Religious charity backs Tesco boycott over gay employee’s “evil Christians” remark

1. Jennie Kermode 19 Dec 2011, 2:38pm

Strange bedfellows. I boycott Tesco because they’re part of the Workfare scheme, treating young unemployed people like slaves. If The Christian Institute had any real Christian principles they might be a little more concerned about that.

1. I quite agree, with everything you say. Of all the reasons to boycott Tesco, this is one of daftest. And why has it taken the CI three years to get het*-up about this?

* Pun intended.

2. de Villiers 19 Dec 2011, 8:31pm

It’s funny how people are always able to have god on their side for their own political or philosophical arguments. It is strange to think that Christian principles
      Iie on a particular side for policies relating to the structure of the benefits system.

3. stan James 30 Mar 2012, 1:40am

Hers another way to fix the so called xtians – works best re kids who havent yet had their minds poisoned.,

Buy two dildoes from ebay. Cut one in half and attach it (many ways possible) t o the other in the form of a cross.

Best place to use it – when the kids are comign out of school Help prevent them from becoming hypnotized by the jesus freaks

used it here a lot in the USA. the kids love it.

2. Keith Sitges 19 Dec 2011, 2:39pm

So thats 0.00000001% of tescos customers not shopping there anymore . I don’t think they will lose sleep.

3. Evil? No. Grotesquely stupid, hateful, sadistic and cruel – more correct. God did not create marriage, it can be PROVEN (I know christofascists hate proof) by artefact evidence that the only gods with any connection to marriage are extinct. Personally, I can’t wait for ALL bloody gods to go the same way. My only message to the christian institute would be this – When asking the question “what would jesus do?”, their actions are not the right answer. How much cash do they waste every year on useless lawsuits while infants die of hunger and treatable diseases. Despicable hypocrites, each and every one of them.

1. It’s quite true that evil Christian extremists are extremely evil after all, the rest are just gullible idiot numpties who apparently can’t think for themselves.

1. Well, there is a reason that the collective noun for a groups of christians is “flock.” And I know that I am being harsh, but as far as I am concerned, religion is a poison to anything it comes in to contact with. Those who actually uphold what they all pretend to believe in are so few and far between that they can safely be considered the lunatic fringe.

1. Galadriel1010 20 Dec 2011, 6:19pm

I think the collective noun is actually ‘congregation’. It might vary by denomination, though.

And I’m not sure I’m keen on being referred to as the lunatic fringe.

2. Galadriel1010 20 Dec 2011, 6:20pm

I am quite capable of thinking for myself, and of forming an opinion on someone based on more than my prejudices of one part of their personality – unlike you, it seems.

4. Angela Sanderson 19 Dec 2011, 2:46pm

If heterosexual marriage is so great in Chrisitianities eyes – why did Mary have a child born out of wedlock – could the father not have taken her hand in marriage first?? TUT TUT!!

1. Oh apparently Joe never had sex with Mary. Load of old rubbish!!

2. Mary was clearly a slut.

1. de Villiers 20 Dec 2011, 11:36am

David, you are a disgusting individual. Totally disgusting.

3. It was not born out of wedlock but Mary has to give birth to a Saviour 100% God as He is from heaven to be able to offer an INFINITE sacrifice for the sins of men and women for all time and 100% man to take the penalty of the law of God, “for the wages of sin is death!”. Mary was bethrothed and not consummated at the time. Hope this helps.

1. Wasn’t she supposed to have been 12 years old?

2. Strangely, it does not!

3. Actually, the most feasible account of marys pregnancy of Jesus is that she was raped as a 12 year old girl by the roman soldier Pantera.

5. I completely agree Jennie. Thanks for flagging this up! The ‘Christian’ Institute makes Christianity look even more stupid than ever. They are part of a small group on the right-wing of the church who along with Stephen Green make us Christians seem uncaring and out of touch. Just ignore them, hopefully they’ll go the way of the dinosaurs and die off soon.

1. No they won’t go away if you just ignore them, they are in cahoots with and modelled upon the US based Christian Alliance Defence Fund and their mission is to impose their extreme brand of anti-gay, anti women, anti-science Christianity upon us all through vexatious litigation.
      They are Christian Dominionists, extremist who allegedly believe their twisted interpretation of the Bible is the literal truth.

6. I am joining this boycott.

Not because I support the certifiable lunatics of the Christian Institute.

More because Tesco is one of the largest landowners in the UK, who have been instrumental in the death of the small town centre; and for their ruthless treatment of their suppliers.

The Christian institute are crazed extremists.

Tesco has had a worse influence on life in Britain (well outside the large urban areas anyway).

1. So, you are boycotting for entirely different reasons … thus your boycott is different … thus you are not joining the Christian Institute boycott

1. Spanner1960 19 Dec 2011, 3:44pm

So why is everyone red arrowing him? I totally support his standpoint.

1. Galadriel1010 19 Dec 2011, 4:06pm

Because he said that he’s joining the CI’s boycott, I imagine.

2. @Spanner1960 and dAVID

I entirely agree with the death of our town centres being a good reason to boycott Tesco, there are also other reasons which could justify it ….

However, supporting the Christian Institute (or their boycott) I can not support

1. Spanner1960 20 Dec 2011, 9:48am

I am really not going to get bothered in petty politics involving such a minor little outfit. However the fact that the big supermarkets are sucking this country dry is a far better reason not to support Tescos, or any of the other big supermarket chains, which is why I buy small and local.

I appreciate those in big cities may not have such an option, but everyone else should support their local businesses and stop these monsters expanding any further. Tescos alone are turning over £1bn a week, which however you want to look at it, is just way to big a slice of the pie.

2. Boycotting Tescos does not mean supporting the CI.

Surely you realise that?

3. @dAVID

The fact I give many other reasons on this thread to justify boycotting Tesco demonstrates that I know this does not mean supporting the CI …

However your very words were “I am joining *this* boycott” as your opening comment on a news story concerning the CI boycott of Tesco.

Its difficult to see how you could mean anything other than supporting the CI boycott.

4. I also try (as far as possible) to buy small and local … it is increasingly difficult in some places but when at home I try to do as much of my shopping in local shops as I can

2. GingerlyColors 20 Dec 2011, 6:59am

I know you’ve questioned which planet I was living on recently when I commented about the Arab Spring but for you to get 11 thumbs downs for your Tesco boycott, you do not seem to fit the category of a troll.

7. Maybe it’s just me, but what?! :s

The CI have actually today dragged up something from over 3 years ago to protest about? I mean…really? I mean what do they do with their time? Spend all day on the internet typing ‘gay’ into google looking for news stories to protest about? I actually can’t believe this!

It’s like saying we should boycott christianity and all christian charities because there was a bloody crusade a while back…I mean what on earth are these people doing with their time? :S

1. Galadriel1010 19 Dec 2011, 4:08pm

You’re pretty much right. It’s sort of like an aggregator as well, so if someone finds an article and posts it it gets reacted to as if it’s new. (I got booted off, by the way. I’m not a regular)

2. stan James 30 Mar 2012, 1:34am

Probably beating off to cute emo boys on youtube dancing.

8. Jock S. Trap 19 Dec 2011, 3:11pm

Syddenly Tesco looks like it’s worth shopping at finally.

Seriously nothing like a bit of evil christian blackmail just because someone dare say what they think… tut… tut. How immature is this? Actually how desperate is this?

Now who will Peter Tatchell back? My money’s on The Christian bigots sorry Institute.

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Dec 2011, 3:12pm

Serious The Christian Institute… you ain’t that much of a loss. I’m guess Tesco will probably do better.

9. Oh please, so called “christians” boycotting Tescos? I’m sure Tesco’s isn’t in the least concerned and it won’t evem put microbial dent in its profits.

10. Is Peter Tatchell going to testify for this guy in court aswell (should it get that far) or does he only support the homophobes now?

1. Spanner1960 19 Dec 2011, 3:43pm

Good question. For starters the guy was NOT homophobic, he was merely expressing an opinion. Or is this guy being Christophobic by the same token?

