Amazon continues to sell “homophobic” calendar in the UK

1. Funny considering Anita Bryant’s not dead.

1. Damn. Voodoo doesn’t work after all!

2. dave wainwright 30 Dec 2011, 11:44pm

Anita Bryant has always been dead , trust you not to have noticed .

2. Spanner1960 30 Dec 2011, 1:40pm

Another storm in a teacup.
    People need to learn to laugh at themselves a little more and stop taking umbrage. If this was some gag done by a drag queen in a gay bar, everybody would be having a laugh.

1. Because you dick – self mocking is not the same as deliberate bigotry wrapped up in supposed ‘humour’

2. Anyone who jokes about AIDS is a disgusting person in my opinion, whether christian cartoonist, or drag queen in a gay bar…

3. Spammer at, this, time of year I remember friends who have passed away. One friend a doctor took his life cause, he made bad choices, with partners, he picked guys, who were bad for him. I reckon you hate all the men you meet and poison them youd be better of dead

1. Spanner1960 30 Dec 2011, 7:44pm

I don’t hate all men James. Just the likes of you.

1. If a guy like you liked me is be worried

4. I didn’t find the calendar offensive – it’s just really dull. I mean, it’s not even funny – not even to juvenile frat-boys. The joke about AIDS isn’t even a joke – it isn’t even amusing in a mean-spirited sense. I think there is far more scope to satirise gays, and the creative behind this work just isn’t in touch with that world. To be honest, I think all this hysteria in the gay media was the only way he was going to sell any of this rubbish.

1. Jock S. Trap 31 Dec 2011, 1:39pm

So basically, Pinknews are damned if they do report this and damned equally if they don’t.
        We have every right to know whats going on in the world esp when the mainstream media either ignore issues or use them negatively.
        Reporting this story doesn’t amount to hysteria. Just as racist acts/comments are condemned, just as sexist acts/comments are condemned so should homophobic acts/comments. How else do we expect others to learn and treat us with the respect we rightly deserve?

3. Should we do a “funny” calender of white people blacking up and picking cotton? That would be hysterical! If they complain we can tell them they they are being to sensitive and need to get a sense of humour.

1. You disgusting racist pig

1. You are just being over-sensitive. Or lack the concept of irony.

1. Spanner1960 30 Dec 2011, 7:45pm

Precisely. Get over it.
          There are plenty worse things in the world to be worried about.

2. Jock S. Trap 31 Dec 2011, 1:41pm

Me thinks you missed the point JR.

2. Staircase2 1 Jan 2012, 2:26am

I wish you lot wouldn’t jump the race card every time someone does something bigoted about gay people…

1. Why not Racism is no longer acceptable we need to show them that we don’t tolerate homophobia for the same reason.

4. Amazone will remove this calendar.

However as racism, sexism and homophobia are ONLY unacceptable to Amazon after they receive complaints about it, I suspect people will need to complain to them.

If they have not removed the calendar within a couple of days we must assume that Amazon agrees with disgusting bigotry.

By the way – rather than shopping at Amazon for books, I would recommend that people use Amazon purely to get the catalogue number of a book. Then march yourself into a bookshop with said number and order the book from the bookshop directly. It will cost the same and it means that within a year there is more likelihood of the bookshop still being open.

Online shopping is killing bookshops and record shops and video rental shops. I don’t care about record and video rental shops but the death of the bookshop is a real tragedy in my eyes.

1. I have a local book shop run by a cnut. I, like, online shipping its removes the crap of dealing with anti gay people

2. …and it doesn’t cost the same – books on amazon are usually much cheaper…ethics are fine when you can afford them! And after the furore when Waterstones banned the in-store reading by a gay poet a couple of years ago, due to actions by ‘christian’ protesters, we are going to run out of shops to boycott…of course if you live in/near London, use Gay’s the Word or order at http://www.gaystheword.co.uk...

5. Just had an interesting experience contacting Amazon customer services. I am a regualr user of Amazon (because I find kindle publications are more helpful for me). Their customer service staff was abrupt and appeared unconcerned that there was poor publicity about Amazon in the media. I tried to explain and they responded with a comment – I will pass this on, you will get a response in 3 days, please now close the chat window! Excellent customer handling skills! I have followed this up with a review online and an email raising concerns in a measured way. Be interesting to see what response I get.

