One half of Canadian ‘gay’ penguin couple finds a straight mate

1. balloonable 13 Dec 2011, 10:56am

This article says that neither had previously mated with a female, but the BBC website says:

“Buddy, 21, had a female partner for a decade and produced chicks.”

2. Well I’m guessing that the Christian right will love this one!

1. My view is the penguin is bisexual …

1. Or not boxable, just like many of us humans??

1. ambisexual, maybe.

hey, this is educational !!

2. Maybe not boxable …

who cares whether they have a label or not, when they are a penguin though … to be frank …

2. Maybe the penguin found Jesus? ;)

3. Jock S. Trap 13 Dec 2011, 11:20am

Only the bigotted in humanity would see fit to do this in an attempt to ‘correct’ nature.

Silly fools, don’t they know nature has a way of getting what it wants without bigotted humans dictating terms… no matter how religious the fruitloops dictators are.

1. Only 1 t in bigoted. At least spell your insults correctly. Clearly neither of the two penguins were actually gay they just had a close friendship. As soon as nature came along and played her cards they stopped being gay. I suppose you’ll say that one is bi-sexual?

It’s a lovely story about the penguins yet sadly it got hijacked by people wanting to score political capital from it. Now they are no longer ‘gay’ perhaps you’ll leave the story there.

1. Funny… I always thought it was the zealots who began the trend of making political capitol from insisting that homosexuality doesn’t occur in nature. Well it makes no difference either way… the naturalistic fallacy is both a flawed argument in terms of being debunked time and again in our favour, but also in terms of “nature demonstrates this, therefore people should learn by it”.
        But I’ll be sure to point out it’s a flawed argument the next time the fundies come out the woodwork telling us that in their opinion it doesn’t occur in nature, ergo it’s wrong.

2. There are two ts in bigotted in England. The single t is American style. Ask you editor!

1. And this former editor would say, in English it’s bigoted, following the same rule as riveted (as the OED says: Do not double the final consonant when adding endings which begin with a vowel to a word which ends in a vowel plus a consonant, if the stress is not at the end of the word (as in target): (rivets, riveting, riveted)). Sorry, way off topic!

1. gaymenwithsense 13 Dec 2011, 1:57pm

these penguins live in a zoo. Their lives aren’t natural ANYWAY. They prove nothing either way,

2. Jock S. Trap 13 Dec 2011, 2:35pm

Quite gaymenwithsense and had this been in there natural habitat they would have been left alone to their own devices without the interference of busy body bigotted human beings.

Surely the least we can do if we’re responsible in looking after them is let them create their own natural lifes of which we have no part apart from ensuring shetler is adequate for their needs.

3. What enables you to mind-read penguins?
        What evidence do you have for an entity called ‘nature’ that ‘plays cards’?
        Your post is very silly.

4. Good greif.

I don’t give a fak about bloody penguins and I would not use one to justify my existence.

1. That is because you tend to think “inside” the box with only a small frame of reference as your world view.

See the bigger picture.

1. Jock S. Trap 13 Dec 2011, 1:25pm

Steady now Dave, small and narrow is all James! can muster.

Honestly are we not part of nature?

I do not have to prove or justify my sexuality take it or leave it ffs. Arguing for your right to be true to yourself weakens you.

As far as I’m concerned I’m a homosexual and there is no debate.

You guys are fighting the wrong battle

1. Jock S. Trap 13 Dec 2011, 2:37pm

Er? – crazy says what now?

2. Huh James! …???

2. So dave the bigger picture is if you can prove that penguins can be gay then you’ve won the argument that being gay is natural.

5. Some gay people simply happen to have children. For what ever the reason their nature or society prevailed at the time. My 2 kids are the apples of my eye, my ex wife best friend and my husband a real gem. Lucky me. Go figure.

1. Glad it all worked out. x

6. Birdkeeper 13 Dec 2011, 2:56pm

Oh my god, guys. The simple truth is birds can mate with a female and then upon separation mate with a male, and again and again. They’re not as caught up in gender as we humans are, it literally doesn’t matter.

(Has owned birds for years. At one point had a cage of two male and two female zebra finches and the males mated each other and the females mated each other IN THE SAME CAGE. So it.. yeah.)

1. Arent pengiuns usually monogamous???

1. Galadriel1010 16 Dec 2011, 1:47pm

They are. Like swans and nostrovites

7. That’s why I don’t date bi guys; they always run back to women when the social pressure is too much. It’s happened to me twice, 3+ years with each! – never again – not to mention the countless first-date-bi-guys that want me to go back into the closet where they are frozen. I support and celebrate the full spectrum of sexuality and the infinite levels in between, but after 40 years, I just want something that will stay in my bed without handcuffs.

1. They are birds. You realise that right?

2. Irritated bisexual woman 18 Dec 2011, 12:03pm

You sound like my partner’s ex, who was always criticising him for being bi, saying, “You don’t really fancy me, do you?” and pressuring him to say that he was gay. That’s not social pressure, that’s biphobia. If you’re this unpleasant to your partners, no wonder they leave you.