2. Well, I will stand up for Adrian Smith, as he was just voicing an opinion.
      While I obviously do not agree with his opinion, he does have the right to have one and even say so.
      The CI christofashists obviously are a totally different breed that really is out on making our life as misserable as they can. Adrian Smit definitely did not seem to belong in that camp, even though he thinks we should not be able to marry while using the name Marriage for it.
      So, there is a difference whewre you can either show respect for someone having an opinion that you do not share, or show to be nothing different in your acceptance of others with who you differe in opinion as these christofashists…..!!

1. The Adrian Smith case is nothing to do with his opinions (to which he is entitled and which I fervently disagree with) … its about a breach of a code of conduct (and for all we know he may have had multiple breaches previously)

1. Jock S. Trap 20 Dec 2011, 9:16am

Wow, people really do believe what the Daily Mail tell them, do they?!!

1. Spanner1960 20 Dec 2011, 10:01am

Actually, sometimes they do report real news occasionally without even mentioning their tits.

3. I think Peter’s angle is that he supports freedom of speech. This sometimes means you hve to defend the rights of people with whom you disagree.

1. @David G

I agree sometimes you have to defend the rights of people you disagree with … and I do …

Mr Smiths case is nothing to do with freedom of speech its about him breaching his employers code of conduct

1. Spanner1960 20 Dec 2011, 10:04am

We know this: However as Tatchell pointed out, what would people say if somebody was sacked for supporting LGBT rights by the same token?

This code of conduct thing is far too all-encompassing and employers should not be allowed to reprimand people for things they do or say outside of work hours, whether you support their views or not.

1. |We know this too …

What we do not know is if Mr Smith previously breached his code of conduct and had been previously reprimanded …

What we do know is that Tatchell (and others) have repeated made it seem as though the employers action was because of Smiths views on equal marriage – it was not, that merely led to the discovery of the breach of code of conduct …

It is entirely feasible that the punishment by THT is actually quite lenient (if Smith has a prior history of reprimands etc)

11. Kim Berlin 19 Dec 2011, 3:18pm

with out the crazy Christians in Tescos, will it be easter to get through the checkout?

12. Carl Rowlands 19 Dec 2011, 3:23pm

The lady protesth too much comes to mind so does if the cap fits wear it. I no longer buy Heinz products because I was upset with them over the withdrawal of the New York Deli Ad. I am sure Tesco’s won’t be worrying too much by this threat. Will it seriously make a dent in their takings……I some how doubt it.

13. The only concern I think Tesco’s should have about the Christian Institute’s boycott is the disinformation that they try and feed in the media and on the internet. Although, I suspect Tesco are more than able to consider litigation if the Christian Insitute act disingenuously (and tell the lies they have often been guilty of in this case too). Somehow, I suspect the Christian Insititute would relish the fight – but they would make themselves look even more ridiculous than they already are.

14. Jock S. Trap 19 Dec 2011, 3:26pm

It’s funny how little effect it takes for me to ‘boycott’ all religious establishments…. been doing it for years now!

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Dec 2011, 4:11pm

Correction

It’s funny how little effort it takes for me to ‘boycott’ all religious establishments…. been doing it for years now!

Not easily distracted so apologise for the… ooooh mince pie!!

15. Locus Solus 19 Dec 2011, 3:30pm

Having met some of the members of the christian institute’s legal team, I can honestly say the level of incompetence is staggering. This kind of boycott threat is hardly much of a challenge. I would also follow that up with, I will be sure to shop at Tesco this year hehehe.

1. I am not surprised that you consider them incompetent. Can you imagine the legal carnage if they actually managed to set a precedent where someone’s professed faith (which cannot be measured or proven sincere) excuses them from the sovereign law of the land? Complete and utter madness. I’m not a lawyer, and I can understand this point. Why can’t they?

16. everywhere you turn..every paper you raed…its the same old s***e about christainity, gays & marriage….really lgb people need to get over themselves and realise ….its NOT alwayts about YOU..
    being gay myself im quite content the way the things are with gay civil partnerships rights etc and get fed up day to day with the crap papers are printing about marriage, christainity and equality.
    WHO CARES who shops at Tesco, ive never shopped there and never would and not because os all this crap, its through choice where people choose to shop but sorry, tesco aint goin to lose sleep through people NOT shopping at their stores….get a grip…and get a life.
    Sometimes being gay makes me ashamed when i see all the drivel spilt from others on these pages, nancy;’s or what.

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Dec 2011, 3:59pm

This you miss the point of a News site aimed at the LGBT community…. so why you here again?

1. Well he is gay Jock, whether or not he has a sense of community is debatable.

1. it seems we can only be considered to have a sense of community if we all look in the same way and have the same opinions.

1. Not really I disagree with a lot of things, however who is this clown to tell people they shouldn’t want equal marriage rights because he doesn’t deem them to be important.

Also article this isn’t about “us” this is about Nick Lansley, the CI and Tesco. Do you think he was wrong to make his comments?

2. Dave North 19 Dec 2011, 4:02pm

Your post seems to be all about YOU.

Get over yourself ffs.

3. Oh bless! What a wonderfully cosy play blissful ignorance must be!

1. Just because a lot of people are happy with what has been achieved and feel content with it does not make them ignorant. I have no desire to achieve “gay marriage” – quite why you want to ape the norms of a society that we have been effectively been marginalised from until recently I don’t know.
        Apparently I am in the wrong for thinking this and I must now go and have my homo-brainwashing session so that I will now think the “right” way to be accepted within this joke that we call the gay “community”

1. @Steven

Just because you do not aspire to marriage does not mean it is not appropriate for other LGBT people, nor does their achieving marriage deny you your views.

17. Spanner1960 19 Dec 2011, 3:41pm

Oops! This wouldn’t be against Tesco’s Employee’s Code of Conduct, now would it?

Oh no, I forgot, it doesn’t work that way round, does it?

Let’s see how many of the hypocrites on here would be having a blue fit if the guy got sacked or demoted.

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Dec 2011, 4:00pm

Not very bright are you Spanner1960?!!

1. A director of a multi national firm usually has a name that is known by many (maybe not Spanner1960 it appears) and thus would not have to disclose their employer in order for others to be able to link them to the employer publically …

Or maybe he had permission to disclose his employment, if it was disclosed …

Whatever – the fact is Spanner1960 is facetious

1. Spanner1960 19 Dec 2011, 6:21pm

Facetious maybe, but I think I made my point.

1. You may well have made a point that, I think I have demonstrated is ridiculous …

2. Jock S. Trap 20 Dec 2011, 9:19am

If you think so guess thats all that matters Spanner…

2. Spanner1960 20 Dec 2011, 9:42am

I seriously just think leftie types such as you two would be foaming at the mouth if the situation was reversed. So many people try to stand up for the law and democracy until it swings against their favour, at which point they start bleating on about “natural human rights” and how the people making the rules are a bunch of fascists. You can’t have it both ways.

1. No I believe in the law and internal regulations being enforced fairly – as it was in this case (in my opinion) …

If it were different then I may have more empathy with the employee who was disciplined, but I would endorse the employers correct decision (dependent on circumstances which we would not know – as in Mr Smiths case)

18. Why does sexual preference even have to be celebrated in public? It should be a private matter between two consenting adults, not an excuse for a massively expensive public party, and /or a platform to bully people into political and moral acceptance even if they be a minority. Homosexual or straight it should be kept private and in the bedroom and certainly not sponsored. In these times of austerity our British citizens should seek to ensure we keep our dignity and pride, not with a massive public booze up and rave, where drag queens parade naked through the streets.

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Dec 2011, 4:02pm

Says the person who clearly only sees people by the sex they have.

Never mind hypocrite.

One more point… “where drag queens parade naked through the streets.”…. seriously… you see this often do you?