1. They appear to be ignoring the customer services concerns in my emails and just saying the matter is being passed to another team.

1. Good, lets hope they continue to ignore your whining. Meanwhile, I purchased several of the calenders and they came from The US, I am not selling them on eBay

1. Weak comment yet again … but weakness is all we can expect from Matt and the likes of him …

2. dave wainwright 30 Dec 2011, 11:48pm

I also complained and got the same stock answer , I told them that they were taking to long and I should no longer be spending moeny with them or through them as it quie simply was not satisfactory that this item was ever on their website never mind that it was still there and for sale following 700 negative reviews and countless knows how many complaints , I guess in business these days there is no such thing as adverse publicity all they are interested in is £ and $ and milking it for all it is worth .

1. Staircase2 1 Jan 2012, 2:28am

I would hazard a guess that its more down to lack of gay-friendly training for the customer service staff rather than anything to do with Amazon per se.

About time they sorted that out – thats as bad as blindly selling that crap in the first place…

Make a complaint about the way they handled your concerns…

1. I have done …

They refuse to handle it

2. Most up to date response from Amazon to me:

“The Executive Customer Relations Department is the only department that liaise with customers on behalf of senior executives. This is the most senior department to which a complaint may be escalated within Amazon.co.uk.

Your correspondence has been reviewed and we apologise for any distress or upset caused. We regret that we have not been able to address your concerns to your satisfaction. However, we have nothing further to add on the matter.”

So much for Amazon “having the best customer experience in the world”

6. If that rubbish isn’t removed today I’m going back to apple.

1. Spanner1960 30 Dec 2011, 7:46pm

I’m sure Jeff Bezos is really losing sleep over that one.

1. luckily I’m not add weak as you Amazon us

Dead,to me

7. I will no longer be shopping at Amazon, neither will my family and I will spread the word to everyone I know.

8. Given that there are 52 negative reviews of this ‘calendar’ and no positive reviews at all, simply giving it bad reviews isn’t enough to make Amazon see how offended its’ customers are.

9. My sole concern about boycotting this piece of crap is that high profile boycotts often generate controversy, which in turn generates endless free pubicity – a.k.a. the Streisand effect.
    In all honesty I can’t see it selling much volume on its own merits.
    The humour is lame and stuck in a 1970′s timewarp, even if you can ignore the rabid homophobia.

1. Oops – Freudian slip there: ‘Publicity’ NOT ‘pubicity’. Wonder why this calendar reminded me of pubic lice?

10. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 30 Dec 2011, 3:01pm

@Spanner1960, you are almost entirely the point of this stupid calendar and the reaction it has caused. If you don’t care, you have already given up the good fight.

There is such a marked difference between a drag queen making jokes in a gay bar and a looney cartoonist with an axe to grind against gay people and AIDS and dedicating one cartoon to Anita Bryant. Bryant went out of her way to make the lives of ordinary gay people in Florida that little bit more uncomfortable, if not to threaten their lives in particular, whilst labeling us as paedophiles who recruit children. Sound familiar? Thatcher used the same arguments in the 80s.

It’s all very well having the luxury of being able to say we should laugh at ourselves more – when it is ourselves doing the laughing – not some bigoted cartoonists whose only motive seems to be to mock us for the sake of some neo-conservative christian audience. Yes, it may not be a big battle, it’s only a calendar, but our answer must be the same – NO.

11. gino meriano 30 Dec 2011, 3:01pm

Curious?
    Has anyone complained to Gaydar for Amazon Banners or is that a different fight ?

12. Barry Walton 30 Dec 2011, 3:02pm

If this stays on Amazon then I will not shop with themm !,

13. Jeff Duncan 30 Dec 2011, 3:18pm

Just CLOSED my Amazon account over the telephone and told them how pissed off a lot of people are over this.

If you want to make a point then call Amazon customer services here in the UK on 0800 496 1081 or 0207 084 7911.

Closing your account – they do not like that.

