Sherlock stars downplay gay question again for new series

1. Oh please. Does sexual tension or very close love always mean guys have to have sex? Maybe Homes was gay, and Watson isn’t. Can our society allow them to enjoy the relationship, or do we have to judge it as a distraction, or inconvenience, to our own fantasy of what life has to be for us to be comfortable!

The movie was great and I love Sherlock Homes stories. I think it’s a great storyline. But the stories are not biographies. Let the writers and actors have their artistic expression and enjoy.

2. Spanner1960 3 Jan 2012, 5:23pm

I second the above. Why let that sort of stuff get in the way of a good story? I think it all adds to the mystique anyway. Sherlock has to be one of the best shows on TV in the last four or five years. Brilliant stuff!

3. Holmes’s fascination for ‘the woman’ (as she is described) depicted in the TV show is directly taken from the books and is true to the spirit of the stories. Giving him a gay love interest would be awful, but the speculation and reactions are all true to life for an updated version. I think they’ve got it just right. In the TV series even Watson doesn’t know if Holmes is gay or straight and asks if he has ever had a boyfriend or girlfriend. The inference is that he’s not really interested in sex.

4. Who knows where in the spectrum of sexuality that either Holmes or Watson fit? The writers, artists, directors etc probably all have different views … lets enjoy it for what it is – a fun, intelligent and well made drama!

5. Trish Kirby 3 Jan 2012, 6:10pm

I always thought that Sherlock Holmes was gay but never imagined that he and Dr. Watson were at it.
    They are just flatmates that happen to be perfect for each other. Watson doesn’t know if Sherlock is gay or not and he doesn’t care. That is the joy of their relationship.

1. GingerlyColors 3 Jan 2012, 6:44pm

Just because two men live together doesn’t necessarily mean that they are gay.

1. GingerlyColors 4 Jan 2012, 9:27am

Didn’t know that Morecambe and Wise shared a bed!

1. Oh yes …

2. Yes, and so did Laurel & Hardy – your point?

6. isn’t this just as silly as those who purported that Frodo and Sam were gay when the LotR movie came out? (no pun intended)

1. They so are tho !

The ammount of times frodo says ” oh sam ” … You can not tell me he doesent want a bit of him lol

1. Spanner1960 5 Jan 2012, 1:58pm

No, he said “I don’t want hobbit of him…” ;)

7. GingerlyColors 3 Jan 2012, 6:43pm

I don’t think we should go round re-writing classic novels in order to satisfy the LGBT community. We do not say that Laurel and Hardy were gay – even though they shared a bed at a time when the subject was taboo. Let people enjoy Sherlock Holmes for what he was originally portrayed as.

8. I think Sherlock represents one of the versions of Asexuality. He doesn’t seem the slightest bit interested in sex.

Asexuality is a perfectly valid sexual orientation/identity

9. I don’t think Holmes would sully himself with something as messy as sex. I don’t think he cares for it.

10. Benedicts portrayal is the best ive ever seen. I love the camp fem exterior with the cold borderline psychotic interior.

I would love him to be gay. I think his ability to love is more enlightened though and gender isnt an issue just the person. But being how he is, emotions elude him as they are a weakness and serve no purpose for him.

11. Look at these article Sherlock on PBS.

12. This is the kind of patronizing comments that make me furious. You can have Holmes straight up doign Irene Adler, you can change the stories, change the outcome, move it to New York or 2010, but having two men living together and depending on each other be a couple? Whoa, let’s not violate the canon, man!