1. Yes I do. Every weekend when I take my family out. DISGUSTING>

1. You must tell me where you go shopping, it would be nice to have a bit of colour and spectacle when I shop – its normally so stayed and boring and the high street is much the same regardless of where I go … so if you can offer me naked hunks and drag queens parading on the street, then I’m all for it … breaks the monotomy … so where do you shop, Giles? … got any photos you can share? … Perhaps we should tell your local tourist board … arrange for more to come and join in? …

1. Galadriel1010 19 Dec 2011, 11:11pm

Must be Camden. I wish I lived in Camden – although I would be much poorer than I am for many, many reasons. (The shoes and dresses mainly…)

2. You take your family all across the country every weekend searching for any gay prides which happen to be taking place once a year in any given major town with the specific purpose of spotting the near extinct “naked drag queen”!?!
          Well it makes a change from birdspotting I suppose. Some might call it obsessive…

1. Jock S. Trap 20 Dec 2011, 9:24am

Indeed, a new past time me thinks from Giles… naked drag queenspotting.

3. Jock S. Trap 20 Dec 2011, 9:20am

Well maybe you should change the venue you go to then.

4. How perfectly extraordinary – I work in Soho and live in Westminster and I go for years without seeing parading drag queens. And I’ve never seen a naked one, ever!

Why do I get the feeling, Giles, you choose the places to take your family quite carefully?

2. Is it even possible to be both naked and in drag?

1. Jock S. Trap 20 Dec 2011, 9:21am

Well that was what I was thinking. Seems Giles just makes uneducated comments of which he clearly know nothing about what he’s talking about.

2. Galadriel1010 19 Dec 2011, 4:12pm

Am I to assume that you’ve never been to a wedding, then? You should try it, they’re great fun – drinks all around!

3. It thats how uptight you are, Giles … then understanding people and offering support to people will not be something you are remotely interested in …

4. Is we all had equal access to all the rights and institutions of this country, no parading would be necessary. And of course we would ban weddings in public, they being an outrageous show of one sexuality or another.

5. Giles, the heterosexual orientation is flaunted in every day life, in the streets, in the media, when a couple is seen holding hands or even kissing in public. I don’t think too many straights would be happy about not being able to celebrate their preference in public. The fact that a woman almost always wears a wedding ring when married in full view of the public signifies that she and her husband are living together in a sexual relationship. How far do you think this should go, make it illegal? Nobody is forcing our sexual orientation on anyone let alone forcing acceptance, far from it. If anyone is bullying anyone, its the so called “christian” nutter Taliban minority trying to impose its will on the rest of society including businesses and the government.

By the way, I’ve never ever seen drag queens or any other gay person parading naked through the streets. Can you provide any examples?

1. London Pride, Manchester Pride, Brighton Pride.
        Evidence is widely available online

1. @Giles

and this is every week – you must travel Britain and the world to be shopping at a different pride every week … seems you might be obsessed with prides, darling – or do you just borrow a different mardi gras costume every week to show off your freshly waxed legs and chest?

2. Jock S. Trap 20 Dec 2011, 10:47am

Wow, every week… do you know something we don’t… or is it the clubs you frequent?

1. Clubs he takes his “family” to …

6. when i have the right to marry i will be doing it in private. private wedding with friends and family, private honeymoon suite where i will be doing what i please. And it is nobody’s business what I do in my home after that.

Pride festivals, however, like any other kind of carnival or celebration are to make people smile in this time of austerity and have a bit of fun. what is wrong with that? I suppose you’d like to close down Blackpool Pleasure Beach, too, because people have fun there!

As for naked drag queens, never seen one. That WOULD be against the law. Pride festivals are within the law.

1. Commander Thor 19 Dec 2011, 5:53pm

“naked drag queens” – Lying is a common problem with homophobes. This lie has been often repeated, in the hope it might appear plausible to the casual reader.

1. I have never seen a drag queen naked in public … maybe elsewhere but not in public …

1. Wouldn’t a naked drag queen just be a naked man? You can’t really be a drag queen without the drag.

2. Quite – naked drag queen is something of an oxymoron.
            And 4 different UK gay prides which happen once a year doesn’t constitute a weekly event unless you’re travelling all over the globe on a special mission to “witness the debauchery”!
            Even the gay people in my aquaintance aren’t that pride obsessed.
            Not another homophobe potesting too much? Can’t catch a flight to Brazil these days without seeing scantily clad men in a pride carnival huh?

3. Jock S. Trap 20 Dec 2011, 10:51am

Indeed Stu which begs the question… where does Giles go to find these naked drag queens. Bit to specific don’t ya think?

4. Jock S. Trap 20 Dec 2011, 10:52am

Indeed David G – where does he go to ‘find’ these naked people, I wonder?

5. I think I finally figured out the type of nudity that Giles is talking about:

2. Jock S. Trap 20 Dec 2011, 10:50am

Indeed it just makes the commentor look pathetic.

2. Jock S. Trap 20 Dec 2011, 10:49am

Nope think Giles goes out to look for naked people…. think that says it all, don’t you?

7. Helen Wilson 19 Dec 2011, 5:39pm

Well when Christians stop thrusting the mental delusion that is religion in our faces we might stop. just look at the christo fascists shamelessly celebrating a festival they stole off pagans this weekend.

1. When the Gaystapo stop thrusting their homosexuality and choices into everyone’s faces and daily life, then, you will be accepted.

Acceptance begins at home. Being with the behavior of the Gaystapo.

1. which choices are those then …????

Today, I chose gingerbread latte … seafood risotto … coronation chicken on oatmeal bread with rocket …. a nice bottle of rioja for later and some boxer briefs from Aussiebum … I also chose wrapping paper … which clean linen to put on my bed … and which radio channel to listen to when writing earlier …

Today, I did not choose to breathe … I did not choose to feel pain … I did not choose to have emotions … I did not choose to be human … I did not choose to be male … I did not choose to have blue eyes … I did not choose to be English … I did not choose to be gay …

1. Jock S. Trap 20 Dec 2011, 10:56am

Indeed Stu – I think the man clearly has issues over the word choice. Just because he chose to be a bigotted religious person he think others much have chosen who they are. Thing is he clearly isn’t intelligent enough to realise you teach religion and bigotry. You don’t and can’t teach something we already are.

2. Helen Wilson 19 Dec 2011, 7:07pm

That’s strange it was the heterosexuals shagging like dogs in the street i witnessed on Friday night.

Good to see the tradition of peace on earth and goodwill to all men being demonstrated by the people of god.

3. @Giles

How dare you trivialise the holocaust!!!

1. Jock S. Trap 20 Dec 2011, 10:57am

Sadly people like Giles demand respect by showing a complete disrespect to others.

4. Jock S. Trap 20 Dec 2011, 10:54am

Oh it’s Keith everyone!! Need we say more?

1. Yep we can put ‘naked drag-queens’ in the file of general ignorance alonside his support for ‘clause 23’!

2. No it’s not, JST. Keith was obsessed with anal sex and salvation. This fellow is an idiot all of his own making.

3. Actually Rehan has a point… usually at the juncture where he starts holding forth on fecal matter, scat, consentual incest or giving HIV to babies, we know we have another Keith sockpuppet

8. Commander Thor 19 Dec 2011, 5:51pm

Diagnosis: 40 year old virgin.

9. Heterosexuality is paraded around town centres all over the country every Saturday night.

How can you have a naked drag queen? I think the naked male anatomy may just spoil the look

19. Good. I won’t be missing the miniscule number of hate-filled ‘UNchristians’ when I shop at Tesco. In fact, I’d happily make a donation to keep them away permanently.

Their boycott is pathetic – as are they. Their campaigns get stupider and stupider. If I was a Christian, I’d be furious that such loons were professing to speak for me.

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Dec 2011, 4:05pm

It is your right… I’m almost thinking I should cancel my Harrods food delivery tomorrow to give Tesco’s a bit of moral support. :)

1. Harrods, eh? Yummy! :D You lucky thing :D You could always shop at both – to conduct a perfectly legitimate food comparison experiment, of course, and nothing whatsoever to do with gluttony. That’s what I tell myself as I sample various Xmas goodies anyway!