1. Post this on the facebook page – but I bet it gets deleted.
      ————————————————————————
      Please stop promoting homophobic hate by selling products which demonise and defame people from the lgbt community, like this one “I’m not gay, I’m just a sissy”

Others can email “#noh8 to #lgbt” in subject line to “amazon-pr@amazon.com”

1. Can also tweet to @amazonUK

14. Jeff Duncan 30 Dec 2011, 3:26pm

Leave a comment also on Amazon UK’s Facebook page

15. Do Amazon sell the “I’m not a Christian, I’m just a hateful anti-gay bigot” wall calendar?

16. Satan has tricked these Christians and possess their souls. Only Satan hates and destroys like these possessed Christians. Some Christians hateful actions to destroy innocent LGBT people who are loving creations of God is proof that these Christians who hate and who want to destroy LGBT people are possessed by Satan, the destroyer.

17. Peter & Michael 30 Dec 2011, 4:27pm

We have also closed our account with Amazon.

1. Jeff Duncan 30 Dec 2011, 4:42pm

well done guys

2. Spanner1960 31 Dec 2011, 8:49am

Oooh! I’m so angry I could crush a grape!!
      Well I for one think Amazon are brilliant, and if they happen to let the occasional suspect package through the millions of products they sell, then so be it.

1. Always thoiught you might look a little like Stu Francis, Spanner

1. Spanner1960 2 Jan 2012, 5:43pm

Chase me, chase me! ;)

1. lol – almost, Duncan Lavelle?

18. I contatced Amazon yesterday and they promised to pass on my complaint about this item and I got an email from them today stating that it had been received and they would look into it. Hopefully the item will be off their site shortly.

Before jumping to condemn Amazon I think it’s important to understand they are not offering this item themselves, someone is selling it through their site as a Marketplace seller.

Much like a landlord may not know his tenants are noisy until a neighbour rings and makes a complaint, Amazon are only going to be aware of this if we tell them. Bad reviews won’t do it, they are only for shoppers. To make a complaint you need to email Amazon directly. If they then fail to act, well, that speaks for itself, but I would hope their press office is competent enough to have picked up on this and advise them to act accordingly.

1. Jeff Duncan 30 Dec 2011, 5:34pm

They have had over 3 days now to ‘review’ this. I spoke with a helpful agent in UK today – he said he was surprised at the number of calls they are taking about this. Why is it not off already??

2. I appreciate that this is a Marketplace seller. Surely Marketplace sellers sign an agreement about acceptable content etc etc? Surely Amazon understand the importance of their image and how that is portrayed? Surely when a storm errupts they take action?
      Now given that it is several days since this storm erupted then I presume that either Amazon are weak, could not care a less about LGBT people or actually endorse homophobia … Their customer response to this has been shocking and rude … Amazon look homophobic.

19. Helen Wilson 30 Dec 2011, 5:12pm

I reckon this rat is using us to raise his own profile, this calendar is just a device to get him publicity.

1. No doubt about it, any publicity etc… but who would buy a calendar like this anyway?

20. Yes Nick, as a Marketplace seller, they can flog what they like thru Amazon! I had a poor customer experience with a similar trader over a tripod. They claim to offer a reconcilliation service, but when problems arise it never licked in and i lost out financially after i returned the faulty item. I have never dealt with them since, and now i’m very glad i don’t deal with them. They also don’t like any form of critisism, so don’t know how far this will go! Its in there hands. It should be removed! How responcable will they be, and who would agree to even print this piece of garbage in the first place? Anyone know?

1. @JW

Well I had the opposite from Amazon where they refunded me for the shoddy service of a Marketplace seller and then dealt with them.

However, on this issue I am appalled at the manner Amazon have (or should that be have not) handled it

2. dave wainwright 31 Dec 2011, 12:11am

I and friends of mine in the USA began complaining over 30 hours ago , it has taken them until now to respond and remove the offensive item , far to long in my opinion, I shall not be spending my money with them ever again and shall in fact be closing my account , that item should have never been on sale , it is like some 3rd reich caricature of Jewish people .

21. I hate this .. I use Amazon for electronics, books, and networking components. Never again … I have plenty of alternatives.. we all do. Buh Bye Amazon.

22. Just come across this petition about this issue which I would encourage you all to sign :

1. David Myers 1 Jan 2012, 3:29am

Thanks Stu, for making this link available. Even though they’ve now pulled this item I suggest everyone, regardless of citizenship sign this petition anyway to make sure they are aware and sensitive to the opinions of people who will not shop where hate is promoted.

