Rufus Wainwright speaks of “manly” album, having “certainly enough gay records”

1. JIlted John 8 Dec 2011, 1:52pm

I fear he’s actually a bit of a knob…..

1. And, to put it his terms, a gay knob, not a manly knob.

2. Gay records versus his “manly”
    records?

Personally I though they were all just awful, but whatever helps him sleep at night.

1. Maybe he should grow a beard when he’s doing one of his manly albums, or perhaps go whaling or something.

3. hes quite unusual as an artist- but you either like him or loathe him and as ive got all of his records you can guess which camp im in! Go Roofie!

4. I’ve never thought his voice was all that really.

5. He’s certainly not eloquent.

I’ve also heard the rumours that he’s an arrogant @$$hole.

His career certainly hasn’t lived up to his ego.

His sister Martha is the talent in that family.

Rufus is all pomp and very little substance I think.

6. Spiritbody 8 Dec 2011, 2:16pm

He’s a brilliant singer/songwriter and Want One is in my top 5 albums of all time. I look forward to anything that he does and I rarely feel disappointed with the result.

1. Pope John 21st 8 Dec 2011, 5:10pm

You’ve actually heard of him? I haven’t.

2. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 8 Dec 2011, 5:17pm

I’d agree to that.

7. Suddenly Last Bummer 8 Dec 2011, 2:44pm

Its ok, he’s gay so he can suggest that being gay isn’t manly. Tw@t. I thought he couldn’t top starting a dynsaty of musical geniuses with Leonard Cohen’s daughter but the guy just keeps excelling as a self absorbed pontificating kn0b head.

1. His comments make me wonder about his levels of intelligence (or lack thereof).

Who is Rufus Wainwright’s audience?

Seeing as the gay press is where he gets most (or at least a LOT) of his exposure, he should be smart enough to realise that his gay audience is a large components of his (admittedly small) fanbase.

What type of idiot would then make the claim that his new album is ‘manly’ unlike his earlier ‘gay’ albums.

Seriously. How utterly moronic of him. Way to alienate your main audience.

As I’ve already said – his sister Martha Wainwright is far more talented (and pleasant) than Rufus Wainwright.

1. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 8 Dec 2011, 5:23pm

Piffle – they are a talented family of musicians. His last album wasn’t all that great/bit of a let down, granted, but his first 4 albums (eponymous, Poses, Want One/Two) are gems.

8. Who is this fool and what is he talking about?

1. Quite understandable you’ve not heard of him. Despite his huge ego, Rufus Wainwright’s career has been startlingly mediocre and minor.

1. Spiritbody 9 Dec 2011, 12:58pm

Only if you think of success in terms of chart entries. And even then it has to be said, Release The Stars went straight in at number 2 in the UK album charts.

But seeing as Rufus has often been hailed as one of the greatest songwriters of our generation, by people like Michael Stipe, Lou Reed, Elton John and Rolling Stone magazine, means that it cant really be described as a minor or mediocre career. 6 studio albums, all critically acclaimed, an opra and a sell out re-staging of Judy Garlands Carnegie Hall show- I think the guys a genius.

A bit of an egotistical prick sometimes probably. But I get that feeling from the whole family to be honest

1. He may be talented but he is most certainly a niche artist who has never enjoyed mainstream success.

So how incredibly stupid he must be to offend and insult(accidentally or not) the largest portion of his fanbase.

Intelligence and musical ability clearly do not go together when it comes to Martha Wainwright’s older brother.

9. gorgeous as i might think his voice is, what a load of crap

10. He’s always come accross as a tw@t

11. Pope John 21st 8 Dec 2011, 5:08pm

He sounds like he thinks the world revolves around him.

12. Mr. Ripley's Asscrack 8 Dec 2011, 5:54pm

Great just loving these comments… Just after you’ve kicked Rufus’ corpse to death, can I shout ‘all he wanted to do was create music’!

Since when is manly something to frown about? I’m gay but I am quite manly in my ways!

His first albums are ‘filmic’ in sound like soundtracks of musicals and are lovely and different from those media whore recording pop-tarts who don’t ever sing about a gay man’s life but merely sing the word ‘gay’ in song and is a champion of our cause… (blah)

Maybe his new album will move away from his usual musical soundtrack with orchestral flourish to a more direct sound – hope it’s better than Release the stars as it lacked focus imho.

1. Rufus is saying that this album is “manly” and that makes it different from his other records that are “gay”. If being manly is what makes this record not gay, well then he is saying that gay is not manly.

I think it is reasonable for someone to take offense to what he said. I also think it reasonable to not care what a minor celebrity that appeals only to a very small niche of the music world says about his upcoming album.

1. I think everyone is taking this a LOT too seriously. If I say to my friends (as a gay man) that im doing something “manly” or “butch” i am not denegrating camp/gayness in any way…and frankly his latest works have been pretty damn camp…can we please all stop leaping on anything we thinks smacks of homophobia as if someones been murdered and save the indignation for something that actually matters please!

1. Yes but Rufus Wainwright is NOT doing that.

He is basically saying ‘This is a manly album unlike my early unmanly (read ‘gay’) albums.

For a singer to insult a large portion of his (admittedly small) fanbase like this is deeply stupid behaviour.

He probably doesn’t mean to be insulting. Nonetheless it is insulting.

1. Oh honestly..

is there NOTHING you do not take offence at?

13. Comparing Rufus Wainwright with the wonderful Jeff Buckley is unfair but it’s a comparison Rufus has invited by attempting his own version of Hallelujah, unfortunately it exposes his vocal and stylistic shortcomings that even his splicing into the Cohen family doesn’t ameliorate.
    I don’t want to spoil things for anyone else, this is just my opinion and of course we all have one of those.

14. I like Rufus, but immediately took offence to the suggestion. However, having actually read the article it seems he means “manly for him.” Like when a drag queen puts on a pantsuit. I don’t think he is saying manly≠gay=bad. But really, we should all stop defining ourselves in terms of gender stereotypes and just be as “camp” or not as we want, regardless of sexuality. Really, how can a CD be manly? Does it come with a penis?

1. michaelangelo 9 Dec 2011, 12:30pm

If they come with penises, I hope that Zac Efron releases a solo album, pronto.

15. michaelangelo 9 Dec 2011, 12:29pm

Because “gay” and “manly” never go together? Love your early work, Rufus, but you can often be a gigantic douchebag. And the Judy album blows.

16. Really, it’s bad enough non-gay people thinking ‘gay’ and ‘manly’ are antonyms, it really doesn’t help when a gay man perpetuates this sort of silliness.

17. I conciser myself very manly gay man. So does 50 cent I suppose. Got that Rufus?

18. Jock S. Trap 19 Dec 2011, 10:04am

Why does he sounds like someone with something to prove? It’s a bit sad.