2. Your Tesco’s needs you!

3. OMG – Harrods Food delivery!!!

Thats so ABs Fab . . .

1. Jock S. Trap 20 Dec 2011, 9:25am

Thats sweetie!!

1. They are back for a Christmas Day,
            one off special . . .

Sweetie Darling

Lol

2. Ahem – if we’re really splitting hairs shouldn’t that be a Harvey Nicks hamper? Can’t recall Eddie and Pats ever stepping foot in Harrods!

2. Galadriel1010 19 Dec 2011, 4:14pm

I am a christian, and I got kicked off their Facebook page for tolerance and sarcasm. I’ve long since given up on talking any sense into them and instead focus on shouting louder.

1. Good for you!

2. I think their agenda is more political than Christian, Galadriel1010. Well done for standing up to them and taking issue with their hatred. I wish more Christians would do that.

3. Jock S. Trap 20 Dec 2011, 9:28am

Good for you for making a stand and trying to make a difference, Galadriel1010.

3. How wonderful to be able to shop at Tesco’s free of horrific anti-gay bigots, there should be extra shopping points on your Tesco card if you are not a vile extremist Christian bigot.

20. Peter & Michael 19 Dec 2011, 3:48pm

So, without the ‘evil christians’ more gay people should shop in Tesco and feel safer and happy to do so. Support your local Tesco as they are supporting Gay Pride.

21. boy, that’s a lost cause – boycott tesco in the prexmas panic?

22. “The charity slammed Tesco for its Pride London donation, which amounts to only 0.05% of the retailer’s £63.4 million of annual charitable giving.”

PLEASE MAKE IT ABUNDANTLY CLEAR THE ‘CHARITY’ WHICH ‘SLAMMED TESCO’ WAS THE CHRISTIAN INSTITUTE AND NOT CANCER RESEARCH UK.

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Dec 2011, 4:06pm

Indded AndyAS, indeed!!

23. The Christian Institute is a continuing slur against real Christians in the UK.This “Institute” is a scrofulous organisation of rancid fanatic homophobic bigots for whom the appellation “christian” is entirely bogus.I am sure that the board of Tesco are quaking in the boots.More likely they are happy that the action of this “Institute” will bring it new customers.

1. You are of course incorrect

What’s a ‘real’ christian?

So you support LGBT rights. How does that make you more of a ‘real christian’ than a bigotted homophobe?

Both of you use the same crappy, work of fiction (the BuyBull) as your source.

Therefore both of your versions of the BuyBull are equally valid (and equally nonsensical of course).

1. Galadriel1010 20 Dec 2011, 2:46pm

What, exactly, is gendy incorrect about? The fact that Tesco probably don’t care about the boycott, or the fact that the CI is an organisation of rancing homophobic bigots?

1. How can people call many Christians as homophobic? I don’t understand the case, homophobes implies – a person who hates or fears homosexual people and any Christian I know doesn’t hate or fear homosexual people, you seem like a bunch of narcissistic idiots.

1. Galadriel1010 21 Dec 2011, 8:35pm

Homophobia includes everything from outright fear and hatred, which the Christian Institute exemplify, to ‘merely’ believing that our sexualities are of our own choosing and that we don’t deserve equal treatment.

24. ….making shopping at Tesco a nicer experience….

Could they please boycott every other aspect of my world too.

Every little helps

1. Ditto!
      Exactly who needs Christian dominionists shopping in your favourite grocery store.

2. Well to be honest I like Waitrose but I do shop at both stores regularly with my spouse-to-be
      (when we are able to have a marriage that is legally recognised I mean).

25. Truth and Freedom 19 Dec 2011, 4:53pm

Some Christians are evil and they are attacking LGBT people around the world stopping them from getting married and there is plenty of proof of this. There is overwhelming proof the Christians have been killing Muslims for over a thousand years now, first the Holy Wars and now the War on Terror which kills many innocent Muslim women and children as well as innocent men. They also attack minority religions and people they do not like or who do not go along with them. They even attack the Church of Scientology who helps people get off drugs even if they are gay, I know I am a gay Christian who got help from the Scientology Drug Rehab program. The truth is the truth and it is time to stop the evil Christians from harming and destroying any more people around the world. Not all Christians are evil only a certain percentage like any group of people there are a few bad apples in every bunch. The evil Christians are using covert and hidden ways to destroy gays, Muslims, and others. We know.

1. Putting “NAMEs” in front of certain types of people just to label them. In the end people are people, some are evil and some are good. Christianity if practiced correctly gives people happy and eternal lives but as with all things if practiced poorly, gives a bad name for the rest of us and we have to live with it.

1 Corinthians 7
      1 Now for the matters you wrote about: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” 2 But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband. 3 The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband.

Stop labeling/judging all Christian’s with a bad name just because some have lived a bad life. Forgiveness is in the heart of Christianity, so can’t you forgive?

There are no covet Christians, or maybe there’s some covet gays trying to destroy hetrosexualism as far as we know it.

2. Nobody is stopping you from getting married. But marriage is between a man and a woman. Whether you want to marry a woman is up to you ( or man if you are a woman), that is your choice. Don’t pretend that anyone is stopping you from doing anything. If you cared about marriage you would not be a homosexual. Why do you have to hijack someone else’s way of life when you do not wish to live it? I do not see anything evil in clarifying that living with someone of the same sex has no connection with marriage. It never fails to amaze me how homosexuals reject the heterosexual way of life yet really want to live it. Make up your mind – either our way is nasty or our way is desirable.

26. Helen Wilson 19 Dec 2011, 5:32pm

Most of the country will be boycotting church this crimbo – Epic fail The Christian Institute

27. There would be no evil or Devil without Christianity.

1. There would be evil, just no devil to blame it on.

1. Indeed, people would actually have to take responsibility for their own actions. I’m sure the religious obsessives would hate to lose their favourite scape-goat.

2. Quite right, Satan or the Devil is an invention of Christianity, part of their vast pantheon of demi-gods along with saints etc.

28. This was said in 2008….and they’ve just found out now? Talk about a delayed reaction, LOL.

I doubt very much that Tesco will be all that bothered if this slow bunch boycott them!

29. I boycott Tescos (obviously for different reasons than this) so do lots of other people, Tescos still make ridiculous profits so I don’t see how a tiny minority of lunatic Christians is going to make much of a difference. Every little does not seem to help.

I hope that Nick Lansley doesn’t lose his job.

It might be worthwhile writing to Tescos to remind them that there’s more LGBT people in the country than these losers.

I’d also be interested to know how the comments were found and by whom since they’re from 2008. What kind of sadcase brought this to the attention of the Christian Institute.

1. LGBT people are the minority, there are more more Christians then the Gaystapo

1. Spanner1960 19 Dec 2011, 6:24pm

I actually dispute that. There may be many who purport to be “Christians”, but only show up at Christenings, weddings and funerals, as the churches are losing congregations in their droves, so I actually think if you did a head count of church-goers versus LGBT people, you might have a bit of a fight on your hands.

2. Not all Christians are lunatics like you and the “Christian” institute.

None of my Christian friends and family are going to be boycotting Tescos over this.

More than 50,000 Gay people were arrested by the Naz!s, you ignorant biggot. Gaystapo is a ridiculous and offensive term.

FFS Pink News I can call this guy a twat but I can’t type Naz!????

1. could always replace one of the characters with something else lol

3. Not according the the UK government official statistics …

6% LGBT people in the UK

3.2% regular church goers

1. Jock S. Trap 20 Dec 2011, 11:02am

Indeed but the the likes of Giles/Keith aren’t interested in facts…more assumption to suit ones own ego.

4. Jock S. Trap 20 Dec 2011, 11:01am

Oh dear Giles/Keith – your not very bright are you!! lol

30. Doing your best to segregate and discriminate against a section of the public because they are not “straight” (through no fault of their own) is actually pretty evil.

Imagine how you would be received now if you advocated the banning of inter racial marriage. Imagine the uproar.