23. A christian cartoonist eh?, Have you noticed that the more progress that is made in the name of equality the more the viciousness of these people is exposed?

1. it’s just the KKKristian Agenda…………. mind warfare.

24. johnny33308 30 Dec 2011, 6:28pm

Wow! KKKristians being homophobic…making fun of people with an “elective” disease! Who knew? This is KKKristianity today in the US! Nice bunch of people, they aren’t! Evil through and through……wait until they meet their Karma……it will be most unpleasant I’d hazard to guess…..

25. Looks like Amazon have capitulated …

The item is no longer on Amazon UK

Disappointing there is no response to emails nor a public comment either to twitter, facebook etc etc

1. Indeed – seems a number of people closed their Amzon accounts in protest also.

Well done everyone who complained directly to Amazon!!!

2. Doctor Mod 30 Dec 2011, 8:54pm

I appears to have been removed from the US site as well–after over 800 negative comments. At any rate, the page is not “functional” at this point.

Interesting how quickly Barnes and Noble removed it and how long it took Amazon to do so.

1. Disappointing at how Amazon did not engage with customer concerns … Slow, hesitant, – failing to demonstrate an ability to make a decision (or have systems in place to prevent something like this occurring)

1. Disappointing when I chased them up today the customer service staff at Amazon were rude and abrupt … and made no apology – just stated “we have resolved the issue” and then asked me to leave chat

26. Well, Amazon sells homophobic books in all the countries where it is present, like “Understanding and Healing Homosexuality” -> http://tinyurl.com/6v3ezfy.

1. Mind you they also sold that hilarious parody of it written by George Rekers… what was it called again? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shaping-Your-Childs-Sexual-http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shaping-Your-Childs-Sexual-Identity/dp/0801077133/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325279164&sr=1-4
      “Shaping your child’s Sexual identity” the one which used to have a still from Monty Python’s lumberjack song on the front, but now seems to be using a photo of some twink getting their luggage lifted!

1. that has been withdrawn :( lol

2. ohh Iie it is still there http://tiny.cc/q2b8r gotta say the pic on this one is rather ominous :s

1. WTF? What the hell is he doing with his hand???

2. is rather expensive to turn straight at £66.32 or £175.50 I am on benifits so I think iwill stay gay rofl

1. ohh no it aint lol http://tiny.cc/q2b8r the pic on the cover looks ominous :s

27. darkmoonman 30 Dec 2011, 8:32pm

Amazon is now refusing all commentary on this calendar.

28. People grow up, it’s a cartoon, a calender which you don’t have to buy or look at if you don’t like, Why are you all bitching about another idea of comedy? The world is a hilarious place only you cant see this for all the moaners and complaing hard done to label freaks,,, Christ the bible hasn’t been banned from any book shop… and that carry’s the same message only in words… this worlds far to pc.. give amazon a break its only giving the option to buy!

1. I think boycotting this calendar would actually be doing a service to comedy, since the only shining wit I can see in it is the author.
      BTW, in this instance “Shining Wit” would be a Spoonerism.

2. you just don’t get human rights, do ya?

1. Spanner1960 31 Dec 2011, 8:51am

You just don’t get trying to run a business, do ya?

1. Yes, I understand that the image of the business helps me retain customers …

1. Spanner1960 31 Dec 2011, 12:37pm

And if I sell more product then I have people complaining, then my business continues to show a profit.

2. I tend to not look at short term gains, I consider the relationship development with my customers and the long term gains that can be established … shame some people are short sighted and lack values …

3. Jock S. Trap 31 Dec 2011, 8:27am

So when it wouldn’t be acceptable to have the same as racist, sexist, against disabled people, against cancer sufferers, against Christians or religions as they would be unacceptable plain and simple it is perfectly find to use those same unacceptable ‘cartoons’ etc are fine against the LGBT community? funny that jamie…. you must be proud to be a prize idiot.

1. Spanner1960 31 Dec 2011, 8:53am

I’m sure it happens from time to time, it’s just you don’t notice because you are so far up your own arse scanning for “homophobic” content. These things happen, then they get fixed. That’s the way life works. There’s no point in having a coronary over it.

