, then just the bin, please.

10. All the gay men I know are overweight and dress like geography teachers, I might write a book about it to prove that all gay men are chubby map lovers.

11. I am a 29 years old lady,mature and beautiful. and now i am seeking a good man who can give me real love, so i got a username josedvilla on — Agelover. СòM —, a nice and free place for younger women and older men,or older women and younger men, to interact with each other.Maybe you wanna check out or tell your friends.

1. Jeeesus, how many times do we have to ram this one home… THIS IS A GAY NEWS SERVICE… WE’RE NOT INTERESTED IN YOUR STRAIGHT DATING WEBSITE, CAPICHE?!?
      Do you frequent Jewish news websites and spam them with pork products? No?
      Then why the hell do you imagine spamming us to death with your straight dating service is going to generate any business?
      You’re either terminally stupid or a wind-up merchant.
      If you’re looking for love here you’re seriously barking up the wrong tree.

1. Spanner1960 5 Jan 2012, 7:49pm

It is you that is barking up the wrong tree.
        That is called a spambot, dear. You are shouting at a computer script.

1. Thanks Spanner, that thought occurred just after I posted… Doh!

12. Sister Goodlove 5 Jan 2012, 5:36pm

This is just a light-hearted book playing to one of the more positive stereotypes about gay men. I have absolutely no problem with it, and it sounds like fun.

1. the ne plus ultra of gay fooderie

Lighthearted, perhaps; positive? I think not.

1. I suspect he thinks that “ne plus ultra” is French.. and it’s “nec plus ultra”, and it’s Latin.
        Stupid Americans.

1. He’s British.

13. He’s utterly out out touch

14. He sounds like a man I would utterly despise. This book should be burnt.

15. Well, gay men and women in Venezuela eat black beans, rice, fried pork and tons of corn pancakes. Most wear jeans and t-shirts all year long, and lots swear while drinking bear and watching baseball, exacltly like the rest of the population. Just saying…

1. They “drink bear”?!?!
      Lucky bears ;)

1. Oops! Freudian slip?

16. GingerlyColors 5 Jan 2012, 10:02pm

Snail pie and frogs legs are not on my menu! I think I’ll stick to the roast beef and Yorkshire pudding.

17. Hilarious and spot on well done Simon