31. It will be much safer for me and my kids to shop at tescos as many of the peodo’s have decided to boycot. I used to use asda but I’m now going to tesco to show my support and so should everyone else!!

1. Helen Wilson 19 Dec 2011, 7:09pm

That’s so true Mick :)

1. you are both bigoted idiots

1. misread

1. I thought Rev Gracie said that homosexuals were pedophiles? Not Christians, or did I read wrong.

2. Good grief, Giles, does your balloon ever land?

32. Helen Wilson 19 Dec 2011, 7:25pm

lets not forget this is the Christian organisation that is forever unsuccessfully fighting legal cases for the right of Christians to discriminate against LGBT people as a matter of free speech and freedom of belief, now seeks to punish another’s act free speech and expression.

Oh hypocrisy thy name is Christianity.

1. As previously said somewhere on this site, the moment, someone does not agree, and or support homosexuals they are immediately labeled homophobic. Homosexuals need to grow up an awful lot and come to terms with the fact that people will dislike them.

1. Do you honestly think you know more about the history of our persecution than we do?

Naked drag queens… that would be naked men wearing make-up and wigs, right?

And they follow you around whenever you go shopping with your family.

Does anyone else see them?

2. Sometimes we just call them anti-gay sometimes we call them homophobic based on their previous form, The so-called Christian Institute is both anti-gay and has a thoroughly homophobic agenda.

3. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 24 Dec 2011, 5:18pm

Erm, what age are you!? Very intelligent debating! Yes, people do react to words, Giles… it’s called being human! Hate us if you have the time, but realise that we are no threat to you or your chosen book or your chosen lifestyle. But we (here) are a threat to the relude dullards among you and your type who think they know the mind of a man-made entity (weirdos)!! And that we (well, me!) reserve the right to judge the stupid words you use to justify your religion. Hating people for something that is our of their capacity to change is the very definition of tyranny, something you christians (falsely) claim you escaped from, well allow us the same liberty.

33. What Peter Tatchell will do these days in order to be in the spotlight is downright pathetic! The man is clearly running out of causes.

34. I posted this link on Facebook and my friend’s comment just had to be shared here:

”Yeah what’s next from these t**ts? A boycott of the bbc, cause in an episode of changing rooms one of the gay host’s took a cross of the wall while doing a re-fit? (I just hope he washed his hands after)”

I could not stop laughing xD

35. John Stephenson 19 Dec 2011, 8:32pm

I am so pleased to see that ‘Christians’ representing themselves have made a decision to not to shop at Tesco – why not? I am sure there are so many more shops that the Institute can shop at. Perhaps they could be so kind as to let us all know which shops they shop at – not the one’s which they don’t. This way we can also make a decision as to which shops we shop at too. Fairs fair.

36. de Villiers 19 Dec 2011, 8:38pm

This shows the CI’s stupidity. I think the way that the housing officer was treated in the case to which they refer was potentially unlawful and perhaps heavy handed. However, in that instance, the person was a civil servant and was employed in a position where he ma have been required to make decisions affecting LGBT individuals receiving public services. A Tesco employee has nothing like that power or status and cannot properly be said to represent the State or to put customers of particular backgrounds or identity at any disadvantage. There is no proper comparison.

37. lol… ONE of it’s FOUR HUNDRED AND SEVENTY TWO THOUSAND employees. What a load of nonsense. Tesco can’t even be bothered to come up with a response for it.

Tesco, like all the other huge companies, do absolutely nothing charitable unless it benefits their image. They are supporting gay pride because they think (quite rightly I imagine), countless brainless people will flock to their stores because they are the gay friendly option. They are a cold, calculating, ruthless business. Sure the donation is a good thing, by all means take everything they offer, but don’t be fooled that it’s for the right reasons.

Gays have become a profiteering safe bet – uncontroversial enough nowadays for companies such as them to touch us.

Personally, I don’t shop at Tesco because their customer service is appalling, and I’m not surprised – I sure wouldn’t smile if I worked there.

1. I agree, Homosexuals have become a profiteering safe bet and Tesco are only doing it out of self promotion, they will move on to something else soon, homosexuals seem to be the latest fad at the moment. Oh and the descriptive term for a man who likes another man is a homosexual, not gay, gay means happy and joyful.

1. Deeside Will 19 Dec 2011, 11:35pm

Yes, and someone who is glad to be homosexual is gay, like me.

2. Oh, that’s right Mike, because a liking for dick makes a man particularly susceptible to fads, doesn’t it? Idiot.

(PS: you might need to buy a dictionary published sometime after 1980.)

3. Jock S. Trap 20 Dec 2011, 9:32am

Oh darling, we’ve been the ‘latest fad’ since the beginning of time in one way or another…. whats your excuse?

4. Jock S. Trap 20 Dec 2011, 9:34am

“gay means happy and joyful”

Indeed and I couldn’t be happier being Gay.

38. Like in these financial times, people are going to be swayed to avoid shopping at the best economic option. The bloody christian institute are absolutely clueless. Also, i’ve never met a decent christian, only evil, bad, nasty pigs. I find gay christians especially repulsive.

39. I guess their boycott only applies to evil christians like the CI and it’s funny they knew exactly who they were.

You only read the CI or websites like that if you’re gay and fascinated by what nasty plot they’re up to next or an extreme Christian nutter.

The boycott will have little effect since no-one much bothers with what ridiculous things they are now moaning about and I usualy find they provoke the opposite of what they are trying to achieve…

anyway what happenned about freedom of expression….the tesco guy has rights as well..

40. As usual, the CI makes no sense.

They are boycotting Tesco. But the CI haven’t said why (at least to judge from the PN report). A boycott without a cause is like a wedding without a couple getting married – fuss over nothing.

I wonder if Stephen Gray has hit the nail on the head (good catch, Stephen!). This case is very closely analogous to Adrian Smith’s case.

The CI can’t call for Mr Lansley to be sacked because that undermines their support of Mr Smith. So the CI are saying Mr Lansley is “entitled to his opinions”, while covertly dropping hints about what they want to get out of Tesco like a gold-digger coming up to an anniversary. (E.g. the CI mentioning the Smith case.)

But if the CI think that Tesco will be worrying itself over what kind of homophobic gesture will placate this Phelps-sized band of fundamentalists, then they’re as innumerate as they are cowardly. The CI is about as intimidating – and effective – as a toddler stamping his foot.

1. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 24 Dec 2011, 4:45pm

Except that Adrian Smith was employed by a publicly-funded housing association, and Tesco, er, isn’t. It’s a private company. *I’m not going to type what I’m actually thinking, these CIs are cyber-trawling weirdoes of the worse kind! But I do agree that these people are just full of it and make no sense (you’ve got to pity their ‘flock’).

41. What gets me is in one organisation a man (Mr Smith) is demoted and put on half pay for expressing an unpopular view and in another nothing is said unless brought to our attention by an organisation like CI.

Too right I’m angry!

1. I refer you to de Villiers’ comment, a few posts up from yours.

2. Jock S. Trap 20 Dec 2011, 9:36am

No he didn’t JohnB, thats just what the Daily Mail has made up. Seriously don’t believe all you read in the papers, love.

1. It was an excessive and gross overreaction to expressing an opinion – that is the conclusion I have drawn from the Pink News article linked. Or are you saying that Pink News just regurgitates articles from the Daily Mail without fact checking.

I would say that you shouldn’t believe all that you read here either – its the same with all reporting that has a certain agenda.

3. Well if you will believe the lies the Christian Institute tell …

1. Jock S. Trap 20 Dec 2011, 11:03am

Trouble is that all these kinds do believe in… not facts just assumptions.