1. Perhaps the world is better that not all of us lack a sense of responsibility, care about others or are disinterested in challenging behaviour …

1. Spanner1960 2 Jan 2012, 5:46pm

…and maybe the world is worse off for people that knee-jerk react to every little thing, so that when something important does come up, everyone accuses you of crying wolf. Its people like you that have sent insurance premiums through the roof with pointless health and safety issues.

2. @Spanner1960

What on earth has this got to do with health and safety?

Its the interpretation of those laws I despair at …

3. Jock S. Trap 3 Jan 2012, 6:58am

Spanner.. If you demand life with very little respect in life then you only get what You deserve.
            People only know if they are doing wrong if we stand up and tell them. That creates respect and for those it doesn’t, well they just ain’t worth knowing and like you probably spend a good part of their live very lonely!!

4. Jock S. Trap 3 Jan 2012, 7:00am

Stu
            Health and Safety only now creep in because he clearly have very little to say about this subject matter, a diversion if you will to irrelevence.

29. UPDATE*********

Both Amazon.com and Amazon.ca (Canada) have stopped listing this item.

1. Well that explains why I couldn’t find it!!! Thanks Mikey for posting this!!!

30. what happened to my last comment? it just disappeared.

it was an update:

Amazon.com and Amazon.ca both no longer are listing this item.

1. Sometimes (frustratingly) happens on PN

but I see you comment is back!

31. I can’t even find it

32. dave wainwright 31 Dec 2011, 12:14am

Finally after more than 30 hours of communications both sides of the atlantic with over 700 negative reviews and countless calls to their customer services dept’s both sides of the pond the deeply offensive calendar has been removed , but it took them far to long to respond for my liking , this was like anti jewish propaganda from the third reich of the 1930′s in Germany , how was this ever allowed to appear ? My account will be closed within the hour and I shall be telling them why, it is simply not good enough in 2011 /2012 and very poor customer service .

33. GingerlyColors 31 Dec 2011, 12:44am

Amazon, stop selling that calender! Thanx for the 11 thumbs up in my previous posting about this calender – my best score so far!

1. GingerlyColors 2 Jan 2012, 3:47pm

Hey, thats 22 thumbs up so far! Happy New Year everybody!

34. I’ve just tried Amazon… It’s gone. Thankfully.

35. Post from Joe King on his Facebook page:

“The “truth” is that AIDS is an “elective” disease. It STOPS the day guys quit sticking it to each other. And for the tragedy of women and children infected… THAT stops the day their gay husbands and fathers stop cheating on them. Anyone need MORE education, science or funding to understand THAT?”

Charming fellow.

1. dave wainwright 31 Dec 2011, 5:01am

HAve reported some of his posts for harassment and for hate speech targeting people because of gender or sexual orientation , thanks for the link Dana x

2. Helen Wilson 31 Dec 2011, 10:02am

The majority of HIV around the world is caused from heterosexual guys being promiscuous and sleeping around without using condoms for religious or economic reasons. The fact Joe King (that name is no joke) fails to see the majority of HIV infection around the world is exclusively a heterosexual matter in nations that claim to be opposed to homosexuality. Joe shows just how ignorance is still the biggest killer when it comes to HIV/AIDS.

3. It always strikes me when these zealots start foaming at the mouth about ‘elective HIV’, do they also make a point of going round cancer wards mocking people with emphasima and telling them “serves you right for smoking, I’m going to gloat over your eventual demise” or is this a special service they only extend to gay people?
      I bet Joe King’s a riot at dinner parties.

4. Spanner1960 1 Jan 2012, 11:03am

“THAT stops the day their gay husbands and fathers stop cheating on them.”
      I find that actually rather amusing. I once heard a theory that the way to eliminate gay people would be to allow them to be themselves; that way, if it was genetic, and bar the few bisexuals and sperm donations, they would ultimately eliminate the ‘gay gene’ from the gene pool. Gay men who do cheat on their wives and children have been forced to lie about their sexuality in many cases due to the social pressures and expectations of people around them. Had they been allowed to be fully accepted into society for what they are, they would never have got in that mess in the first place. It is the bigots that cause this to happen, not the gays.