8. I hate what they did to these penguins. Splitting them up was cruel.

I hope they get back together me and my bf want to go see them.

9. Hang on. The two guys have never mated. Therefore why does everyone think they’re gay? Bromance isn’t homosexuality!

1. Funny how some people think you can be straight even if you don’t have sex but you can’t be gay unless you do. It’s about feelings, not just genitalia.

1. Well, if you have relationships with guys and never want to have sex with them, and have relationships with women where you do have sex with them, you are probably a biromantic heterosexual.

If you are a penguin, you definitely aren’t gay, because I’m pretty sure they don’t have the social pressures that result in gay guys that sex up ladies but not fellas.

1. Exactly!

2. I’m not sure we can safely venture an opinion about the social pressures experienced by penguins. And I suppose there is always the statistical possibility of teaming up with a ‘straight’ penguin of your own sex who wants your companionship but is not interested in humping with you. Or is just not very highly sexed. In which case you could be a gay penguin not having sex.

2. “Bromance isn’t homosexuality!”

A rose by any other name, sunshine…. to coin a phrase, romances are gay.

1. Should read:- to coin a phrase, bromances are gay.

1. So by your logic, having a ‘faghag’ makes you straight. Silly me, I thought sexual preference was defined by…SEXUAL preference…?

1. What on earth are you talking about Alex? Seriously. Bromances and fag hags? Grow up. You’re just babbling now about defending your “bromances” from your “fag hags” – who cares. You obviously don;t know what you’re trying to say, so quit boring us with your sexual “preferences”

2. Rob, there’s no need to be rude. Let me simplify for you. If a ‘bromance’ (two guys who are friends) is gay, then gay men with women friends are straight.

3. Jock S. Trap 19 Dec 2011, 10:09am

Alex – you’re a very crazy, uneducated person ain’t ya? Or simply putting it… confused!

3. If you have a friendship with a guy of the same gender and it’s becoming more than just a good friendship, I’d say that’s a relationship.
      ‘Bromance’ is just a coy way of pussyfooting round the big gay elephant in the room.

1. No. It’s your way of redefining homosexuality to make the numbers seem greater. Having a friend of the same sex does not necessarily mean you’re gay. Having SEX with someone from the same sex makes you gay. Or do you think every straight person whose best friend is of the same gender a closet case?

1. “Or do you think every straight person whose best friend is of the same gender a closet case?”

Why are you in here defending your “bromances”? Who cares. We don’t. Clearly you have an issue with it. Talk to someone who gets paid to listen, we aren’t really interested in closet cases who are worried what people think of their “friendships”.

What a douche.

1. Reminds me of a homophobe I knew who said that a dread consequence of affriming gay relationships would be people assuming that his friendships with other men were ‘unchaste’. He didn’t seem anxious that a culture plugging heterosexuality 24/7 would lead to assumptions that his associations with women not his wife were also ‘unchaste’. Of course.

2. Riondo hits the nail on the head… the whole “bromance” euphamism is either the epithet of choice from someone deeply paranoid that someone might perceive his friendship as more than ‘just good friends’ protesting too much, or a guy so deep in the closet he’s found Narnia trying to pass off an all-consuming same-sex infatuation in terms which don’t immediately sound overtly gay to gullable people.
            There is a substantial crossover beween the two groups.
            If you don’t belong in either group, what you have is a friendship.

3. I’ve had Bromance’s with straight guys, its never sexual but its just a very close friendship.

4. Rob, you obviously do care since I seem to have touched a nerve. Quite funny really how some people easily get wound up…

2. I am so glad you guys clarified it! lol! from here on in I am just going to think of Bromances as Homosexuality “Lite!”

3. @ Alex – if that’s the case why the need to re-classify a perfectly ordinary FRIENDship as a so-called “bromance”? Seems a bit redundant doesn’t it?

1. Damn, clicked thumbs-down by mistake.

4. Galadriel1010 16 Dec 2011, 1:50pm

Correction, being sexually attracted to someone of the same sex makes you gay. I’ve never had sex with anyone, but that doesn’t mean I’m asexual /tmi

1. But asexual people definitely can have relationships that are more than friendships, so obviously being gay is not necessary to have something that is more than a “perfectly ordinary friendship” with someone of the same sex.

2. Galadriel1010 21 Dec 2011, 8:28pm

shaed, you seem to have missed the point by a long way. I am sexually attracted to women, therefore I am gay. Not having had sex does not negate this and make me asexual.

10. Bring a whole new meaning to the term P-P-Pick up a Penguin

11. This about changing sexual behaviour.

If this transforms into a gay rights issue. I will create my own gay scene for us gay men only.

1. “I will create my own gay scene for us gay men only.” – A gay scene for one is just a mostly empty room with one w*ker in it.

12. de Villiers 14 Dec 2011, 8:17am

I can’t believe people are seriously commenting about a pair of penguins.

1. I don’t think they are. Behind the penguins stand a few large elephants.