Barnes and Noble pulls “anti-gay” calendar amid online feud

1. What an a*sehole! Yes he’s allowed his opinion but shame on Amazon for selling it! I might have to re-consider where I buy my music in future.

1. Regan Sharp 29 Dec 2011, 3:49pm

Well, this isn’t the first or last time Amazon has shown no sense of decency with what it sells. It sold (and still sells) books and magazines that promoted and organized dogfights and cockfights, and refused to stop offering them, even though both of those activities are illegal. Just this year it yawned at complaints that it was selling a book by a known pedophile detailing the best way to seduce and molest young children. I don’t want to step on anyone’s freedom of speech, but clearly Amazon’s only concern is the bottom dollar. I’ve been boycotting them for years. Clearly, they also have the clout to make stories like this get swept under the rug. They are truly one of the most vile corporations in America.

2. AntiFascist 29 Dec 2011, 12:50pm

Outraged by this? Send Amazon an email and tell you are boycotting them until they remove this calender from sale. I did. If we ALL do this, they will have to take notice.

1. Peter & Michael 29 Dec 2011, 2:56pm

Have emailed Amazon and boycotting them until item pulled.

2. Regan Sharp 29 Dec 2011, 3:56pm

Well, goodluck in making Amazon give a crap. I’ve sent emails & boycotted them in the past (as have many other people) for selling materials that promote dog & cockfighting (by promote, I mean magazines that tell you where to go for these events, how to register, etc.), and for selling a book written by a known pedophile about the best way to “seduce” (for lack of a better word) and molest young children. Amazon’s response to all of these is “we’re protected by freedom of speech, blah, blah blah, go f*** yourself.” They will take notice, but they only care about profits. Majority of people are just happy to get stuff cheap and will not protest. Amazon is a behemoth impervious to the cries of others and thrives on the pain it propagates.

1. You’re missing the point: one person will not move Amazon on this…but at it’s core, society is merely a collection of “one persons.” So one person making a stink will not change Amazon’s policy. But if a million “one persons” decide to tell Amazon they will boycott them for selling this homophobic piece of trash, no matter how big they are, Amazon will have no choice but to take notice! Go ask Netflix…who through their attempt to split their DVD and streaming services have lost roughly 700,000 customers, and backtracked on splitting their service after the outcry.Now, their bottom line has been impacted, and they’re forcast to lose money in 2012…while their stock is in the crapper. All you’re doing by discouraging people from taking punitive steps against Amazon for selling this piece of trash calender is helping the proprietors of this homophobia!

3. I did…..awaiting a reply. And will probably still be waiting this time next year!

1. I keep getting curt holding replies … and when I chase them they send more curt and abrupt holding emails.

3. GingerlyColors 29 Dec 2011, 1:17pm

I hope that other retailers follow Barnes & Noble’s lead in not stocking this rubbish. WH Smith, please don’t even think about selling it! Amazon, please take action now.

4. Ninure da Hippie 29 Dec 2011, 1:35pm

Money talks, so please get the word our on Facebook, Twitter, etc!

1. Already happening …

5. this is INSANE! yes this man is entitled to his own opinion but he needs to learn to keep it to himself like any other decent human being would do! i hope these retailers figure this out and stop supporting this offensive crap! they are going to loose ALOT of buisness this way…

6. Peter & Michael 29 Dec 2011, 2:55pm

We also emailed and boycotting Amazon until this item is pulled off website. No reply from them as yet.

7. Well that’s trolling on a big scale.

8. May I suggest that everyone goes to http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-1?ie=UTF8&nodeId=502564&qid=1325171629&sr=1-1 and sends them an email as I have just done. I spend quite a bit of money with Amazon through the year, and have informed them that I will purchase no further goods until they remove this hateful article from stock.
    They wouldn’t allow the sale of a KKK calendar poking fun at the BME community, so this is no different.

1. “Itchy shirt”? Does he have cooties?

1. I assumed it meant he’s a stranger to washing powder.

9. Paul, I agree. What an odious man. His views on the AIDS epidemic seem to come from the paranoia of the 1980s not from fact.

10. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 29 Dec 2011, 4:34pm

WTF! Who would buy this rubbish?! Is there an equivalent Black calendar stereotyping people of colour on sale at Amazon/Barnes & Noble? Or maybe a funny Islamic one – now that’s bound to sell…

What a turd the cartoonist and Amazon is for selling it (and continuing to) when this is nowhere near funny. AIDS is only something the mentally deficient would joke about, and to suggest anyone would elect to be infected by it is crass and highlights the sewers this man crawls through for material.

Why do we remain an easy target for the “morally-superior” in-breds of the world? I mean it must be significant that King dedicates a cartoon to the likes of the supreme christo-bigot Anita Bryant.

And sorry for being pedantic, but the Sodomites were the peoples of Sodom and not anything else, but I suppose ignorance breeds the ignorant (or Baptists!) – but hey, everything is a gag, right?!

11. This is a prime example of Christian and Catholic black propaganda against gays, they put out this false information to make LGBT people look bad. The anti gay Christians are clearly the biggest anti gay group in the world. They use the gays are “confused”. The truth is gays are no more confused than straight people. They use the fear of HIV/AIDS to scare people mentally. yet is was Christian scientist who created the AIDS virus in the lab to kill off gay people. There is proof of this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOzuFsdmSfI. The Christians say gay sex is wrong. The truth is God created gays and straights to love and have sex, that is why he made them the way he did. The Christians can not prove that God did not make LGBT people. The people who attack LGBT people are evil and mostly Right Wing Christians and Catholics in the West and Muslims in the East. They need to be exposed for the evil hate crimes committed against LGBT people and put in prison. The are possessed by Satan.

1. Although, just like God, Satan is a fictious character. It’s like you saying that they are possessed by Andy Pandy.

12. I’d happily see him buried him sooner rather than later. Anyone have a shovel?

13. Damn, I thought this might be a ‘it’s just a joke’ things, but it sounds like this guy actually is a homophobe. Rather than doing this as satire, it feels more like he’s done it as spiteful bullying.

1. Well if it is a joke, they’ve set the bar pretty low on satire.
      The only reason I wouldn’t boycott this crap is the possibility of the Streisand effect.
      Frankly if no-one had drawn attention to it, it would be well on the way to being pulped already after making a brief stop in a remote service station bargain bucket. I’m astonished it got as far as it did. Only the Fox news demographic would find this remotely amusing, and even then I’d hope they had a few more braincells.

14. I believe his next effort is going to be called “I’m not funny I’m just a religious nutcase with an obsession about Gay men, possibly because I want to be one myself, but am afraid to because I don’t want all the other religous nutcases I know finding out and not liking me anymore”. Catchy title isn’t it?

15. Marketing Genius 30 Dec 2011, 12:18am

Because of all this noise, this frigging product will exceed its modest sales targets. Sometimes the gay mafia just don’t know when to stick a cork in it.

1. I know. I like how lynch mobs seem to think that giving something so insignificant such a disproportionate amount of publicity is better than not mentioning it at all.

Some basic human psychology lessons need to be learnt.

16. Update*******

neither Amazon.com nor Amazon.ca are listing this item anymore.

17. dave wainwright 31 Dec 2011, 12:46am

Finally after more than 30 hours of communications both sides of the atlantic with over 700 negative reviews and countless calls to their customer services dept’s both sides of the pond the deeply offensive calendar has been removed , but it took them far to long to respond for my liking , this was like anti jewish propaganda from the third reich of the 1930′s in Germany , how was this ever allowed to appear ? My account will be closed within the hour and I shall be telling them why, it is simply not good enough in 2011 /2012 and very poor customer service .