36. damn, and here I was trying to bring in lion feeding at zoos over the easter period….. why didnt i think of a calender

37. Spanner1960 31 Dec 2011, 8:56am

For those of you interested, download the calendar here and decide for yourself.

1. Thanks for the link – it works fine, and no viruses.

I didn’t find the calendar offensive – it’s just really dull. I mean, it’s not even funny – not even to juvenile frat-boys. I think there is far more scope to satirise gays, and the creative behind this work just isn’t in touch with that world. To be honest, I think all this hysteria in the gay media was the only way he was going to sell any of this rubbish.

1. I sort of agree, in so much as it’s a naff calendar with jokes thin on the ground.
        Parts are offensive, but mostly it reads like the rantings of a right wing bigot who resents that Brokeback mountain and Capote got Oscar nominations (whilst blithely ignoring that they’re the exception rather than the rule).
        And for all his supposed plaudits, his cartooning style is stuck in a 1970′s timewarp. Crap like this would have died a death with or without us.

2. Spanner1960 31 Dec 2011, 12:40pm

Exactly. Like I said, “A storm in a teacup”.
        As usual, the right-on, leftie queens on here get in a complete froth before they even know what its about. I found the whole calendar rather puerile, obvious and unfunny, but at no point did I find it objectionable. If people really want to hang that crap on their walls for an entire year, then more fool them.

1. So where would you draw the line Spanner … how offensive would material have to be before you challenged it?

1. David Myers 1 Jan 2012, 3:43am

As usual, the rightie queens on here make a big point of being unaffected and unbothered by homophobic hate and mockery. Sure you’re immune to it but it legitimizes bigots and is one more blow to low esteemed barely coming out gay boys and girls. We do need to speak out against hate-mongering regardless of what conservative gay appologists like to suggest. Your point is completely correct . . . where do you draw the line Spanner, before you challenge it?

2. Spanner1960 1 Jan 2012, 10:52am

@David Myers:
            I suspect you would be the first to support Gay Pride with men mincing about in next to nothing blowing whistles before happily jaunting off to the heath for a quick one, yet you are the first to attack anybody else that happens to point out those stereotypes. It is *US* who give gay people the image that others portray, so we have nobody else to blame but ourselves. If you don’t like the way we are represented, I suggest you first look a little closer to home.

3. I ask you again Spanner … where would you draw the line?

This is not about Pride … this is about retailing an item that incites hatred (and has even more hate inspired commentary linked to it) … by a retailer that claims to be LGBT supportive and aim to “be the best on the planet for customer support” … they have failed and then failed further to engage with their customers …

Still I expect you to ignore questions and deflect to right wing rhetoric …

4. Spanner1960 2 Jan 2012, 5:52pm

@Stu: Where exactly does it incite hatred? All I see is somebody taking the piss. There is a big difference between a bit of satirical humour (albeit pretty crap humour) and telling people to go out and attack gay people.

All this inciting hatred thing is complete bollocks. When have you every been persuaded by some speech or literature to change your mind and go from vague ambivalence to out-and-out *hatred* of some person, group or minority? Never, I suspect.

People ultimately are responsible for their own mindsets and decisions, not what some crappy fcking calendar tells them.

5. @Spanner1960

Fortunately I have never and would never be persuaded to engage in hate crime …

Its pointless answering your question because you don’t seem to ever believe in fighting bullying, harassment or homophobia … you seem to believe everyone should just toughen up – if only everyone were as strong as you (or many of us) unfortunately not everyone is and not all the time …

6. Jock S. Trap 3 Jan 2012, 12:33pm

Interesting that you never answer where you draw the line even though you have been asked several times, Spanner…!

2. Spanner1960 1 Jan 2012, 10:56am

I think it ably demonstrates the mindset of the twats on here that mark me down for actually posting a link to the bloody thing so they can make their own minds up.

Oh, I forgot, they already had before even seeing it, just like everything else they do. Pick up a fragment of a story, scream blue-bloody murder and run with it without even bothering to check on minor details like the facts.

38. Searched the site… not there.

39. Amazon has made the right decision to remove this from sale. Yes it might have taken them a few days, but given the millions of items that get put forward for sale on their site, I’d imagine they can’t be checking each individual one.
    I commend Amazon for listening on this matter and making the right decision.