42. carrie baker 20 Dec 2011, 2:07am

TECSCO, is to he honored for doing the right thing ans standing up for human rights like wells fargo, apple , bank of america and microsoft and other large corporations that removed its funding and support from religious hate groups organizations who have abused children and families out of hate crimes and bigotry , this is what honorable people do, they stand against hate and abuse and mistreatment , unfairness an injustice and stand for humanity and equality and fariness, you dont support hate crimes and abusers of people and families, These people are false christians of evil like some of the jews who were false pastors in the synague and killed the messiah himself, all while saying they where christians, hell no , they are just like david karesh and jeff warrens, evil and liars, look at all of these bad pastors arrested this year and last year for sex crimes and other evils , like murder, they are just liars an devils, hippocrites, unlike the charity and heart of tesco seeing needs

1. “These people are false christians of evil like some of the jews who were false pastors in the synague and killed the messiah himself, all while saying they where christians”

Jews killed Jesus whilst saying they were Christians????

Is this anti-Semitism or just stupidity? It’s a close call.

43. carrie baker 20 Dec 2011, 2:15am

You dont support hate, its divides , disrupts , courrupts, abuses, rapes , kills, discrimiantes, and on and on, all evil characters come from it nothing good , GET IT. DO YOU, ANY ONE CAN SAY T;HEY ARE A CHRISTIAN, AND WEAR A CROSS and carry a bible, and get a feeble peice of paper certificate, for studiying religions of different kinds , that does not make you a real pastor nor a real christian , every evil man from charles mansion to david karesh and the rest , have had one , but they were noting more than rappest and murders sycohos in gowns and robes, the same as many to most of the hertersexual clergy, in hate religions, many of them have aleady been in the news for sex crimes and abuses, like the dutch one this week for sex crimes, over 20,0000 children and counting where found had been violated by the roman dutch church these are racist people, but evil doers themselves, harming the others, thats happeined ;here all over the us, look at the arch bishop in the US, KID PORN

44. carrie baker 20 Dec 2011, 2:22am

yOU GET THE FUNDS AND THE ;HUMANITARIAN AID INTO THE HANDS OF THE FAMILIES AND CENTERS AND PROGRAMS FOR SAVING AND PROTECTING LIVES, NOT TO RACIST ORGANIZATIONS, tESTCO HAS A RIGHT TO HELP WITH CHARITIES OF PEOPLE AND CHILDREN ANYWHERE , IT WANTS TO, THE NOSY AND JEALOUS, AND VINDICTIVE FALSE RELIGIOUS PEOPLE ARE JUST HATE GROUPS AND DONT WANT OTHERS WALKING IN REAL LOVE AND CHARITY AND TRYING TO DO RIGHT BY OTHERS, LIKE THE NOMA HEAD LEADER QUIT AND OPENED UP CHARITIES FOR LGBT PEOPLE THAT HE ONCE WAS APART OF ABUSING , AN ASKED FOR PUBLIC FORGIVENESS, AFTER HE QUIT, AND TURNED HIS LIVE TO CIVIL RIGHTS, AND MENDING , REMOVING HIMSELF FROM THE REAL EVIL –INJUSTICE AND WRONGS, tHATS CHARITY, CHRISTIAN AND HUMANITY, REAL DEAL, TESCO IS TO BE PRAISED, GOOD WORK, DO CONTINUE, TO STAND AND ACT, CIVIL RIGHTS, HUMANITY

1. Jock S. Trap 20 Dec 2011, 9:37am

Do you really need to shout?

45. carrie baker 20 Dec 2011, 2:29am

jOHN EDWARDS SAID IN HIS INTERVIEW THAT HE WAS ONE OF THE MONSTERS WHO WENT AROUND USING THE NAME GOD FOR HIMSELF AND HE SAID THERE WHERE OTHER SENATORS AND FALSE PROPHET PASTORS USING THAT NAME ALSO, HE SAID THEY WHERE ALL EGOTIACAL MEN AND WOMEN WHO WHERE NOTHING MORE THAN MONSTERS , MISUSING PEOPLE , DECEIVING PEOPLE, ABUSING THEIR TITLES AND THEIR JOBS, HE SAID IT IS UP TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE TO STOP THEM AND OVERHAUL THE SYSTEM TO GOOD PEOPLE, THAT CARES ABOUT THE NATIONS AND ITS FAMILIES RIGHT NOW, AND EVERYWHERE, THAT MUST TAKE PLACE NOW EVERYWHERE, OVERHAUL TO CIVIL RIGHTS AND HUMAINTY, HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS AND CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY , MUST BE STOPPED, RIGHT NOW!!!, IS A SERIOUS NATIONAL SECURITY PROBLEM, CHILDREN ARE CASULATIES, AS WELL,

1. I’M GOING TO TYPE USING CAPS TO MAKE A POINT.

46. carrie baker 20 Dec 2011, 2:38am

tHER E ARE NO HUMAN GODS AND JESUSES, FALSE MEN AN WOMEN AS GODS AND JESUSES, YOU ARE LOOKING AT SANTANIC ACCULTS LIKE DAVID KARSH AND WARENS, PEOPLE HAD BETTER LOOK THIS MAN GOD RELIGIONS UP ANS SEE THE SICK TESTAMENT OF POLICE OFFICERS AND OTHER ABOUT T THE EVILS AND ABUSES OF THESE PEOPLE, THE NATION IS INSANE AS IT IS, AN DANGEROUS, BECAUSE OF THESE DANGEROUS GROUPS OF PEOPLE CALLED THE TRINITY , OUR NATION HAD BETTER STOP BEING BRAIN WASHED BY HUMAN LIARS, YOU WENT TO SCHOOL WITH SOME OF THESE SICK CREEPS, SOMEBODY DID, SOME BODIES CRAZY ASS SON OR DAUGHTER, WITH EGO COMPLEXESX AN A GREED FOR POWER, MANIPULATION, AND VILATIONS OF OTHERS, WICKED AS THEY BE, THEIR CRAZZY LIKE THESE EVIL HUMAN WANT ING TO PLAY GODS LIKE JOHN EDWARDS SAID THEY ARE JUST MONSTERS, EVIL, DONG OTHERS WRONG, AN THEIR FAMILIES, WANTING TO RULE THE WORLD AN DESTROY , HURT PEOPLE , ABUSE PEOPLE , THEIR TWISTED, GREEDY FOR POWER, WANTING TO ABUSE IT , AN THAT WHAT THEY DO. SYCHOS, DANGERSOUS FALSE HUMAN GODS

1. yes love..now lets get you back in your restraints :-)

2. Jock S. Trap 20 Dec 2011, 9:32am

Calm down, dear!!

3. Spanner1960 20 Dec 2011, 9:36am

Nurse! She’s fallen out of bed again!

4. Galadriel1010 20 Dec 2011, 2:49pm

Wall of caps!

47. Nameo Obum 20 Dec 2011, 3:17am

Peter Thatchell is an idiot. I have no respect for him and never will. That animal has insulted the Pope and all Roman Catholics, violently interrupted Church service in Canterbury and nearly attacked Michael Portillo. If not for Peter Thatchell, the row with Zimbabwe would not have escalated to point that it did.

I hope he visits Nigeria one day.

1. Yeah but the catholics deserve it.

2. Clearly an example of the saying “It takes one to know one”, if so.

3. Jock S. Trap 20 Dec 2011, 9:40am

Blinded much by that ignorance Nameo?

48. Nameo Obum 20 Dec 2011, 3:20am

I am boycotting Tesco.

1. Jock S. Trap 20 Dec 2011, 9:40am

WooHoo!!

2. They do internet deliveries to Nigeria then?

1. Jock S. Trap 20 Dec 2011, 11:06am

They probably charge less for delivery to Nigeria 2 miles down the road here in the UK.

Mind you is Nigeria’s nearest Tesco in Zimbabwe? Well I guess every little helps.

49. I like it when I hear things like this! When a company like Tesco stands firm and committed to a cause, and shows unwavering support.

Whether you like Tesco or not they made a commitment and clearly intend to honor it!

Years ago, a company I worked for became a sponsor for Toronto Pride, and a similar threat was made.

The CEO of the company and the PR people made it very clear that they give community support to the people who support them ‘NOT” people who blackmail or try to bully them.

What goes around comes around! the group that protested lost out on their own charitable donation from the company in the following years.