40. The front cover should have started with, “Cardinal Keith O’Brien says….”

41. Just check out any Prowler shop and you will see all the “miss use” of gay stereotypes. But they are our’s so it’s ok I guess. Get a life people. Don’t be sissies.
    And a Happy New Year.

1. Spanner1960 2 Jan 2012, 5:53pm

*Like*

42. “Amazon has so far been unable to respond to requests for information by PinkNews.co.uk about whether the calendar would be withdrawn from sale.” It doen’t help, either, that GN is so mealy-mouthed. That should read, ‘has refused to respond.’

43. “Amazon has so far been unable to respond to requests for information by PinkNews.co.uk about whether the calendar would be withdrawn from sale.” It doen’t help, either, that PN is so polite. The article should read, ‘has refused to respond.’

44. I wish I was creative I would do a comic calender showing cardinals showing little boys the way to the rectalry, lions picking their teeth with the bones of christians whilst reaching for the after dinner mint, adam and eve and their incestual relationships to start the population of earth, and other such scenes, I bet the christians would just laugh long and hard at that and not kick up a fuss about it lol

1. Sweet! It’s so good to be a gay Christian — bigotry from both sides. Yay.

Please remember that some Christians are actually able to extract the message of love from the rest of the rubbish.

1. I am being ironic, he complains about the gaystapo/mafia or whatever the current analogy is atm at the way we express our dislike for this rather dull bit of bigotry but I am sure if we did a similar calendar he and his ilk would be up in arms as they were for the film golden compass and such like. Now I dont attribute all christians to this frame of mind and in a very straight sort of comment “some of my best friends are christians”. In my normal comments I do usualy add fundamentalist preceding christian I apologies for missing it out this time.

45. Start Complaining people !! I have

46. I too brought a bunch of these fantastic items when they were for sale. I have listed them on eBay, going to make me a few pounds.

I wish the homosexuals would stop being so bullying, also this complaining, is making homosexuals look very weak.

1. Don’t feed the troll … he doesnt deserve any attention

1. David Myers 1 Jan 2012, 3:47am

Agreed!

2. Helen Wilson 31 Dec 2011, 8:13pm

And Christians harassing the family (including the children) of BBC executives because they dared put on Jerry Springer the opera featuring Jesus dressed in a nappy is not bullying? What is good for the goose is is good for the gander also.

LGBT people have never murdered those who oppose us, unlike the religionist fanatics regularly do. The LGBT community object to offensive literature and cartoons, religionists on the other hand murder cartoonists and writers who offend them.

Oh hypocrisy thy name is religion as always

47. Has Stephen Fry tweeted about this yet?

48. dave wainwright 1 Jan 2012, 1:36am

Just received an email from Amazon which falls far short of the explanation and apology I requested , I shall be canceling and closing my account with them forthwith :
    Dear Mr Wainwright,

The item you referenced is no longer available for sale. Thank you for contacting us.

Best regard,

Stephen Lourdes
    Executive Customer Relations
    Amazon.co.uk

49. Staircase2 1 Jan 2012, 2:25am

Bloody idiot..
    …And what the fcvk has whether a child’s dad is gay or not got to do with children having HIV?
    The man’s CLEARLY an uneducated idiot as WELL as a bigoted arse…!

1. If a pregnant woman has HIV it can be passed to the infant. HIV positive women usually get it from men. He may be an unfunny douchebag but he isn’t wrong in saying that HIV positive children can usually be traced back ti HIV positive fathers, but this is way more common in countries where HIV is common in straight people (for obvious reasons).

50. Nameo Obum 1 Jan 2012, 3:45am

Salman Rusdie wrote a book maligning the Holy prophet Mohammed and the gay community deemed it OK but when another book lightly criticizes homosexual lifestyle, the homosexual community wants it banned and for Amazon to stop selling. The same homosexual community insults the Pope and Christians and they expect Christians to swallow their insults and abuse without complain.

Hypocrisy has never had a better meaning.

1. Spanner1960 1 Jan 2012, 10:46am

Have you actually *read* “The Satanic Verses”? No. I thought not. Like most of the people here who haven’t actually bothered to look at this calendar. It’s all crap. You are as bad as everyone else, stirring up trouble where there isn’t any.

1. @Spanner

I know there are issues relating to LGBT rights etc etc that you feel are not handled well – do you challenge about them or just seethe and get angry?

If you do challenge – how do you determine where the line is drawn?

1. Jock S. Trap 1 Jan 2012, 3:50pm

I gather Spanner would rather the abuse than to teach decency. I doubt he feels there is any line. A lot of that of course will be to do with what He feels he should get away with and actually very little about what others can do.

2. I have noticed that Spanner has avoided answering the question “Where do you draw the line”, three times now!.

What do we conclude?

1. Jock S. Trap 2 Jan 2012, 8:34am

Yep, no answer actually speaks volumes.

2. Spanner1960 2 Jan 2012, 6:05pm

OK. You set the question:
            I draw the line at the point where people are actually affected.
            I have always been a great believer in the principle of “Do what the hell you like, as long as it does not directly impinge on other people.”

I have been known to take a pop at cottagers for instance, but really, it’s none of my damn business, and I have simply pointed out that there is an element of risk involved. I equally have no problem with churchgoers, S&M’ers, Doggers, Bloggers, Swingers, or even Justin Beiber fans. It is the point where people are affected by bullying or violence, be it physical or psychological, that I draw the line. I, and most others on here are big boys now, we are all grown up and can take a bit of stick, so damn it, live with it – life is way too short to be worrying about some sad little man’s personal opinion. He is not going to sway the masses – the only people that are going to buy that sh|t are already convinced anyway and preaching to the converted, so it really doesn’t matter a tinker’s jot what its really about.

3. @Spanner1960

I put the line at “having likelihood or signiicant potential to cause harm” …

Although I do agree that (within reason) people should not have onerous conditions placed upon them unless someone is being harmed, or significantly likely to be harmed …

Your perception of this product and its likelihood of harm differs to mine. Theyre subjective views.

My bottom line is homophobia is not acceptable anywhere and should be challenged. Whether Amazon chooses to respond to that (which the partially have) then thats their decision to make – but they need to understand how it will be viewed if they choose not to act.

Linked to that bottom line is a responsibility for society (LGBT or not) to hold corporations, government, third sector agencies etc to scrutiny and account – which processes such as complaining to Amazon do.

4. Jock S. Trap 3 Jan 2012, 12:37pm

Well I guess knowing and seeing your views on race issue esp when it comes to crime it’s no wonder you don’t get respect.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 1 Jan 2012, 2:04pm

FYI, many in the heterosexual “lifestyle” deemed it OK too, far more than us. It was a best seller purchased mostly by heterosexuals. The Pope and other so called “christians” have been oppressing, harassing, denigrating, dehumanising and inciting others to commit violent crimes against us a result of it’s incessant tirades against us over the past two millenia, not to mention it’s subjugation and annihilation of native tribes in Latin America, Jews in Spain during the Inquisition and a Pope who remained silent during the holocaust. The heterosexual lifestyle has much to answer for in the name of religion. The roman cult is no better than Islam. Are you aware that the not so holy prophet Mohammed was a paedophile who has sex with a 9 year old girl named Aisha and eventually marrying her and not his first wife either? Polygamy, another heterosexual lifestyle in Islam is still practiced in some parts of their world. I don’t hear one word coming from the holier than thou “christians”.

3. Robert in S. Kensington 1 Jan 2012, 2:52pm

I suppose if this calendar depicted “christians”or any other religious cult in a very negative light, you wouldn’t have any problem with it and wouldn’t demand that it be removed? The shoe is on the other foot I think. The problem with some of your kind is that you want it both ways, always playing the victim when you’re on the receiving end, but don’t thing twice about villifying gay people. By the way, Jesus Christ never condemned or judged gay people, no mention of i anywhere in the “christian” bible, the new testament.

4. Jock S. Trap 1 Jan 2012, 3:42pm

Interesting that your kind choose a religious lifestyle that chooses to ignore a or chance history to suit themselves. Where is the debate that states the Gay community found this book acceptable or are we just assuming again?
      The LGBT community have been persecuted for centuries being murdered, tortured etc by religions yet we’re supposed to just forget this history?
      Classic case of projection if ever I heard but seriously your argument is both weak and pathetic.

51. Boycott Amazon