1. Tesco really are scum though.

Boycotting Tesco for their wilful destruction of rural British towns and their appalling employment and trading practises is a very good idea.

Just because the CI are nutters does not mean that Tesco are not appalling scumbags you know.

Shop local!

1. Now I agree with that reason for boycott

2. @dAVID Don’t get me wrong! there is a charitable side to their business for tax and write down incentives, and there is the mega store monster. I don’t doubt that they know how close they can come to violating employment standards, or crush the little guy because he can’t compete with their loss leaders or volume purchase power deals.

Similarly we have people who boycott Walmart and the like with similar beliefs, Others boycott self check outs because they know by using it employment is lost. Fair market is lost on these companies.

3. Galadriel1010 20 Dec 2011, 2:38pm

I would shop local, but I can’t afford to. Big supermarkets may be an evil, but they are an evil without whom many more people would be struggling at the moment.

50. GingerlyColors 20 Dec 2011, 7:04am

People are boycotting Tesco for numerous reasons. The Christian Institute boycott will not amount to much as people in this country now generally reject religious fundalmentalism. The main gripe about Tesco and the other major supermarkets is that they are establishing themselves in city centres and out-of-town shopping centres and sucking the life out of the small shops and it is time that the government reigned in Tesco along with Asda/Walmart, Sainsbury’s and Morrisons.

1. People keep complaining about this, but equally people moan about high prices. Without supermarkets there would be many more people in food poverty. Sorry, but ‘small local shops’ are bloody expensive and have poor ranges. They are find for emergency use only, not full weekly or monthly shopping.

1. And why do you think Tesco is able to offer low prices – by squeezing their suppliers so tightly that they are barely able to make a living; thereby Tesco shoppers are benefitting from other people’s misery.

And been in a small town centre lately. Ghostly wasn’t it?

Thus the cycle continues.

1. The public voted for Councils that granted planning permission for these out of town behemoths. If the public hadn’t wanted then, no council would have stuck it’s neck out for any chain. They never do.

You need to blame your fellow citizens (or more accurately, fellow subjects).

51. More reason to shop there now! lol

52. Barking up the wrong tree on this site, love – though our new friend ‘Mike’ might be able to help you out.

1. Jock S. Trap 20 Dec 2011, 9:39am

Or Keith.

53. Who cares!. Tesco obviously don’t! Small minded bigots..let them get on with it..

54. His comment read: “I’m also campaigning against evil Christians (that’s not all Christians, just bad ones) who think that gay people should not lead happy lives and get married to their same-sex partners.”

The so-called Christian Institute has obviously recognised itself and admitted being the evil Christians, the bad ones Nick Lansley referred to, taking this action is an admission of guilt by the CI.

55. Jock S. Trap 20 Dec 2011, 9:38am

er…. think your barking up the wrong tree here deary!!

56. soapbubblequeen 20 Dec 2011, 9:41am

Good on Nick Lansley for speaking the truth! So a few uptight evil Christians won’t be shopping in Tescos? So what! It’s hardly going to damage their profit margin is it?

57. If sensible people who care about rural life boycott Tesco for its wilful destruction of British rural life and its appalling business and employment practises then everyone benefits.

I really cannot get worked up about the CI here.

The CI are insane and extremist.

But Tesco is worse for Britain than the CI is.

The next time you buy your kilo of apples remember that Tesco can give you those low prices through exploiting farmers.

1. Do you not shop at any supermarkets then?

58. You missed out the “illiterate” in your self-description, Emmy. This is a gay site. If you look REALLY carefully you may work that out.

59. Sometimes you’re just left baffled by how stupid some people are. Nick Lansley was entirely justified in the comments he made regarding religion ESPECIALLY after the incredibly cruel and unnecessary comments left on his youtube video, if I was in his position my comments would’ve been far harsher. Several people call the man an abomination and a disgusting faggot, and he responds with “I’m also campaigning against evil Christians (that’s not all Christians, just bad ones) who think that gay people should not lead happy lives and get married to their same-sex partners.” Which is, in my opinion, a perfectly reasonable and more than justified response.

60. David Nottingham 20 Dec 2011, 10:46am

Sensible people these TESCO folk. Who are they going to prefer to alienate? The Pink Pound or a few religious crankies (thankfully seriously in the minority)? I suspect TESCO don’t give a damn about being boycotted!

61. Its PINK NEWS dear for the LGBT community……yes thats right… Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender…so cut and paste (oh no, that will confuse her!) and put it on the other ‘Pink’ website you must have been thinking of. Pink Match? Pretty in Pink? was it? Keep trying dear , keep trying!

62. Sonya Mulligan 20 Dec 2011, 12:58pm

Makes tesco a nicer & safer place to shop in I would have thought! Thanks for the boycott ‘Christians’!

63. well there will be less tesco clubcard points to send out in the post so its a win for the enviroment!!

64. I quite like our new Tesco’s, they even have a guy working for them with dreadlocks!!!

65. This one had me chuckling to myself – why so poorly rated? It’s hilarious

66. Excellent PR…

We’re all fed up of the “evil” and nutty christians like the CI …

It’s not only LGBT people think they’re absolutely mad and totally out of order…

Surprised the CI haven’t come out with a boycott of Tesco simply because it serves gays..

Amazing isn’t it, gay people eat the same things as Christians…I thought we were considered an alien species..

67. David Skinner 21 Dec 2011, 8:23am

Nick Lansely, Head of Tesco Research and Development, a founding father of Tesco. com and lead figure in Out at Tesco, recorded himself reading the poem, the Love that Dares to Speak its Name. This poem is designed to cause the maximum distress and offence to Christians. It is an obscene and blasphemous description of necrophilia. GOD IS NOT MOCKED

1. Spanner1960 21 Dec 2011, 2:15pm

Oh. Its good to know something touches a nerve with you people then.
      How does it feel to be on the other end for once?

2. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 21 Dec 2011, 5:17pm

Mr Skinner, do you have a direct-dial number for Yahweh? I’d like to ask HIM/HER/IT a few questions… just asking, as you seem to be in the know. Let Yahweh speak for himself (and lo, a silence fell on the Earth)… let the sheep speak for the lambs, more like. Do you not think that when the original bibble-thrusting Yahweh returns he won’t smote you and your ilk for your Pauline Heresy?!

3. God is not mocked because God is NOT THERE, you clampet!

68. The Christian Institute are out to make Tescos pay for being a Gay Pride 2012 sponsor and that’s all there is to it. If you have the stomach, check out the CI’s 16th Dec YouTube news bulletin where they slyly imply that Nick Lansley’s Flickr post in 2008 was made recently – the newsreader says that the comments “follow” those made by the ‘Facebook row’ Christian… who wrote his in Feb 2011!

69. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 21 Dec 2011, 5:22pm

When the Christian Institute get involved, it makes me want to spend my hard earned money all the more in Tesco! It must have been a bad day in 2000 when the second coming didn’t happen – nearly 12 years later we’re still waiting… you know, it’s like the bibble is entirely man-made… funny that.

70. Yesterday I posted a comment on the Christian Institute’s Facebook page, pointing out when Nick Lansley’s comments were made. I have now been banned from their page, and my comment was deleted!

71. David Skinner 22 Dec 2011, 11:27am

Mr Ripley’s Asscrack, you won’t have to wait too long for the Return of Jesus Christ. It happens the moment you die and your are bum rushed into his presence. This event might happen in 10 years, one year, one month, even within the next few minutes. I just hope you are ready.

1. So you predict it within the next few minutes, month, year, ten years …. perhaps the next two thousand … he’s coming soon – hasn’t that been the cry of extremists for centuries …. strange that …

1. Galadriel1010 22 Dec 2011, 9:51pm

David Skinner’s saying that the Return of Jesus (ROJ) happens on death, and is pointing out that we never know when that will come. I sincerely hope that it will be a long time coming for all of us.

1. I’m not convinced that David Skinners interpretation is the way you see it, Galadriel1010 …

I suspect (given his previous comments elsewhere on PN) he is tad more like the Christian Institute in his extremism than you in your reasonableness …

2. Well, clearly the next few minutes didnt happen – care to try again – bit more of an accurate ETA???

3. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 24 Dec 2011, 4:03pm

Good, I enjoy a good bums-rush! But technically-speaking, that wouldn’t be a return (as it is written, would it?!!). Is that the stupid nonsense that you espouse to your ‘community’?! Having watched my mum die of the most painful cancer that her ‘God’ could throw at her, I ain’t scared of dying, lepton. Thanks for wishing me dead though, at least I know I can still irk some reluded teuchters! Sorry for laughing at you, but I can’t help but think you are wasting your intelligence – but then, you are probably getting free-board and lots of personal gratification espousing crap to vulnerable people.

72. damnedfilth 22 Dec 2011, 11:48am

Leaving the whole main story aside, it is interesting to see that Tesco gives over £60 million in charity every year.

That sort of thing never seems to get reported when large companies are described as greedy and evil by the press.

I wonder how much the Guardian Media Group gives to charity per year?

1. Whilst this is from 2009 and it doesnt fully answer your question about Guardian Media Group – it does answer some of your questions … please bear in mind the difference in size of revenues from Tesco to GMG …

73. This is the beginning of the end for the Christian Institute. In the past 48 hours the have published two more stories involving Tesco, both repeat the “Tesco has dumped Cancer research in favour of Gay Pride” lie. It’s only a matter of time before they find themselves on the wrong end of a lawsuit, and a lawsuit involving Tesco is only going to end one way!

1. Not to mention the fact they recently pissed off a bunch of MPs with their fake “forced sex-ed for tots” story. Trust me, if they keep digging this hole it’ll soon be too deep for them to climb out of!

1. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 24 Dec 2011, 4:33pm

It is a no-brainer… Tesco has a different charity of the year, every year, and this year money is going towards Alzheimer’s charities (I think) – and quite rightly so. It’s just media-whoring on their part, but it shows them up for what they are – ankle biters. No doubt doing it as some yawnsome tale of (im)morality for the ears of the vulnerable who think of these people as their leaders and saviours… Oscar Wilde said history will be the death of religion, but really religious torpitude like this is doing the trick nicely. Tesco would never sue the likes of these cretinous ogres of the badly written books… doing so would play into the hands of these reluded chimps. Imagine “persecuted by the mighty Tesco” headlines etc…

74. David Skinner 24 Dec 2011, 10:47am

A phobia is an irrational fear or hatred of something – something which presumably can be clinically diagnosed .
    Bigotry is an ignorant prejudice based upon societal conditioning.
    I have to say that the LGBTs are guilty of both for they suffer from the following in good measure:
    ALATHEIAPHOBIC BIGOTRY Hatred of Truth ulathaphobic
    THEOSOPHOBIC BIGOTRY Hatred of God
    HAGIOTESPHOBIC BIGOTRY : hatred of holiness hagiotasephobic
    PAEDOPHOBIC BIGOTRY Hatred of Children
    MOROPHOBIC BIGOTRY hatred of babies
    LOGOPHOBIC BIGOTRY hatred of reason
    The LGBTs are incapable of mounting a rational reasoned debate as to why being gay is good and healthy for society. Instead they resort to mantras, personal attack and sheer bigotry.
    No technology, no reasoned debates, no appeal to common sense, or health and safety can stop this cancer eating away at the heart of our nation.

1. This has to be the funniest thing I’ve read all week. Homosexuality has existed since there was life on earth. It always has, and it always will. Nothing you can say or do will change that, or undo the progress that has been made in regards to LGBT rights. Merry Chistmas!

2. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 24 Dec 2011, 3:52pm

Wow! Cut-and-paste-a-licious! But strangely made up too – but then my OED does not have an reluded section? So what reasoned debate are YOU capable of the Mr Skinner? Without resorting to quoting that man-made mantra of the Yahweh-Yeshua myth? Given that most people of faith are totally ignorant of the truth around bibblic (sic) events and stories, it is YOU who is blind and bigotted. Rest assured, I will always go out of my way to inform myopic ‘christians’ of some of the truths of the bibble. We (gays) are part of YOUR society (god-made, in your terms) but only a tiny-bibble-mind would think that a person has to be good or bad for society – Santa would be so proud… bless!

3. David Millar 25 Dec 2011, 9:50pm

sorry I didnt think that anyone was actually INTENDING to mount a `..debate as to why being gay is good and healthy for society`. Whether it is or not is irrelevant. We are here, and that`s it…gay christians included.

4. David Millar 25 Dec 2011, 9:54pm

sorry i didnt think gays were actually trying to `..mount a debate as to why being gay is good and healthy for society…`
      We are just here, and always have been gay christians included)

5. It”s funny. I don’t suffer from any of these and I’m gay. I like how you like to bash other peoples’ beliefs and call it THE TRUTH and when someone bashes your beliefs we hate God and truth. You are full of sh*t!!!

6. What do God botherers know of rationality or reasoned debate?

75. David Millar 25 Dec 2011, 9:59pm

sorry I didnt think gays were ACTUALLY trying to `…mount a debate as to why being gay is good and healthy for society…`
    We are just here. And always have been ( gay christians included)

76. You know, anti gay Christians and organizations like this only give themselves a bad name. It kind of crosses a weird line when people say that a facebook post or a private yet public arena comment is seized and people are put in the news for it.

I also wonder why it took 3 yrs for this to be brought into the spotlight

77. David Skinner 27 Dec 2011, 6:21pm

David Miller what you say might be true of being black or white. These are states of being, but gays do not claim mere neutrality; they claim superiority: Frank Kameny, the gay rights pioneer coined the slogan “Gay is Good,”
    The Rev Sharon Ferguson argues that lesbian mothers make better mothers than straight ones.
    Chai Feldblum says that gay sex is morally good and Government has a duty to promote it.
    Peter Tatchell says “In many ways, our transcending of heterosexual mores is a positive and immensely liberating experience. Compared with most straights, queers tend to be more sexually adventurous with a wider repertoire of sexual behaviour, less bound by the strictures of traditional morality, and more experimental in terms of relationships. We don’t need a marriage certificate to validate our partnerships,. In all these senses, the fact that homosexuals are different from heterosexuals is a real virtue….

1. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 30 Dec 2011, 5:53pm

And the last word?! We claim no such thing as superiority, Mr Skinner, except equality.

As for the slogans of yesteryear, saying “Gay is good” is hardly being superior, it says ‘inclusive’ to me, given that it was penned for the 1960s America.

As for Rev Ferguson, do straight couples have the monopoly for loving their children? Feldblum – never heard of her but I bet that the promotion part is about being included in the curriculum because WE DO EXIST, you know? And Tatchell penned those in the 90s and hardly relevant to Tesco, Mr Lansley and the cronies at your embittered and deluded Christian Institute, but as most people would agree, he doesn’t speak for all of us.

Conclusion: you are baiting us for responses and trying to big yourself up Equality, in human-terms, removes Yahweh and its sad, deluded adherents from the arguments.

78. All Christian theology is misogynistic, homophobic and fascist. More importantly, it’s about as true as Goldilocks and theaTres Bears! Christians are driven by hatred, like their Jewish and Muslim counterparts. The Communists had the right idea about religion. I would ask Christians to query why their tithes and donations were used in the cover-up of the rape and torture of innocent children around the world. Why no boycott of these Christian churches? Why no boycott of Islam for “honour” murders and hanging of young gay bits? Why no boycott of Judaism for its hatred of Palestinians?

79. stan James 30 Mar 2012, 1:38am

heres my contribution to xtianity

I bought two large dildoes on ebay.

Cut one in half and put them together with some epoxy

In the shape of a cross.

Best place to use it – get the kiddies laughing. Help insure they understand that the only place a cross belongs is in ones butt.

Too late to help the jesus freaks, but we can really help secularize the next generation.

and send the powermonger cultist leaders to the UNemployment lines.

Just wondering – do they give out free dog food to broke bums on the street in England.